The School of Aerospace, Transport and Manufacturing has over 20 years experience of running aerodynamic wind tunnel tests for the a range of sectors. Read more Read less
We are able to give clients advice and guidance on the best use of our diverse range of facilities using some of the latest experimental techniques.
In addition to the wind tunnels several other facilities are available:
- Donnington Wind Tunnel – The Donnington low speed with tunnel has a working section 0.9m2 and a maximum flow velocity of 30m/s. The tunnel is equipped with a 3D traverse rig, floor mounted yawable turntable and all round optical access. Measurement capabilities include six component force balances, simultaneous pressure measurement, stereoscopic PIV and flow visualisation techniques.
- Water Tunnel – the water tunnel is a gravity fed 0.22m2 facility with an adjustable flow up to 22cm/s. With good all round optical access the multiple feed points and ease of seeding make the tunnel ideal for flow visualisation studies and PIV measurements.
- Blower Tunnels - Two small blower tunnels with flow speed up to 30m/s.The tunnels have interchangeable duct and radiator flow simulation rigs. Facility for directional probe calibration, ease of access for flow visualisation studies and can be equipped with rigs for gust simulation.
- Pipe Rig – The lab has a 12m pipe rig of 100mm diameter with a maximum flow speed of 30m/s. the rig is equipped with multiple static pressure tappings along length, access for Pitot traversing at 6 locations and Orifice plate flow measurement. Made of Perspex and easy to seed the rig is also used for flow visualisation.
Using the facility
- Small scale model studies
- Automotive radiator flows
- Probe Calibration
- Gust simulation
- PIV study of vortical flows