Elements of this Module will be undertaken at Cranfield University at Shrivenham located on the Defence Academy of the United Kingdom. Security clearance will be required if this module is selected. Please refer to our entry requirements section for more details, or see further about security clearance for Cranfield at Shrivenham.
Please go to the 'Upgrade to a professional qualification' section for more information.
This module will enhance student’s knowledge and understanding of the development and functioning of risk management and mitigation in the context of terrorism and counterterrorism. The module will outline methods for assessing vulnerabilities associated with those threats, assessing specific risks, and how to make decisions about how to manage and mitigate these. The scope of the methods includes reducing direct and indirect damage across a range of different attack risks.
At a glance
- Please enquire for course dates
- Duration5 days
- LocationCranfield University at Shrivenham
£1,340 - Short Course for Credit Fee
£1,750 - Standalone Short Course FeeConcessions available
What you will learn
On successful completion of the course you will be able to:
- To develop an understanding of terrorism risk management through risk identification, measurement, management and mitigation,
- To develop a critical understanding of the nature and importance of effective risk management processes,
- An ability to assess the techniques associated with risk identification, estimation, evaluation and management in the context of terrorism and related threats,
- To evaluate the opportunities and challenges in applying techniques of risk management and mitigation with regard to terrorism and related threats,
- To appraise and develop mitigation strategies for various terrorism scenarios.
- The concept, development and characteristics of risk management and resilience,
- Risk assessment and risk management techniques,
- Understanding terrorist threats, decision-making and attack planning,
- Insights & lessons from situational crime prevention,
- Case studies in terrorism risk management,
- Risk mitigation and resilience in the context of terrorism threats,
- Future trends and issues for terrorism risk management and mitigation.
Upgrade to a professional qualification
After successful completion of this course 20 credits can be put towards the Counterterrorism MSc or Counterterrorism, Risk Management and Resilience MSc
Cranfield credits are available for this short course which you can put towards selected Cranfield degrees. Find out more about short course credit points.
ConcessionsThere are limited places on these modules. You may not receive an offer until places have been confirmed, usually 1 to 2 weeks before the start date.
Location and travel
Cranfield Defence and Security (CDS) is a Cranfield School based at the Ministry of Defence establishment on the Oxfordshire/Wiltshire borders.
Shrivenham itself lies in the picturesque Vale of the White Horse, close to the M4 motorway which links London and South Wales. It is 7 miles from Swindon, the nearest town, which lies off the M4 at the hub of Britain’s motorway network.
Bath, Cheltenham, Bristol and Oxford are all within an hour’s drive and London less than two hours away by car.
All visitors must be pre-booked in at reception by the person they are visiting on the campus.
Read our Professional development (CPD) booking conditions.