Please go to the 'Upgrade to a professional qualification' section for more information.
At a glance
- 05 - 09 Jun 2023
- Duration5 days
- LocationCranfield campus
- Cost£965 Concessions available
What you will learn
- Explain how an excavation is planned and run
- Transfer theoretical knowledge of excavation techniques into practical use
- Recover safely and record rigorously material uncovered in the excavation
- Critically assess the most important features of an excavation and determine appropriate techniques
- Communicate results to other persons both archaeological experts and lay member of the public.
- Planning an excavation
- Logistical practical and health and safety issues
- Practical excavation skills
- Man management and organisation skills
- Drawing, planning and recording an excavation
- Small finds
- The care of human remains
- Press, the public and other partners.
Upgrade to a professional qualificationThis short course will be taught at Masters standard as it is one of the modules that comprise the postgraduate Forensic Modular Masters Programme. Registering for this Short Course for Credit and successfully passing the associated assessment will gain you 10 Cranfield credits. These could then be used to apply for a transfer towards a PgCert/PgDip or MSc in the Forensic Programme should you wish to complete one of these courses within 5 years.
Who should attendThere are no prerequisites for this course but a basic standard of physical fitness is required.
The short courses are modules of the Forensic Modular Masters Programme, which is accredited by The Chartered Society of Forensic Sciences.
Sponsored by company - £1,925
Individual (anyone paying for themselves to attend) - £965
Alumni/Current Student - £485
Accommodation options and pricesPlease contact us for information regarding accommodation.
Location and travel
Situated close to Milton Keynes and Bedford, the Cranfield campus is situated in Wharley End, very close to Cranfield village, and is about 10 minutes from the M1 motorway. There is rail and road access to most major airports as well as coach and train stations. Cranfield campus also has its own airport for private executive business travel.
Download a visitor guide including map, directions and health and safety information.
How to apply
To apply for this course please use the online application form.
Read our Professional development (CPD) booking conditions.