To allow you to assess the role of simulation modelling across the systems engineering lifecycle, from concept through to disposal. The module will enable students to critically assess the roles and applications of simulation modelling and to analyse issues related to quantitative modelling such as data availability and model verification and validation. It will also allow students to create and evaluate simple models.
At a glance
- Please enquire for course dates
- Duration5 days
- LocationCranfield campus
- Cost£920 - Accredited Short Course fee
What you will learn
On successful completion of the course delegates will be able to:
- Evaluate the role of simulation modelling in the successful realization of systems
- Critically evaluate the issues surrounding the use of simulation models in the systems engineering lifecycle.
- Appreciate the key benefits and risks associated with a number of modelling paradigms.
- Build and analyse simple models using a range of methodologies.
Core contentUnit 1: Foundations of Simulation Modelling
• The fundamental concepts of simulation modelling and how simulation is used in the SE lifecycle.
• The theoretical basis of quantitative modelling
• The role of modelling in supporting decision making.
Unit 2: Appreciation of Modelling in the SE Context
• Model types; discrete and continuous, stochastic and deterministic.
• Model appropriateness: the verification and validation of models, data considerations, model fidelity
• Model interoperability and networking.
Unit 3: Introduction to Modelling Paradigms
• Discrete event simulation
• System dynamics modelling
• Agent based models
• Virtual reality
Unit 4: Model building and analysis
• Introduction to simulation methods and tools
• Simulation as experimentation.
Upgrade to a professional qualification
After successful completion of this Accredited Short Course, 10 credit points can be put towards the Systems Engineering MSc.
Find out more about short course credit points.
Location and travel
Read our Professional development (CPD) booking conditions.