To develop the technical requirements and characteristics of armoured fighting vehicles and weapon systems, and to examine the interactions between the various sub-systems and consequential compromises and trade-offs.
At a glance
- 12 - 27 Jul 2022
- Duration5 days
- LocationCranfield University at Shrivenham
What you will learn
On successful completion of this module a student should be able to:
- demonstrate an understanding of the engineering principles involved in matching elements of the vehicle and weapon system together
- propose concepts for vehicle and weapon systems, taking into account incomplete and possibly conflicting user requirements
- effectively apply solid modelling in outlining proposed solutions
- interpret relevant legislation and standards and understand their relevance to vehicle and weapon systems
- work effectively in a team, communicate and make decisions
- report the outcome of a design study orally to a critical audience.
The topics covered include:
- application of systems engineering practice to an armoured fighting vehicle and weapon system
- practical aspects of concept development and system integration
- ammunition stowage, handling, replenishment and their effects on crew performance and safety
- >applications of power, data and video bus technology to next generation armoured fighting vehicles
- packaging and design of armoured vehicles.
Accredited by IMechE as part of the MSc Programme.
Location and travel
Cranfield Defence and Security (CDS) is a Cranfield School based at the Ministry of Defence establishment on the Oxfordshire/Wiltshire borders.
Shrivenham itself lies in the picturesque Vale of the White Horse, close to the M4 motorway which links London and South Wales. It is 7 miles from Swindon, the nearest town, which lies off the M4 at the hub of Britain’s motorway network.
Bath, Cheltenham, Bristol and Oxford are all within an hour’s drive and London less than two hours away by car.
All visitors must be pre-booked in at reception by the person they are visiting on the campus.
Read our Professional development (CPD) booking conditions.