The aim of this short course is to enhance practical skills and hands-on embedded hardware development and programming experience on small UAV and similar robotic platforms. Short and concise taught sessions will be focused on state-of-the-art technologies in modern autonomous UAV system architectures, system design processes, applications, resource procurements and testing methods. Practical sessions and demonstrations comprise majority of the course with real-world application relevance. You will gain hands-on experience on designing, troubleshooting, software development and testing.
This course is designed with a focus on hands-on experience. Alongside the lectures, there will be multiple laboratory sessions and demos, to implement the theoretical understanding of various concepts. After completing the course, delegates will be awarded with the certificates.
At a glance
- Please enquire for course dates
- Duration5 days
- LocationCranfield University at Shrivenham
What you will learn
On successful completion of the course you will be able to:
- Gain an in-depth knowledge of modern mechatronics architecture for UAVs and robotic/autonomous systems
- System development cycle, design, procurement, and manufacturing processes
- Complete guidance to evaluate the requirement/application, select appropriate sensors, processors, and actuators
- Firmware development and architecture in embedded systems
- In depth UAV applications, technologies, and design principles
- Introduction to analog/digital electronics basics
- Embedded systems
- Passive and active sensors with demonstration
- UAV processing electronics
- Embedded software
- Actuators and control
- Wireless communication protocols, security, and hardware overview
- Quadcopter systems design
- Autonomous control algorithms
- Control system design - Basic flight control, obstacle detection, and surveillance
- Stability control: Kalman filter
- Autonomous UAV control strategies: demonstrations
Who should attend
This course is aimed at design engineers, technical staff working within automotive industry. It is also suitable for engineers, technology enthusiast, who want to gain in depth knowledge via hands on experience.
Location and travel
Cranfield Defence and Security (CDS) is a Cranfield School based at the Ministry of Defence establishment on the Oxfordshire/Wiltshire borders.
Shrivenham itself lies in the picturesque Vale of the White Horse, close to the M4 motorway which links London and South Wales. It is 7 miles from Swindon, the nearest town, which lies off the M4 at the hub of Britain’s motorway network.
Bath, Cheltenham, Bristol and Oxford are all within an hour’s drive and London less than two hours away by car.
All visitors must be pre-booked in at reception by the person they are visiting on the campus.
Read our Professional development (CPD) booking conditions.