This course identifies the senior management and leadership challenges and opportunities facing those responsible for the implementation of Financial Military Capability Management. Read more Read less
At a glance
- 15 - 19 Mar 2021
- 07 - 11 Jun 2021
- 07 - 11 Jun 2021
- Duration5 days
- LocationCranfield University at Shrivenham
- Cost£1,750 Concessions available
Course structureClassroom lectures
What you will learn
The aim of the FinMilCap (Advanced) course is to inform and prepare leaders and key managers within the FinMilCap environment with the detailed process knowledge and higher level thinking skills necessary to perform their roles.
By the end of the course its membership will have acquired the knowledge, skills and attitudes necessary for the analysis, management, design and implementation of performance improvement across the various activities that underpin Financial and Military Capability Management.
Introduction and Course Overview. Including a discussion-driven examination of:
- The case for Change in the Fin/Mil Cap environment
- Key principles behind Defence Reform and their application in the development of models and approaches
- The behavioural and cultural dimensions of organisational changes and their influence on the successful implementation of Financial Military Capability management.
Strategic Context. An investigation of:
- The effect of strategy, policy, national and international issues on Financial Military Capability Management
- Financial Military Capability Management as the contextual setting for Defence Acquisition.
Planning Processes. A practical analysis of:
- The Strategic Force Development Process
- The relationship between Financial and Defence Planning assumptions
- The mapping of Outputbased requirements to Strategic Objectives
- Command Level Planning
- Capability Coherence
- Implications and practicalities of Lead Service arrangements
- Role of JFC
- The management of interfaces and dependencies required to achieve the Strategic Requirement.
Managing. An exercise based evaluation of:
- Operating framework for delegated Capability Management
- Fin/Mil Cap Management between SDSR resets
- Annual Budget Cycles
- Performance Management
- Risk Management
- Holding to Account
- The Implications of strategic Changes within key enabling services (in particular DE&S/DIO).
Who should attend
This course is suitable for personnel from Front Line Commands; Head Office (DCDS (MilCap) and DG Fin); DE&S; Dstl and other personnel (including Industry) associated with or involved in the Financial and Capability Management environment. The course is aimed at the OF5/1* level (and equivalent Civil Servant Grade) who will be carrying out FinMilCap leadership roles and responsibilities in their own Organisation. Suitably experienced senior SO1 (and Civil Servant equivalent grade) may be considered by exception.
- Dr Mike Pryce
- Andrew Farmer
- Dr Pete Ito
A limited number of MOD sponsored places are available.
Location and travel
Cranfield Defence and Security (CDS) is a Cranfield School based at the Ministry of Defence establishment on the Oxfordshire/Wiltshire borders.
Shrivenham itself lies in the picturesque Vale of the White Horse, close to the M4 motorway which links London and South Wales. It is 7 miles from Swindon, the nearest town, which lies off the M4 at the hub of Britain’s motorway network.
Bath, Cheltenham, Bristol and Oxford are all within an hour’s drive and London less than two hours away by car.
All visitors must be pre-booked in at reception by the person they are visiting on the campus.
Read our Professional development (CPD) booking conditions.