This five day course is intended to provide the aerospace professional with a technical and practical introduction to the subject of avionics.
Read more Read less
The course is tailored to provide delegates with a broad overview of the discipline, focusing on functions, supporting technologies and avionic system design considerations.
At a glance
- 25 - 29 Apr 2022
- Duration5 days
- LocationCranfield campus
- Cost£1,250 Concessions available
Course structureThis five day course includes lectures and, discussion and sessions in Cranfield’s fixed base flight simulator.
What you will learn
The course will address the following subjects:
- The cockpit environment – a historical overview, evolution and crew tasks; human factors issues
- Head down display technologies
- Head up displays
- Helmet mounted displays
- Airborne instrumentation and air data sensors
- Fundamentals of radio propagation and antenna design
- Navigation fundamentals
- Radio navigational aids; direction finding, VOR, DME, NDB, ILS, marker beacon
- Global positioning system (GPS)
- Inertial navigation systems (INS)
- Radar – Pulsed and continuous wave, SAR
- Databuses: basic concepts, ARINC 429/629/664 MIL-1553
- Fly-by-wire: Basic principles and A320 detailed case study
- Airborne surveillance systems: ACAS and TAWS
- Avionic system life cycle and design/procurement considerations
- Fault tolerant design
- Avionics function design and safety
- Avionics hardware design, test and installation issues.
Who should attend
The course is designed for graduate scientists and engineers who wish to pursue a career in avionics or in a field relating to avionics. It is also intended for airline professionals, including pilots, seeking a more in-depth and technical understanding of the subject.
Dr David Zammit-Mangion
20% discount for Cranfield Alumni.
10% discount when registering 3 or more delegates, from the same organisation at the same time.
Accommodation fees are not included in the discount scheme. Please ask about our discount scheme at time of booking.
Accommodation options and prices
We are pleased to offer an exclusive accommodation package at Mitchell Hall. Located on campus, all rooms are en-suite and available on a half-board basis from Sunday to Friday. The cost of this package is £495. If you would like to book this accommodation package* for this short course, please indicate this on the registration form.
*Subject to availability.
Alternatively, you may wish to make your own arrangement at a nearby hotel.
Location and travel
Cranfield University is situated in Bedfordshire close to the border with Buckinghamshire. The University is located almost midway between the towns of Bedford and Milton Keynes and is conveniently situated between junctions 13 and 14 of the M1.
London Luton, Stansted and Heathrow airports are 30, 90 and 90 minutes respectively by car, offering superb connections to and from just about anywhere in the world.For further location and travel details
Read our Professional development (CPD) booking conditions.