Below is a list of questions and answers which we commonly asked. If you cannot find the answer to a specific question you have from this page then please contact the Enquiries team.

What are the minimum entry requirements to study at Cranfield?

Usually candidates must have either a first or a second class UK honours degree in a relevant discipline; or the international equivalent of the UK qualifications. You must also meet a minimum English Language requirement. See your specific course page for more details or contact our enquiries team at

What is the equivalent of a first or second class UK honours degree in my country?

  • International qualifications will be compared to their English equivalent. Search for the equivalent from your country in our A to Z of countries.
  • If you are unsure of your suitability for our Masters programmes you can also check your eligibility by filling out this form with your education and employment history.
  • If you are applying for the School of Management please check your eligibility with the School of Management Eligibility Check Form.

What is the deadline for applications?

  • Cranfield does not operate on a specific closing date, however due to the competitive nature of our courses, we encourage early applications.  Therefore I would advise that you submit your completed application form no later than May 2017, if you wish to be considered for October 2017 entry.
  • When applying you will need to provide; two references, a personal statement, a copy of your undergraduate degree certificate / transcripts and proof of use of the English language (E.G. an IELTS exam). 
  • It is also worth mentioning applicants can apply without an English exam but they will need to provide evidence of having successfully completed an exam before registering.  If students are still studying, they can apply by submitting a copy of their most recent transcripts.  They will have to provide evidence of their degree certificate before they register.  

When will I hear if I have been accepted?

We normally advise applicants that the average response time for a decision to be made in regards to their application is 4 weeks. If you haven’t received any information in regards to your application after 6 weeks of applying, we would advise you to contact the university again.

What scholarships and bursaries are available to me? How do I apply to receive funding?

The University may offer postgraduate taught bursaries for high quality applicants, this depends on your undergraduate results, work experience, career aspirations and your personal statement. You can apply for scholarship or funding separately, but if the funding is from Cranfield, then you need to mention this on your application form that you would like to be considered.

Our funding finder provides a search facility for suitable sources of funding by filtering the results to suit your needs.

When can I apply for accommodation?

  • If you are accepted for Full Time Course for the 2018/2019 Academic Year you will be able to apply for Accommodation from February 2018 using the EVE Portal.
  • Due to the popular demand for on-campus accommodation, we strongly recommend that you make your application as soon as you receive your EVE login information (ideally prior to May) in order to secure the accommodation you desire.

When can I move into the campus accommodation?

Your accommodation will be become available to you one before your registration date. We would advise that you do not arrive any earlier as you will need to find alternative accommodation until the keys are available.

Is there affordable off-site housing nearby?

  • It can be cheaper to share private rental houses in surrounding villages with other students. Cranfield Village is just 1.5 miles from the University and Milton Keynes and Bedford are also within easy reach, accessible by the local bus and taxi services. 
  • Visit Cranfield student pad, the official Cranfield University student accommodation search engine, specifically aimed at helping you find off-campus accommodation. 

Where is the accommodation for Cranfield University at Shrivenham?

  • Our accommodation at Shrivenham is prioritised for British military students; however, we would recommend using StudentPad as means of securing private accommodation off-site. For more information please contact the student accommodation team.
  • The closest villages to the Defence Academy are Watchfield and Shrivenham, as these are both within walking distance. From Swindon you can take the No 66 bus from Swindon to Oxford, which stops outside both entrances. Visit the How to Find Shrivenham page for more information on the location.

When do I need to pay my tuition fees?

  • The tuition fee is payable in full either at or by registration. You can pay in instalments up until the registration date, but the full amount must be received by then.
  • The following courses require deposits; 
    • All SoM courses 
    • Advanced Motorsport Engineering 
    • Automotive Engineering 
    • Automotive Mechatronics Engineering
    • Computational software techniques in engineering  
    • Air Transport Management  
  • All deposits need to be paid within one month of having received  the offer letter. 

Can international students hold a part-time job?

On a tier 4 visa you can work up to 20 hours per week, however the university advises against students working whilst studying full time as the courses are demanding.

What facilities are there for those living on campus?

If you live on campus at Cranfield you will find you have everything you need for all of your essentials including a convenience store, post office, laundry services, sports centre, and multiple cafes and restaurants. Many students also order their food online from local supermarkets like Tesco which can be delivered to your accommodations.

What is it like studying and living in Cranfield?

  • The University is based next to the village of Cranfield, with regular bus services to the local towns of Bedford and Milton Keynes. From there you can make use of the fast railway links into Central London. Visit the Places to Visit from campus page for more information on the surrounding towns and day trips you can take.
  • Cranfield is a postgraduate only university so therefore is a peaceful, quiet environment, perfect for enabling intensive study. Even so, there is a lively social scene on campus with many students making the most of the clubs and societies available through the Cranfield Students Association.

What visa do I need?

  • For students applying for a full time course, you will need to apply for a Tier 4 visa. Students who will be studying part time should apply for a short term study visa. 
  • You should apply for your chosen course first as you will need an unconditional offer in order to be provided with a CAS to allow you to apply for a Tier 4 visa to study in the UK. You can only apply for your visa up to three months before your course start date. We recommend you begin to prepare as early as possible in order to arrive for your course on time. The visa processing time varies country to country, but usually takes around a month.
  • You should also be aware that some courses require ATAS and this will be displayed in your offer letter. The certificate is valid for 6 months so you should apply as early as possible as you will need it for your visa application and it takes up to 30 working days to process during peak times.
  • To find out more about visas please visit the Visas and Immigration page. If you require further information please contact the Student Immigration and Funding Team.

What English language qualification do I need to study at Cranfield?

  • If you are an international student you will need to provide evidence that you have achieved a satisfactory test result in an English qualification. You can view the minimum standard requirements on this page, however some courses may specify higher test scores so please check your course webpage for details of the English language requirements you will be expected to meet.
  • If you have not met the appropriate English language requirement for your course, you could consider one of our Presessional English for Academic Purposes (EAP) courses. This course is offered to international students who do not meet the minimum scores.

Can I attend a part-time course whilst living abroad?

Some students do travel from abroad to study part-time. In order to take a part time course you need to be here to attend 8 modules over 2 years for MSc, with each module lasting one week. We would advise that you contact the course director to find out the exact dates for the modules.

Why can't I find Cranfield in University ranking sites?

  • As an exclusively postgraduate university, Cranfield isn't listed in The Times Higher Education World Rankings, The Times World Rankings, The Complete University Guide and The Guardian, which focus on helping prospective undergraduate students to compare universities.
  • We are ranked first in the UK for research income per academic, (Times Higher Education, 2017), and are a five-time winner of the Queen's Anniversary Prize for our research. Our School of Management consistently ranks highly for MBAs, management qualifications and executive education in the Financial Times, Bloomberg, Economist and Poets and Quants league tables. You can find out more about our postgraduate rankings and awards here.