Low mood?

If you are feeling lonely or isolated yourself, or are worried about the social isolation of a flatmate or someone you know, please contact the Student Advice Centre. Our staff are hear to listen and support you and are Mental Health First Aid trained. They may be able to check in with that student to see how they are doing. Also have a look at the wide range of online resources and support available 'Your wellbeing'.

I am worried about a student, but I am not sure whether this information can be passed on as I do not have their consent?

You can discuss any concerns or observations with the SAC and this can be done anonymously, without giving us the student’s name. We will always offer you appropriate advice and an assessment of whether the concerns/information needs to be shared any further at this stage. This would always be in the interests of the welfare of the student or others.

I know a student came to see you. Can you provide me with some feedback?

As per our Confidentiality policy, we are not able to discuss the student’s individual circumstances without their express consent; however we can confirm whether the student has accessed our service.

I've not been able to make contact with a student, what should I do?

The staff in the SAC are happy to email the student inviting them to a meeting whereby they can discuss any matters in confidence. This may be useful for those students who cannot or will not discuss concerns directly with their department. Our purpose would be to support the student, particularly in re-establishing the link with the department who can advise them on their academic continuation. Find out how to escalate concerns about a student's welfare and behaviour: Worried about a student?

Emergency support

In an emergency, if a student is threatening to harm themselves or another person, is disorientated or out of touch with reality, call 999 immediately then call Security 2222 if you are in on-campus accommodation. If you, or a student is feeling mentally unwell, or have suffered some other emotional trauma, please ring Security on 2222 if you are in on-campus accommodation, and seek help via the NHS Urgent  Mental Health helpline. 

Guidance for staff

Missing student form
Missing student procedure
Student Welfare Handbook
Fitness to Study Policy
Safeguarding Policy 
Mental Health and Wellbeing Strategy