Further education can bring many new challenges from meeting academic expectations to adapting to student life away from friends and family. With all the new events happening, it is important to look after your health and wellbeing.

All students at Cranfield benefit from access to a wide range of support services.

If you have any specific support needs or concerns about the latest Government advice on the coronavirus outbreak and how it might affect your studies, please contact the Student Advice Team.


As a student at Cranfield you will need to register with a doctor’s surgery and dentist as soon as possible after your arrival. This ensures that you will be able to receive timely care should you need it during your time here. 

If you are from a European Economic Area (EEA) country you should obtain a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) before you travel to the UK to ensure you are able to use NHS medical services. International (non-EEA) students are eligible for some NHS treatments providing your course is for six months or more but you may wish to consider private medical insurance before you travel.

When registering at a doctor’s surgery, you will usually need to pick up and fill out a registration form. Some will allow you to complete a registration form online. Alongside this you will usually need to bring or have to hand:

  • Proof of your current address; and

  • Proof of your identity, e.g. driving licence or passport.

Emergency care

  • Milton Keynes Hospital - Standing Way, Eaglestone, Milton Keynes, MK6 5LD.

  • Bedford Hospital - Kempston Road, Bedford, MK42 9DJ.

In a medical emergency dial 999.

For non-urgent medical advice call the NHS 24-hour helpline on 111.


Several medical centres are located in the area:

Asplands Medical Centre: Asplands Close, Woburn Sands, Milton Keynes, MK17 8QP
Tel: +44 (0)1908 582069

Cranfield Surgery: 137 High Street, Cranfield, MK43 0HZ (Note: please contact by phone or via their website in the first instance if you do not have an appointment)
Tel: +44 (0)1234 766551 

Kingfisher Surgery: Elthorne Way, Newport Pagnell, MK16 0JR
Tel: +44 (0)1908 618265

Marston Surgery: 59 Bedford Road, Marston Moretaine, Bedford, MK43 0LA
Tel: +44 (0)1234 766551

• Newport Pagnell Medical Centre: Queen Avenue, Newport Pagnell, MK16 8QT
Tel: +44 (0)1908 611767

• The Village Medical Centre: Kingswood Way, Great Denham, Bedford, MK40 4GH
Tel: +44 (0)1234 244000

Wootton Healthy Living Centre: Fields Road, Wootton, Bedford, MK43 9JJ
Tel: +44 (0)1234 762500


Dental treatment is not always covered by the NHS so please ensure you are aware of the cost of your treatment, if applicable. To find a dentist in your area, please visit the NHS dentist finder service.

Disclaimer: Cranfield University is unable to take responsibility for the content of external sites.

Counselling service

The University counselling service is available to support students by providing a free, confidential, safe and friendly environment in which to explore any issues which may be of concern to you.

Our counsellors are highly qualified and experienced in dealing with the challenges of postgraduate study.

If you have any questions about the counselling service, please contact the Student Advice Team.

Disability and learning

We want you to succeed in your studies and have a positive experience at Cranfield. If you have a disability, medical condition or physical or mental health problem, we have a range of support services here to help, including:

  • Advice and guidance to prospective students on support available;
  • Help with completing Disabled Students Allowance application forms;
  • Specific examination adjustments (based on an educational psychologist’s report or Diagnostic Assessment Report);
  • Free and confidential counselling services for coping with mental health issues.

We encourage Cranfield applicants to declare on their application form that they have a disability, a specific learning difficulty (SpLD) such as dyslexia, a mental health issue, or a long-term health condition. However, you can tell us about a disability or health condition at any point during your studies.

If you require support while at university it is important you contact us about a disability or health condition as early as possible so that we can ensure that the support is put in place ready for you to start your course.

If you have any specific requirements or concerns about the latest Government advice on the coronavirus outbreak, shielding and how it might affect your studies, please contact the Student Advice Team.

Dyslexia awareness

The University has a well-established system of assistance for students with dyslexia but to ensure we can offer the best possible support we urge you to please let us know it you are dyslexic (or suspect you may be) at the earliest opportunity.

For some UK-based students, a Disabled Students' Allowance may be available, however, the applications are processed by external authorities which could lead to delays in funding. Therefore, if you have already been assessed as having dyslexia or other specific learning difficulties we advise you to bring a copy of your latest assessment to registration so that the appropriate support can be implemented immediately by the Learning Support Officers.

If you have any specific requirements, please contact the Student Advice Team.

Student support services

Advice Centre

At the Cranfield campus a central point of contact is the Student Advice Centre which offers professional and confidential advice and guidance to help students navigate their time at Cranfield and access the right resources.


All Cranfield registered students can access support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week with Togetherall (previously known as Big White Wall).

Whether you want to speak to peers or a counsellor, there will be someone there every minute of every day. You can join a supportive online community that’s totally anonymous, take part in a group course and take self-assessments.

Go to www.togetherall.com to join with your university email address and have immediate access to support.