Contact Professor Donna Ladkin
I hold a BA in Music and Philosophy from Yale University in the USA, as well as an MBA and PhD from Cranfield University and an MA in Enviornmental Ethics from Lancaster University.
Prior to becoming an academic I managed the Yale Symphony Orchestra as well as administering Cambridge Univeristy's International Summer School.
I have also run my own consulting business, Learning Matters, which specialised in coaching senior executives and their teams, particularly through times of upheaval.
- Researching the aesthetic and material dimensions of ethical organizations.
- Researching the impact of using art-based methods in manager education, especially the teaching of ethics.
- Associate Editor of Organizational Aesthetics.
- Most recent books include: Mastering the Ethical Dimension of Organizations (2015) and The physicality of leadership, edited with Steve Taylor (2014).
- The National Audit Office
- The European Bank
- Avon Cosmetics
Articles In Journals
- Springborg C & Ladkin D (2017) Realising the potential of art-based interventions in managerial learning: Embodied cognition as an explanatory theory, Journal of Business Research, In Press.
- Sutherland I & Ladkin D (2013) Creating engaged executive learning spaces: the role of aesthetic agency, Organizational Aesthetics, 2 (1) 105-124.
- Ladkin D (2013) From perception to flesh: A phenomenological account of the felt experience of leadership, Leadership, 9 (3) 320-334.
- Ladkin D (2012) Perception, Reversibility, "Flesh": Merleau-Ponty's Phenomenology and Leadership as Embodied Practice, Integral Leadership Review (January).
- Bathurst R & Ladkin D (2012) Performing Leadership: Observations from the World of Music, Administrative Sciences, 2 (1) 99-119.
- Ladkin D (2011) The Art of 'Perceiving Correctly': What Artists Can Teach Us About Moral Perception, Tamara Journal for Critical Organization Inquiry, 9 (3-4) 91-101.
- Ladkin D & Taylor S (2010) Enacting the 'true self': Towards a theory of embodied authentic leadership, Leadership Quarterly, 21 (1) 64-74.
- Ladkin D & Taylor S (2010) Leadership as Art: Theme and Variations, Leadership, 6 (3) 235-241.
- Ladkin D & Taylor S (2009) Understanding Arts-Based Methods in Managerial Development, Academy of Management Learning and Education, 8 (1) 55-69.
- Ladkin D, Case P, Gaya Wicks P & Kinsella K (2009) Developing leaders in cyber-space: The paradoxical possibilities of on-line learning, Leadership, 5 (2) 193-212.
- Ladkin D (2008) Mobilising for sustainability, European Business Forum.
- Ladkin D (2008) Leading Beautifully: How Mastery, Congruence and Purpose Create the Aesthetic of Embodied Leadership Practice, Leadership Quarterly, 19 (1) 31-41.
- Ladkin D (2006) Walk a Mile in My Shoes: Dwelling as the Path towards Ethical Leadership, Leadership Matters (Autumn) 3-6.
- Ladkin DM (2006) When Deontology and Utilitarianism Aren't Enough: How Heidegger's Notion of 'Dwelling' Might Help Organisational Leaders Resolve Ethical Issues, Journal of Business Ethics, 65 (1) 87-98.
- Ladkin DM (2006) The Enchantment of the Charismatic Leader: Charisma Reconsidered as Aesthetic Encounter, Leadership, 2 (2) 165-179.
- Ladkin D (2005) Leading Beautifully: A Path Towards Inspirational Leadership, Leadership Matters (Spring) 44-46.
- Ladkin D (2005) Does 'Restoration' Necessarily Imply the Domination of Nature?, Environmental Values, 14 (2) 203-219.
- Ladkin D (2005) The enigma of subjectivity': How might phenomenology help action researchers negotiate the relationship between 'self', 'other' and 'truth'?, Action Research, 3 (1) 108-126.
- Belling R, James K & Ladkin D (2004) Back to the workplace: How organisations can improve their support for management learning and development, Journal of Management Development, 23 (3) 234-255.
- Ladkin D (2001) Leadership: what's the big deal?, Management Quarterly (11) 28-32.
- Ladkin D (2001) Fail safe - an interview with Edward DeBono, Alodis for Self Employed Professionals (8) 34-39.
- Ladkin D (2001) Empowerment by subterfuge, Management Quarterly (13) 9-12.
- Ladkin D (2001) Lateral Success - an Interview with Edward de Bono, Alodis for Self Employed Professionals (9) 32-34.
- Ladkin D (2000) Influencing Others, Management Quarterly (6) 32-35.
- Ladkin D (2000) Thinking outside the box, Management Quarterly (8) 31-35.
- Vyakarnam S, Bailey A, Myers A & Burnett D (1997) Towards an understanding of ethical behaviour in small firms, Journal of Business Ethics, 16 (15) 1625-1636.
- Burnett D (1994) Exercising Better Management Skills, Personnel Management 42-46.
- Burnett D & James K (1994) Using the Outdoors to Facilitate Personal Change in Managers, Journal of Management Development, 13 (9) 14-24.
- Burnett D & James K (1993) Body/mind psychology in manager development: A route to enhanced managerial effectiveness, European Management Journal, 11 (4) 466-472.
- Dainty P & Lucas D (1992) Clarifying the confusion: A practical framework for evaluating outdoor development programmes for managers, Management Education and Development, 23 (2) 106-122.
- Marynissen H, Ladkin D, Denyer D & Pilbeam C (2014) A constitutive view on risk communication in organisations managing high-risk processes: Towards a conceptual framework. In: 23rd SRA-E Conference, Istanbul, 16-18 June 2014.
- Springborg C & Ladkin D (2014) Realising the potential of art-based methods in managerial learning: embodied cognition as an explanatory view of knowledge. In: Academy of Management Annual Meeting, 2014, Philadelphia, PA. 74th, 1 August 2014.
- Marynissen H, Ladkin D, Denyer D, Snoeijers E & Van Achte T (2013) The role of individual risk perception in an organization managing high risks. In: Third International Conference on Engaged Management Scholarship, Atlanta, 19 September 2013.
- Marynissen H, Ladkin D, Denyer D & Pilbeam C (2013) The constitutive role of communication for coordinated safety behaviour in an organization managing high-hazardous processes. In: Society for Risk Analysis (SRA) Annual Meeting, Baltimore, 8 December 2013.
- Marynissen H, Ladkin D, Denyer D, Snoeijers E & Van Achte T (2012) The impact of risk communication on individual perception in a complext interactive and tightly coupled organisation. In: SRA Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA, 9 December 2012.
- Ladkin D (2012) The Ethical Possibilities of Managing as a Craft Discipline. In: 2012 Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Boston, Massachusetts, 3 August 2012.
- Marynissen H & Ladkin D (2012) The relationship between risk communication and risk perception in complex interactive and tightly coupled organizations: a systematic review. In: SRA (Society for Risk Analysis) World Congress on Risk , Sydney, 18 July 2012.
- Ladkin D, Taylor S & Statler M (2011) The Ethical Possibilities of the Craft of Management. In: 27th EGOS Colloquium, Gothenburg, 7 July 2011.
- Ladkin D & Turnbull James K (2010) The making of moral myopia: The case of British Members of Parliament and their expenses claims. In: 8th International Studying Leadership Conference, University of Birmingham, 7 December 2009.
- Ladkin D (2009) The language of leading for sustainability. In: Academy of Management Annual Meeting, 2009**, Chicago, IL, 7-11 August 2009.
- Ladkin D (2008) The flesh of leadership: How Merleau-Ponty's phenomenology contributes to a relational theory of leadership. In: Philosophy of Management 2008 Conference, Oxford, 11 July 2008.
- Ladkin D (2008) The aesthetics of leadership performance: insights from musical performance practice. In: 4th International Art in Management and Organization Conference, Banff, 9 September 2008.
- Ladkin D (2007) Leading from the Middle: Operational Leadership as Hermeneutic Practice. In: Studying Leadership Conference, Warwick, 13 December 2007.
- Ladkin D & Taylor S (2007) Constructing authenticity: arts-based methods as a means of developing the authentic leadership self. In: Academy of Management Annual Meeting, 2007**, Philadelphia, PN, 3-8 August 2007.
- Ladkin D & Taylor S (2007) Explaining arts-based methods for development and change in organizations. In: Academy of Management Annual Meeting, 2007**, Philadelphia, PN, 3-8 August 2007.
- Ladkin D (2006) Mobilising for Sustainability: The Role of Leadership. In: Positive Organisational Scholarship Symposium, Ann Arbor.
- Ladkin D (2006) The Good, the Bad and the Ugly: Researching the Aesthetics of Embodied Leadership Performance. In: Art in Organisation Conference, Krakow, 6 September 2006.
- Ladkin D & Taylor S (2006) An Aesthetic Approach to Developing Authentic Leaders: Art Marking as a Means of Constructing an Authentic Leadership Self. In: EGOS 22nd Colloquium, Bergen, 6 July 2006.
- Ladkin D & Wood M (2006) The Event's the Thing: Brief Encounters with the Leaderful Moment. In: 5th Studying Leadership Conference, 14 December 2006.
- Ladkin D (2005) Leading Beautifully: How the Theory of Performative Aesthetics Might Inform Leadership Practice. In: 4th Studying Leadership Conference, Lancaster, 12 December 2005.
- Ladkin D (2005) How Might Heidegger's Notion of Dwelling inform the Ethical Practice of Leadership?. In: Philosophy of Management International Conference, Oxford, 6 July 2005.
- Ladkin D (2004) The Enchantment of the Charismatic Leader: Charisma Reconsidered as Aesthetic Encounter. In: 3rd Studying Leadership Conference, Exeter, 15 December 2004.
- Ladkin D & Ladkin R (2004) An Enquiry into the Development of Professional Leadership. In: 3rd Studying Leadership Conference, Exeter, 15 December 2004.
- Vinnicombe S & Lucas D (1997) The Impact of Women's Only Training on the Development of Women Managers. In: Gender and Education International Conference, Warwick.
- Burnett D (1995) Psycho-dynamic Approach to Understanding Organisational Learning. In: The Learning Company Conference, Warwick.
- Ladkin D (1995) The Heroic Journey: Viewing Manager Development from a Mythological Perspective. In: International Critical Management Studies Conference, Leeds.
- James K, Burnett D & Jarrett M (1995) Psychological Dynamics and Organisational Learning: From the psychopathology of the dysfunctional organisation to the healthy organisation. In: The Learning Company Conference, Warwick.
- Burnett D, Vykarnam S, Bailey A & Myers A (1993) Towards an understanding of ethical behaviour in small firms. In: British Academy of Management Conference, Milton Keynes, 8-12 September 1993.
- Burnett D & James K (1993) How Body-Mind Psychology can Assist Innovation and Performance. In: EFMD Global Management Forum, Barcelona, 1 June 1993.
- James K & Burnett D (1993) An Increasing Demand: Body/Mind Approaches to Manager Development. In: EFMD Global Management Forum, Barcelona, 1 June 1993.
- James K & Lucas D (1989) Managing Learning in an Organisation that Understands Teaching. In: Post Modern Management and its implications for learning, Critical Stances on Managing Learning in Organisations Network, Escola D'Alta Direccio i Administacio, Barcelona, 1 September 1989.
- Ladkin D (2012) Philosopher, poet, trickster: New role models for corporately responsible leaders. In: Cranfield on Corporate Sustainability, Sheffield: Greenleaf Publishing Limited, p. 53-63.
- Ladkin D (2010) Rethinking Leadership: A New Look at Old Leadership Questions. Edward Elgar.
- Ladkin D (2010) The aesthetics of leadership. In: Managing and leading people: Rethinking people and organization. Grint K (ed.), London: Henry Stewart Talks Ltd.
- Ladkin D (2010) Creating an Aesthetic of Inclusivity: A New Solution to the 'Problem' of Women Leaders. In: UK Arts Council Leadership Development Reader.
- Turnbull James K & Ladkin D (2008) Meeting the challenge of leading in the 21st century: Beyond the 'deficit model' of leadership development. In: Leadership Learning: Knowledge into Action. Turnbull James K, Collins J (ed.), London: Palgrave Macmillan, p. 13-34.
- George A & Ladkin D (2008) The aesthetics of leadership development. In: Leadership learning: Knowledge into action. Turnbull James K, Collins J (ed.), London: Palgrave Macmillan, p. 77-92.
- Ladkin D (2008) Human Well-Being and the Natural Environment. In: Community Empowerment and Sustainable Development, Schumacher Institute: Converging World Series, p. 109-124.
- Wood M & Ladkin D (2008) The Event's the Thing: Brief Encounters with the Leaderful Moment. In: Leadership Perspectives: Knowledge into Action. Turnbull James K, Collins J (ed.), London: Palgrave MacMillan, p. 15-28.
- Ladkin D (2003) Action Research. In: Qualitative Research Practice. Seale C, Gaba G, Gubrium J, Silverman D (ed.), London: Sage, p. 536-548.
- Burnett D (1993) Case Study: 'British Telecom: Establishing Training for Women Managers'. In: Human Resource Management in Europe: Strategic Issues and Cases. Lawrence P, Manzolini L, Poirson P, Soler V, Tyson S (ed.).