Contact Dr Ruth Massie
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 754696
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr Ruth Massie is an Associate Professor in Andragogy (the methods and approaches for educating adults). As well as being a member of Cranfield's School of Management, Ruth is the Education Lead for the proposed new university in Milton Keynes (MK:U - see www.cranfield.ac.uk/about/mku for further details). In this role she is responsible for developing the educational approach of the proposed university including the education philosophy as well as guiding the course teams in the development of the undergraduate degrees and apprenticeships.
Ruth's primary focus is on tertiary education as a profession. In addition, her teaching focus is on Resilience, Change Management, Cyber Leadership and Business Continuity.
Ruth’s scholarly area is organisational resilience with a focus on understanding how Board level Directors engage with information, contextualise it, and incorporate it into their decision making. This is particularly in the context of how Board’s view the complexity, and risk, in relation to their organisations.
Additionally, Ruth is a Research Fellow on Cyber Leadership and Culture for the Research Institute of Sociotechnical Cyber Security (www.riscs.org.uk).
Prior to becoming an academic, Ruth started her career as a Business Continuity consultant at SunGard Availability Services, then known as Comdisco. She has worked in a number of organisations, both as a Business Continuity Manager and as a Consultant. These included Ernst & Young (Australia), Office-Shadow Limited and Citigroup.
Ruth holds a PhD in Management from Cass Business School at City, University of London. In addition, Ruth holds three Masters Degrees; an MBA from Henley Business School; a Masters of Research from City, University of London; and an MA in Academic Practice also from City, University of London. Ruth is a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
- Education Lead - MK:U
- Management in the Higher Education sector
- Organisational Resilience
- Directors and their engagement with information
- Business Continuity and Cyber Resilience
Articles In Journals
- Massie R (2019) Continuity & Resilience Review (CRR): interdisciplinary, multidisciplinary and inclusive, Continuity and Resilience Review, 1 (1) 2-4.
- Massie R (2018) The Programme Director and the Teaching Excellence Framework: How do we train the former to survive the latter?, Higher Education Quarterly, 72 (4) 332-343.
- Massie R (2018) Women in cybersecurity, Intersec.
- Massie R (2020) Developing a learning and assessment philosophy to underpin creativity in curriculum design. In: Advance HE Teaching and Learning Conference, Online, 7 July 2020.
- Ruth Massie (2017) The Programme Director and the Teaching Excellence Framework: How do we train the former to survive the latter?. In: HEA Annual Conference 2017 Generation TEF: Teaching in the spotlight, University of Manchester, 4-6 July 2017.
- Melville WR, Palmer P, Massie R & Jung T (2016) Diversity and board composition in non-profit governance. In: 14th European Academic Conference on Internal Audit and Corporate Governance, Rotterdam, 6-8 April 2016.
- Maddison Warren A & Massie R (2016) New route or diversion: the rise of the PhD by prior publication in UK Higher Education,. In: 2016 UK Council for Graduate Education Annual Conference, Liverpool, 4-5 July 2016.
- Massie R (2014) Ad hoc committees; their role in the governance process. In: British Academy of Management Conference 2014 BAM2014*, Belfast, 9-11 September 2014.
- Palmer P, Massie R, Melville WR & Jung T (2014) Taking stock: a critical examination of board governance in the UK’s top-500 nonprofits. In: 11th International Conference of the International Society for Third Sector Research (ISTR), Muenster, 22-25 July 2014.
- Massie R (2013) Inside the “Black Box”: The Application of Grounded Theory in Corporate Governance Research. In: BAM 2013: British Academy of Management annual conference, Liverpool, 10-12 September 2013.
- Massie R (2012) Key Identifiers of Corporate Governance Maturity: A Literature Review, In Internal Audit and Corporate Governance. In: 10th European Academic Conference on Internal Audit and Corporate Governance, Verona (Italy), 18-20 April 201, Verona, 18-20 April 2012.
- Massie R (2012) Corporate Governance Maturity in Relation to the Organisational Lifecycle. In: British Academy of Management Annual Conference 2012, Cardiff, 11-13 September 2012.
- Massie R (2011) Improving Corporate Governance Processes at Board Level: The contribution of Non-Financial Performance Measurement. In: 9th European Academic Conference on Internal Audit and Corporate Governance, London, 27-29 April 2011.