Radu received his PhD in 2010 from BI Norwegian Business School in Oslo. His doctoral work focused on understanding consumers' psychology of brand extension evaluation, and specifically how consumers evaluate brand extensions depending on their perception of the market where the brand is extending.
Prior to joining Cranfield, he held a senior position in a marketing consultancy dealing with customer database analysis and strategy.
Radu does research in the areas of branding and brand extensions, strategic marketing, consumer behaviour and psychology, and consumer pro-social behaviour. Radu's work has been accepted for publication in journals including European Journal of Marketing, Psychology and Marketing and Technological Forecasting and Social Change, and he regularly presents his research at reputable international conferences.
His MSc, executive and doctoral teaching are focused on the areas of brand management, consumer behaviour, marketing strategy and planning, and methods of research. He is also deeply involved in the school's PhD and DBA programmes, as both doctoral supervisor and as member of several doctoral review panels. Besides his school responsibiities, Radu is running consulting projects on brand strategy, market research and consumer research. He has a strong background in statistical and quantitative methods, and speaks several languages including English, Spanish, French, Norwegian, Portuguese and his mother tongue, Romanian.
Articles In Journals
- Dimitriu R & Guesalaga R (2017) Consumers’ social media brand behaviors: uncovering underlying motivators and deriving meaningful consumer segments, Psychology and Marketing, 34 (5) 580-592.
- Rowe Z, Wilson H, Charnley F & Dimitriu R (2017) The best I can be: how self-accountability impacts product choice in technology mediated environments, Psychology and Marketing, 34 (5) 521-537.
- Walker L, Baines P, Dimitriu R & Macdonald E (2017) Antecedents of retweeting in a (political) marketing context, Psychology and Marketing, 34 (3) 275-293.
- Dimitriu R, Warlop L & Samuelson BM (2017) Brand extension similarity can backfire when you look for something specific, European Journal of Marketing, 51 (5-6) 850-868.
- Champniss G, Wilson HN, Macdonald EK & Dimitriu R (2016) No I won't, but yes we will: driving sustainability-related donations through social identity effects, Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 111 (October) 317-326.
- Razmdoost K, Dimitriu R & Macdonald E (2015) The Effect of Overconfidence and Underconfidence on Consumer Value, Psychology and Marketing, 32 (4) 392-407.
- Hristodorescu L, Knox SD, Dimitriu & R (2013) Marketing to Communities, Admap (April) 42-43.
- Knox SD, Dimitriu R & Hristodorescu L (2012) Marketing to Communities, Admap (Spring) 42-43.
- Dimitriu R (2012) An Olympic brand, Management Focus (32) 24-25.
- Maklan S & Dimitriu R (2012) Media focus still dominates strategy, Market Leader (Q4) 16-17.
- Dimitriu R & Ryals L (2011) Launching a Brand, Admap (Oct) 46-47.
- Hafeez A, Selnes F, Engeset M & Dimitriu R (2017) Consumer Adoption of Radically New Products: The Role of Expected Learning Opportunities. In: American Marketing Association (AMA) 2017 Winter Conference: Better Marketing for a Better World, Orlando, Florida, 17 February 2017.
- Wilson H, Champniss G, Macdonald E & Dimitriu R (2017) A Group at a Time: Using Social Group Effects to Engender Sustainable Consumer Behaviours. In: European Marketing Academy Conference (EMAC) 2017, University of Groningen, 23-26 May 2017.
- Hafeez A, Engeset M & Dimitriu R (2016) The effect of perceived learning opportunity on consumers' evaluations of really new products (Poster Session). In: Advances in Consumer Research, 2016, Berlin, 27-30 October 2016.
- Champniss G, Wilson H, Dimitriu R & Macdonald E (2016) Bypassing the attitude-behavior gap: using social identity for norm effects to engender sustainable consumer behaviors. In: Academy of Marketing Science (AMS) World Marketing Congress, Paris, 19-23 July 2016.
- Chapman S, Maklan S, Nairn A, Dimitriu R & Macdonald E (2014) Effects of customized advergames on children's persuasion knowledge, attitudes, and food preferences. In: ISM-Open Conference 2014, Milton Keynes, 29 September 2014.
- Dimitriu R & Luk W (2014) Reaching Further: Why Service Brands can Extend to Other Low Similarity Service Categories. In: ANZMAC 2014 Conference, Brisbane, 1 December 2014.
- Champniss G, Wilson H, Dimitriu R & Macdonald EK (2014) Many Hands Make...Different Work: How Group Effects can Foster Prosocial Behaviours from Consumers. In: ANZMAC 2014 Conference, Brisbane, 1 December 2014.
- Champniss G, Wilson H, Macdonald EK & Dimitriu R (2014) All For One and One For All: How Quickly-Formed Consumer Groups can Encourage Prosocial Behaviour. In: EMAC 43rd Annual Conference, Valencia, 3 June 2014.
- Champniss G, Wilson H, Macdonald E & Dimitriu R (2014) Together we can do it: Using group influence to motivate prosocial consumer behaviour. In: 22nd International Colloquium in Relationship Marketing - “Sustainable relationships: myth or reality?", Newcastle, 8-10 September 2014.
- Razmdoost K & Dimitriu R (2013) The Relationship between Overconfidence and Underconfidence and Consumer Value. In: European Conference of the Association for Consumer Research, Barcelona, 4 July 2013.
- Razmdoost K & Dimitriu R (2013) Overconfidence and underconfidence in usage experience. In: 42nd Academy of Marketing Science Annual Conference, 2013, Monterey Bay, California, 15 May 2013.
- Dimitriu R & Selnes F (2013) How Variability Perceptions Affect Brand Extension Evaluations. In: Theory and Practice in Marketing (TPM) Conference 2013, London, 31 May 2013.
- Champniss GP, Wilson H, Macdonald E & Dimitriu R (2013) Together we can do it: Using group influence to motivate prosocial consumer behaviour. In: American Marketing Association Summer Educators Conference, Boston, MA, 9-11 August 2013.
- Dimitriu RM, Knox S & Hristodorescu L (2012) Marketing to communities: A framework for identifying community structure and member roles. In: European Marketing Academy 41st Annual Conference, Lisbon, 22-25 May 2012.
- Dimitriu RM, Leonidou CN & Assiouras I (2012) Brand positioning and consumer reactions to corporate social responsibility-related news. In: European Marketing Academy 41st Annual Conference, Lisbon, 22 May 2012.
- Dimitriu R & King T (2012) Retail Outlet on Brand Extension Evaluation. In: Colloquium of European Retailing Research, Paris, 3 May 2012.
- Razmdoost K & Dimitriu R (2012) The Effect of Consumer Calibration Processes on Consumer Value - A Systematic Literature Review. In: European Academy of Marketing Conference, Lisbon, 22 May 2012.
- King T & Dimitriu RM (2012) The influence of the retail outlet on brand extension evaluation. In: European Marketing Academy 41st Annual Conference, Lisbon, 22 May 2012.
- Dimitriu R, Knox S & Hristodorescu L (2012) Identifying Consumption Community Members for Brand Building Activities. In: Academy of Marketing Conference 2012, Southampton, 2 July 2012.
- Dimitriu RM & Selnes F (2011) Investigating Multipurpose Customers. In: INFORMS Marketing Science Conference 2011, Houston, TX, 9 June 2011.
- Faraji-Rad A & Dimitriu RM (2010) The Impact of Negative Online Reviews: When Does Reviewer Similarity Make a Difference?. In: 39th EMAC Conference, Copenhagen, Denmark, 1 June 2010.
- Dimitriu RM, Samuelsen B & Warlop L (2010) The dark side of brand extension similarity. In: 39th EMAC Conference, Copenhagen, Denmark, 1-4 June 2010.
- Dimitriu RM & Selnes F (2009) Extending Where? How Consumers' Perception of the Extension Category Affects Brand Extension Evaluation. In: Johan Arndt Marketing Conference, Trondheim, 4 June 2009.
- Dimitriu RM (2008) Plural Governance Deployment through Private Label Usage. In: NRWC - Nordic Retail and Wholesale Conference, Stockholm, 6 November 2008.
- Dimitriu R & King T Does the Retail Outlet Impact Brand Extension Evaluation? An Experimental Study. In: Academy of Marketing Conference 2012, Southampton, 2 July 2012.
- Razmdoost K & Dimitriu R Consumers' Supplementary Knowledge Calibration as Predictor of Really-New Product Comprehension. In: ANZMAC 2014 Conference, Brisbane, 1 December 2014.
- Dimitriu R & Warlop L Service Brand-Extensions - The Broader Boundaries. In: Brand Camp 2015, Obergurgl, 20 March 2015.
- Dimitriu R & Warlop L The Broader Boundaries: The Importance of Service-Specific Associations in Service Brand Extensions. In: EMAC 43rd Annual Conference, Valencia, 3 June 2014.
- Razmdoost K & Dimitriu R The Effect of Objective, Subjective and Calibration of Supplementary Knowledge on Really-New Product Adoption Behaviour. In: EMAC 43rd Annual Conference, Valencia, 3 June 2014.
- Dimitriu R, Knox S & Knox S (2012) Delivering and Communicating the Value of the Sustainable Brand. In: Cranfield on Corporate Sustainability. Grayson D (ed.), Greenleaf Publishing.
- Baines P, Dimitriu R, Knox S, Macdonald E, Marcos Cuevas J, Marcos Cuevas J, Knox S & Ryals L (2012) Issues in sustainable marketing. In: Cranfield on corporate sustainability. Grayson D and Exter N (ed.), Sheffield: Greenleaf Publishing, p. 119-132.