I joined Cranfield University in August 2021 as Reader in Sustainability. Prior to this, I obtained my PhD degree at the Centre for Industrial Sustainability at University of Cambridge (2011-2015), worked as Research Fellow in Sustainable Manufacturing at Cranfield University (2016), and University of Exeter as a Lecturer in Engineering Management (2017-2021) and subsequently Senior Lecturer (2021). I was a visiting scholar at Stanford University (2018). I have been the external examiner for MSc programmes at Bath University (2019-2022) and PhD external examiner for University of Cambridge (twice).
Call for Paper: "Data-Driven Intelligent Manufacturing for Circular Economy and Sustainability", Sustainability, deadline: 15 May 2022
As an academic, I am passionate about my research in digital sustainability. My work focuses on how to make manufacturing and supply chain more sustainable and circular through digitalisation and business model innovation. I have received five research awards from EPSRC, ESRC, STFC and Royal Society, and won two Best Paper Awards in international conferences.
As a teacher, I like working with highly motivated students and love to see my students making progress. I initiated and led the Sustainable Manufacturing module at University of Exeter and am currently leading the Leading Sustainable Business module on MBA and EMBA programmes at Cranfield University.
As a trained engineer transitioning to a management school, I like to explore the synergies between engineering and management studies. I like working with industries and I am enthusiastic about developing new methods from my research to solve real problems faced in companies. I've developed a Sustainable Value Analysis Tool to help over 100 firms identify their sustainable value opportunities.
Articles In Journals
- Bleischwitz R, Yang M, Huang B, XU X, Zhou J, McDowall W, Andrews-Speed P, Liu Z & Yong G (2022) The circular economy in China: achievements, challenges and potential implications for decarbonisation, Resources, Conservation and Recycling, 183 (August) Article No. 106350.
- Liu Q, Trevisan AH, Yang M & Mascarenhas J (2022) A framework of digital technologies for the circular economy: digital functions and mechanisms, Business Strategy and the Environment , Available online 23 February 2022.
- Lui Y, Yang M & Guo Z (2022) Reinforcement learning based optimal decision making towards product lifecycle sustainability, International Journal of Computer Integrated Manufacturing, Available online 31 January 2022.
- Liu Q, Yang L & Yang M (2021) Digitalisation for water sustainability: Barriers to implementing circular economy in smart water management, Sustainability, 13 (21) Article No. 11868.
- Yang M, Fu M & Zhang Z (2021) The adoption of digital technologies in supply chains: Drivers, process and impact, Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 169 Article No. 120795.
- Liu Y, Zhang Y, Ren S, Yang M, Wang Y & Huisingh D (2020) How can smart technologies contribute to sustainable product lifecycle management?, Journal of Cleaner Production, 249, Article No. 119423.
- Evans S & Yang M (2019) Product-service systems business model archetypes and sustainability, Journal of Cleaner Production, 220 1156-1166.
- Yang M, Smart P, Kumar M, Jolly M & Evans S (2018) Product-service systems business models for circular supply chains, Production Planning and Control, 29 (6) 498-508.
- Zhang W, Shi Y, Yang M, Gu X, Tang R & Pan X (2017) Ecosystem evolution mechanism of manufacturing service system driven by service providers, International Journal of Production Research, 55 (12) 3542-3558.
- Yang M, Vladimirova D & Evans S (2017) Creating and capturing value through sustainability: The sustainable value analysis tool, Research-Technology Management, 60 (3) 30-39.
- Yang M, Evans S, Vladimirova D & Rana P (2017) Value uncaptured perspective for sustainable business model innovation, Journal of Cleaner Production, 140 (3) 1794-1804.
- Evans S, Vladimirova D, Holgado M, Van Fossen K, Yang M, Silva EA & Barlow CY (2017) Business model innovation for sustainability: Towards a unified perspective for creation of sustainable business models, Business Strategy and the Environment , 26 (5) 597-608.
- Lobo A, Hofmann Trevisan A, Liu Q, Yang M & Mascarenhas J (2021) Barriers to transitioning towards smart circular economy: A systematic literature review. In: SDM-2021 8th International Conference on Sustainable Design and Manufacturing, Split, 16-17 September 2021.
- Yang M, Luis M, Hermawan D, Herlina L, Nayak R, Jensen J, Choudhary S, Ball P & Evans S (2021) Designing a research tool for sustainable aquaculture project. In: SDM-2021 8th International Conference on Sustainable Design and Manufacturing, Split, 16-17 September 2021.
- Trevisan AL, Zacharias IS, Liu Q, Yang M & Mascarenhas J (2021) Circular economy and digital technologies: A review of the current research streams. In: International Conference on Engineering Design, ICED21, Gothenberg, 16-20 August 2021.