I joined Cranfield University in August 2021 as Reader in Sustainability. Prior to this, I obtained my PhD degree at the Centre for Industrial Sustainability at the University of Cambridge, worked as Research Fellow in Sustainable Manufacturing at Cranfield University (2016), and at the University of Exeter as a Lecturer in Engineering Management (2017-2021) and subsequently Senior Lecturer (2021). I was a visiting scholar at Stanford University (2018). I have been the external examiner for MSc programmes at Bath University (2019-2022) and PhD external examiner for the University of Cambridge (twice).
Call for Paper: "Data-Driven Intelligent Manufacturing for Circular Economy and Sustainability", Sustainability, deadline: 30 December 2022
As an academic, I am passionate about my research in digital sustainability. My work focuses on how to make manufacturing and supply chain more sustainable and circular through digitalisation and business model innovation. I have received five research awards from EPSRC, ESRC, STFC and Royal Society, and won two Best Paper Awards in international conferences.
As a teacher, I like working with highly motivated students and love to see my students making progress. I initiated and led the Sustainable Manufacturing module at University of Exeter and am currently leading the Leading Sustainable Business module on MBA and EMBA programmes at Cranfield University.
As a trained engineer transitioning to a management school, I like to explore the synergies between engineering and management studies. I like working with industries and I am enthusiastic about developing new methods from my research to solve real problems faced in companies. I've developed a Sustainable Value Analysis Tool to help over 100 firms identify their sustainable value opportunities.
Articles In Journals
- Qin W, Zhuang Z, Sun Y, Liu Y & Yang M (2022) An available-to-promise stochastic model for order promising based on dynamic resource reservation policy, International Journal of Production Research, Available online 29 July 2022.
- Liu Q, Trevisan AH, Yang M & Mascarenhas J (2022) A framework of digital technologies for the circular economy: digital functions and mechanisms, Business Strategy and the Environment , 31 (5) 2171-2192.
- Bleischwitz R, Yang M, Huang B, XU X, Zhou J, McDowall W, Andrews-Speed P, Liu Z & Yong G (2022) The circular economy in China: achievements, challenges and potential implications for decarbonisation, Resources, Conservation and Recycling, 183 (August) Article No. 106350.
- Lui Y, Yang M & Guo Z (2022) Reinforcement learning based optimal decision making towards product lifecycle sustainability, International Journal of Computer Integrated Manufacturing, Available online 31 January 2022.
- Liu Q, Yang L & Yang M (2021) Digitalisation for water sustainability: Barriers to implementing circular economy in smart water management, Sustainability, 13 (21) Article No. 11868.
- Yang M, Fu M & Zhang Z (2021) The adoption of digital technologies in supply chains: Drivers, process and impact, Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 169 Article No. 120795.
- Liu Y, Zhang Y, Ren S, Yang M, Wang Y & Huisingh D (2020) How can smart technologies contribute to sustainable product lifecycle management?, Journal of Cleaner Production, 249, Article No. 119423.
- Evans S & Yang M (2019) Product-service systems business model archetypes and sustainability, Journal of Cleaner Production, 220 1156-1166.
- Yang M, Smart P, Kumar M, Jolly M & Evans S (2018) Product-service systems business models for circular supply chains, Production Planning and Control, 29 (6) 498-508.
- Zhang W, Shi Y, Yang M, Gu X, Tang R & Pan X (2017) Ecosystem evolution mechanism of manufacturing service system driven by service providers, International Journal of Production Research, 55 (12) 3542-3558.
- Yang M, Vladimirova D & Evans S (2017) Creating and capturing value through sustainability: The sustainable value analysis tool, Research-Technology Management, 60 (3) 30-39.
- Yang M, Evans S, Vladimirova D & Rana P (2017) Value uncaptured perspective for sustainable business model innovation, Journal of Cleaner Production, 140 (3) 1794-1804.
- Evans S, Vladimirova D, Holgado M, Van Fossen K, Yang M, Silva EA & Barlow CY (2017) Business model innovation for sustainability: Towards a unified perspective for creation of sustainable business models, Business Strategy and the Environment , 26 (5) 597-608.
- Lobo A, Hofmann Trevisan A, Liu Q, Yang M & Mascarenhas J (2022) Barriers to transitioning towards smart circular economy: a systematic literature review. In: SDM-2021 8th International Conference on Sustainable Design and Manufacturing, Split, 16-17 September 2021.
- Yang M, Luis M, Hermawan D, Herlina L, Nayak R, Jensen J, Choudhary S, Ball P & Evans S (2022) Designing a research tool for sustainable aquaculture project. In: SDM-2021 8th International Conference on Sustainable Design and Manufacturing, Split, 16-17 September 2021.
- Trevisan AL, Zacharias IS, Liu Q, Yang M & Mascarenhas J (2021) Circular economy and digital technologies: A review of the current research streams. In: International Conference on Engineering Design, ICED21, Gothenberg, 16-20 August 2021.