Contact Dr Ismail Haltas
Dr Ismail Haltas is a Visiting Fellow with the Complex Systems Research Centre, Infrastructure Systems Group at Cranfield School of Management.
Ismail has a BSc degree in Civil Engineering from Middle East Technical University, Turkey, a MSc from University of California, Davis on “Floodplain Modelling using Geographic Information Systems” and PhD Degree in 2006 from the same university on “Scaling of Governing Equations in Hydrology”.
After completing his PhD, he worked for Northwest Hydraulic Consultants (NHC) in Sacramento/California Office as a water resources engineer where he was mainly involved in flood modelling and mapping (FIRM, LOMR etc.) as well as watershed based hydrologic modelling projects. He moved back to Turkey as an assistant professor of Civil Engineering Department at Zirve University in 2011. He taught various undergraduate courses as well as graduate courses in Hydraulics, Hydrology, Water Resources and Engineering Statistics. He was also principal investigator and participated as a researcher in various funded research projects (mainly flood hazard/risk modelling and mapping).
More recently he held the position of Senior Research Fellow with the Infrastructure Systems Group at Cranfield where he worked on the EPSRC funded Research Project, Stepping Up.
Articles In Journals
- Chowdhury JI, Hu Y, Haltas I, Balta-Ozkan N, Matthew G & Varga L (2018) Reducing industrial energy demand in the UK: A review of energy efficiency technologies and energy saving potential in selected sectors, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 94 (October) 1153-1178.
- Hoolohan C, Larkin A, McLachlan C, Falconer R, Soutar I, Suckling J, Varga L, Haltas I, Druckman A, Lumbroso D, Scott M, Gilmour D, Ledbetter R, McGrane S, Mitchell C & Yu D. (2018) Engaging stakeholders in research to address water-energy-food (WEF) nexus challenges, Sustainability Science, 13 (5) 1415-1426.
- Haltas I, Suckling J, Soutar I, Druckman A & Varga L (2017) Anaerobic digestion: a prime solution for water, energy and food nexus challenges, Energy Procedia, 123 22-29.
- Haltas I, Tayfur G & Elçi S (2016) Two-dimensional numerical modeling of flood wave propagation in an urban area due to ürkmez dam-break, İzmir, Turkey, Natural Hazards, 81 (3) 2103-2119.
- Haltas I, Elçi S & Tayfur G (2016) Numerical simulation of flood wave propagation in two-dimensions in densely populated urban areas due to dam break, Water Resources Management, 30 (15) 5699-5721.
- Haltas I & Ulusoy S (2015) Scaling and scale invariance of conservation laws in Reynolds transport theorem framework, Chaos, 25 (7).
- Ercan A, Kavvas ML & Haltas I (2014) Scaling and self-similarity in one-dimensional unsteady open channel flow, Hydrological Processes, 28 (5) 2721-2737.
- Haltas I (2012) Calculating the macrodispersion coefficient of the ensemble averaged solute transport equation in the discrete domain., Hydrological Processes, 26 (22) 3448-3458.
- Haltas I & Kavvas ML (2011) Scale Invariance and Self-Similarity in Kinematic Wave Overland Flow in Space and Time, Hydrological Processes, 25 (23) 3659-3665.
- Haltas I & Kavvas ML (2010) Scale Invariance and Self-Similarity in Hydrologic Processes in Space and Time, Journal of Hydrologic Engineering, 16 (1).
- Haltas I & Kavvas ML (2009) Ensemble-Averaged Flow Routing in Channel Networks: Kinematic Wave Equation, Journal of Hydrologic Engineering, 14 (7).
- Haltas I & Kavvas ML (2009) Modeling the kinematic wave parameters with regression methods, Journal of Hydrologic Engineering, 14 (10).
- Falconer R, Haltas I, Gilmour D & Varga L. (2017) Decision Making Tools: computational modelling and interactive visualisation. In: Royal Statistical Society (RSS) 2017 International Conference, University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, 4-7 September 2017.
- Haltas I, Falconer R, Suckling J, Soutar I & Varga L (2017) Recycling water, energy and food by anaerobic digestion. In: Cranfield Science for a Circular Economy. How to tackle the Water, Energy, Food nexus, Cranfield University, 16 June 2017.
- Haltas I & Demir I (2014) Toward A Flood Information System (TABİS) For Turkey. In: 11th International Conference on Hydroinformatics, New York, 17-21 August 2014.
- Ercan A, Kavvas ML & Haltas I (2013) Self-similarity in one-dimensional unsteady open channel flow through rectangular channels of varying width. In: World Environmental and Water Resources Congress 2013: Showcasing the Future, Cincinnati, Ohio, 19-23 May 2013.
- Haltas I & Kavvas ML (2011) Scale invariance and self-similarity in hydrologic processes in space and time. In: World Environmental and Water Resources Congress 2011: Bearing Knowledge for Sustainability, Palm Springs, California, 22-26 May 2011.
- Haltas I (2010) Calculating the macrodispersion coefficient in the stochastic transport equation. In: World Environmental and Water Resources Congress 2010: Challenges of Change, Providence, Rhode Island, 16-20 May 2010.
- Haltas I (2009) Modeling the kinematic wave parameters with regression methods. In: World Environmental and Water Resources Congress 2009: Great Rivers, Kansas City, Missouri, 17-21 May 2009.
- Haltas I (2008) Ensemble averaged flow routing in large channel networks: Kinematic wave equation. In: World Environmental and Water Resources Congress 2008: Ahupua'A, Honolulu, Hawaii, 12-16 May 2008.
- Haltas I & Kavvas ML (2012) Scale invariance and self-similarity in kinematic overland flow in space and time. In: Overland Flow and Surface Runoff, Nova Science, p. 1-14.