Contact Dr Heather Skipworth
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 750111 x2843
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Prior to her academic career Heather graduated in Mechanical Engineering and worked in the packaging industry for a number of years fulfilling manufacturing roles responsible for productivity, quality and design improvements. During this period she also completed a Marketing Diploma, part time, to gain an appreciation of approaches to demand creation to complement her knowledge and experience on demand fulfilment and operations management. Following the completion of an MSc in Engineering and Management of Manufacturing systems at Cranfield University she joined BICC, a large cable manufacturer, as an internal manufacturing consultant. Here she took a leading role in performance improvement projects and first developed an interest in form postponement as a strategy for improving supply chain performance. She subsequently won an EPSRC Industrial Case Award, from BICC, to fund her Doctorate at Cranfield School of Management.
Heather joined Cranfield School of Management faculty in 2004 following the completion of her Doctorate at Cranfield University addressing the application of the form postponement logistics and manufacturing strategy. As a Senior Lecturer she is now a Director of the Agile Supply Chain Research Club, which provides a collaborative forum where member companies can share promising supply chain practices and participate in Cranfield University research. She works on a variety of research projects in the Centre for Logistics and Supply Chain Management and has published in a number of scholarly journals. Her particular areas of research interest include: agile and responsive supply chains; segmented supply chain strategy and alignment; outsourcing of logistics and procurement in the NHS; and supply chain risk.
Heather teaches on the MSc in Logistics and Supply Chain Management leading modules on Supply Chain Strategy and Sales and Operations Planning (SOP). She also delivers into other programmes, as and when required. Further, she is also the lead author on a key logistics text influencing academics and practitioners entitled "Logistics Management and Strategy" (edition 5, 2014), which is ranked as number 5 in the top ten supply chain books of all time on www.supplychainopz.com.
- Pitney Bowes
- VW Logistics
- Port of Tilbury
- Travis Perkins
- Proctor & Gamble
- Bausch & Lomb
- CEVA Logistics
- TNT Fashion
- BAE Systems
- Environment Agency
- Siemens Magnet Technology
- Applied Materials
- Kongsberg Automotive
Articles In Journals
- Søgaard B, Skipworth H, Bourlakis M, Mena C & Wilding R (2018) Facing disruptive technologies: Aligning purchasing maturity to contingencies, Supply Chain Management: An International Journal, Early online.
- Hansen C, Mena C & Skipworth H (2017) Exploring political risk in offshoring engagements, International Journal of Production Research, 55 (7) 2051-2067.
- Cerruti C, Mena C, Skipworth H & Tavoletti E (2016) Characterizing agile supply partnerships in the fashion industry, International Journal of Operations and Production Management, 36 (8) 923-947.
- Skipworth H, Godsell J, Wong CY, Saghiri S & Julien D (2015) Supply chain alignment for improved business performance: an empirical study, Supply Chain Management: An International Journal, 20 (5) 511-533.
- Wong CY, Skipworth HD, Godsell J & Achimugu N (2012) Towards a theory of supply chain alignment enablers: a systematic literature review, Supply Chain Management: An International Journal, 17 (4) 419-437.
- Skipworth H & Harrison AS (2008) Implications of form postponement to manufacturing: a cross case comparison, International Journal of Production Research, 46 (1) 173-195.
- Skipworth H & Harrison AS (2006) Implications of form postponement to manufacturing a customized product, International Journal of Production Research, 44 (8) 1627-1652.
- Skipworth H & Harrison A (2004) Implications of form postponement to manufacturing: a case study, International Journal of Production Research, 42 (10) 2063-2081.
- Aitken J, Deakins E, Skipworth H & Cole R (2018) The Role of Temporal Norms and Orientations in Operations Management. In: EurOMA annual conference, Budapest, 24-26 June 2018.
- Nonhoff B, Skipworth H, Bourlakis M, Mena C, Bernon M & Reefke H (2017) Exploring the imperative for purchasing strategic alignment to drive purchasing maturity. In: 24th EurOMA Conference 2017, Edinburgh, 1-5 July 2017.
- Carr J, Skipworth HD & Mena C (2016) Product architecture design: the role for supply chain configuration. In: 27th Annual Conference of the Production and Operations Management Society, Orlando, FL, 6-9 May 2016.
- Shao W, Skipworth H, Welch N & Noble G (2012) A supplier segmentation framework to support a growth strategy at British American Tobacco. In: Logistics Research Network, Cranfield University, Cranfield, 5-7 September 2012.
- Shao W, Skipworth H, Welch N & Noble G (2012) A supplier segmentation framework to support a growth strategy at British American Tobacco. In: 23rd Annual Conference of the Production and Operations Management Society, Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A, 20-23 April 2012.
- Harrison A, van Hoek R & Skipworth H (2015) Logistics Management and Strategy: Competing Through the Supply Chain. Pearson, ed. 5th Edition.
- Harrison A, van Hoek R & Skipworth H (2014) Logistics management and strategy: competing through the supply chain. Harlow: Pearson Education Ltd.
- Bernon M, Baker P, Mena C, Palmer A, Smart A, Skipworth H & Templar S (2012) Towards more sustainable supply chain management. In: Cranfield on Corporate Sustainability, Sheffield: Greenleaf Publishing, p. 149-166.