Contact Dr Chris Mclachlan
PhD, Work & Employment Relations Division, Leeds University Business School
MSc (Research) Business & Management, Leeds University Business School
BA (Hons) HRM (Industry), Leeds University Business School
Graduate Teaching Assistant, Leeds University Business School (2013-16)
Senior Lecturer Human Resources, University of Hertfordshire (2016-18)
Post Doctoral Research Fellow, Centre for Employment Relations Innovation and Change, University of Leeds (2018-20)
My research interests are around the consequences of deindustrialization and restructuring for affected workers and communities, along with the associated industrial relations processes. This has led to an empirical focus on responsible approaches to restructuring in the UK steel industry, examining the different forms of institutional support aimed at ameliorating the negative effects for workers. This research generated insights into the experiences of displaced workers, the role of trade unions in restructuring processes and management strategies.
Articles In Journals
- McLachlan CJ (2021) Developing a framework for responsible downsizing through best fit: the importance of regulatory, procedural, communication and employment responsibilities, International Journal of Human Resource Management, Available online 17 August 2021.
- Stuart M, Spencer DA, McLachlan CJ & Forde C (2021) COVID-19 and the uncertain future of HRM: Furlough, job retention and reform, Human Resource Management Journal, Available online 4 July 2021.
- McLachlan CJ, MacKenzie R & Greenwood I. (2021) Victims, survivors and the emergence of ‘endurers’ as a reflection of shifting goals in the management of redeployment, Human Resource Management Journal, 31 (2) 438-453.
- McLachlan C (2020) Book Review: Rebecca Gumbrell-McCormick and Richard Hyman, Trade Unions in Western Europe: Hard Times, Hard Choices, Work, Employment and Society, Available online 21 May 2020 (6).
- McLachlan CJ (2020) Book Review: Tim Strangleman, Voices of Guinness, Sociology, 54 (4) 860-862.
- McLachlan CJ, MacKenzie R & Greenwood I (2019) The Role of the Steelworker Occupational Community in the Internalization of Industrial Restructuring: The ‘Layering Up’ of Collective Proximal and Distal Experiences, Sociology, 53 (5) 916-930.
- McLachlan CJ & Garcia RJ (2015) Philosophy in practice? Doctoral struggles with ontology and subjectivity in qualitative interviewing, Management Learning, 46 (2) 195-210.