Dr Tjahjono holds a first degree in Electrical Engineering, an MSc and a PhD both in Manufacturing Systems Engineering. He won a scholarship scheme sponsored by the British Government's Foreign and Commonwealth Office/ BUNZL/ Cranfield University, for undertaking the Manufacturing MSc course at Cranfield University, and was also awarded the best student upon completion of that course. He subsequently received a scholarship from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office with the support of the Department of Trade and Industry, British Universities and the industry sectors, to pursue his PhD in Manufacturing Systems Engineering, also at Cranfield University.
His overarching research focus embraces the area of Operations and Supply Chain Management, which incorporates production and service systems. He has a particular interest in the contemporary applications of Simulation Modelling (Discrete-event Simulation, System Dynamics and Agent-based Simulation) to many emerging research areas related to manufacturing systems, such as "servitization" of manufacturing, Product-Service Systems and sustainable manufacturing. His background in electronics enables him to devise an innovative method to integrate asset condition-based monitoring to support the operational planning/execution of the Through-life Engineering Service contracts using the symbiotic simulation techniques.
Dr Tjahjono has a strong track record in research and income generation through winning competitive grants from the EPSRC, EU, InnovateUK, overseas funding agencies and the private sectors. As the Cranfield’s Principal Investigator, he is part of a consortium of seven European universities recently being awarded the Horizon2020 MSCA Innovative Training Network grant from the European Union worth €3,995,643, aiming to formulate the service-oriented business for the European Circular Economy. In this project he leads two Research Fellows who work on the following projects:
Some of his past research funded projects include:
- Principal Investigator of the EPSRC (EP/K504221/1): LINE-TRACK: technology to improve overall yield during the manufacturing process
- Principal Investigator of the EPSRC project (EP/E037631/1): An Evolutionary Approach to Rapid Development of Simulation Models
- Co-investigator of the EPSRC project (EP/I033246/1): EPSRC Centre for Innovative Manufacturing in Through-life Engineering Services
- Principal Investigator of the European Union’s (PIRSES-GA-2013-612263): NETEP – Network of Energy Planning project funded by the Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
- Principal Investigator of various industry projects and commercial contracts
Dr Tjahjono has successfully completed the supervision of over 90 PhD and MSc students and has published over 70 research papers in refereed academic journals, conference proceedings and in practitioners' journals. He serves as Associate Editor of the Journal of Simulation and is a member of several journal editorial boards. He has been General & Programme Chairs of the biennial UK's OR Society Simulation Workshops, the Programme Chair of the ICMR2013 and has served as a track coordinator for 2 prestigious Winter Simulation Conferences in the US.
As the Director of the Manufacturing Masters programme, he was responsible for managing 6 MSc courses. He actively promotes the notion of "Learning in Partnership with Industry" and has developed strong strategic partnerships with more than 10 universities in Europe under the Erasmus Lifelong Learning programme. He initiated a number of collaboration agreements with universities in the South East Asia regions including Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore and also coordinates the overseas student recruitment campaign.
He has an extensive teaching experience in both
engineering and business schools. At Cranfield School of Management (SoM), he
lectures in the Executive Development Programme in Supply Chain Management, in
addition to the regular and executive class teaching of the MSc in Logistics
& Supply Chain Management. He is currently leading 3 MSc modules, namely
Operations and Inventory Management; Information, Sales & Operations
Planning; and Management Science.
Dr Tjahjono fosters a long term partnership with global enterprises from whom he has secured numerous direct industrial project funding. He also maintains a strong rapport with key clients overseas.
- Rolls-Royce plc
- IAC Group
- Pratt & Whitney
- Singapore Institute of Manufacturing Technology (SimTech)
- Hindustan Aerospace Limited, India
- Saudi Industrial Development Fund
Articles In Journals
- Teixeira ELS, Tjahjono B, Absi Alfaro SC & Wilding R (2019) Extending the decision-making capabilities in remanufacturing service contracts by using symbiotic simulation, Computers in Industry, 111 (October) 26-40.
- Rashid A, Masood T, Erkoyuncu JA, Tjahjono B, Khan N & Shami M (2018) Enterprise systems’ life cycle in pursuit of resilient smart factory for emerging aircraft industry: a synthesis of Critical Success Factors’(CSFs), theory, knowledge gaps, and implications, Enterprise Information Systems , 12 (2) 96-136.
- Bernon M & Tjahjono B (2018) Aligning retail reverse logistics practice with circular economy values: An exploratory framework, Production Planning and Control, 29 (6) 483-497.
- Hadiguna RA & Tjahjono B (2017) A framework for managing the sustainable palm oil supply chain operations: a case of Indonesia, Production Planning and Control, 28 (13) 1093-1106.
- Wibowo A, Tjahjono B & Tomiyama T (2017) Designing contracts for aero-engine MRO service providers: models and simulation, Procedia CIRP, 59 246-251.
- Gaspar M, Julião J & Tjahjono B (2017) Enhancing regional produce as green products for the Global Market: An exploratory study in a Portuguese region, International Journal of Social Ecology and Sustainable Development, 8 (3) Article No. 7 100-113.
- Moreira M & Tjahjono B (2016) Applying performance measures to support decision-making in supply chain operations: a case of beverage industry, International Journal of Production Research, 54 (8) 2345-2365.
- Rashid A & Tjahjono B (2016) Achieving manufacturing excellence through the integration of enterprise systems and simulation, Production Planning and Control, 27 (10) 837-852.
- Wibowo A, Tjahjono B & Tomiyama T (2016) Towards an integrated decision making framework for aero engine MRO contract management in the productisation context, Procedia CIRP, 47 24-29.
- Sutanto A, Yuliandra B, Tjahjono B & Hadiguna RA (2015) Product-service system design concept development based on product and service integration, Journal of Design Research, 13 (1) 1-19.
- Pujawan N, Arief MM, Tjahjono B & Kritchanchai D (2015) An integrated shipment planning and storage capacity decision under uncertainty: a simulation study, International Journal of Physical Distribution and Logistics Management, 45 (9/10) 913-937.
- Teixeira E, Tjahjono B, Absi Alfaro S & Soares Juliao J (2013) Harnessing prognostics health management and product-service systems interaction to support operational decisions, Journal of Manufacturing Technology Management, 24 (1) 78-94.
- Teixeira ELS, Tjahjono B & Alfaro SCA (2012) A novel framework to link prognostics and health management and product-service systems using online simulation, Computers in Industry, 63 (7) 669-679.
- Ferreira LP, Gómez EA, Lourido GCP, Quintas JD & Tjahjono B (2012) Analysis and optimisation of a network of closed-loop automobile assembly line using simulation, The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 59 (1-4) 351-366.
- Phumbua S & Tjahjono B (2012) Towards product-service systems modelling: a quest for dynamic behaviour and model parameters, International Journal of Production Research, 50 (2) 425-442.
- Shetwan AG, Vitanov VI & Tjahjono B (2011) Allocation of quality control stations in multistage manufacturing systems, Computers and Industrial Engineering, 60 (4) 473-484.
- Ladbrook J, Tjahjono B, Oakes E, de Sanabria Sales RR, de Rueda AG, Lizarazu U & Temple C (2011) Simulation study for investment decisions on the EcoBoost camshaft machining line, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture, 225 (11) 2124-2137.
- Tjahjono B, Ball P, Vitanov VI, Scorzafave C, Nogueira J, Calleja J, Minguet M, Narasimha L, Rivas A, Srivastava A, Srivastava S & Yadav A (2010) Six Sigma: a literature review, International Journal of Lean Six Sigma , 1 (3) 216-233.
- Goh KM, Tjahjono B & Baines T (2010) Towards a rapid configurable embedded development for manufacturing prognostics: A review and proposed framework, International Journal of Comadem, 13 (2) 2-16.
- Julien DM & Tjahjono B (2009) Lean Thinking Implementation at a Safari Park, Business Process Management Journal, 15 (3) 321-335.
- Benedettini O & Tjahjono B (2009) Towards an improved tool to facilitate simulation modelling of complex manufacturing systems, The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 43 (1-2) 191-199.
- Tjahjono B (2009) Supporting shop floor workers with a multimedia task-oriented information system, Computers in Industry, 60 (4) 257-265.
- Tjahjono B & Julien D (2008) Lions, tigers, and lean, Industrial Engineer -Norcross-, 40 (3/4) 42-46.
- Vitanov VI, Tjahjono B & Marghalany I (2008) Heuristic Rules-Based Logic Cell Formation Algorithm, International Journal of Production Research, 46 (2) 321-344.
- Greenough Richard M & Tjahjono Benny (2007) An interactive electronic technical manual for an advanced aerospace assembly machine., The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 33 (9-10) 1045-1055.
- Vitanov Val, Tjahjono Benny & Marghalany I (2007) A decision support tool to facilitate the design of cellular manufacturing layouts, Computers and Industrial Engineering, 52 (4) 380-403.
- Julka Nirupam, Baines Tim S, Tjahjono Benny, Lendermann Peter & Vitanov Val (2007) A review of multi-factor capacity expansion models for manufacturing plants: Searching for a holistic decision aid., International Journal of Production Economics, 106 (2) 607-621.
- Ball P, Tjahjono B, Smart P, Ladbrook J & Butler-Adams W (2007) No training wheels required : manufacturing system upgrades rely on novice simulators, Industrial Engineer -Norcross-, 39 (9) 36-39.
- Lim Roland Y G, Baines Tim S, Tjahjono Benny & Chandraprakaikul Watcharavee (2006) Integrated Strategic Supply Chain Positioning for SMEs: An Empirical Study, The International Journal of Logistics Management.
- Tjahjono B & Greenough R (2002) Using collaborative authoring to develop a hypermedia performance support system, Performance Improvement, 41 (6) 34-41.
- Ripanti E, Tjahjono B & Fan I (2016) Maximising the retained value of product cannibalisation based on circular economy principles. In: 23rd EurOMA Conference, 2016, Trondheim, 19-22 June 2016.
- Wibowo A, Tjahjono B & Tomiyama T (2016) Productisation business model in non-OEM aero-engine MRO service providers. In: 14th International Conference on Manufacturing Research (ICMR 2016), Loughborough, 6-8 September 2016.
- Tjahjono B, Martínez-Conde Moreno J, Tonnellier X, Schaeffer R & Portugal-Pereira J (2016) Towards the development of the supply chain of concentrated solar power. In: International Congress On Logistics and SCM Systems, 2016, Bali, 27-29 July 2016.
- Julião G, Gaspar M & Tjahjono B (2016) Exploring the sustainability dimension to position Portuguese Beiras region endogenous resources as green products in the global market. In: Regional Helix 2016 International Conference on Triple Helix Dynamics, Castelo Branco, 29 June - 1 July 2016.
- Maklan S, Tjahjono B & Jüttner U (2015) Making Sense of the Technology Revolution in Service Marketing. In: QUIS14 Service Excellence in Management: Collaborative Innovations in the Network Environment, Shanghai, 18 June 2015.
- Tjahjono B, Silva Teixeira EL & Absi Alfaro SC Simulation modelling of through-life engineering services. In: 55th Annual Conference of the Operational Research Society 2013, OR55, Exeter, 3 September 2013.
- Tjahjono B, Silva Teixeira EL & Crisostomo Absi Alfaro S (2013) An online simulation to link asset condition monitoring and operations decisions in through-life engineering services. In: 2013 Winter simulation conference (WSC 2013), Washington, DC, 8-11 December 2013.
- Ferreira LP, Ares E, Peláez G, Resano A, Luis CJ & Tjahjono B (2012) Evaluation of the changes in working limits in an automobile assembly line using simulation. In: 4th Manufacturing Engineering Society International Conference, MESIC 2011, Cadiz, 21-23 September 2011.
- Ferreira L, Ares E, Peláez G, Tjahjono B & Areal J (2012) Production planning and control in an automobile closed-loops assembly line. In: 4th Manufacturing Engineering Society International Conference, MESIC2011, Cadiz, 21-23 September 2011.
- Tjahjono B & Ladbrook J (2012) Simulation modeling of tool delivery system in a machining line. In: 2011 Winter Simulation Conference (WSC 2011), Phoenix, AZ, 11-14 December 2011.
- Phumbua S & Tjahjono B. (2012) Understanding the implications of service contracting in product-service businesses. In: 6th Operational Research Society Simulation Workshop (SW12), 2012, Redditch, Worcestershire, 27-28 March 2012.
- Ferreira L., Gómez E., Lourido G. & Tjahjono B. (2011) Optimization of a multiphase multiproduct production line based on virtual cells. In: World Congress on Engineering 2011, WCE 2011, London, 6 July 2011.
- Mahayuddin ZR & Tjahjono B (2011) Rapid simulation model building through classification of problems: A case of manufacturing assembly lines. In: International Conference on Electrical Engineering and Informatics 2011 (ICEEI 2011) , Bandung, 17-19 July 2011.
- Mahayuddin Z. & Tjahjono B. Simulation modelling by classification of problems: A case of assembly lines. In: 2010 5th Operational Research Society Simulation Workshop (SW10), Abbey Hotel and Country Club Worcestershire, 23 March 2010.
- Goh KM, Ding W & Tjahjono B (2010) Iterative knowledge based code generator for IEC 61499 function block. In: TENCON 2009 - 2009 IEEE Region 10 Conference, Singapore, 23-26 November 2009.
- Tjahjono B, Ball P, Ladbrook J & Kay J (2010) Assembly line design principles using Six Sigma and simulation. In: Winter simulation conference 2009 (WSC 2009), Austin, TX, 13-16 December 2009.
- Goh KM, Tjahjono B, Joseph J & Zhuang LQ (2008) Automation objects for product service system enabler device. In: IEEE International Conference on Emerging Technologies and Factory Automation 2008, Hamburg, 15-18 September 2008.
- Goh KM, Tjahjono B, Manaf A & Aendenroomer AJR (2008) An IEC 61499 based run-to-run controller for chemical mechanical planarization process. In: IEEE International Conference on Emerging Technologies and Factory Automation 2008, Hamburg, 15-18 September 2008.
- Tjahjono B & Fernández R (2008) Practical approach to experimentation in a simulation study. In: Winter Simulation Conference 2008, WSC 2008, Miami, FL, 7-10 December 2008.
- Goh K., Tjahjono B. & Aendenroomer A. (2007) A rapid configurable embedded development framework. In: 12th IEEE International Conference on Emerging Technologies and Factory Automation, ETFA 2007, Patras, 25-28 September 2007.
- Goh K M, Tjahjono B, Baines TS & Subramaniam S (2006) A Review of research in manufacturing prognostics. In: 2006 IEEE International Conference on Industrial Informatics : INDIN 06, Grand Copthorne Waterfront Hotel, 16-18 August 2006.
- Vitanov VI, Marghalany I & Tjahjono B (2006) Heuristic-based Cell Formation Algorithm. In: 3rd International Conference on Group Technology and Cellular Manufacturing, Groningen, The Netherlands, 3 July 2006.
- Tang SJ, Tjahjono B & Kay JM (2006) Life-cycle-Based (LCB) online acquisition framework for supporting Mass Customisation (MC) in practice.. In: 8th International Conference on Modern Information Technology in the Innovation Processes of the Industrial Enterprises, Budapest, 11 September 2006.
- Lee Gan Kai William, Baines TS & Tjahjono B (2005) Agile Manufacturing: Competitive Advantage for Semiconductors Industry. In: Proceedings of the 16th Annual Conference of the Production and Operations Management Society, Chicago, IL, 29 April 2005.
- Tjahjono B & Greenough R (2005) Continuous improvement through innovative information management. In: Proceedings of the 16th Annual Conference of the Production and Operations Management Society, Chicago, Illinois, US, 29 April 2005.
- Greenough R & Tjahjono B (2002) Hypermedia Performance Support for Agile Manufacturing. In: Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Managing Innovative Manufacturing, University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, USA., 9 September 2002.
- Tjahjono B & Wu B (2001) e-Knowledge: An Approach To Fostering Manufacturing Know-how. In: Proceedings fo the 12th Annual conference of the Production and Operations Management Society, Orlando, FL, 30 March 2001.
- Tjahjono B, Fakun D, Greenough R & Kay JM (2001) Evaluation of a manufacturing task support system using the Task-Technology fit model. In: Proceedings of the 12th Annual conference of the Production and Operations Management Society, Orlando, Florida, USA, 30 March 2001.
- Tjahjono Benny, Fakun D, Greenough Richard M & Kay John M (2001) Evaluation of a Manufacturing Task Support System using the Task Technology Fit Model..
- Tjahjono B, Greenough R & Kay JM (2001) Empirical Results from a hypermedia task support system implementation. In: Proceedings of the 17th National Conference on Manufacturing Research, Cardiff, Wales, UK, 4 September 2001.
- Ripanti E, Tjahjono B & Fan I Circular economy in reverse logistics: relationships and potential applications in product remanufacturing. In: 20th Logistics Research Network Conference, 2015, University of Derby, 9-11 September 2015.
- Chandraprakaikul W, Baines TS, Lim RYG & Tjahjono B Strategic positioning of manufacturing operations within global supply chains. In: POMS 2007: 18th Annual Conference, Dallas, Texas, USA, 4-7 May 2007.
- Ferreira LP, Ares Gómez E, Peláez Lourido GC & Tjahjono B (2013) Modeling a complex production line using virtual cells. In: Electrical engineering and intelligent systems. Ao S-I, Gelman L (ed.), New York, NY.: Springer, p. 361-373.
- Ferreira L., Ares E., Peláez G., Resano A., Luis C. & Tjahjono B. (2012) Simulation of a closed-loops assembly line.
- Goh KM, Tjahjono B & Wei D (2010) Iterative knowledge based embedded systems development framework. In: Reconfigurable embedded control systems: applications for flexibility and agility. Khalgui M, Hanisch HM (ed.), Hershey, PA: IGI Global Publishing, p. 542-566.