Dr Hanlon is an academic and practitioner in strategic digital marketing and the application of social media for business.
Her PhD investigated benefits and outcomes of social media marketing within organisations for which she was awarded the Mais Scholarship. Originally a graduate in French and Linguistics from University of London, Annmarie studied for the Chartered Institute of Marketing Diploma and won the Worshipful Company of Marketors’ award for the best results worldwide. She gained a Master’s in Business Administration, focusing on marketing planning and achieved a distinction for the Chartered Institute of Marketing’s E-Marketing Award.
Prior to joining Cranfield Dr Hanlon was Programme Director for the University of Derby’s BSc (Hons) Marketing (Digital) and Course Leader for Social Media Management on the International Executive MBA programme at the University of St Gallen. She is the past Senior Examiner for Digital Strategy for the Chartered Institute of Marketing, where she contributed to the initial module development, module specification, assignment creation and managing a team of examiners.
Dr Hanlon has expertise in the strategic application of social media for business and the move from digitization, to digitalization and digital transformation for business. Her expertise spans consumer touch points, online customer service, the use of reviews, the role of influencers, online engagement and digital content. She has run her own consultancy for over twenty years and is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Marketing, a Member of the Marketing Institute Ireland and a Liveryman of the Worshipful Company of Marketors.
I am exploring: digital transformation
within organisations, the role of MarTech; how influencer content impacts
engagement; unethical behaviour in social media, deceptive marketing and the role of digital in B2B markets.
Dr Hanlon is Senior Lecturer in Digital and Social Media Marketing in the Cranfield School of Management. She teaches on the MSc Strategic Marketing, the MBA and EMBA programmes, the MSc Retail & Digital Banking and the Exec MSc in Marketing and Leadership (Level 7 Apprenticeship). She is the module leader for Digital and Social Media Marketing and Understanding Markets and Competitors. She is a thesis supervisor, co-supervises a DBA candidate and acts as a panel chair on the PhD programme.
Since 2016 Annmarie has worked with Ulster University. Initially involved with re-validating the multi-entry pathway degree and subsequently as External Examiner for the BSc Customer Contact Management.
Dr Hanlon is the co-editor of a two-volume SAGE handbook: The SAGE Handbook of Digital Marketing and The SAGE Handbook of Social Media Marketing. The second edition of her textbook Digital Marketing: Strategic Planning & Integration is due for publication in 2022.
Outside her teaching at Cranfield, Dr Hanlon delivers a series of Twitter for Academics sessions as part of public policy engagement, along with one to one training with CEOs, Deans and PVCs in using and managing social media.
Over the last twenty years Dr Hanlon has worked on marketing consultancy projects in the UK, Europe, Hong Kong and the United States, in sectors including construction, legal and tax services, software, financial services, pharmaceuticals, communications, health, leisure, media and IT. In addition to practical consultancy, she has delivered executive training in Digital Strategy and social media for companies including:
Small Luxury Hotels of the World
- Hanlon A. & Jones K. and Lawson A. (2019) A Social Media Affordances Maturity Scale for Organisations (forthcoming). In: BAM 2019: Building and Sustaining High Performance Organisations in Uncertain Times: Challenges and Opportunities, Birmingham, 3-5 September 2019.
- Hanlon A & Foster C (2018) Technology mediated online service interactions in travel companies: Select software sensibly. In: THE INC (Tourism Hospitality & Events International Conference), Buxton, 26-28 June 2018.
- Hanlon A, Longbottom D & Lawson A (2016) The radical marketing manifesto. Say sorry and adopt software. In: Academy of Marketing Conference 2016, Newcastle, 4-7 July 2016.
- Hanlon A, Longbottom D & Lawson A (2015) A framework for social media network selection to add value to business to consumer companies. In: Academy of Marketing Conference, Limerick, 7-9 July 2015.
- Hanlon A, Tuten TL (eds), (2022) The SAGE handbook of social media marketing, SAGE.
- Hanlon A, Tuten TL (eds), (2022) The SAGE handbook of digital marketing, SAGE.
- Hanlon A (2022) The digital marketing planner: Your step-by-step guide. SAGE Publications Ltd..
- Hanlon A (2022) Digital marketing: Strategic planning & integration. SAGE Publications Ltd, ed. 2nd.
- Hanlon A (2020) Chapter 31: Ethics in Digital Marketing and Social Media. In: The SAGE Handbook of Marketing Ethics, SAGE, p. 424-443.
- Hanlon A (2019) Digital Marketing: Strategic Planning & Integration. London: SAGE Publications.
- Hanlon A (2018) Social Media Marketing. In: Marketing Graffiti, Oxford: Routledge.
- Hanlon A (2016) Market Sensing via Social Media. In: Alternative Market Research Methods: Market Sensing, Oxford: Routledge.
- Hanlon A (2014) Quick Win Social Media Marketing. Cork, Ireland: Oak Tree Press.
- Hanlon A (2009) Quick Win Marketing. Cork, Ireland: Oak Tree Press.
- Hanlon A & Akins J (2009) Quick Win Digital Marketing. Cork, Ireland: Oak Tree Press.