Contact Dr Andrea Moro
Before joining the academia in 2008, Andrea Moro worked for fifteen years as senior financial advisor for SMEs in a consulting firm completely owned by a group of Italian small local banks. In that role, he advised small and medium sized firms on financial topic during the start-up stage, major investments as well as during turnaround. The role implied the analysis of the financial soundness of projects, the setting up of budgets, the support to firms’ management during negotiations with investors and banks.
He moved to the academia in 2008 firstly joining The Open University Business School where he taught finance modules in the MBA and in 2010 University of Leicester School of Management. In 2014, he joined Cranfield University where he currently teaches Finance to the Full Time MBA students and Entrepreneurial Finance to the MSc Finance students.
He is currently non-executive member of the board of directors of two real estate development firms in Italy and member of governing body of two schools in Milton Keynes. In addition, he advises a leading Italian insurance company about CSR and Corporate social responsibility reporting.
Andrea Moro’s research interests are mainly on firms – bank lending relationship. He investigates issues firms face accessing credit, what can reduce the information asymmetry between firms and banks and the role of soft factors such as trust in the lending relationships. In addition, he is interested in small firms’ capital structure and its optimisation as well as small business financial planning.
Articles In Journals
- Kautonen T, Fredriksson A, Minniti M & Moro A (2021) Trust-based banking and SMEs’ access to credit, Journal of Business Venturing Insights, 14 (November) Article No. e00191.
- Moro A, Maresch D, Fink M, Ferrando A & Piga C (2020) Spillover effects of government initiatives fostering entrepreneurship on the access to bank credit for entrepreneurial firms in Europe, Journal of Corporate Finance, 62 (June) Article No. 101603 1-23.
- Tang Y & Moro A (2020) Trade credit in China: Exploring the link between short term debt and payables, Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, 59 (February) Article No. 101240.
- Kajtazi A & Moro A (2019) The role of bitcoin in well diversified portfolios: A comparative global study, International Review of Financial Analysis, 61 (January) 143-157.
- Samatas A, Makrominas M & Moro A (2019) Financial intermediation, capital composition and income stagnation: The case of Europe, Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, 162 (June) 273-289.
- Massaro M, Moro A, Aschauer E & Fink M (2019) Trust, control and knowledge transfer in small business networks, Review of Managerial Science , 13 (2) 267-301.
- Moro A & Wang D. (2019) FinTech Projects and Initial Coin Offerings: A Research Note, The Journal of Entrepreneurial Finance, 21 (1).
- Moro A, Fink M, Maresch D & Fredriksson A (2018) Loan managers’ decisions and trust in entrepreneurs in different institutional contexts, Entrepreneurship and Regional Development, 30 (1-2) 146-172.
- Ollows L, Moro A & Mugo- Waweru F (2018) Soft information acquisition and transfer in the small and medium enterprise (SME) lending process: a study of commercial banks in Kenya, Archives of Business Research, 6 (7) 1-11.
- Tang Y, Moro A, Sozzo S & Li Z (2018) Modelling trust evolution within small business lending relationships, Financial Innovation, 4 (19).
- Moro A, Wisnkewski T & Mantovani G (2017) Does a manager's gender matter when accessing credit? Evidence from European data, Journal of Banking and Finance, 80 (July) 119-134.
- Tang Y, Deng C & Moro A. (2017) Firm-bank trusting relationship and discouraged borrowers, Review of Managerial Science , 11 (3) 519-541.
- Aschauer E, Fink M, vanBakel-Auer K, Warming-Rasmussen E & Moro A (2017) Trust and Professional Skepticism in the Relationship between Auditors and Clients - Overcoming the Dichotomy Myth, Behavioral Research in Accounting, 29 (1) 19-42.
- Fredriksson A, Maresch D, Fink M & Moro A (2017) When the Going Gets Tough, the Tough Get Going, The Journal of Entrepreneurial Finance, 19 (1) Article No. 3.
- Fredriksson A, Maresch D & Moro A (2017) Much Ado about nothing? Interest and non-interest products and services: Their impact on small banks’ margins, Cogent Economics and Finance , 5 (1) Article No. 1339771 1-14.
- Moro A, Maresch D & Ferrando A (2016) Creditor protection, judicial enforcement and credit access, European Journal of Finance, 24 (3) 250-281.
- Moro A, Fink M & Maresch D (2015) Reduction of Information Asymmetry and Credit Access for Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises, Journal of Financial Research, 38 (1) 121-143.
- Aschauer E, Moro A & Massaro M (2015) The auditor as a change agent for SMEs: the role of confidence, trust and identification, Review of Managerial Science , 9 (2) 339-360.
- Fredriksson A & Moro A (2014) Bank-SMEs relationships and banks’ risk-adjusted profitability, Journal of Banking and Finance, 41 67-77.
- Wisniewski T & Moro A (2014) When EU Leaders Speak, the Markets Listen, European Accounting Review, 23 (4) 519-551.
- Moro A, Fink M & Kautonen T (2014) How do banks assess entrepreneurial competence? The role of voluntary information disclosure, International Small Business Journal, 32 (5) 525-544.
- Moro A & Fink M (2013) Loan managers’ trust and credit access for SMEs, Journal of Banking and Finance, 37 (3) 927-936.
- Howorth C & Moro A (2012) Trustworthiness and interest rates: an empirical study of Italian SMEs, Small Business Economics, 39 (1) 161-177.
- Moro A, Lucas M & Kodwani D (2012) Trust and the Demand for Personal Collateral in SME-Bank Relationships, The Journal of Entrepreneurial Finance, 16 (1) 57-79.
- Moro A, Lucas MR & Grimm UG (2012) The Debt Structure of SMEs: An Optimization Model, Journal of Entrepreneurial Finance, 16 (1) 87-108.
- Howorth C & Moro A (2006) Trust within entrepreneur bank relationships: Insights from Italy, Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 30 (4) 495-517.
- Fink M, Moro A & Maresch D (2016) Corporate governance regulation, legal origin and small business access to credit: a cross-European comparison. In: 2016 Financial Management Association Annual Meeting, Las Vegas, 19-22 October 2016.
- Maresch Daniela, Moro Andrea & Fink Matthias (2016) Do Good Firms get More Cash? Corporate Governance Regulation, Legal Origin and Small Business Access to Credit across Europe. In: Financial Management Association, Las Vegas, 19 October 2016.
- Moro A & Maresch D (2016) Employment protection legislation and credit access in Europe. In: Eastern Finance Association 52nd Annual Conference, Baltimore, 6-8 April 2016.
- Moro A & Wisniewski T (2015) Does a Manager’s Gender Matter when Accessing Credit? Evidence from European Data. In: Eastern Finance Association 51st Annual Conference, New Orleans, 9 April 2015.
- Moro A, Nolte S & Dias A (2015) Entrepreneur’s wealth, firm performance and cost of capital: a Bayesian approach to the capital structure of entrepreneurial firms. In: Academy of Management Annual Conference, 2015**, Vancouver, British Columbia (75th), 7-11 August 2015.
- Moro Andrea & Daniela Maresch (2015) Employment Protection Legislation and Credit Access. In: IFASB Eurpean Conference, Oxford, 12 September 2015.
- Moro A, Fredriksson A & Fink M (2014) The Role of Firms’ Quality and Product Diversification on Banks’ Risk-Adjusted Profitability: An Economic Analysis. In: Eastern Finance Association 50th Annual Conference, Pittsburgh, 9 April 2014.
- Moro A, Maresch D, Ferrando A & Barbar J (2017) Neither a Borrower Nor a Lender Be! Loan Application and Credit Decision for Young European Firms. In: Access to Bank Credit and SME Financing. Rossi Stefania (ed.), Palgrave, p. 29-58.
- Moro A & Howorth C (2009) The Role of Trust in Accessing Short-Term Credit. In: XIV Rapporto sul sistema finanziario italiano: le banche italiane fra crisi finanziaria, protezione del risparmio e sviluppo di prodotti. D. Masciandaro, G Bracco (ed.), Rome: EdiBanca, p. 451-452.
- Giancane S, Moro A, Tarfusser CJ & Turra B (2007) La sperimentazione del Bilancio Sociale della Procura della Repubblica di Bolzano: aspetti metodologici e pratici. In: Lo standard GBS per la rendicontazione sociale nella pubblica amministrazione. Paolo Ricci (ed.), Franco Angeli, p. 202-212.