Contact Dr Andre Van Stel
André is a Senior Researcher at EIM Business and Policy Research (a member of Panteia) in Zoetermeer, the Netherlands. EIM is a large research company investigating topics of small business and entrepreneurship. Besides a two-year period as a Senior Research Fellow at the Bettany Centre for Entrepreneurial Performance and Economics (2006-2008), André’s past affiliations include the Max Planck Institute of Economics, the Erasmus University Rotterdam, and the University of Amsterdam. André holds a PhD in Economics and a Masters Degree in Econometrics, both from Erasmus University Rotterdam. His main research interests are in the areas of the determinants and consequences of entrepreneurship and in topics of industrial organisation. André has published in numerous journals including Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, Journal of Business Venturing, Small Business Economics and Venture Capital. As a Visiting Fellow at the Bettany Centre, André’s research focuses on the interrelationships between levels of new venture entry and exit and average profits at the industry level. Another research topic of interest is the behaviour of informal investors. In investigating these matters André works closely with Professor Andrew Burke.
Articles In Journals
- Burke A & van Stel A (2014) Entry and exit in disequilibrium, Journal of Business Venturing, 29 (1) 174-192.
- Burke A, Hartog C, van Stel A & Suddle K (2010) How does entrepreneurial activity affect the supply of informal investors?, Venture Capital, 12 (1) 21-47.
- Burke A, van Stel A & Thurik R (2010) Blue Ocean vs. Five Forces, Harvard Business Review, 88 (5) 28-28.
- Bosma N, van Stel A & Suddle K (2008) The Geography of the New Firm Formation: Evidence from Independent Start-Ups and New Subsidiaries in the Netherlands.
- Mueller Pamela, van Stel André & Storey David J (2008) The Effects of New Firm Formation on Regional Development Over Time: The Case of Great Britain, Small Business Economics, 30 (1) 59-71.
- Van Stel André & Suddle Kashifa (2008) The impact of new firm formation on regional development in the Netherlands, Small Business Economics, 30 (1) 31-47.
- Thurik A Roy, Carree Martin, van Stel André & Audretsch David B (2008) Does Self-Employment Reduce Unemployment?, Journal of Business Venturing, 23 (6) 673-686.
- van Stel A, Storey D & Thurik A (2007) The effect of business regulations on Nascent and Young Business Entrepreneurship, Small Business Economics, 28 (40239) 171-186.
- Wennekers A, Thurik A, van Stel A & Noorderhaven N (2007) Avoidance and the rate of business ownership across 21 OECD countries, 1976-2004, Journal of Evolutionary Economics, 17 (2) 133-160.
- Bosma N, van Stel A & Suddle K (2007) The geography of new firm formation: Evidence from independent startups and new subsidiaries in the Netherlands, International Entrepreneurship and Management Journal.
- Wennekers Sander, Thurik Roy, van Stel Andre & Noorderhaven Niels (2007) Uncertainty avoidance and the rate of business ownership across 21 OECD countries, 1976–2004., Journal of Evolutionary Economics, 17 (2) 133-160.
- van Stel A & Stunnenberg V (2006) Linking business ownership and perceived administrative complexity, Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development, 13 (1) 7-22.
- Verheul I, van Stel A & Thurik A (2006) Explaining female and male entrepreneurship at the country level, 18 (2) 151-183.
- Verheul I, van Stel A, Thurik A & Urbano D (2006) The relationship between business ownership and unemployment in Spain: A matter of quantity or quality?, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, 24 (2) 435-457.
- van Stel A, Carree A & Thurik A (2005) The effect of entrepreneurial activity on national economic growth, Small Business Economics, 24 (3) 311-321.
- Wennekers A, van Stel A, Thurik A & Reynolds P (2005) Nascent entrepreneurship and the level of economic development, Small Business Economics, 24 (3) 293-309.
- Audretsch D, Carree A, van Stel A & Thurik A (2004) Impeded industrial restructuring: The growth penalty, Kyklos, 55 (1) 81-98.
- Noorderhaven N, Thurik A, Wennekers A & van Stel A (2004) The role of dissatisfaction and per capita income in explaining self-employment across 15 European countries, Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 28 (5) 447-466.
- van Stel A & Carree A (2004) Business ownership and sectoral growth: An empirical analysis of 21 OECD countries, International Small Business Journal, 22 (4) 389-419.
- van Stel A & Nieuwenhuijsen H (2004) Knowledge spillovers and economic growth: An analysis using data of Dutch regions in the period 1987-1995, Regional Studies, 38 (4) 393-407.
- Van Stel AJ & Storey D (2004) The link between firm births and job creation: Is there a Upas Tree effect?, Regional Studies, 38 (8) 893-909.
- Carree M, van Stel A, Thurik A & Wennekers A (2002) Economic Development and Business Ownership: An Analysis Using Data of 23 OECD Countries in the Period 1976-1996, Small Business Economics, 19 (3) 271-290.
- Burke A, van Stel A, Roman C, Millan & J (2012) Start-up size strategy: Risk management and performance. In: ISBE (Institute for Small Businesses and Entrepreneurship) Conference, Dublin, 7 November 2012.
- Burke A, Hartog C, van Stel A & Suddle K (2008) How Does Entrepreneurial Activity Affect the Supply of Business Angels?. In: RENT XXII - Research in Entrepreneurship and Small Business Conference, Covilh, Portugal.
- Burke A, van Stel A & Thurik A (2008) Investigating Blue Ocean versus Competitive Strategy: A Statistical Analysis of the Retail Industry. In: RENT XXII - Research in Entrepreneurship and Small Business Conference, Covilh, Portugal.
- Golpe A & van Stel A (2007) Self-Employment and Unemployment in Spanish Regions. In: Babson College Annual Entrepreneurship Conference.
- Golpe A & van Stel A (2008) Self-Employment and Unemployment in Spanish Regions in the Period 1979-2001. In: Measuring Entrepreneurship:Building a Statistical System (International Studies in Entrepreneurship), New York: Springer, p. 191-204.
- Hussels S & van Stel A (2008) Global Entrepreneurship Monitor and Entrepreneurs' Export Orientation. In: Measuring Entrepreneurship: Building a Statistical System (International Studies in Enterpreneurship), New York: Springer, p. 265-278.
- van Stel A (2006) Empirical analysis of entrepreneurship and economic growth. New York: Springer Science.
- Baptista R, van Stel A & Thurik A (2006) Entrepreneurship, industrial restructuring and unemployment in Portugal. In: Entrepreneurship, Growth, and Innovation: The Dynamics of Firms and Industries. Santarelli E (ed.), New York: Springer Science, p. 223-241.
- van Stel A (2005) Entrepreneurship and economic growth: some empirical studies. Amsterdam: Thela Thesis.