Prior to completing her PhD in the School of Applied Science Palie gained industrial experience in the manufacturing and professional services sectors at Racal Defence and Electronic Data Processing plc. Palie's earlier research focused on open innovation and science, the funding of climate change research projects, bio-science innovation networks, national innovation systems and intrapreneurship for social and discontinuous innovation.
Palie's research interests are positioned within the broader field of innovation and technology management,and more recently have encompassed responsible innovation and entrepreneurship. She is currently the Principal Investigator for an Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) Systematic Review project with responsibilities to explore the notion of responsible (or sustainability-led) innovation. She is pursuing this project within the £8m EPSRC Centre for Innovative Manufacturing in Industrial Sustainability (a collaboration between Cambridge, Cranfield, Imperial Loughborough Universities) based at Cambridge University.
Palie is working with Massachusetts Institute of Technology scholars on an industrial sustainability initiative. She is a member of the Open Innovation Research Forum (OIRF), an international network of researchers. She is also interested in the nature and role of management research and its impact on practice and policy. Inspired by Professor Anne Huff (President of Academy of Management 1998-99) and founding Director of Advanced Institute of Management (AIM),she has supported the Annual Cambridge University Research Methodology Conference. She was awarded an EPSRC grant to investigate the potential for Open Science in academic professional practice in 2012.
- PWC Global Consulting
- UK Bio Bank
- UK BioIndustry Association
Research collaborations over my academic career have included the EPSRC, Boeing-Cranfield Integrated Vehicle Health Management Centre, Cambridge University Institute of Biotechnology, UCL Department of Biochemical Engineering, UK Bio-Industry Association, UK Bio-bank, IBM Business Consulting and AIM. More recently, I collaborated with Engineering Employers Federation (EEF) and Lloyds Banking Group sponsored research project to launch the first Women in Manufacturing FTSE 100 Report, with a widely publicized address by Dr Vince Cable (Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills) in March 2013.
Articles In Journals
- Adams R, Smart P & Huff A (2016) Shades of grey: guidelines for working with the grey literature in systematic reviews for Management and Organizational Studies, International Journal of Management Reviews.
- Lightfoot H, Baines T & Smart P (2013) The servitization of manufacturing: a systematic literature review of interdependent trends, International Journal of Operations and Production Management, 33 (11/12) 1408-1434.
- Baines T, Lightfoot H, Smart P & Fletcher S (2013) Servitization of manufacture: Exploring the deployment and skills of people critical to the delivery of advanced services, Journal of Manufacturing Technology Management, 24 (4) 637-646.
- Lettice F, Smart P, Baruch Y & Johnson M (2012) Navigating the impact-innovation double hurdle: The case of a climate change research fund, Research Policy, 41 (6) 1048-1057.
- Lettice F & Smart P (2012) Don't assume that innovation and impact go hand in hand, Research Fortnight (3 October).
- Baines T, Lightfoot H & Smart P (2012) Servitization within manufacturing operations: An exploration of the impact on facilities practices, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture, 226 (2) 377-380.
- Lightfoot H, Baines T & Smart P (2011) Examining the information and communication technologies enabling servitized manufacture, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture, 225 (10) 1964-1968.
- Baines T, Lightfoot H & Smart P (2011) Servitization within manufacturing: Exploring the provision of advanced services and their impact on vertical integration, Journal of Manufacturing Technology Management, 22 (7) 947-954.
- Siedlok F, Smart P & Gupta A (2010) Convergence and reorientation via open innovation: the emergence of nutraceuticals, Technology Analysis and Strategic Management, 22 (5) 571-592.
- Holmes S & Smart P (2009) Exploring open innovation practice in firm-nonprofit engagements: a corporate social responsibility perspective, R&D Management, 39 (4) 394-409.
- McLaughlin P, Bessant J & Smart P (2008) Developing an organisation culture to facilitate radical innovation, International Journal of Technology Management, 44 (3-4) 298-323.
- Rowe & Andrew and Palminder Smart (2008) Making Dance: Learning & Designing Issues in Biotechnology Networks, Aesthesis: International Journal of Art and Aesthetics in Management and Organizational Life, 2 (3) 75-84.
- Ajayi M & Smart P (2008) Innovation and learning: exploring feedback from service to design, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture, 222 (9) 1195-1199.
- Smart PK, Bessant J & Gupta A (2007) Towards Technological Rules for Designing Innovation Networks : a Dynamic Capabilities View, International Journal of Operations and Production Management, 27 (10) 1069-1092.
- Gupta A, Pawar K & Smart PK (2007) New product development in the pharmaceutical and telecommunication industries: A comparative study, International Journal of Production Economics, 106 (1) 41-60.
- Ball P, Tjahjono B, Smart P, Ladbrook J & Butler-Adams W (2007) No training wheels required : manufacturing system upgrades rely on novice simulators, Industrial Engineer -Norcross-, 39 (9) 36-39.
- Tranfield DR, Rowe A, Smart PK, Levene R, Deasley P & Corley J (2005) Coordinating for service delivery in public-private partnership and private finance initiative construction projects: early findings from an exploratory study, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture, 219 (1) 165-175.
- Morton SC, Brookes NJ, Smart PK & Burns ND (2004) Managing the Informal organisation: A Conceptual Model, International Journal of Productivity and Performance Management, 53 (3).
- Smart PK (2003) Bio-Management Challenges for New Product Development in a Genomic Age, Management focus (20) 18-20.
- Tranfield DR, Denyer D & Smart PK (2003) Towards a Methodology for Developing Evidence-Informed Management Knowledge by Means of Systematic Review, British Journal of Management, 14 (3) 207-222.
- Smart PK, Tranfield DR, Deasley P, Levene R, Rowe A & Corley J (2003) Integrating lean and high reliability thinking, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture, 217 (5) 733-739.
- Smart P, Brookes N, Lettice F, Backhouse C & Burns N (2002) A boundary-based view of product development - A feasibility study, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture, 216 (1) 1-12.
- Smart PK, Brookes N, Lettice F, Backhouse C & Burns N (2000) Working the Boundaries in the Motor Industry, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture, 214 (10) 941-946.
- Evans S, Lettice FE & Smart P (1995) A faster, cheaper and safer route to CE, World Class Design to Manufacture, 2 (2) 10-16.
- Lettice F, Smart PK & Evans S (1995) A Workbook-based Methodology for Implementing Concurrent Engineering, International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics, 16 (4-6) 339-351.
- Evans S, Lettice F & Smart PK (1995) Implementation van Concurrent Engineering in Groot-Brittannie, De Constructeur 20-24.
- Mclaughlin P, Bessant J & Smart PK Developing an organization culture to facilitate radical innovation, International Journal of Technology Management.
- Hemel S, Smart P, Pilbeam C & MacDonald E (2016) Institutional pluralism and the search for sustainability-oriented innovations. In: 2016 R&D Management Conference, Cambridge.
- Hemel S, Smart P, MacDonald E & Pilbeam CJ (2014) Searching for sustainability-led innovation: reconciling the unintended consequences of conflicting organizational logics. In: 6th International Conference on Sustainability and Responsibility , Berlin.
- Hemel S & Smart P (2013) Responsible Innovation: incipient stages of a conceptual model. In: BAM 2013, Liverpool.
- Rowe A, Smart P, Corley J, Tranfield D, Levene R & Deasley P (2002) New management forms for construction projects. In: IEEE International Engineering Management Conference.