Contact Dr Arnoud Franken
Early in his career as a mechanical engineer, Dr Arnoud Franken appreciated that advanced technology alone cannot make change happen. Getting people to adopt new ideas and start behaving in particular ways requires more. Inspired to find out how to lead change that people are keen to rally around, he set out on a journey that bridged the worlds of engineering, the military, and business. As a Senior Lecturer in Change Management at Cranfield School of Management, he has worked with senior managers and executives of a wide range of organisations, including EMC 2, GSK, IHG, Jaguar Land Rover, L’Oréal, Rolls-Royce, NATO SHAPE, UK Ministry of Defence, Swiss Re and Virgin Atlantic. He has published his research with Harvard Business Review and California Management Review. In 2015 he was granted the Cranfield School of Management Teaching and Learning Award.
Articles In Journals
- Franken A (2015) Wargaming - What Have You Got To Lose?, Defence Global (May) 80-81.
- Daniel EM, Ward JM & Franken A (2014) A dynamic capabilities perspective of IS project portfolio management, Journal of Strategic Information Systems, 23 (2) 95-111.
- Franken A & Thomsett H (2013) When It Takes a Network: Creating Strategy and Agility through Wargaming, California Management Review, 55 (3) 107-133.
- Franken A (2012) Gaining Through Gaming, Defence Management Journal (56) 20-20.
- Franken A (2012) Wargaming: A Campaign Planning Approach for Modern Security Environments, Defence Global (Aug) 98-99.
- Franken & A (2011) In command but out of control, Management Focus (Cranfield), Autumn 2011 (31) 10-11.
- Daniel E, Ward J & Franken A (2011) Doing the right projects: project portfolio management in tough times, Financial Management -London- (Sep) 51-52.
- Daniel E, Ward J & Franken A (2011) Project portfolio management in turbulent times , Research Executive Summary Series, 7 (2).
- Franken A, Paton C & Rogers S (2010) How the UK's Royal Marines Plan in the Face of Uncertainty, Harvard Business Review (November).
- Franken A, Edwards C & Lambert R (2009) Executing Strategic Change: Understanding the Critical Management Elements that lead to Success, California Management Review, 51 (3) 49-73.
- Braganza A & Franken A (2007) SOX, compliance and power relationships, Communications of the ACM, 50 (9) 97-102.
- Franken A (2007) OPINION: Throwing away the comfort blanket, Janes Defence Weekly -International Edition- (Oct).
- Franken Arnoud & Braganza Ashley (2006) Organisational forms and knowledge management: one size fits all?, International Journal of Knowledge Management Studies, 1 (1/2) 18-37.
- Franken A (2006) OPINION: Shifting focus, Janes Defence Weekly -International Edition- 21-21.
- Franken A (2006) Defence transformation: The aerospace & defence firms of the future. In: Management of Organisational Change in Aerospace Conference, London.
- Bender R, Spira L, Franken A & Braganza A (2006) The Inner Workings of Audit Committees in the UK: Operationalising Best Practice. In: 9th International Conference on Corporate Governance and Board Leadership, Henley, UK, 3-5 October 2006.
- Franken A (2010) Organizational change, culture and strategic IS/IT led change. In: Strategic information systems management. Grant K, Hackney R, Edgar D (ed.), Cengage Learning, p. 246-272.