- Dates2 January 2020 to 31 July 2020
- SponsorDepartment for Transport
- PartnersEPSRC Supergen Energy Networks Hub, EPSRC DTE Network
Funded by Transport-Technology Research Innovation Grants (T-TRIG) 2019, this project proposes to create a conceptual design of a hybrid and smart charging system using electricity and hydrogen as main energy sources. The A2G charging system will assist in meeting the sustainable transport challenges by providing:
- Off-grid charging for electric aircraft and vehicles,
- Super-fast and hybrid charging,
- CO2 free power generation at charging points,
- Grid ancillary services.
The development of a super-fast and CO2-neutral charging system will support the viable future of electric aircraft, and improve airports’ use of clean energy. The research outcomes will have wider benefits to society, such as reduced carbon emissions to help prevent global warming, and increased public awareness of green air travel.
Find out more about Department of Transport new technology grants.