Contact Spyros Tsentis
Areas of expertise
- Electric and Hybrid Vehicles
- Gas Turbines & Propulsion
- Power Systems & Turbines
- Vehicle Aerodynamics
Spyros received his 5-year diploma (integrated MEng) in 2020 from the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (AUTh), Greece. He conducted his Master's Thesis on the performance analysis of a novel engine concept which utilizes hybrid air-breathing rocket cycle technology, under the supervision of Professor Anestis Kalfas. The corresponding publication was in the 10 most downloaded articles of the Aeronautical Journal for 2021.
Following his graduation, he worked as a Researcher within the "HECARRUS" Project (European Union, Horizon 2020, Research and Innovation Programme "Clean Sky 2") at the Laboratory of Fluid Mechanics and Turbomachinery (AUTh). His primary role within the project included the conceptual design and analysis of the Thermal Management System (TMS) of a small commuter aircraft utilizing hybrid-electric propulsion architectures, among others.
Spyros is a member of the ''AeroEngineS'' multi-platform application development team (available as web, android and iOS app). While conducting research in Greece, he programmed and developed 2 stand-alone templates focused on the performance simulation of a novel hybrid air-breathing rocket-cycle engine as well as a ramjet engine, thus widening the existing range of the application into the supersonic and hypersonic propulsion regimes. Following, he supervised the development of another template, able to simulate the performance of a Turbine-Based-Combined-Cycle (TBCC) engine.
Spyros has already co-supervised three M.Eng. students to completion, under the leading supervision of Professor Anestis Kalfas, at the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, where he is also delivering guest lectures on high-speed propulsion systems.
Currently, Spyros is undertaking his PhD on Aft-body Aerodynamics of Novel Propulsion Architectures within the Cranfield Air & Space Propulsion Institute, under the supervision of Professor Vassilios Pachidis, Professor Simon Prince and Dr Ioannis Goulos.
Articles In Journals
- Tsentis S, Goulos I, Prince S, Pachidis V & Zmijanovic V (2023) Propulsion aerodynamics for a novel high-speed exhaust system, Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, Available online 13 September 2023 Article No. GTP-23-1339.
- Gkoutzamanis VG, Tsentis SE, Valsamis Mylonas OS, Kalfas AI, Kyprianidis KG, Tsirikoglou P, Sielemann M, (2022) Thermal management system considerations for a hybrid-electric commuter aircraft, Journal of Thermophysics and Heat Transfer, Available online 17 March 2022.
- Tsentis S, Gkoutzamanis V, Gaitanis A & Kalfas A (2021) Multi-platform app-embedded model for hybrid air-breathing rocket-cycle engine in hypersonic atmospheric ascent, The Aeronautical Journal, 125 (1291) 1631-1653.
- Tsentis S, Goulos I, Prince S, Pachidis V & Zmijanovic V (2023) Propulsion aerodynamics for a novel high-speed exhaust system. In: ASME Turbo Expo 2023: Turbomachinery Technical Conference and Exposition, Boston, 26-30 June 2023.
- Tsentis SE, Gkoutzamanis VG, Gaitanis AD & Kalfas AI (2021) Multi-platform app-embedded model for hybrid air-breathing rocket-cycle engine in hypersonic atmospheric ascent. In: ISABE 2022, Ottawa, 25-30 September 2022.