Contact Richard Fisher
Areas of expertise
- Environmental Defence
- Waste Management and Resource Efficiency
After ten years in local government and a short spell working in the defence industry on waste management issues, Richard moved into academia as an environment in which to focus on his interests and complement his PhD studies.
His previous work and study has focused upon waste, pollution and the environment. His BSc and PGCert are in this area, along with a number of vocational qualifications. He also holds a Diploma in Occupational Safety and Health.
As a Research Fellow in Global Defence Acquisition, Richard's research areas are wide in scope, including:
- Understanding and interpreting the different structures, mechanisms and relationships across the defence industry and the inter-relationships across industries and organisations.
- Understanding the role of defence acquisition in its widest context and how it add strategic value.
- Investigating the value of history to defence acquisition studies and military technology development.
- Identifying the value of the post-disposal elements of the product life-cycle, specifically the role of the military surplus industry.
Specific projects include work for:
- Defence Solutions Centre, United Kingdom.
- Development, Concepts and Doctrine Centre, Ministry of Defence, United Kingdom.
- Landfill Working Group, International Solid Waste Association, Austria.
- MAN (Midlands Assembly Network) Group, United Kingdom.
Articles In Journals
- Fisher RE & Willis R (2019) One million rounds fired in 12 hours? An analysis of the account of six guns of the 100th Brigade Machine Gun Company at High Wood in August 1916, First World War Studies.
- Young S, Antill PD & Fisher R (2016) The fall-out from Brexit, Defence Procurement International (Winter 2016/2017) 8-13.
- Powell-Turner J, Antill P & Fisher R (2016) The United Kingdom Ministry of Defence and the European Union's electrical and electronic equipment directives, Resources Policy, 49 (September) 422-432.
- Fisher R (2019) The logistics of machine gunnery: Examining the support requirements for a small element of the overall battle.. In: Preparing for Battle, University of Leeds, 20-21 June 2019.
- Fisher R (2017) Defining the defence industry using an ecological system and the application of ecological taxonomy. In: 12th Defence and Security Economics Workshop, Carleton University, Ottawa, 2-3 November 2017.
- Fisher R Landfill Mining - ISWA Key Issue Paper. In: ISWA World Congress, Vienna, 8 October 2013.
- Fisher R (2019) History of the Small Arms School Corps 1853-2017. Warwick, UK: Helion & Company.
- Fisher R (2018) Chapter 16: A look to the future. In: Defence Logistics, Kogan Page, p. 357-362.
- Fisher R (2018) Introduction. In: Defence Logistics, Kogan Page, p. 1-7.