Contact Professor Sam Tothill
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 754842
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Areas of expertise
- Biomedical Engineering
- Biosensors & Diagnostics
- Drug Discovery & Development
- Food Safety
- Smart Materials
Professor Tothill has a PhD in Analytical Biochemistry from Cranfield University, where she conducted original research in enzyme catalysis/ discovery and their application in biotechnology and diagnostics. She has an MSc in Microbial Biochemistry and was awarded the top student award for her BSc degree. She holds many visiting professor positions in Europe and China and has served as Academic Programme Director, Deputy Education Director, Associate Dean for the Faculty of Medicine and Biosciences, Director for the Sensors for Water Interest Group and Head of Cranfield Biotechnology Centre. Professor Tothill sits on several editorial boards for international scientific Journals and scientific committees and delivers several keynotes and invited talks each year at major international and European conferences and has been awarded a number of prizes for her research.
Professor of Bio-Nano Sensors, Head of the Bio-Nano Sensors Group. Professor Sam Tothill’s current interests centre on the development of biosensors and diagnostics devices, with research covering the Health, foods and environmental sectors.
Prof Tothill research is focused on signifying the analytical advantages of interfacing inorganic transducer surfaces and biological/biomimics/synthetic species at the micro and nano level. This has led to the fabrication of a range of electrochemical, micro-electromechanical and optical sensor platforms and Lab-on-a-Chip devices for disease prevention and detection. The application of nanotechnology in the design and manufacturing of novel sensing system and Nano- receptor molecules such as molecular imprinting polymers (NanoMIPs) and peptides is her current research interest. Her work cover analysis of microbial contaminants and pathogen's (bacteria, viruses, fungi) and their toxins such as mycotoxins, cyanobacterial toxins and endotoxins, disease biomarkers (eg. cancer, cardiovascular, infectious disease and others) for point-of-care testing and diagnosis. She also work on the detection of heavy metals, drugs, allergens and chemical contaminants in food, the environment and biological fluids.
ClientsProfessor Tothill’s expertise has been explored with a range of business clients nationally and internationally. Current and recent research has been supported by BBSRC, DEFRA, Oxoid Ltd, Unipath, BRE, EA, MIRO, WRAP, the Institute for Medical Research and MARDI (Malaysia), Tupperware (USA), DuPont Ltd. (UK), Sierra Sensors (Germany), Philips Ltd. (UK), Innovate UK, Unilever, the European Commission (FP5, 6 &7) and collaborative research with NHS partner Hospitals (Bedford and Gloucester).
Articles In Journals
- Ashley J, Piekarska M, Segers C, Trinh L, Rodgers T, Willey R & Tothill IE (2017) An SPR based sensor for allergens detection, Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 88 (February) 109-113.
- Masdor NA, Altintas Z & Tothill IE (2017) Surface plasmon pesonance immunosensor for the detection of campylobacter jejuni, Chemosensors, 5 (2) Article No. 16.
- Trinh L, Willey AR, Martin PJ, Ashley J, Tothill IE & Rodgers TL (2017) Rate-based approach to cleaning-in-place, Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, 56 (23) 6695-6702.
- Hemben A, Ashley J & Tothill IE (2017) Development of an immunosensor for PfHRP 2 as a biomarker for Malaria detection, Biosensors, 7 (3) Article No. 28 1-14.
- Dudeney R, Newman JD, Davis F, Setford SJ & Tothill IE (2017) Microband sensor for As (III) analysis: reduced matrix interference, Electroanalysis, 29 (10) 2332-2339.
- Masdor NA, Altintas Z & Tothill IE (2016) Sensitive detection of Campylobacter jejuni using nanoparticles enhanced QCM sensor, Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 78 328-336.
- Altintas Z, France B, Ortiz J & Tothill I (2016) Computationally modelled receptors for drug monitoring using an optical based biomimetic SPR sensor, Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, 224 726-737.
- Pawula M, Altintas Z & Tothill IE (2016) SPR detection of cardiac troponin T for acute myocardial infarction, Talanta, 146 823-830.
- Altintas Z, Chianella I, Da Ponte G, Paulussen S, Gaeta S & Tothill IE (2016) Development of functionalized nanostructured polymeric membranes for water purification, Chemical Engineering Journal, 300 (September) 358-366.
- Altintas Z, Abdin MJ, Tothill AM, Karim K & Tothill IE (2016) Ultrasensitive detection of endotoxins using computationally designed nanoMIPs, Analytica Chimica Acta, 935 (September) 239-248.
- Nna EO, Tothill S & Bailey T (2016) Allelic variants of KLK2 gene predict presence of prostate cancer at biopsy, Journal of Cancer Diagnosis, 1 Article No. 105.
- Ashley J, Shukor Y & Tothill IE (2016) The use of differential scanning fluorimetry in the rational design of plastic antibodies for protein targets, The Analyst, 141 (23) 6463-6470.
- Abdin MJ, Altintas Z & Tothill IE (2015) In silico designed nanoMIP based optical sensor for endotoxins monitoring, Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 67 177-183.
- Altintas Z, Guerreiro A, Piletsky SA & Tothill IE (2015) NanoMIP based optical sensor for pharmaceuticals monitoring, Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, 213 305-313.
- Zeynep Altintas and Ibtisam E. Tothill (2015) Molecular biosensors: promising new tools for early detection of cancer, Nanobiosensors in Disease Diagnosis, 4 1-10.
- Altintas Z, Pocock J, Thompson K-A & Tothill IE (2015) Comparative investigations for adenovirus recognition and quantification: plastic or natural antibodies?, Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 74 996-1004.
- Altintas Z, Gittens M, Guerreiro A, Thompson K-A, Walker J, Piletsky S & Tothill IE (2015) Detection of waterborne viruses using high affinity molecularly imprinted polymers, Analytical Chemistry, 87 (13) 6801-6807.
- Altintas Z, Gittens M, Pocock J & Tothill IE (2015) Biosensors for waterborne viruses: Detection and removal, Biochimie, 115 144-154.
- Altintas Z, Fakanya WM & Tothill IE (2014) Cardiovascular disease detection using bio-sensing techniques, Talanta, 128 177-186.
- Fakanya WM & Tothill IE (2014) Detection of the inflammation biomarker C-reactive protein in serum samples: Towards an optimal biosensor formula, Biosensors, 4 (4) 340-357.
- Altintas Z & Tothill IE (2013) Biomarkers and biosensors for the early diagnosis of lung cancer, Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, 188 988-998.
- Salam F, Uludag Y & Tothill IE (2013) Real-time and sensitive detection of Salmonella Typhimurium using an automated quartz crystal microbalance (QCM) instrument with nanoparticles amplification., Talanta, 115 761-7.
- Heurich M, Altintas Z & Tothill IE (2013) Computational Design of Peptide Ligands for Ochratoxin A, Toxins, 5 (6) 1202-1218.
- Altintas Z, Uludag Y, Gurbuz Y & Tothill I (2012) Development of surface chemistry for surface plasmon resonance based sensors for the detection of proteins and DNA molecules, Analytica Chimica Acta, 712 138-144.
- Baskeyfield DEH, Davis F, Magan N & Tothill IE (2012) A membrane-based ELISA assay for the herbicide Isoproturon in soil samples, Analytical Letters, 45 (1) 99-109.
- Altintas Z & Tothill IE (2012) DNA-based biosensor platforms for the detection of TP53 mutation, Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, 169 188-194.
- Uludag Y & Tothill IE (2012) Cancer biomarker detection in serum samples using surface plasmon resonance and quartz crystal microbalance sensors with nanoparticle signal amplification, Analytical Chemistry, 84 (14) 5898-5904.
- Lotierzo M, Abuknesha R, Davis F & Tothill IE (2012) A Membrane-Based ELISA Assay and Electrochemical Immunosensor for Microcystin-LR in Water Samples, Environmental Science and Technology, 46 (10) 5504-5510.
- Baskeyfield DEH, Davis F, Magan N & Tothill IE (2011) A membrane-based immunosensor for the analysis of the herbicide isoproturon, Analytica Chimica Acta, 699 (2) 223-231.
- Altintas Z, Uludag Y, Gurbuz Y & Tothill IE (2011) Surface plasmon resonance based immunosensor for the detection of the cancer biomarker carcinoembryonic antigen, Talanta, 86 377-383.
- Tothill IE (2011) Biosensors and nanomaterials and their application for mycotoxin determination, World Mycotoxin Journal, 4 (4) 361-374.
- Noh MFM & Tothill IE (2011) Determination of lead(II), cadmium(II) and copper(II) in waste-water and soil extracts on mercury film screen-printed carbon electrodes sensor, Sains Malaysiana, 40 (10) 1153-1163.
- Heurich M, Kadir MKA & Tothill IE (2011) An electrochemical sensor based on carboxymethylated dextran modified gold surface for ochratoxin A analysis, Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, 156 (1) 162-168.
- Uludag Y & Tothill IE (2010) Development of a sensitive detection method of cancer biomarkers in human serum (75%) using a quartz crystal microbalance sensor and nanoparticles amplification system, Talanta, 82 (1) 277-282.
- Nna E, Tothill IE & Bailey T (2010) Endogenous control genes in prostate cells: evaluation of gene expression using ‘real-time' quantitative polymerase chain reaction, Medical Principles and Practice, 19 (6) 433-439.
- Mustafa MK, Nabok A, Parkinson D, Tothill IE, Salam F & Tsargorodskaya A (2010) Detection of β-amyloid peptide (1-16) and amyloid precursor protein (APP770) using spectroscopic ellipsometry and QCM techniques: a step forward towards Alzheimers disease diagnostics, Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 26 (4) 1332-1336.
- Kadir MKA & Tothill IE (2010) Development of an electrochemical immunosensor for fumonisins detection in foods, Toxins, 2 (4) 382-398.
- McMahon V, Garg A, Aldred D, Hobbs G, Smith R & Tothill IE (2009) Evaluation of the potential of applying composting/bioremediation techniques to wastes generated within the construction industry, Waste Management, 29 (1) 186-196.
- Ansari F, Grigoriev P, Libor S, Tothill IE & Ramsden JJ (2009) DBT degradation enhancement by decorating Rhodococcus erythropolis IGST8 with magnetic Fe3O4 nanoparticles, Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 102 (5) 1505-1512.
- Tothill IE (2009) Biosensors for cancer markers diagnosis, Seminars in Cell & Developmental Biology, Seminars in Cell and Developmental Biology, 20 (1) 55-62.
- Mcmahon V, Garg A, Aldred DCN, Hobbs G, Smith R & Tothill IE (2009) Evaluation of the potential of applying composting/bioremediation techniques to waste materials generated within the construction industry, Waste Management, 186-189 (1) 29-196.
- Parker CO, Lanyon YH, Manning M, Arrigan DWM & Tothill IE (2009) Electrochemical immunochip sensor for Aflatoxin M-1 detection, Analytical Chemistry, 81 (13) 5291-5298.
- Salam F & Tothill IE (2009) Detection of Salmonella typhimurium using an electrochemical immunosensor., Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 24 (8) 2630-2636.
- Parker C & Tothill IE (2009) Development of an electrochemical immunosensor for aflatoxin M(1) in milk with focus on matrix interference, Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 24 (8) 2452-2457.
- Parker Charlie O & Tothill Ibtisam E (2009) Development of an electrochemical immunosensor for aflatoxin M1 in milk with focus on matrix interference., Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 24 (8) 2452-2457.
- Mcmahon V, Garg A, Aldred DCN, Hobbs G, Smith R & Tothill IE (2008) Composting and bioremediation process evaluation of wood waste materials generated from the construction and demolition industry, Chemosphere, 71 (9) 1617-1628.
- Kadara RO & Tothill IE (2008) Development of disposable bulk-modified screen-printed electrode based on bismuth oxide for stripping chronopotentiometric analysis of lead (ii) and cadmium (ii) in soil and water samples, Analytica Chimica Acta, 623 (1) 76-81.
- Md Noh MF & Tothill IE (2008) Development and characterisation of disposable gold electrodes, and their use for lead(II) analysis, Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, 386 (7-8) 2095-2106.
- Ansari F, Prayuenyong P & Tothill Ibtisam E (2007) Biodesulfurization of dibenzothiophene by Shewanella putrefaciens NCIMB 8768, Journal of Biological Physics and Chemistry, 7 (2) 75-78.
- Lanyon YH, Tothill IE & Mascini M (2007) An Amperometric Bacterial Biosensor Based on Gold Screen‐Printed Electrodes for the Detection of Benzene, Analytical Letters, 39 (8) 1669-1681.
- Butler R, Lytton L, Godley A, Tothill IE & Cartmell E (2005) Bromate analysis in groundwater and wastewater samples, Journal of Environmental Monitoring, 7 (10) 999-1006.
- Kadara RO & Tothill IE (2005) Resolving the copper interference effect on the stripping chronopotentiometric response of lead (II) obtained at bismuth film screen-printed electrode, Talanta, 66 (5) 1089-1093.
- Mohd FMN, Kadara RO & Tothill IE (2005) Development of cysteine modified screen-printed electrode for the chronopotentiometric stripping analysis of Cadium (II) in Wastewater and Soils extract, Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, 382 1175-1186.
- Lanyon YH, Marrazza G, Tothill IE & Mascini M (2005) Benzene analysis in workplace air using an FIA-based bacterial biosensor, Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 20 (10) 2080-2096.
- Logrieco A, Arrigan DWM, Brengel-Pesce K, Siciliano P & Tothill IE (2005) Microsystems technology solutions for rapid detection of toxigenic fungi and mycotoxins, Food Additives and Contaminants, 22 (4) 335-344.
- Logrieco A, Arrigan DWM, Brengel-Pesce K, Siciliano P & Tothill IE (2005) DNA arrays, electronic noses and tongues, biosensors and receptors for rapid detection of toxigenic fungi and mycotoxins: A review, Food Additives and Contaminants, 22 (4) 335-344.
- Lanyon Y & Tothill IE (2004) Flow injection analysis of benzene using an amperometric bacterial biosensor, Analytical Letters, 37 (8) 1515-1528.
- Bello Rodriguez B, Bolbot JA & Tothill IE (2004) Application of unrease-glutamic dehydrogenase biosenor to heavy metals screening in water and soil samples from Aznalcollar mine, Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, 380 284-292.
- Bello Rodriguez B, Bolbot JA & Tothill IE (2004) Amperometric analysis of the effect of heavy metals on the activity of isocitric dehydrogenase, Analytical Letters, 37 (3) 415-433.
- Beelo-Rodriguez B, Bolbot JA & Tothill IE (2004) Development of urease and glutamic dehydrogenase amperometric assay for heavy metals screening in polluted samples, Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 19 (10) 1157-1167.
- Lotierzo M, Henry O Y F, Piletsky Sergey A, Tothill Ibtisam E, Cullen D, Kania M, Hock B & Turner Anthony P F (2004) Surface plasmon resonance sensor for domoic acid based on grafted imprinted polymer, Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 20 (2) 145-152.
- Kadara RO, Newman JD & Tothill IE (2003) Stripping chronopotentiometric detection of copper using screen-printed three-electrode system - application to acetic- acid bioavailable fraction from soil samples, Analytica Chimica Acta, 493 (1) 95-104.
- Chianella I, Piletsky SA, Tothill IE, Chen B & Turner APF (2003) MIP-based solid phase extraction cartridges combined with MIP- based sensors for the detection of microcystin-LR, Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 18 (2-3) 119-127.
- Giakoumaki E, Minunni M, Tombelli S, Tothill IE, Mascini M, Bogani P & Buiatti M (2003) Combination of Amplification and Post-Amplification Strategies to Improve Optical DNA Sensing, Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 19 (4) 337-344.
- Chianella I, Piletsky SA, Tothill IE, Chen B & Turner APF (2003) Combination of solid phase extraction cartridges and MIP-based sensor for detection of microcystin-LR, Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 1023 297-303.
- Sarkar P, Pal PS, Ghosh D, Setford SJ & Tothill IE (2002) Amperometric biosensors for detection of the prostate cancer marker (PSA), International Journal of Pharmaceutics, 238 (1-2) 1-9.
- Chianella I, Lotierzo M, Piletsky SA, Tothill IE, Chen BN, Karim K & Turner APF (2002) Rational design of a polymer specific for microcystin-LR using a computational approach, Analytical Chemistry, 74 (6) 1288-1293.
- Arif M, Setford SJ, Burton KS & Tothill IE (2002) L-malic acid biosensor for field-based evaluation of apple, potato and tomato horticultural produce, The Analyst, 127 (1) 104-108.
- Tothill IE (2001) Biosensors Developments and potential applications in the agricultural diagnosis sector, Computers and Electronics in Agriculture, 30 (1-3) 205-218.
- Sarkar P, Tothill IE, Setford SJ & Turner APF (1999) Screen-printed amperometric biosensors for the rapid measurement of L- and D-amino acids, The Analyst, 124 (6) 865-870.
- Pérez FG, Mascini M, Tothill IE & Turner APF (1998) Immunomagnetic separation with mediated flow injection analysis amperometric detection of viable Escherichia coli O157, Analytical Chemistry, 70 (11) 2380-2386.
- Tothill IE, Newman JD, White SF & Turner APF (1997) Monitoring of the glucose concentration during microbial fermentation using a novel mass-producible biosensor suitable for on-line use, Enzyme and Microbial Technology, 20 (8) 590-596.
- Stephens SK, Tothill IE, Warner PJ & Turner APF (1997) Detection of silage effluent pollution in river water using biosensors, Water Research, 31 (1) 41-48.
- Hobson NS, Tothill I & Turner APF (1996) Microbial detection, Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 11 (5) 455-477.
- White SF, Tothill IE, Newman JD & Turner APF (1996) Development of a mass-producible glucose biosensor and flow-injection analysis system suitable for on-line monitoring during fermentations, Analytica Chimica Acta, 321 (2-3) 165-172.
- Turner APF, Newman JD, White SF & Tothill IE (1996) New instrumentation for on-line bioprocess monitoring incorporating amperometric biosensors, Journal of Automatic Chemistry, 18 (3).
- Tothill IE & Turner APF (1996) Developments in bioassay methods for toxicity testing in water treatment, Trends in Analytical Chemistry, 15 (5) 178-188.
- Newman JD, White SF, Tothill IE & Turner APF (1995) Catalytic materials, membranes, and fabrication technologies suitable for the construction of amperometric biosensors, Analytical Chemistry, 67 (24) 4594-4599.
- Tothill IE, Best DJ & Seal KJ (1993) Studies on the inhibitory effect of paint raw materials on cellulolytic enzymes present in waterborne paint, International Biodeterioration and Biodegradation, 32 (4) 233-242.
- Tothill IE & Seal KJ (1993) Biodeterioration of waterborne paint cellulose thickeners, International Biodeterioration and Biodegradation, 31 (4) 241-254.
- Tothill IE, Best DJ & Seal KJ (1993) Detection of cellulolytic enzymes in waterborne paint, International Biodeterioration and Biodegradation, 31 (2) 115-128.
- Tothill IE, Harris D & Magan N (1992) The relationship between fungal growth and ergosterol content of wheat grain, Mycological Research, 96 965-970.
- Tothill IE, Best DJ & Seal KJ (1988) The isolation of Graphium putredinis from a spoilt emulsion paint and the characterisation of its cellulase complex, International Biodeterioration, 24 (4-5) 359-365.
- Nna E, Tothill IE & Bailey TA Endogenous control genes in prostate cells: evaluation of gene expression using "real-time" quantitative polymerase chain reaction, Medical Principles and Practice.
- Godley Andrew R, Smith Richard & Tothill Ibtisam E (2004) Is pre-biological treatment of organic wastes the best option for recycling organic matter to soil?. In: 9th European Biosolids and Organic Residuals Conference, 2004, Wakefield, 14 November 2004.
- Tothill IE, Kadara R, Bello Rodriguez B, Arrigan D, Valiente M, Kaifer MJ & Pottecher G (2003) Development of chemical sensors and biosensors for monitoring of toxic heavy metals in contaminated soil samples. In: 2nd SENSPOL Workshop: Response to new pollution challenges, London, 6 June 2002.
- Arrigan DWM, Hill M, Tothill I, Valiente M, Kaifer MJ & Pottecher G (2001) Development of improved detection systems for monitoring of toxic heavy metals in contaminated soils. In: 1st SENSPOL Workshop: Sensing technologies for contaminated sites and groundwater, Madrid, 9 May 2001.
- Altintas Z & Tothill IE (2016) Health care: nanomaterial applications in healthcare diagnostics. In: Concise encyclopedia of nanotechnology. Kharisov BI, Kharissova OV, Ortiz-Mendez U (ed.), CRC Press, p. 317-329.
- Fakanya WM, Altintas Z & Tothill IE (2013) Biosensors for the diagnosis of heart disease. In: Biosensors and Their Application in Healthcare. Dilsat Ozkan-Ariksoysal (ed.), Future Science, p. 128-143.
- Tothill IE (2011) Emerging bio-sensing methods for mycotoxin analysis. In: Determining mycotoxins and mycotoxigenic fungi in food and feed. De Saeger S (ed.), Woodhead Publishing, p. 383-408.
- Tothill IE (2009) Advances in the development of toxicity sensors. In: Sensors for Chemical and Biological Applications, Taylor and Francis.
- Tothill IE (2009) Peptides as Molecular Receptors. In: Different Recognition Receptors used in Biosensing, Springer.
- Tothill IE (2006) Microbiological Risk and Anlysis Issues in Water. In: Water Contamination Emergencies: Enhancing Our Response, Royal Society of Chemistry; 1 edition.
- Tothill IE & Magan N (2003) Rapid detection methods for microbial contamination. In: Rapid and on-line instrumentation for food quality assurance, Woodhead Publishing, p. 136-160.
- Tothill IE & Turner APF (2003) Biosensors. In: Encyclopaedia of Food Sciences and Nutrition, Academic Press, p. 489-499.
- Tothill IE (2003) On-line Immunochemical Assays for Contaminants Analysis. In: Rapid and on-line Instrumentation for Food Quality Assurance, Woodhead Publishing Limited.
- Tothill I (eds), (2003) Rapid and on-line instrumentation for food quality assurance, Woodhead Publishing Limited.
- Tothill IE, Piletsky SA, Magan N & Turner APF (2001) New biosensors. In: Instrumentation and sensors for the food industry, Woodhead, Cambridge, p. 760-775.
- Tothill IE & Stevens S (2001) Biological Methods (Chapter 9). In: Analytical Methods for Environmental Monitoring, Pearson Education Limited.