BackgroundPrior to Cranfield, Professor Matthews was awarded a BSc in Behavioural Sciences (Aston University), MSc in Financial Economics (University of Wales), MBA (Warwick University) and a PhD in Development Economics (Glasgow University). Subsequently, Professor Matthews gained two Research Fellowships from NATO, undertaking field work in the United States. He also won a World Bank Robert S McNamara Fellowship to research for one year at the Institute of Development Studies, University of Nairobi. Additionally, Professor Matthews was a Visiting Researcher at the Hoover Institute of War, Revolution and Peace (Stanford University) and also at Capetown University, the National University of Singapore and the Institute of Strategic Studies, Islamabad.
Current activitiesProfessor Matthews is presently lecturing Defence Economics on the Cranfield MBA (Defence). He also lectures on the Economics of Security at the Shrivenham Faculty and in Addis Ababa. Professor Matthews lectures defence economics and the management of defence technology in Singapore and international business in Hong Kong.
ClientsProfessor Matthews is engaged in consultancy work on offset effectiveness for such clients as the UK Ministry of Defence, major European defence manufacturers and foreign offset authorities.
Articles In Journals
- Matthews R & Al-Saadi R (2023) Organisational complexity of the Eurofighter Typhoon collaborative supply chain, Defence and Peace Economics, 34 (2) 228-243.
- Avila A & Matthews R (2022) The Philippine defence-development-disaster security paradigm, Defense and Security Analysis, 38 (3) 269-283.
- Matthews R & Fitriani (2022) When is offset not offset? When it's Australia’s defence policy for industry participation, Defence Review Asia, June 2022.
- Maharani C & Matthews RG (2022) The role of offset in the enduring gestation of Indonesia’s strategic industries, Defence and Peace Economics, Available online 24 April 2022.
- Matthews R & Anicetti J (2021) Death spiral of European offset?, Defense and Security Analysis, 36 (4) 453-454.
- Ayad A, Darby R & Matthews R (2021) Evaluation of ‘learning’ as a main thrust in transferor‐transferee relationships: small satellite technology transfer collaborative projects between developed and developing countries ‐ the case of Algeria, International Journal of Technology Management and Sustainable Development, 20 (2) 107-127.
- Matthews R & Koh C (2021) The decline of South Africa’s defence industry, Defense and Security Analysis, 37 (3) 251-273.
- Matthews R & Anicetti J (2021) Offset in a post-Brexit world, RUSI Journal, 166 (5) 50-62.
- Matthews R (2021) Beijing’s strategic encirclement of Australia, Asia Pacific Defence Reporter, 47 (8) 60-62.
- Matthews R, Ansari I & Watters B (2021) Operational resilience in the business-battle space, The CAPCO Institute Journal of Financial Transformation, 2021 (53) 146-156.
- Ayad A, Matthews R & Vitanov I (2020) Evaluation of knowledge flow from developed to developing countries in small satellite collaborative projects: the case of Algeria, Space Policy, 51 (February) Article No. 101360.
- Ayad A, Wilkinson E & Matthews R (2019) Systemic experiential learning model for the evaluation of technological learning: the case of small satellite capability-building in Algeria, International Journal of Technology Management and Sustainable Development, 18 (1) 75-100.
- Matthews R & Charles M (2018) The challenge of becoming a defence exporting superpower, Great Britain. Ministry of Defence. Defence Contracts Bulletin, Autumn 2018.
- Matthews R & Yue Z (2018) China’s arms sales to Asia, strategically engaging friend and foe, Defence Review Asia, 12 (2) 26-29.
- Matthews R & Brahem A (2018) Sri Lanka joins China’s string of ‘economic’ pearls, Defence Review Asia, 12 (3) 38-40.
- Li L & Matthews R (2017) “Made in China”: an emerging brand in the global arms market, Defense and Security Analysis, 33 (2) 174-189.
- Matthews R & Ping X (2017) The end game of China’s arms export strategy, East Asia Forum Quarterly (September).
- Fitriani, Suresh L & Matthews R (2017) Asia’s women warriors, Defence Review Asia (May/June) 28-32.
- Matthews R & Turner A (2017) Challenges facing UK defence exporters, Defence Business (17.2) 16-19.
- Fitriani, Cooper RGS & Matthews R (2016) Women in ground close combat, RUSI Journal, 161 (1) 14-24.
- Matthews R & Ansari I (2015) Economic orthodoxy v market pragmatism: a case study of Europe's 'abandonment' of defense offset, Public Finance and Management, 15 (4) 378-404.
- Matthews R & Fitriani (2014) Re-interpreting Japan's Defensive-Defence Posture, Asia Pacific Defence Reporter, 40 (9) 24-26.
- Herrera M & Matthews R (2014) Latin America in step with global defence offset phenomenon, RUSI Journal, 159 (6) 50-57.
- Matthews R & Lozano A (2012) The Mecurial Development of Russia's United Aircraft Corporation, Defense and Security Analysis, 28 (2) 152-162.
- Krasnopolsky P, Matthews R & Di W (2011) Ukraine's Defence Disentanglement from Russia, Defence Studies, 11 (2) 199-210.
- Balakrishnan K & Matthews RG (2009)
Defence Industrialisation through Offsets: A Case Study of Malaysia, Defence and Peace Economics, 20 (4) 341-358.
- Matthews R & Maharani C (2008) Beyond the RMA: Survival Strategies for Small Defence Economies, Connections, VII (2) 67-84.
- Matthews RG (2007) India's Tortuous Road to Defence Industrial Self-Reliance, Defense and Security Analysis, 23 (4).
- Matthews RG (2001) Technology-Sharing in International Aerospace Collaborative Projects: The Case of Eurofighter, International Journal of Aerospace Management, 1 (1) 65-84.
- Matthews RG Self-Reliance Still Ultimate Goal of South Korea's Defence Industry, Asia Pacific Defence Reporter.
- Matthews RG China's Aerospace Development, Asia Pacific Defence Reporter, 28 (6).
- Matthews RG Costing a Bomb, Financial Management -London- 16-19.
- Matthews RG Home Guard, Financial Management -London- 22-23.
- Matthews RG F-35 Acquisition in Singapore's Sights, Asia Pacific Defence Reporter.
- Matthews RG Japan's Security Challenges, Asia Pacific Defence Reporter.
- Matthews R (2019) Chapter 21: drawing threads, weaving patterns. In: The political economy of defence, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, p. 476-480.
- Matthews R (2019) Chapter 7: the rise and demise of government-mandated offset policy. In: The political economy of defence, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, p. 148-168.
- Matthews R (eds), (2019) The political economy of defence, Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- Matthews R (2019) Chapter 1: the political economy of defence. In: The political economy of defence, Cambrisge: Cambridge University Press, p. 3-26.
- Matthews R (2019) Chapter 25: Singapore’s defence-industrial ecosystem. In: The economics of the global defence industries, Taylor and Francis.
- Matthews R (2016) Malaysia. In: Security Sector Horizon-Scanning 2016 - Southeast Asia. Dorman AM, O’Brien T, Craig M (ed.), Shrivenham: Cranfield University, p. 112-143.
- Matthews R, Darby R & Cleary LR. (2016) Southeast Asia. In: Security Sector Horizon-Scanning 2016 - Southeast Asia. Dorman AM, O’Brien T, Craig M (ed.), Shrivenham: Cranfield University, p. 1-22.
- Matthews R & Lozano A (2013) ‘India’s Defence Acquisition and Offset Strategy,’. In: India’s Military Modernization: Challenges and Prospects, New Delhi: New Delhi Oxford University Press.
- Matthews R & Zhang Yan N (2009) Small Country Total Defence: A case study of Singapore. In: Defence Procurement and Industrial Policy: A Small Country Perspective, Taylor & Francis (Routledge): SSH Titles, p. 255-271, ed. 1st.
- Matthews R & Maharani C (2009) Iron Triangle Revisited. In: The Modern Defence Industry: Political, Economic, and Technological Issues. Bitzinger R (ed.), Praeger, p. 38-59, ed. 1.
- Matthews R (2008) Defence and the Economy: An Introduction. In: Globalization and Defence in Asia Pacific: Arms across Asia. Till G, Chew E and Ho J (ed.), Routledge, p. 133-147, ed. 1.
- Matthews R (2008) Managing the revolution in military affairs. In: Military Transformation and Strategy, Revolutions in Military Affairs and Small States, Oxon, England: Routledge, p. 44-61, ed. 1.
- Matthews RG (2002) Saudi Arabia: Development through Technology Offsets. In: Arming the South, Palgrave.
- Matthews R (eds), (2001) Managing the revolution in military affairs, New York: Macmillan Press, ed. 2001 edition.
- Matthews R European collaboration in the development of new weapons systems. In: The Emergence of EU Defense Policy: From Innovation to Militarization, Springer.