Contact Professor Philip Longhurst
Areas of expertise
- Biomass and Waste
- Energy and the Environment
- Energy Policy & Regulation
- Environmental Policy
Phil has a PhD in Innovation & Technology Assessment, and a degree in Design and Technology and B.Ed. (Hons). On completion of his doctoral studies hedeveloped a programme of research studies assessing the impact of waste management on air quality and neighbouring communities. He adapted measurement and assessment methods from meteorology and agricultural applications to predict the impact of landfill operations on households. Information from these methods were used to inform operators on options for improvement, advise on the potential impacts and opportunities for the control of operations for planning applications, and assess the potential for new methods of operational control and regulation.
Prior to his research career, Phil completed his initial studies at the London College of Furniture and then worked in the furniture industry and associated trades. He trained as a teacher of Design and Technology gaining sponsorship for the development of demonstrator wind tunnels for use in education, then joined Cranfield University to further develop his research and industry interests.
Professor Longhurst holds the Chair of Environment and Energy Technology and is based in the Energy Theme. His research investigates the way that materials can be recovered or diverted from landfill to improve resource use and reduce environmental pollution. His research contributes to the activity in Bioenergy and has a wide portfolio of projects including; creating wealth from recovering trace metals in contaminated land, nutrient recovery from waste, risk assessment for PAS100 compost for use in agriculture, and risk assessment for PAS110 Anaerobic Digestion (AD) residues in agriculture, developing benchmarking methods for better environmental regulation, establishing opportunities for SMEs to develop AD infrastructure capacity, and systems modelling for waste minimisation and policy appraisal.
His published outputs include research into: the mechanical-biological treatment (MBT) of solid waste; the production and quality of solid recovered fuels (SRF); bioaerosol emissions from in-vessel and open-windrow composting; and the risk assessment of wastes, including animal carcasses; and a systems analysis of disease incursion networks.
He has developed short courses including training for improved biowaste regulation, training for odour control and measurement as well as advised site operators on methods to reduce the impact of operations and evaluated levels of compliance with site emission measurements and dispersion modelling methods.
Phil contributed to HM Treasury’s Infrastructure study by the Engineering Interdependencies Expert Group (EIEG), and provides teaching and research supervision to three teaching themes in: Energy; Environment and Agrifood, as well as supervising doctoral researchers.
Current and previous clients include research councils, government departments, NGOs, and commercial and industrial sponsors including: EPSRC, NERC, ESRC, TSB, DERA Defra, BIS, DECC, Association for London Government, GLA WRAP, Sniffer, Environment Agency, SEPA, UK Water Industry Research WRG, Shanks, Biffa, Viridor, SITA, Grantscape (Shanks First, EB Nationwide Ltd.) Boeing, ADAS, James Hutton Institute, British Sugar, Anglian Water Lafarge, London Remade, MJ Carter Associates, Northumbrian Water, Severn Trent Water, South West Water, Thames Waste Management, Thames Water, United Utilities, and Yorkshire Water.
Articles In Journals
- Lei M, Dong Z, Jiang Y, Longhurst P, Wan X & Zhou G (2019) Reaction mechanism of arsenic capture by a calcium-based sorbent during the combustion of arsenic-contaminated biomass: A pilot-scale experience, Frontiers of Environmental Science and Engineering, 13 (2) Article No. 24.
- Vrancken C, Longhurst P & Wagland S (2019) Deep learning in material recovery: development of method to create training database, Expert Systems with Applications, 125 (July) 268-280.
- Chowdhury S, Kim GH, Bolan N & Longhurst P (2019) A critical review on risk evaluation and hazardous management in carcass burial, Process Safety and Environmental Protection, 123 (March) 272-288.
- Jiang Y, McAdam E, Zhang Y, Heaven S, Banks C & Longhurst P (2019) Ammonia inhibition and toxicity in anaerobic digestion: a critical review, Journal of Water Process Engineering, 32 (December) Article No. 100899.
- Burnley S, Wagland S & Longhurst P (2019) Using life cycle assessment in environmental engineering education, Higher Education Pedagogies, 4 (1) 64-79.
- Longhurst PJ, Tompkins D, Pollard SJT, Hough RL, Chambers B, Gale PG, Tyrrel S, Villa R, Taylor M, Wu S, Sakrabani R, Litterick A, Snary E, Leinster P & Sweet N (2019) Risk assessments for quality-assured, source-segregated composts and anaerobic digestates for a circular bioeconomy in the UK, Environment International, 127 (June) 253-266. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.7862024.v1
- Longhurst P & Kumar V (2018) Recycling of food waste into chemical building blocks, Current Opinion in Green and Sustainable Chemistry, 13 (October) 118-122.
- Jiang Y, Banks CJ, Zhang Y, Heaven S & Longhurst PJ (2018) Quantifying the percentage of methane formation via acetoclastic and syntrophic acetate oxidation pathways in anaerobic digesters waste management, Waste Management, 71 (January) 749-756.
- Longhurst P (2018) Book Review - Sustainable solid waste management, Proceedings of the ICE - Waste and Resource Management, 171 (2) 61-61.
- Douglas P, Tyrrel SF, Kinnersley RP, Whelan M, Longhurst PJ, Hansell AL, Walsh K, Pollard SJT & Drew GH (2017) Predicting Aspergillus fumigatus exposure from composting facilities using a dispersion model: a conditional calibration and validation, International Journal of Hygiene and Environmental Health, 20 (1) 17-28.
- Sotenko M, Coles S, Barker G, Song L, Jiang Y, Longhurst P, Romanova T, Shuvaeva O & Kirwan K (2017) Phytoremediation combined with biorefinery on the example of two agricultural crops grown on Ni soil and degraded by P. chrysosporium, International Journal of Phytoremediation, 19 (11) 965-975.
- Duan L, Chen J, Jiang Y, Li X, Longhurst P & Lei M (2017) Experimental and kinetic study of thermal decomposition behaviour of phytoremediation derived Pteris vittata, Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry, 128 (2) 1207-1216.
- Duan L, Li X, Jiang Y, Lei M, Dong Z & Longhurst P (2017) Arsenic transformation behaviour during thermal decomposition of P. vittata, an arsenic hyperaccumulator, Journal of Analytical and Applied Pyrolysis, 124 (March) 584-591.
- Vrancken C, Longhurst PJ & Wagland ST (2017) Critical review of real-time methods for solid waste characterisation: Informing material recovery and fuel production, Waste Management, 61 (March) 40-57.
- Balampanis D, Coulon F, Simms N, Longhurst P, Pollard S, Fenech C & Villa R (2017) An assessment of different extraction and quantification methods of penta- and hexa-chlorobenzene from SRF fly-ash, Analytical Chemistry Research, 12 (June) 28-33.
- Garnett K, Cooper T, Longhurst P, Jude S & Tyrrel S (2017) A conceptual framework for negotiating public involvement in municipal waste management decision-making in the UK, Waste Management, 66 (August) 210-221.
- Liu B, Papadikis K, Gu S, Fidalgo B, Longhurst P, Li Z & Kolios A (2017) CFD modelling of particle shrinkage in a fluidized bed for biomass fast pyrolysis with quadrature method of moment, Fuel Processing Technology, 164 (September) 51-68.
- Jiang Y, Zhang Y, Banks C, Heaven S & Longhurst P (2017) Investigation of the impact of trace elements on anaerobic volatile fatty acid degradation using a fractional factorial experimental design, Water Research, 125 (November) 458-465.
- Douglas P, Hayes ET, Williams WB, Tyrrel SF, Kinnersley RP, Walsh K, O'Driscoll M, Longhurst PJ, Pollard SJ & Drew GH (2017) Use of dispersion modelling for Environmental Impact Assessment of biological air pollution from composting: progress, problems and prospects, Waste Management, 70 (December) 22-29.
- Coulon F, Jones K, Li H, Hu Q, Gao J, Li F, Chen M, Zhu YG, Liu R, Liu M, Canning K, Harries N, Bardos P, Nathanail P, Sweeney R, Middleton D, Charnley M, Randall J, Richell M, Howard T, Martin I, Spooner S, Weeks J, Cave M, Yu F, Zhang F, Jiang Y, Longhurst P, Prpich G, Bewley R, Abra J & Pollard S. (2016) China’s soil and groundwater management challenges: lessons from the UK’s experience and opportunities for China, Environment International, 91 (May) 196-200.
- Ben-Iwo J, Manovic V & Longhurst P (2016) Biomass resources and biofuels potential for the production of transportation fuels in Nigeria, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 63 (September) 172-192.
- Douglas P, Tyrrel SF, Kinnersley RP, Whelan M, Longhurst PJ, Walsh K, Pollard SJ & Drew GH (2016) Sensitivity of predicted bioaerosol exposure from open windrow composting facilities to ADMS dispersion model parameters, Journal of Environmental Management, 184 (2) 448-455.
- Chatterton J, Parsons D, Nicholls J, Longhurst P, Bernon M, Palmer A, Brennan F, Kolios A, Wilson I, Ishiyama E, Clements-Croome D, Elmualim A, Darby H, Yearley T & Davies G (2015) Carbon brainprint - An estimate of the intellectual contribution of research institutions to reducing greenhouse gas emissions, Process Safety and Environmental Protection, 96 74-81.
- Jiang Y, Lei L, Duan L & Longhurst P (2015) Integrating phytoremediation with biomass valorisation and critical element recovery: A UK contaminated land perspective, Biomass and Bioenergy, 83 328-339.
- Peddireddy S, Longhurst PJ & Wagland ST (2015) Characterising the composition of waste-derived fuels using a novel image analysis tool, Waste Management, 40 9-13.
- Jiang Y, Ameh A, Lei M, Duan L & Longhurst P (2015) Solid–gaseous phase transformation of elemental contaminants during the gasification of biomass, Science of the Total Environment, 563-564 (September) 724-730.
- Phillips KJ, Longhurst PJ & Wagland ST (2014) Assessing the perception and reality of arguments against thermal waste treatment plants in terms of property prices, Waste Management, 34 (1) 219-225.
- Tamer Vestlund A, Al-Ashaab R, Tyrrel SF, Longhurst PJ, Pollard SJ & Drew GH (2014) Morphological classification of bioaerosols from composting using scanning electron microscopy, Waste Management, 34 (7) 1101-1108.
- Delgado J, Pollard S, Snary E, Black E, Prpich G & Longhurst P (2013) A systems approach to the policy-level risk assessment of exotic animal diseases: network model and application to classical swine fever., Risk Analysis, 33 (8) 1454-1472.
- Velis CA, Wagland S, Longhurst P, Robson B, Sinfield K, Wise S & Pollard S (2013) Solid Recovered Fuel: Materials Flow Analysis and Fuel Property Development during the Mechanical Processing of Biodried Waste., Environmental Science and Technology, 47 (6) 2957-2965.
- Velis CA, Wagland S, Longhurst P, Robson B, Sinfield K, Wise S & Pollard S (2013) Response to comment on "solid recovered fuel: Materials flow analysis and fuel property development during the mechanical processing of biodried waste", Environmental Science and Technology, 47 (24) 14535-14536.
- Wagland ST, Dudley R, Naftaly M & Longhurst PJ (2013) Determination of renewable energy yield from mixed waste material from the use of novel image analysis methods, Waste Management, 33 (11) 2449-2456.
- Dewberry E, Cook M, Angus A, Gottberg A & Longhurst P (2013) Critical reflections on designing product service systems, The Design Journal, 16 (4) 408-430.
- Wagland ST, Veltre F & Longhurst PJ (2012) Development of an image-based analysis method to determine the physical composition of a mixed waste material, Waste Management, 32 (2) 245-248.
- Velis C, Wagland S, Longhurst P, Robson B, Sinfield K, Wise S & Pollard S (2012) Solid Recovered Fuel: Influence of Waste Stream Composition and Processing on Chlorine Content and Fuel Quality., Environmental Science and Technology, 46 (3) 1923-1931.
- Stevens PA, Batty W, Longhurst PJ & Drew GH (2012) A critical review of classiﬁcation of organisations in relation to the voluntary implementation of environmental management systems, Journal of Environmental Management, 113 206-212.
- Cook M, Gottberg A, Angus A & Longhurst P (2012) Receptivity to the production of product service systems in the UK construction and manufacturing sectors: A comparative analysis, Journal of Cleaner Production, 32 61-70.
- Stevens PA, Batty WJ, Longhurst PJ & Drew GH (2012) A critical review of classification of organisations in relation to the voluntary implementation of environmental management systems, Journal of Environmental Management, 113 206-212.
- Black I, Seaton R, Chackiath S, Wagland ST, Pollard SJT & Longhurst PJ (2011) The 'bankability' of the new waste technologies: an econometric method for risk sharing in private finance waste contracts, Environmental Technology, 32 (15) 1699-1707.
- Wu S & Longhurst P (2011) Optimising age-replacement and extended non-renewing warranty policies in lifecycle costing, International Journal of Production Economics, 130 (2) 262-267.
- Pankhurst LJ, Deacon LJ, Liu J, Drew GH, Hayes ET, Jackson S, Longhurst PJ, Longhurst JW, Pollard SJ & Tyrrel SF (2011) Spatial variations in airborne microorganism and endotoxin concentrations at green waste composting facilities., International Journal of Hygiene and Environmental Health, 214 (5) 376-383.
- Black I, Seaton R, Chackiath S, Wagland ST, Pollard SJT & Longhurst PJ
The 'bankability' of the new waste technologies: an econometric method for risk sharing in private finance waste contracts, Environmental Technology, 32 (15) 1699-1707.
- Wagland ST, Kilgallon P, Coveney R, Garg A, Smith R, Longhurst PJ, Pollard SJ & Simms N (2011) Comparison of coal/solid recovered fuel (SRF) with coal/refuse derived fuel (RDF) in a fluidised bed reactor., Waste Management, 31 (6) 1176-1183.
- Liu JA, Pankhurst LJ, Deacon LJ, Abate W, Hayes ET, Drew GH, Longhurst PJ, Pollard S, Longhurst J, Tyrrel SF & Jackson SK (2011) Evaluation of inflammatory effects of airborne endotoxin emitted from composting sources, Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, 30 (3) 602-606.
- Schiller F, Angus A, Billington S, Herben M, Raffield T, Young PJ, Longhurst PJ & Pollard SJT (2010) Hidden flows and waste processing - an analysis of illustrative futures, Environmental Technology, 31 (14) 1507-1516.
- Velis CA, Longhurst PJ, Drew GH, Smith R & Pollard SJT (2010) Production and quality assurance of solid recovered fuels using Mechanical-Biological Treatment (MBT) of waste: a comprehensive assessment, Critical Reviews in Environmental Science and Technology, 40 (12) 979-1105.
- Sedmak M & Longhurst P (2010) Methodological choices in enterprise systems research, Business Process Management Journal, 16 (1) 76-92.
- Gottberg A, Longhurst PJ & Cook MB (2010) Exploring the potential of Product Service Systems to achieve household waste prevention on new housing developments in the UK, Waste Management and Research, 28 (3) 228-235.
- Balampanis DE, Pollard SJT, Simms N, Longhurst P, Coulon F & Villa R (2010) Residues characterisation from the fluidised bed combustion of East London's solid recovered fuel, Waste Management, 30 (7) 1318-1324.
- Severin M, Velis CA, Longhurst PJ & Pollard SJT (2010) The biogenic content of process streams from mechanical-biological treatment plants producing solid recovered fuel. Do the manual sorting and selective dissolution determination methods correlate?, Waste Management, 30 (7) 1171-1182.
- Delgado J, Longhurst P, Hickman GAW, Gauntlett DM, Howson SF, Irving P, Hart A & Pollard SJT (2010) Intervention strategies for carcass disposal: pareto analysis of exposures for exotic disease outbreaks, Environmental Science and Technology, 44 (12) 4416-4425.
- Deacon LJ, Pankhurst LJ, Drew GH, Hayes ET, Jackson S, Longhurst PJ, Longhurst JWS, Liu J, Pollard SJT & Tyrrel SF (2009) Particle size distribution of airborne Aspergillus fumigatus spores emitted from compost using membrane-filtration., Atmospheric Environment, 43 (35) 5698-5701.
- Velis CA, Longhurst PJ, Drew GH, Smith R & Pollard SJT (2009) Biodrying for mechanical-biological treatment of wastes: A review of process science and engineering, Bioresource Technology, 100 (11) 2747-2761.
- Garg A, Smith R, Hill D, Longhurst PJ, Pollard SJT & Simms NJ (2009) An integrated appraisal of energy recovery options in the United Kingdom using solid recovered fuel derived from municipal solid waste, Waste Management, 29 (8) 2289-2297.
- Deacon L, Pankhurst L, Liu J, Drew GH, Hayes ET, Jackson S, Longhurst J, Longhurst P, Pollard S & Tyrrel S (2009) Endotoxin emissions from commercial composting activities, Environmental Health, 8 (1).
- Pankhurst LJ, Deacon LJ, Liu J, Drew GH, Hayes ET, Jackson S, Longhurst PJ, Longhurst JWS, Pollard SJT & Tyrrel SF (2009) Microbial and endotoxin emission from composting facilities: characterisation of release and dispersal patterns, Wit Transactions on Ecology and the Environment, 123 163-172.
- Rashid SHA, Evans S & Longhurst P (2008) A comparison of four sustainable manufacturing strategies, International Journal of Sustainable Engineering, 1 (3) 214-229.
- Drew Gillian H, Smith Richard, Gerard Valerie, Burge C, Lowe M, Kinnersley R, Sneath R & Longhurst P J (2007) Appropriateness of selecting different averaging times for modelling chronic and acute exposure to environmental odours, Atmospheric Environment, 41 (13) 2870-2880.
- Taha MPM, Drew GH, Tamer Vestlund A, Hewings G, Jordinson GM, Longhurst PJ & Pollard SJT (2007) Improving bioaerosol exposure assessments of composting facilities - Comparative modelling of emissions from different compost ages and processing activities, Atmospheric Environment, 41 (21) 4504-4519.
- Taha MPM, Drew GH, Tamer Vestlund A, Aldred D, Longhurst PJ & Pollard SJT (2007) Enumerating actinomycetes in compost bioaerosols at source-Use of soil compost agar to address plate ‘masking', Atmospheric Environment, 41 (22) 4759-4765.
- Lawson CP, Longhurst PJ & Ivey P (2006) The application of a new research and development project selection model in SMEs, Technovation, 26 (2) 242-250.
- Pollard Simon J T, Smith Richard, Longhurst P J, Eduljee G H & Hall D H (2006) Recent developments in the application of risk analysis to waste technologies., Environment International, 32 (8) 1010-1020.
- Taha MPM, Drew GH, Longhurst PJ, Smith R & Pollard S (2006) Bioaerosol releases from compost facilities: evaluating passive and active source terms at a green waste facility for improved risk assessments, Atmospheric Environment, 40 (6) 1159-1169.
- Jefferson Bruce, Nazareno C, Georgaki S, Gostelow P, Stuetz Richard M, Longhurst P J & Robinson T (2005) Membrane Gas Absorbers for H2S Removal - Design, Operation and Technology Integration into Existing Odour Treatment Strategies., Environmental Technology, 26 (7) 793-804.
- Hurst C, Longhurst PJ, Pollard SJT, Smith R, Jefferson B & Gronow JR (2005) Assessment of municipal waste compost as a daily cover material for odour control at landfill sites., Environmental Pollution, 135 (1) 171-177.
- Taha MPM, Pollard SJT, Sarkar U & Longhurst P (2005) Estimating fugitive bioaerosol releases from static compost windrows: Feasibility of a portable wind tunnel approach, Waste Management, 25 (4) 445-450.
- Bouzalakos S, Jefferson B, Longhurst PJ & Stuetz RM (2004) Developing Methods to Evaluate Odour Control Products, Water Science and Technology, 50 (4) 225-232.
- Longhurst PJ, Cotter M & Gostelow P (2004) Odour management plans: a risk-based approach using stakeholder data, Water Science and Technology, 50 (4) 17-23.
- Hobbs SE, Sarkar U & Longhurst PJ (2003) Community modelling: a tool for correlating estimates of exposure with perception of odour from municipal solid waste (MSW) landfills, Journal of Environmental Management, 68 (2) 133-140.
- Sarkar U, Hobbs SE & Longhurst P (2003) Dispersion of odour: a case study with a municipal solid waste landfill site in North London, United Kingdom, Journal of Environmental Management, 68 (2) 153-160.
- Coldrick S, Longhurst PJ, Ivey P & Hannis J (2001) An R&D options selection model for investment decisions, Technovation, 25 (1) 185-193.
- Stubbs M, Lemon M & Longhurst P (2000) Intelligent urban management: Learning to manage and managing to learn together for a change, Urban Studies, 37 (10) 1801-1811.
- Burgess JE, Longhurst PJ, Quarmby J & Stephenson T (2000) Innovational adaptation in the UK water and wastewater industry: a case study of introducing DTA, Technovation, 20 (1) 37-45.
- Hobbs SE, Longhurst P, Sarkar U & Sneath RW (2000) Comparison of dispersion models for assessing odour from municipal solid wastes., Waste Management and Research, 18 (5) 420-428.
- Burgess JE, Harkness J, Longhurst PJ & Stephenson T (2000) Nutrient Balancing for Enhanced Activated Sludge Reactor Performance: UK Perspective, Water Science and Technology, 41 (12) 223-231.
- Burgess JE, Longhurst PJ, Quarmby J & Stephenson T (2000) Direct toxicity assessment: adaptation and the proactive roles of regulators and operators, Technovation, 20 (6) 313-320.
- Taylor M, Chambers B, Litterick A, Longhurst P, Tyrrel S, Gale P & Tompkins D (2012) Risk-based Guidance for BSI PAS110 Digestates in GB Agriculture. In: 17th European Biosolids & Organic Resources Conference, 2012, Leeds, 19 November 2012.
- Wagland ST & Longhurst PJ (2012) Monitoring of renewable energy yield of mixed wastes by image analysis of input residual waste materials. In: 4th International Symposium on Energy from Biomass and Waste, 2012, San Servolo, Venice, 12-15 November 2012.
- Longhurst P, Chambers B, Gale P, Litterick A, Taylor M, Tompkins D & Tyrrel S (2012)
Risk assessment of the use of source-segregated anaerobic digestates in GB agriculture. In: 17th European Biosolids & Organic Resources Conference, 2012, Leeds, 19 November 2012.
- Drew GH, Tamer Vestlund A, Hough RL, Chackiath SJ, Broomfield M & Longhurst PJ (2007) Health impact assessment of alternate week waste collections. In: Chartered Institution of Wastes Management Conference and Exhibition, Torbay, 12 June 2007.
- Drew GH, Tamer Vestlund A, Jordinson G, Taha MPM, Smith R, Tyrrel SF, Longhurst PJ & Pollard S (2007) Progress towards a best practice method for modelling dispersion of bioaerosols from composting facilities. In: 11th International Waste Management and Landfill Symposium, 2007 (Sardinia 2007), S. Margherita di Pula, Cagliari, 1 October 2007.
- Hill D, Garg A, Smith R, Pollard SJT & Longhurst P (2006) Appraisal of options for solid recovered fuel (SRF) utilisation within the UK. In: Venice 2006: Biomass and Waste to Energy Symposium, Cini Foundation, Venice, 29 November 2006.
- Drew Gillian H, Tamer Vestlund Asli, Taha M P M, Smith Richard, Longhurst P J, Kinnersley R & Pollard Simon J T (2006) Dispersion of bioaerosols from composting facilities.. In: Waste 2006: Sustainable Waste and Resource Management, Stratford-upon-Avon, UK, 19 September 2006.
- McHenry P, Mcintosh BS, Longhurst PJ, Lowe M & Seaton RAF (2004) The Development of a Decision Support Tool for Innovative Municipal Solid Waste Strategy Planning. In: ISWA World Congress 2003, Melbourne, Australia, 9 November 2004.
- Pankhurst LJ, Deacon LJ, Liu J, Drew GH, Hayes ET, Jackson S, Longhurst PJ, Longhurst JWS, Pollard SJT & Tyrrel SF (2009) Microbial and endotoxin emission from composting facilities: characterisation of release and dispersal patterns. In: Air Pollution XVII, Southampton: Wessex Institute of Technology, p. 163-172.