Contact Professor Philip John
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Areas of expertise
In 1999 Prof John joined Cranfield to take up the Chair of Systems Engineering and subsequently established one of Europe’s leading Centres of Systems Engineering. He has held several roles in the University, including Technical Director leading the FLAVIIR research programme that developed a novel Uninhabited Air Vehicle called DEMON, demonstrating flapless control and other new technologies in flight.
Prior to this move to academia, Phil had a successful industrial career in a wide range of senior managerial roles in Systems Development and Project Management, including international responsibilities as Head of Systems Engineering for a major multinational blue chip company.
He has been a member of several National Advisory Committees and Industrial Steering Boards and served as the President of the International Council on Systems Engineering (INCOSE) in the UK from 2003 to 2004. Phil gained his PhD in Mechanical Engineering at Imperial College, London
Professor Philip John was Pro-Vice-Chancellor, Head of the School of Aerospace, Transport & Manufacturing and the Professor of Systems Engineering at Cranfield University. He is a Fellow of the Royal Academy of Engineering.
Professor John provides research, training and consultancy to many major organisations dealing with complex systems issues. His research interests reflect the wide range of systems expertise necessary to understand and manage the complexities and risks of today’s highly integrated and demanding world including:
- Understanding complex Systems and Systems of Systems
- Managing complex systems projects and risks
- Through Life Capability Management
- Integrated System Design
- Coping with uncertainly and change in systems.
ClientsProfessor John's clients include major industrial and government organisations who deal with the challenges of today's complex systems. Principal clients include:
- BAE Systems
- Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (DSTL)
- Home Office
- Lockheed Martin
- Ministry of Defence.
Articles In Journals
- Ruiz Estebanez L, Shehab E, Sydor P, Mackley T, John P & Harrison A (2015) Enhancing service requirements of technical product-service systems, Procedia CIRP, 37 7-11.
- Esperon-Miguez M, John P & Jennions IK (2013) A review of Integrated Vehicle Health Management tools for legacy platforms: Challenges and opportunities, Progress in Aerospace Sciences, 56 19-34.
- Tetlay A & John P (2011) Capability readiness for product-service systems, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture, 225 (8) 1471-1477.
- John P (2010) The flapless air vehicle integrated industrial research (FLAVIIR) programme in aeronautical engineering, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part G: Journal of Aerospace Engineering, 224 (4) 355-363.
- Calvano C.N. & John P. (2004) Systems Engineering in an Age of Complexity, Systems Engineering, 7 (1) 25-34.
- Esperon-Miguez M, John P & Jennions I A new methodology for costs and availability analysis on aircraft with Integrated Vehicle Health Management, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part O: Journal of Risk and Reliability.
- Esperon-Miguez M, John P & Jennions I Selection of health monitoring tools based on sensitivity analysis of maintenance parameters, Aerospace Science and Technology.
- Esperon-Miguez M, Jennions IK & John P (2015) Implementing IVHM on legacy aircraft: progress towards identifying an optimal combination of technologies. In: 8th World Congress on Engineering Asset Management (WCEAM 2013), Hong Kong, 30 October - 1 November 2013.
- Esperon Miguez M, John P & Jennions I (2012) Uncertainty of performance metrics for IVHM tools according to business targets. In: 1st European Conference of the Prognostics and Health Management Society, 2012, Dresden, 3 July 2012.
- Esperon-Miguez M, John P & Jennions I (2012) The effect of current military maintenance practices and regulations on the implementation of Integrated Vehicle Health Management technology. In: 2nd IFAC Workshop on Advanced Maintenance Engineering, Services and Technology, Seville, 20-23 November 2012.
- Esperon-Miguez M, John P & Jennions IK (2012) Downtime uncertainty reduction through the correct implementation of health monitoring tools. In: Asset Management Conference 2012, London, 27-28 November 2012.
- Esperon-Miguez M, John P & McFeat J (2011) Integrated Vehicle Health Management into Legacy Toolsets. In: Annual Conference of the Prognostics and Health Management Society 2011, Montreal, 25 September 2011.
- Tetlay Abideen & John Philip (2010) Clarifying the Concepts of System Maturity, System Readiness and Capability Readiness through Case Studies. In: 8th Annual Conference on Systems Engineering Research, 2010, Hoboken, 17 March 2010.
- Mackley TC, Deane JR & John P (2010) Addressing the time dimension and agility in the provision of capability. In: 5th International Conference on System of Systems Engineering (SoSE), Loughborough, 22-24 June 2010.
- Mackley T, Barker S, John P & Deane J (2009) Developing agile systems for systems of systems in a network enabled environment. In: INCOSE 2009 : 19th Annual International Symposium of INCOSE & 3rd Asia-Pacific Conference on Systems Engineering, Republic of Singapore, 20 July 2009.
- John P & Tetlay A Determining the Lines of System Maturity, System Readiness and Capability Readiness in the System Development Lifecycle. In: 7th Annual Conference on Systems Engineering Research, 2009, Loughborough, 20 April 2009.
- Wiese PR & John P (2003) Engineering design in the multi-discipline era: a systems approach. London: Professional engineering publishing.