Contact Professor Martin Skote
Areas of expertise
- Aeronautical Systems
- Aerospace Structures
- Computational Fluid Dynamics
Professor Martin Skote
joined Cranfield University as Airbus Professor of Landing Systems Engineering
in September 2018. Prior to his current position, he was an Assistant
Professor at Nanyang Technological University in Singapore, with a research
focus on turbulence, flow control and computational fluid dynamics. He was also
Cluster Director at the University’s Energy Research Institute for a research team
comprising of 15 research staff. During his ten years at the University, he
attracted around £2.0M in research grants from industry and government funding
bodies and graduated 7 PhD students as sole/main supervisor.
Before taking up his academic position in Nanyang Technological University, Professor Skote worked for the Institute of High Performance Computing in Singapore, developing a numerical simulation code for air pollution dispersion simulations in collaboration with the National Environment Agency. His PhD in turbulence was awarded (2001) from the Royal Institute of Technology (KTH) in his native country of Sweden.
The goal at Cranfield
University is to build a Centre for Landing Systems Engineering which will
focus not only on the mechanical/electrical/hydraulic aspects of landing gear
but also consider the landing system as a part of a much larger ecosystem
including airport infrastructure and air traffic management, together with all
the future innovate and disruptive technologies such as autonomous taxiing and
Modern aircraft design
has led to lighter fuselage and wings, as well as quieter engines. The
development of landing gear, however, is lagging due to that technological
improvements of other aircraft parts cannot be directly transferred to the landing
gear (e.g. the use of composites), partially because of its unique requirements
and harsh operating conditions. In addition, airports have reached their
maximum capacity and the option of occupying more space is no longer viable due
to city growth together with environmental aspects such as noise and air
pollution. Therefore, landing systems will need to be developed that allows
aircraft to operate more fuel efficiently and in closer proximity to each other,
both in time and space. This may mean changes to not just aircraft design, but
also to novel operational ground technology and methods.
The new Centre’s research will look at ways to improve landing gear. It will focus on system design including noise, drag, vibrations, wasted fuel-burn, brakes, shock-absorbers, joint leakage, tyre material, composites and sensors together with network communications.
Articles In Journals
- Ricco P, Skote M & Leschziner MA (2021) A review of turbulent skin-friction drag reduction by near-wall transverse forcing, Progress in Aerospace Sciences, 123 (May) Article No. 100713.
- Tsoutsanis P, Adebayo EM, Carriba Merino A, Perez Arjona A & Skote M (2021) CWENO finite-volume interface capturing schemes for multicomponent flows using unstructured meshes, Journal of Scientific Computing, Available online 09 November 2021 (3). Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.16447212.v1
- Tay K, Koh T-Y & Skote M (2021) Characterizing mesoscale variability in low-level jet simulations for CBLAST-LOW 2001 campaign, Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics, 133 (2) 163-179.
- Tieo JJ, Skote M & Srikanth N (2020) Suitability of power-law extrapolation for wind speed estimation on a tropical island, Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics, 205 (October) Article No. 104317.
- Dobriyal R, Mishra M, Bolander M & Skote M (2020) Effects of streamlining a bluff body in the laminar vortex shedding regime, Journal of Fluids Engineering, 142 (2) Article No. 024501.
- Malik M, Bouffanais R & Skote M (2020) Viscoelastic laminar drag bounds in pipe flow, Physics of Fluids, 32 (3) Article No. 031702.
- Liu X, Mishra M, Skote M & Fu C (2019) On visualizing continuous turbulence scales, Computer Graphics Forum, 38 (1) 300-315.
- Malik M & Skote M (2019) A linear system for pipe flow stability analysis allowing for boundary condition modifications, Computers and Fluids, 192 (October) Article No. 104267.
- Tran V, Ng EYK & Skote M (2019) CFD simulation of dense gas dispersion in neutral atmospheric boundary layer with OpenFOAM, Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics, 132 (April) 273-285.
- Skote M, Mishra M & Wu Y (2019) Wall oscillation induced drag reduction zone in a turbulent boundary layer, Flow, Turbulence and Combustion, 102 (3) 641-666.
- Negi PS, Mishra M, Schlatter P & Skote M (2019) Bypass transition delay using oscillations of spanwise wall velocity, Physical Review Fluids, 4 (6) Article No. 063904.
- Malik M, Skote M & Bouffanais R (2018) Growth mechanisms of perturbations in boundary layers over a compliant wall, Physical Review Fluids, 3 (1) Article No. 013903.
- Skote M, Sim T & Srikanth N (2018) Temporal variation of the pressure from a steady impinging jet model of dry microburst-like wind using URANS, Computation, 6 (1) Article No. 2.
- Tieo J, Koh T, Skote M & Srikanth N (2018) Variance characteristics of tropical radiosonde winds using a vector-tensor method, Energies, 11 (1) Article No. 137.
- Mohamed MA, Wu Y & Skote M (2017) Assessment of simple RANS turbulence models for stall delay applications at low Reynolds number, Applied Mechanics and Materials, 863 260-265.
- Wang K, Jiang F, Bai B, Wong T, Duan F & Skote M (2017) Pressure drop, void fraction and wave behavior in two-phase non-Newtonian churn flow, Chemical Engineering Science, 174 82-92.
- Chen Y, Skote M, Steffen C & Nordborg H (2017) FSI simulation of flexible tandem insect wings in counter stroke, WSEAS Transactions on Fluid Mechanics, 12 7-15.
- Wu Y, Tang Z, Yang S, Skote M, Tang H, Zhang G & Shan Y (2017) Proper-orthogonal-decomposition study of turbulent near wake of S805 airfoil in deep stall, AIAA Journal, 55 (6) 1959-1969.
- Jiang F, Wang K, Skote M, Wong T & Duan F (2017) The effects of oil property and inclination angle on oil–water core annular flow through U-bends, Heat Transfer Engineering, 39 (6) 536-548.
- Jiang F, Wang K, Skote M, Wong T & Duan F (2017) Simulation of non-Newtonian oil-water core annular flow through return bends, Heat and Mass Transfer, 54 (1) 37-48.
- Sim T, Ong M, Quek W, Sum Z, Lai W. & Skote M (2016) A numerical study of microburst-like wind load acting on different block array configurations using an impinging jet model, Journal of Fluids and Structures, 61 (February) 184-204.
- Chen Y & Skote M (2016) Gliding performance of 3-D corrugated dragonfly wing with spanwise variation, Journal of Fluids and Structures, 62 (April) 1-13.
- Wu Y, Lee H, Tang H, Skote M & Shan Y (2016) An experimental study of the rotational effects on separated turbulent flow during stall delay, Flow, Turbulence and Combustion, 98 (1) 37-56.
- Pang A, Skote M, Lim S, Gullman-Strand J & Morgan N (2016) A numerical approach for determining equilibrium scour depth around a mono-pile due to steady currents, Applied Ocean Research, 57 114-124.
- Pang A, Skote M & Lim S (2016) Modelling high Re flow around a 2D cylindrical bluff body using the k-ω (SST) turbulence model, Progress in Computational Fluid Dynamics, An International Journal, 16 (1) 48-57.
- Skote M & Wallin S (2016) Near-wall damping in model predictions of separated flows, International Journal of Computational Fluid Dynamics, 30 (3) 218-230.
- Skote M & Ibrahim I (2016) Utilizing the L-PSJA for controlling cylindrical wake flow, International Journal of Numerical Methods for Heat and Fluid Flow, 26 (5) 1593-1616.
- Negi P, Mishra M & Skote M (2015) DNS of a single low-speed streak subject to spanwise wall oscillations, Flow, Turbulence and Combustion, 94 (4) 795-816.
- Skote M, Mishra M & Wu Y (2015) Drag reduction of a turbulent boundary layer over an oscillating wall and its variation with reynolds number, International Journal of Aerospace Engineering, 2015 Article No. 891037.
- Mishra M & Skote M (2015) Drag reduction in turbulent boundary layers with half wave wall oscillations, Mathematical Problems in Engineering, 2015 Article No. 253249.
- Chen Y & Skote M (2015) Study of lift enhancing mechanisms via comparison of two distinct flapping patterns in the dragonfly Sympetrum flaveolum, Physics of Fluids, 27 (3) Article No. 033604.
- Li H, Wong T, Skote M & Duan F (2014) Non-Newtonian two-phase stratified flow with curved interface through horizontal and inclined pipes, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 74 (July) 113-120.
- Mishra M, Liu X, Skote M & Fu C (2014) Kolmogorov spectrum consistent optimization for multi-scale flow decomposition, Physics of Fluids, 26 (5) Article No. 055106.
- Rong S, Li H, Skote M, Wong T & Duan F (2014) Numerical simulation of unidirectional stratified flow by moving particle semi implicit method, Communications in Computational Physics, 15 (3) 756-775.
- Ibrahim I & Skote M (2014) Simulating plasma actuators in a channel flow configuration by utilizing the modified Suzen-Huang model, Computers and Fluids, 99 144-155.
- Skote M (2014) Scaling of the velocity profile in strongly drag reduced turbulent flows over an oscillating wall, International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow, 50 352-358.
- Li H, Wong T, Skote M & Duan F (2013) A simple model for predicting the pressure drop and film thickness of non-Newtonian annular flows in horizontal pipes, Chemical Engineering Science, 102 121-128.
- Skote M (2013) Comparison between spatial and temporal wall oscillations in turbulent boundary layer flows, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 730 273-294.
- Chen Y, Skote M, Zhao Y & Huang W (2013) Dragonfly (Sympetrum flaveolum) flight: Kinematic measurement and modelling, Journal of Fluids and Structures, 40 115-126.
- Ibrahim I & Skote M (2013) Effects of the scalar parameters in the Suzen-Huang model on plasma actuator characteristics, International Journal of Numerical Methods for Heat and Fluid Flow, 23 (6) 1076-1103.
- Li H, Wong T, Skote M & Duan F (2013) Non-newtonian liquid-gas non-uniform stratified flow with interfacial level gradient through horizontal tubes, Journal of Fluids Engineering, 136 (2) Article No. 021303.
- Susanto S, Skote M & Chauhan S (2013) In vitro assessment of combined Doppler ultrasound and CFD modeling in arterial blood flow quantification, Flow Measurement and Instrumentation, 33 218-227.
- Chen Y, Skote M, Zhao Y & Huang W (2013) Stiffness evaluation of the leading edge of the dragonfly wing via laser vibrometer, Materials Letters, 97 166-168.
- Kulish V, Skote M & Horak V (2013) Viscosity: Its appearance at ultra-short scale, viscous stream buckling and a novel approach to determine critical values of the Reynolds number for laminar-turbulent transition, Mathematics in Engineering, Science and Aerospace, 4 (4) 359-368.
- Kulish V, Skote M & Horak V (2012) A model of laminar-turbulent transition based on viscous stream buckling, AIP Conference Proceedings, 1493 (1) 590-594.
- Ibrahim I & Skote M (2012) Simulations of the linear plasma synthetic jet actuator utilizing a modified Suzen-Huang model, Physics of Fluids, 24 (11).
- Skote M (2012) Temporal and spatial transients in turbulent boundary layer flow over an oscillating wall, International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow, 38 1-12.
- Skote M & Tieo JJ (2012) Phenomenological theory of rough-wall boundary layers, Mathematics in Engineering, Science and Aerospace, 3 (1) 53-62.
- Skote M, Mårtensson G & Johansson A (2011) Flow in a rapidly rotating cone-shaped PCR-tube, International Journal of Numerical Methods for Heat and Fluid Flow, 21 (6) 717-735.
- Skote M (2011) Turbulent boundary layer flow subject to streamwise oscillation of spanwise wall-velocity, Physics of Fluids, 23 (8) Article No. 081703.
- Yudhistira I. Skote M (2011) Direct numerical simulation of a turbulent boundary layer over an oscillating wall, Journal of Turbulence, 12 (9) 1-17.
- Ibrahim IH & Skote M (2011) Boundary condition modifications of the Suzen-Huang plasma actuator model, International Journal of Flow Control, 3 (2-3) 111-131.
- Mårtensson G, Skote M, Malmqvist M, Falk M, Asp A, Svanvik N & Johansson A (2006) Rapid PCR amplification of DNA utilizing Coriolis effects, European Biophysics Journal, 35 (6) 453-458.
- Skote M, Sandberg M, Westerberg U, Claesson L & Johansson A (2005) Numerical and experimental studies of wind environment in an urban morphology, Atmospheric Environment, 39 (33) 6147-6158.
- Skote M & Henningson D (2002) Direct numerical simulation of a separated turbulent boundary layer, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 471 107-136.
- Komminaho J & Skote M (2002) Reynolds stress budgets in Couette and boundary layer flows, Flow, Turbulence and Combustion, 68 (2) 167-192.
- Skote M, Haritonidis J & Henningson D (2002) Varicose instabilities in turbulent boundary layers, Physics of Fluids, 14 (7) 2309-2323.
- Skote M, Henningson D & Henkes R (1998) Direct numerical simulation of self-similar turbulent boundary layers in adverse pressure gradients, Flow, Turbulence and Combustion, 60 (1) 47-85.
- Pang A, Gullman-Strand J, Morgan N, Skote M & Lim S (2016) Determining scour depth for offshore structures based on a hydrodynamics and optimisation approach. In: Offshore Technology Conference Asia, Kuala Lumpur, 22-25 March 2016.
- Paramasivam S, Skote M, Dan Z & Schlüter J (2016) Detailed study of effects of crosswind and turbulence intensity on aircraft wake-vortex in ground proximity. In: 34th AIAA Applied Aerodynamics Conference, 2016, Washington, 13-17 June 2016.
- Pang A, Skote M & Lim S (2013) Turbulence modeling around extremely large cylindrical bluff bodies. In: 23rd international offshore and polar engineering conference (ISOPE 2013), Anchorage, AK, 30 June - 5 July 2013.
- Skote M, Mishra M, Negi P, Wu Y, Lee H & Schlatter P (2016) Wall oscillation induced drag reduction of turbulent boundary layers. In: Progress in Turbulence VI, Springer International Publishing, p. 161-165.
- Hirose N, Matsuo Y, Nakamura T, Skote M & Henningson D (2000) Large scale parallel direct numerical simulation of a separating turbulent boundary layer flow over a flat plate using NAL numerical wind tunnel. In: High Performance Computing: Third International Symposium, ISHPC 2000, Springer, p. 494-500.
- Skote M & Henningson DS (1999) DNS of a turbulent boundary layers under a strong adverse pressure gradient. In: Recent Advances in DNS and LES: Proceedings of the Second AFOSR Conference, Springer, p. 373-384.
- Skote M & Henningson DS (1998) Direct numerical simulation of adverse pressure gradient turbulent boundary layers. In: Advances in Turbulence VII: Proceedings of the Seventh European Turbulence Conference, Springer, p. 171-174.
- Skote M & Henningson DS (1997) Direct numerical simulation of turbulent boundary layers with adverse pressure gradient. In: Advances in DNS/LES: Direct Numerical Simulation and Large Eddy Simulation, Greyden Press, p. 215-222.