Contact Professor Mark Savill
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 754752
- Email: email@example.com
Areas of expertise
Anthony Mark Savill MA (Hons), PhD (Cantab), FHEA, FRAeS, C.Eng
Mark Savill is currently a Professor of Computational Aerodynamics Design and Head of the Power & Propulsion Sciences group within the Department of Power & Propulsion of the School of Engineering at Cranfield University, where he has been a Member of Council 2010-2013. He joined Cranfield in 2003 from Cambridge University, where he was formerly Manager of their Engineering Department CFD Laboratory. He remaiins a Felllow and Member of the Governing Body for Girton College, Cambridge. Professor Savill is on the Management team for three internationally respected EPSRC High Performance Computing Consortia (UK Turbulence, UK Applied Aerodynamics and the UK Consortium for Mesoscale Engineering Science), He Chairs the EPSRC Steering Committee for Computational Science and Engineering Support nationally, and also sits of the Collabortaive Computational Projects Steering Panel. He is a Chartered Engineer, a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, a Fellow of the Royal Aeronautical Society, and a Liveryman of the Fan Makers Company within the City of London, of which he is a Freeman. His academic standing is widely regarded as first class throughout the UK and world-wide.
Current activitiesProfessor Savill's latest work has been focused on a range of multi-objective optimisation developments, and virtual test bed simulations for aircraft design and control for which he was awarded (with two Cambridge colleagues) the Royal Aeronautical Society Busk Prize for the Best Aerodynamics Paper on the Centenary of Powered Flight in the UK.. He collaborates closely with others at Cranfield on multi-disciplinary computational engineering design optimisation for minimising the impact of aviation on the environment; embracing emission studies, alternative combustor technologies, and biofuels. He also continues to work in cooperation with colleagues at a number of other UK and international institutions; currently with a main focus on aircraft/engine performance and integration, high-lift and novel configurations, aerodynamic noise, flow control, and combustion/pollutant mixing processes.
Articles In Journals
- Azami MH & Savill MA (2017) Comparative study of alternative biofuels on aircraft engine performance, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part G: Journal of Aerospace Engineering, 231 (8) 1509-1521.
- Fisher R, Nishino T & Savill M Numerical Analysis of a Bidirectional Synthetic Jet for Active Flow Control, AIAA Journal, In Press (3).
- Azami MH & Savill M (2017) Pulse detonation assessment for alternative fuels, Energies, 10 (3).
- Lin Y, Vadlamani R, Savill M & Tucker P Wall-resolved large eddy simulation for aeroengine aeroacoustic investigation, Aeronautical Journal -New Series-, In Press.
- Alrabghi A, Tiwari A & Savill M (2017) Simulation-based optimisation of maintenance systems: Industrial case studies, Journal of Manufacturing Systems, 44 (1) 191-206.
- Azami MH & Savill M (2016) Modelling of spray evaporation and penetration for alternative fuels, Fuel, 180 (September) 514-520.
- Mazlan NM, Savill M & Kipouros T (2015) Effects of biofuels properties on aircraft engine performance, Aircraft Engineering and Aerospace Technology, 87 (5) 437-442.
- Tsotskas C., Kipouros T. & Savill A. (2015) Fast multi-objective optimisation of a micro-fluidic device by using graphics accelerators, Procedia Computer Science, 51 2237-2246.
- Gerova K & Savill A. (2015) On Optimum Choice of Forchheimer Equation Coefficients for Computational Fluid Dynamics Simulation of Heat Exchangers, SAE International Journal of Passenger Cars - Mechanical Systems, 8 (2) 779-785.
- Rylatt RM, Snape JR, Allen P, Ardestani BM, Boait P, Boggasch E, Fan D, Fletcher G, Gammon R, Lemon M, Pakka V, Rynikiewicz C, Savill M, Smith S, Strathern M & Varga L (2015) Exploring smart grid possibilities: a complex systems modelling approach, Smart Grid, 1 (1) 1-15.
- Fischer GR, Kipouros T & Savill AM (2014) Multi-objective optimisation of horizontal axis wind turbine structure and energy production using aerofoil and blade properties as design variables, Renewable Energy, 62 506-515.
- Furlan F, Chiereghin N, Kipouros T, Benini E & Savill M (2014) Computational design of S-Duct intakes for distributed propulsion, Aircraft Engineering and Aerospace Technology, 86 (6) 473-477.
- Oliver JM, Kipouros T & Savill AM (2014) Electrical power grid network optimisation by evolutionary computing, Procedia Computer Science, 29 1948-1958.
- Tsotskas C, Kipouros T & Savill AM (2014) The Design and Implementation of a GPU-enabled Multi-Objective Tabu-Search intended for Real World and High-Dimensional Applications, Procedia Computer Science, 29 2152-2161.
- Monje B, Sanchez D, Chacartegui R, Sanchez T, Savill AM & Pilidis P (2013) Aerodynamic analysis of conical diffusers operating with air and supercritical carbon dioxide, International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow, 44 542-553.
- Rylatt M, Gammon R, Boait P, Varga L, Allen P, Savill M, Snape R, Lemon M, Ardestani B, Pakka V, Fletcher G, Smith S, Fan D & Strathern M (2013) CASCADE: An Agent Based Framework for Modeling The Dynamics of Smart Electricity Systems, Emergence: Complexity & Organization, 15 (2) 1-13.
- Razzaq M, Tsotskas C, Turek S, Kipouros T, Savill M & Hron J (2013) Multi-Objective Optimization of a Fluid Structure Interaction Benchmarking, Computer Modeling in Engineering and Sciences, 90 (4) 303-337.
- Allen P, Varga L, Strathern M, Savill M & Fletcher G (2013) Exploring Possible Energy Futures for the UK: Evolving Power Generation, Emergence: Complexity & Organization, 15 (2) 38-63.
- Lin Y, Savill M, Vadlamani N & Jefferson-Loveday R (2013) Wall-resolved large eddy simulation over NACA0012 airfoil, International Journal of Aerospace Sciences, 2 (4) 149-162.
- Trapani G, Kipouros T & Savill AM (2012) The Design of Multi-Element Airfoils Through Multi-Objective Optimization Techniques, Computer Modeling in Engineering and Sciences, 88 (2) 107-140.
- Dinesh KKJR, Savill AM, Garry KP, Holt JC, Poll DIA & Kirkpatrick MP (2012) Modelling of coaxial jet efflux mixing using LES, International Journal of Fluid Mechanics Research, 39 (1) 20-39.
- Dinesh KKJR, Jenkins KW, Savill AM & Kirkpatrick MP (2012) Swirl effects on external intermittency in turbulent jets, International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow, 33 (1) 193-206.
- Dinesh KKJR, Jenkins KW, Savill AM & Kirkpatrick MP (2012) Mixing, intermittency and large eddy simulation of a turbulent round jet, Progress in Computational Fluid Dynamics, An International Journal, 12 (5) 342-352.
- Gilliland T, Ranga Dinesh KKJ, Fairweather M, Falle SAEG, Jenkins KW & Savill AM (2012) External Intermittency Simulation in Turbulent Round Jets, Flow, Turbulence and Combustion, 89 (3) 385-406.
- Dinesh KKJR, Jenkins KW, Savill AM & Kirkpatrick MP (2010) Influence of Bluff-Body and Swirl on Mixing and Intermittency of Jets, Engineering Applications of Computational Fluid Mechanics, 4 (3) 374-386.
- Dinesh KKJR, Savill AM, Jenkins KW & Kirkpatrick MP (2010) A study of mixing and intermittency in a coaxial turbulent jet, Fluid Dynamics Research, 42 (2) 1-20.
- Dinesh KKJR, Savill AM, Jenkins KW & Kirkpatrick MP (2010) Large Eddy Simulation of a turbulent swirling coaxial jet, Progress in Computational Fluid Dynamics, An International Journal, 10 (2) 88-99.
- Dinesh KKJR, Savill AM, Jenkins KW & Kirkpatrick MP (2010) LES of intermittency in a turbulent round jet with different inlet conditions, Computers and Fluids, 39 (9) 1685-1695.
- Kipouros T, Jaeggi D, Dawes B, Parks G, Savill M & Clarkson PJ (2008) Insight into High-quality Aerodynamic Design Spaces through Multi-objective Optimization, Computer Modeling in Engineering and Sciences, 37 (1) 1-44.
- Kipouros T, Jaeggi DM, Dawes WN, Parks GT, Savill AM & Clarkson PJ (2008) Biobjective design optimization for axial compressors using tabu search, AIAA Journal, 46 (3) 701-711.
- Richardson G A, Dawes W N & Savill A M (2007) An unsteady, moving mesh CFD simulation for Harrier hot-gas ingestion control analysis, Aeronautical Journal -New Series-, 111 (1117) 133-144.
- Kipouros Timoleon, Jaeggi Daniel, Dawes Bill, Parks Geoff & Savill Mark (2005) Multi-objective Optimisation of Turbomachinery Blades Using Tabu Search, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 3410 897-910.
- Cant R, Dawes WN & Savill AM (2004) Advanced CFD and modeling of accidental explosions, Annual Review of Fluid Mechanics, 36 97-119.
- Vicedo J, Vilmin S, Dawes WN & Savill AM (2004) Intermittency Transport Modeling of separated flow transition, Journal of Turbomachinery, 126 424-431.
- Biktasheva IV, Biktashev VN, Dawes WN, Holden AV, Saumarez RC & Savill AM (2003) Dissipation of the excitation front as a mechanism of self-terminating arrhythmias, International Journal of Bifurcation and Chaos, 13 (12) 3645-3655.
- Djenidi L, Antonia R & Savill AM (2003) A numerical study of drag reduction by mini belts in a smooth turbulent boundary layer, Aeronautical Journal -New Series-, 107 559-564.
- Yao YF, Savill AM, Sandham ND & Dawes WN (2002) Simulation and modelling of turbulent trailing-edge flow, Flow, Turbulence and Combustion, 68 313-333.
- Dawes WN, Dhanasekaran PC, Demargne AAJ, Kellar WP & Savill AM (2001) Reducing bottlenecks in the CAD-to-mesh-to-solution cycle time to allow CFD to participate in design, Journal of Turbomachinery, 123 (3) 552-557.
- Birkby P, Cant RS & Savill AM (2000) The application of a laminar flamelet model to confined explosion hazards, Flow, Turbulence and Combustion, 63 (1-4) 361-377.
- Watterson JK, Dawes WN, Savill AM & White AJ (1999) Predicting turbulent flow in a staggered tube bundle, International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow, 20 (6) 581-591.
- Watterson JK, Connell IJ, Savill AM & Dawes WN (1998) A solution-adaptive mesh procedure for predicting confined explosions, International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids, 26 (2) 235-247.
- Pollard A, Tullis S, Wang X & Savill AM (1996) Simulating turbulent flow over thin element and flat valley V-shaped riblets, AIAA Journal, 34 (11) 2261-2268.
- Squire LC & Savill AM (1996) Experimental results on aerofoil manipulators at high subsonic speeds, Experiments in Fluids, 21 (4) 275-285.
- Hustad CW, Savill AM & Dawes WN (1995) A numerical investigation of aerofoil boundary-layer manipulator profile for cruise-flight conditions, Applied Scientific Research, 54 (4) 267-280.
- Djenidi L, Ioualalen M, Savill AM & Squire LC (1994) A computational study of aerofoil manipulators in laminar and turbulent flow, European Journal of Mechanics - B/Fluids, 13 (6) 661-683.
- SAVILL AM (1993) Evaluating turbulence model predictions of transition, Applied Scientific Research, 51 (1-2) 555-562.
- Ferre JA, Mumford JC, Savill AM & Giralt F (1990) Three-dimensional large-eddy motions and fine-scale activity in a plane turbulent wake, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 210 371-414.
- Savill AM (1989) The effect of an adverse pressure gradient on the drag reductionperformance of manipulators, International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow, 10 (2) 118-124.
- Pollard A, Savill AM & Thomann H (1989) Turbulent pipe flow manipulation: some experimental and computational results for single manipulator rings, Applied Scientific Research, 46 (3) 281-290.
- Squire LC & Savill AM (1989) Drag measurements on planar riblet surfaces at high subsonic speeds, Applied Scientific Research, 46 (3) 229-243.
- Coustols E & Savill AM (1989) Résumé of important results presented at the third turbulent drag reduction working party, Applied Scientific Research, 46 (3) 183-196.
- Choi KS, Gadd GE, Pearcey HH, Savill AM & Svensson S (1989) Tests of drag-reducing polymer coated on a riblet surface, Applied Scientific Research, 46 (3) 209-216.
- Savill AM & Mumford JC (1988) Manipulation of turbulent boundary layers by outer-layer devices: skin-friction and flow-visualization results, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 191 389-418.
- Savill AM, Truong TV & Ryhming IL (1988) Turbulent drag reduction by passive means - a review and report on the 1st European drag reduction meeting, Journal de Mecanique Theorique et Appliquee, 7 (4) 353-378.
- Savill AM (1987) Recent developments in rapid-distortion theory, Annual Review of Fluid Mechanics, 19 531-573.
- Nguyen VD, Savill AM & Westphal RV (1987) Skin friction measurements following manipulation of a turbulent boundary layer, AIAA Journal, 25 (3) 498-500.
- Kontogiannis SG, Savill AM & Kipouros T (2017) A Multi-Objective Multi-Fidelity framework for global optimization. In: 58th AIAA/ASCE/AHS/ASC Structures, Structural Dynamics, and Materials Conference, Grapevine, Texas, 9-13 January 2017.
- Chiereghin N, Guglielmi L, Savill M, Kipouros T, Manca E, Rigobello A, Barison M & Benin E (2017) Shape optimization of a curved duct with Free Form Deformations. In: 23rd AIAA Computational Fluid Dynamics Conference: AIAA AVIATION Forum 2017, Denver, 5-9 June 2017.
- Azami M & Savill M (2016) Comparative analysis of alternative fuels in detonation combustion. In: 52nd AIAA/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference, Propulsion and Energy Forum, 2016, Salt Lake City, Utah, 25-27 July 2016.
- Demange J, Savill MA & Kipouros T (2016) A multifidelity multiobjective optimization framework for high-lift airfoils. In: 17th AIAA/ISSMO Multidisciplinary Analysis and Optimization Conference, Washington DC, 13-17 June 2016.
- Di Pasquale D, Zhu F, Cross M, Savill M & Kipouros T (2016) Integrated system to perform surrogate based aerodynamic optimisation for high-lift airfoil. In: 5th International Conference on Engineering Optimization - EngOpt 2016, Iguassu Falls, 19 June 2016.
- Monge B, Sánchez D, Savill M, Pilidis P & Sánchez T. (2015) Influence of design parameters on the performance of a multistage centrifugal compressor for supercritical carbon dioxide applications. In: Proceedings of ASME Turbo Expo 2015: Turbine Technical Conference and Exposition, Montreal, 15-19 June 2015.
- Ferraro G, Kipouros T, Savill AM, Rampurawala A & Agostinelli C. (2014) Propeller-Wing Interaction Prediction for Early Design. In: 52nd AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting - AIAA Science and Technology Forum and Exposition, SciTech 2014, National Harbor, Maryland, 13-17 January 2014.
- Monje B, Sánchez D, Savill M, Pilidis P & Sánchez T (2014) A design strategy for supercritical CO2 compressors. In: ASME Turbo Expo 2014: Turbine Technical Conference and Exposition, Dusseldorf, 16-20 June 2014.
- Di Pasquale D, Holden C, Kipouros T & Savill M. (2014) An automatic aerodynamic design process in an industrial Multi-Disciplinary context. In: Joint 11th World Congress on Computational Mechanics, WCCM 2014, the 5th European Conference on Computational Mechanics, ECCM 2014 and the 6th European Conference on Computational Fluid Dynamics, ECFD 2014, Barcelona, 20 July 2014.
- Ferraro G., Kipouros T., Mark Savill A. & Rampurawala A. (2014) Multi-objective genetic design optimisation for early design. In: 52nd AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting - AIAA Science and Technology Forum and Exposition, SciTech 2014, National Harbor, Maryland, 13-17 January 2014.
- Spanelis A, Savill AM & Garry KP (2013) Large eddy simulations of tubofan engine exhaust plume dispersion on a take-off runway. In: ASME Turbo Expo 2013: Turbine Technical Conference and Exposition., San Antonio, Texas, 3-7 June 2013.
- Mahmood T, Jackson A, Rizvi SH, Pilidis P, Savill AM & Sethi V (2012) Thrust Reverser for a Mixed Exhaust High Bypass Ratio Turbofan Engine and its Effect on Aircraft and Engine Performance. In: ASME Turbo Expo 2012: Turbine Technical Conference and Exposition, Copenhagen, 11-15 June 2012.
- Monje B, Sanchez D, Chacartegui R, Sanchez T, Savill M & Pilidis P (2012) Comparing the pressure rise of air and supercritical carbon dioxide in conical diffusers. In: ASME Turbo Expo 2012: Turbine Technical Conference and Exposition, Copenhagen, 11 June 2012.
- Saddawi SD, Kipouros T & Savill M (2012) Computational engineering design for micro-scale combustors. In: ASME Turbo Expo 2012: Turbine Technical Conference and Exposition, Copenhagen, 11-15 June 2012.
- Mazlan NM, Savill M, Kipouros T & Li YG (2012) A numerical study Into the effects of bio-synthetic paraffinic kerosine blends with Jet-A fuel for civil aircraft engine. In: ASME Turbo Expo 2012: Turbine Technical Conference and Exposition, Copenhagen, 11-15 June 2012.
- Sibilli T, Savill M, Sethi V, MacManus D & Rolt A (2012) Numerical simulation of propulsion system integration for very high bypass ratio engines. In: ASME Turbo Expo 2012: Turbine Technical Conference and Exposition, Copenhagen, 11-15 June 2012.
- Sibilli T & Savill M (2011) Computational fluid dynamics drag prediction and decomposition for propulsive system integration. In: ASME 2011 Turbo Expo: Turbine Technical Conference and Exposition, Vancouver, British Columbia, 6-10 June 2011.
- Li Q, Peake N & Savill AM (2009) Grid-refined LES predictions for Fan-OGV broadband noise. In: 15th AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference (30th AIAA Aeroacoustics Conference), Miami, Florida, 11 May 2009.
- Li Q, Peake N & Savill AM (2008) Large eddy simulations for fan-OGV broadband noise prediction. In: 14th AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference (29th AIAA Aeroacoustics Conference), Vancouver, 5 May 2008.
- Kipouros T, Molinari M, Dawes WN, Parks GT, Savill AM & Jenkins KW (2007) An investigation of the potential for enhancing the computational turbomachinery design cycle using surrogate models and high performance parallelisation. In: ASME Turbo Expo 2007: Power for Land, Sea, and Air (GT2007), Montreal, 14-17 May 2007.
- Richardson GA, Dawes WN & Savill AM (2006) CFD analysis of hot gas ingestion mechanisms for the vertical descent phase of a harrier aircraft. In: ASME Turbo Expo 2006: Power for Land, Sea, and Air, Barcelona, 8-11 May 2006.
- Vicedo J, Vilmin S, Dawes WN, Hodson HP & Savill AM (2000) The extension of CFD-friendly turbulence modelling to include transition. In: 8th European Turbulence Conference (ETC-8), 2000, Barcelona, 27-30 June 2000.
- Birkby P, Cant RS, Dawes WN, Demargne AAJ, Dhanasekaran PC, Kellar WP, Rycroft NC, Savill AM, Eggels RLGM & Jennions IK (2000) CFD analysis of a complete industrial lean premixed gas turbine combustor. In: ASME Turbo Expo 2000: Power for Land, Sea, and Air, Munich, 8-11 May 2000.
- Di Pasquale D, Gore D, Savill M & Kipouros T (2016) Cost Modelling for Aircraft in a Multi-Disciplinary Design Context. In: Advances in Manufacturing Technology XXX: Proceedings of the 14th International Conference on Manufacturing Research, incorporating the 31st National Conference on Manufacturing Research, September 6 – 8, 2016, Loughborough University, UK. Goh YM, Case K (ed.), Amsterdam: IOS Press, p. 471-476.
- Hunt JCR & Savill AM (2005) Guidelines and criteria for the use of turbulence models in complex flows.. In: Prediction of Turbulent Flows. Hewitt GF, Vassilicos JC (ed.), Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, p. 291-343.
- Savill AM (2002) By-pass transition using conventional closures. In: Closure Strategies for Turbulent and Transitional Flows. Launder BE, Sandham ND (ed.), Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, p. 464-492.
- Savill AM (2002) New strategies in modelling by-pass transition. In: Closure Strategies for Turbulent and Transitional Flows. Launder BE, Sandham ND (ed.), Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, p. 493-521.
- Coustols E & Savill AM (1992) Turbulent Skin Friction Reduction By Active and Passive Means, Parts 1 & 2. In: AGARD Special Course Report on Skin Friction Drag Reduction, Von Karmann Institute.