Contact Professor Marin Guenov
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 754612
- Email: M.D.Guenov@cranfield.ac.uk
Areas of expertise
- Aerospace Manufacturing
- Aircraft Design
- Product and Service Design
Prof. Guenov holds MEng in Mechanical Engineering and a PhD in Operations Research (Discrete Optimisation of Materials Handling Systems). He has over 30 years industrial and research experience drawn from the Design and Optimisation of Materials Handling Systems and Equipment, Design Integration of Large Marine Made-to-Order Products, and Multidisciplinary Design, Analysis and Optimisation (MDO) in the Aerospace sector.
He is a Senior Member of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, a Fellow of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, a Fellow of the Royal Aeronautical Society, Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, and is a Chartered Engineer. He is the Chairman of the Cranfield Branch of the Royal Aeronautical Society.
Current activitiesProfessor Guenov teaches and leads research in advanced tools and methods for Integrated Product Development. These include set-based, model-based and Multidisciplinary Design Optimization (MDO) in aerospace. Prof. Guenov directs UK and EC funded research projects where his team contributes significantly to the research and development of collaborative design methods for the development of future aircraft configurations, and advanced modelling and simulation concepts such as the Digital Behavioural Aircraft.
- EADS Innovation Works
- BAE Systems
- German Aerospace Center (DLR)
- National Aerospace Laboratory of the Netherlands (NLR)
- Aviation Industry Corporation of China (AVIC)
- Commercial Aircraft Corporation of China (COMAC)
- The Government of Canada.
Articles In Journals
- Molina-Cristobal A, Guenov M, Riaz A & van Heerden ASJ (2019) Interactive uncertainty allocation and trade-off for early-stage design of complex systems, AIAA Journal, Available online 27 November 2019.
- Van Heerden A, Guenov M & Molina-Cristobal A (2019) Evolvability and design reuse in civil jet transport aircraft, Progress in Aerospace Sciences, 108 (July) 121-155.
- Chen X, Molina-Cristóbal A, Guenov MD & Riaz A (2019) Efficient method for variance-based sensitivity analysis, Reliability Engineering and System Safety, 181 (January) 97-115.
- Guenov MD, Chen X, Molina-Cristobal A, Riaz A, van Heerden ASJ & Padulo M (2018) Margin allocation and trade-off in complex systems design and optimization, AIAA Journal, 56 (7) 2887-2902.
- Riaz A, Guenov MD & Molina-Cristobal A (2016) Set-based approach to passenger aircraft family design, Journal of Aircraft, 54 (1).
- Nunez M & Guenov MD (2013) Design-exploration framework for handling changes affecting conceptual design, Journal of Aircraft, 50 (1) 114-129.
- Nunez M, Datta V, Molina-Cristobal A, Guenov M & Riaz A (2012) Enabling Exploration in the Conceptual Design and Optimisation of Complex Systems, Journal of Engineering Design, 23 (10-11) 852-875.
- Padulo M, Campobasso MS & Guenov MD (2011) Novel Uncertainty Propagation Method for Robust Aerodynamic Design, AIAA Journal, 49 (3) 530-543.
- Padulo M & Guenov MD (2011) Worst-case robust design optimization under distributional assumptions, International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, 88 (8) 797-816.
- Guenov M, Fantini P, Balachandran L, Maginot J, Padulo M & Nunez M (2010) Multidisciplinary Design Optimization Framework for the Pre Design Stage, Journal of Intelligent and Robotic Systems, 59 (3-4) 223-240.
- Balachandran LK & Guenov MD (2010) Computational Workflow Management for Conceptual Design of Complex Systems, Journal of Aircraft, 47 (2) 699-703.
- Utyuzhnikov SV, Fantini P & Guenov MD (2009) A method for generating a well-distributed Pareto set in nonlinear multiobjective optimization, Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics, 223 (2) 820-841.
- Guenov Marin D (2008) Covariance Structural Models of the Relationship between the Design and Customer Domains, Journal of Engineering Design, 19 (1) 75-95.
- Lockett H & Guenov M (2008) Similarity measures for mid-surface quality evaluation, Computer-Aided Design, 40 (3) 368-380.
- Utyuzhnikov S, Maginot J & Guenov M (2008) Local Pareto approximation for multi-objective optimization, Engineering Optimization, 40 (9) 821-847.
- Guenov MD, Barker S, Hunter C, Horsfield I & Coleridge-Smith N (2006) An Integrated Approach to Customer Elicitation for the Aerospace Sector., Systems Engineering2, 9 (1) 62-72.
- Lockett Helen L & Guenov Marin D (2005) Graph-based feature recognition for injection moulding based on a mid-surface approach, Computer-Aided Design, 37 (2) 251-262.
- Guenov Marin D & Peyron Vincent (2004) Airship-assisted space launch..
- Guenov MD & Barker S (2004) Application of Axiomatic Design and Design Structure Matrix to the Decomposition of Engineering Systems, Systems Engineering2, 8 (1) 29-40.
- Payne K, Deasley PJ, Morris AJ, Evans S, Fielding JP, Guenov MD & Syamsudin H (2002) A distributed process for the aerospace industry, Journal of Engineering Design, 13 (3) 253-260.
- Levett G & Guenov M (2000) A methodology for knowledge management implementation, Journal of Knowledge Management, 4 (3) 258-270.
- Rehman S. & Guenov MD (1998) A methodology for modelling manufacturing costs at conceptual design, Computers and Industrial Engineering, 35 (3-4) 623-626.
- Jimeno S, Molina-Cristobal A, Riaz A & Guenov M (2019) Incorporating safety in early (airframe) systems design and assessment. In: AIAA Scitech 2019 Forum, San Diego, 7-11 January 2019.
- Mura GL, Riaz A, Guenov M, Molina-Cristobal A, Chen X, Sharma S, Nicholls K & Lynas C (2019) Early stage design of high-lift devices with system and manufacturing constraints. In: AIAA Scitech 2019 Forum, San Diego, 7-11 January 2019.
- Molina-Cristobal A, Chen X, Guenov MD, Riaz A & van Heerden ASJ (2018) Interactive uncertainty allocation and trade-off at early-stage aircraft computational design. In: 2018 AIAA Non-Deterministic Approaches Conference, Kissimmee, FL, 8-12 January 2018.
- Bile Y, Riaz A, Guenov MD & Molina-Cristobal A (2018) Towards automating the sizing process in conceptual (airframe) systems architecting. In: 2018 AIAA/ASCE/AHS/ASC Structures, Structural Dynamics, and Materials Conference, AIAA SciTech Forum, Kissimmee, FL, 8-12 January 2018.
- Guenov MD, Molina-Cristóbal A, Voloshin V, Riaz A, Van Heerden ASJ, Sharma S, Cuiller C & Giese T (2016) Aircraft systems architecting - a functional-logical domain perspective. In: 16th AIAA Aviation Technology, Integration, and Operations Conference, 2016, Washington, 13-17 June 2016.
- Van Heerden A., Guenov M., Molina-Cristóbal A. & Riaz A. (2016) Enhancing the exploration of aircraft changeability during conceptual design. In: 30th Congress of the International Council of the Aeronautical Sciences, ICAS 2016, Daejeon, Korea, 25-30 September 2016.
- Guenov MD, Nunez M, Molina-Cristóbal A, Datta VC & Riaz A (2014) Aircadia -an interactive tool for the composition and exploration of aircraft computational studies at early design stage. In: 29th Congress of the International Council of the Aeronautical Sciences, 2014, St. Petersburg, 7-12 September 2014.
- Molina-Cristóbal A, Nunez M, Guenov MD, Laudan T & Druot T (2014) Black-box model epistemic uncertainty at early design stage. An aircraft power-plant integration case study. In: 29th Congress of the International Council of the Aeronautical Sciences, 2014, St. Petersburg, 7-12 September 2014.
- Padulo M & Guenov MD (2012)
A methodological perspective on Computational Engineering Design under uncertainty. In: European Congress on Computational Methods in Applied Sciences and Engineering, 2012 (ECCOMAS 2012), Vienna, 10 September 2012.
- Guenov M, Nunez M & Gondhalekar A (2011) Comparing design margins in robust and deterministic design optimization. In: EUROGEN 2011: Evolutionary and Deterministic Methods for Design, Optimization and Control with Applications to Industrial and Societal Problems, Capua, 14 September 2011.
- Gondhalekar AC, Guenov MD, Wenzel H & Nunez M and Balachandran LK (2011) Neutral description and exchange of design computational workflows. In: 18th International Conference on Engineering Design (ICED11), Copenhagen, 15-18 August 2011.
- Sripawadkul V, Padulo M & Guenov M (2010) A comparison of Airfoil Shape Parameterization Techniques for Early Design optimization.
- Padulo, M., Maginot, J., Guenov, M.D. and Holden & C. (2009) Airfoil Design under Uncertainty with Robust Geometric Parameterization.
- Balachandran LK & Guenov MD (2009) Object oriented framework for computational workflows in air-vehicle conceptual design. In: 9th AIAA Aviation Technology, Integration, and Operations Conference (ATIO), Hilton Head, South Carolina, 21-23 September 2009.
- Nunez M, Maginot J, Padulo M & Guenov M (2009) Integrated exploration and visualization of optimal aircraft conceptual designs. In: 50th AIAA/ASME/ASCE/AHS/ASC Structures, Structural Dynamics and Materials Conference, 2009, Palm Springs, CA, 4-7 May 2009.
- Utyuzhnikov SV, Maginot J & Guenov MD (2007) Local pareto approximation. In: World Congress on Engineering 2007, London, 2-4 July 2007.
- Lockett H & Guenov M (2007) A knowledge based expert system for moulded part design. In: 16th international conference on engineering design (ICED07), Paris, 28-31 August 2007.
- Maginot J, Guenov M, Fantini P & Padulo M (2007) A method for assisting the study of pareto solutions in multi-objective optimization. In: 7th AIAA Aviation Technology, Integration, and Operations Conference, Belfast, Northern Ireland, 18-20 September 2007.
- Lemmens Y, Guenov M, Rutka A, Coleman P & Schmidt-Schäffer T (2007) Methods to analyse the impact of changes in complex engineering systems. In: 7th AIAA Aviation Technology, Integration, and Operations, Belfast, 18-20 September 2007.
- Balachandran LK, Fantini PF & Guenov MD (2007) Computational process management for aircraft conceptual design. In: 7th AIAA Aviation Technology, Integration, and Operations, Belfast, 18 September 2007.
- Guenov M, Libish L, Tang D & Lockett H (2006) Computational Design Process Modelling. In: 25th International Congress of the Aeronautical Sciences, Hamburg, Germany, 3 September 2006.
- Guenov Marin D (2006) Intermodal Integration of Large Volume Air Cargo.
- Rutka A, Guenov Marin D, Lemmens Y, Schmidt-Schäffer T, Coleman P & Rivière A (2006) Methods for Engineering Change Propagation Analysis.
- Utyuzhnikov S V, Maginot J & Guenov Marin D (2006) Local pareto analyser for preliminary design..
- Guenov Marin D (2002) Complexity and Cost Effectiveness Measures for Systems Design.
- Lockett HL & Guenov MD (2002) An intelligent manufacturing advisor for casting and injection-moulding based on a mid-surface approach. In: Design Engineering Technical Conferences and Computers and Information in Engineering Conference , Montreal, Canada, 30 September - 4 October 2002.
- Chen X, Molina-Cristóbal A, Guenov MD, Datta VC & Riaz A (2018) A novel method for inverse uncertainty propagation. In: Advances in evolutionary and deterministic methods for design, optimization and control in engineering and sciences, Basel: Springer.
- Guenov MD, Nunez M, Molina-Cristóbal A, Sripawadkul V, Datta V & Riaz A (2014) Composition, management, and exploration of computational studies at early design stage. In: Computational intelligence in aerospace sciences, Reston,VA: American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, p. 415-460.
- Kesseler Ernst & Guenov Marin (2010) Advances in Collaborative Civil Aeronautical Multidisciplinary Design Optimization. Reston Virginia: American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, ed. 1.
- Padulo M, Forth SA & Guenov MD (2008) Robust Aircraft Conceptual Design using Automatic Differentiation in Matlab.. In: Advances in Automatic Differentiation, Berlin/Heidelberg: Springer, p. 271-280.