Contact Professor Lynette Ryals OBE
Lynette's professional background is in financial services and management consultancy. She is a Fellow of the Society of Investment Professionals, Fellow of the Chartered institute of Logistics and a Principal Fellow of the Higher Education Academy. She has an MA (Oxon), an MBA, and a PhD from Cranfield which researched how understanding customer profitability changed customer management practices in two international financial institutions. She has been a Pro-Vice-Chancellor at Cranfield since 2011. Before taking on her current role of CEO of MK:U at Cranfield she was Pro-Vice-Chancellor Education (2014-2019) and Dean of Cranfield School of Management (2017-19). She was also Chair of The Case Centre (2011-2017). She is a Non-Executive Director of East West Rail.
I am currently researching innovations in education, especially applied and problem-based learning as well as the role that different technologies and education approaches have, on learning. (Funded by an Office for Students Catalyst award).
Lynette’s role as Chief Executive of MK:U is to lead the development of a proposed STEM-focused university in Milton Keynes, including;
- Leading the team carrying out a feasibility review for MK:U;
- Liaising with key stakeholders in local and national government;
- Developing relationships with business and educational partners;
- Leading the development of MK:U’s educational proposition;
- Creating investor propositions, financial modelling and fundraising
MK:U's Business Supporters Group (BSG) consists of well over 100 companies representing over 700,000 employees. Key client members of the BSG include: Santander; Grant Thornton; Network Rail; Rockwell Automation; Sainsbury's.
Articles In Journals
- Peesker K, Ryals L, Rich G & Davis L (2021) An ecosystems analysis of how sales managers develop salespeople, Journal of Business and Industrial Marketing, Available online 13 January 2021.
- Guesalaga R, Gabrielsson M, Rogers B, Ryals L & Marcos Cuevas J (2018) Which resources and capabilities underpin strategic key account management?, Industrial Marketing Management, 75 (November) 160-172.
- Davies I & Ryals L (2014) The effectiveness of Key Account Management practices, Industrial Marketing Management, 43 (7) 1182-1194.
- Marcos-Cuevas J, Nätti S, Palo T & Ryals LJ (2014) Implementing Key Account Management: Intraorganisational Practices and Dilemmas, Industrial Marketing Management, 43 (7) 1216-1224.
- Persson A & Ryals L (2014) Making customer relationship decisions: Analytics v rules of thumb, Journal of Business Research, 67 (8) 1725-1732.
- Christopher M & Ryals LJ (2014) The supply chain becomes the demand chain, Journal of Business Logistics, 35 (1) 29-35.
- Davies IA & Ryals LJ (2013) Attitudes and Behaviours of Key Account Managers: Are they Really any Different to Senior Sales Professionals?, Industrial Marketing Management, 42 (6) 919-931.
- Ryals LJ & Davies I (2013) Where's the Strategic Intent in Key Account Relationships?, Journal of Business and Industrial Marketing, 28 (2) 111-124.
- Speakman J & Ryals L (2012) Key account management: the inside selling job, Journal of Business and Industrial Marketing, 27 (5) 360-369.
- Dimitriu R & Ryals L (2011) Launching a Brand, Admap (Oct) 46-47.
- Persson A & Ryals LJ (2010) Customer assets and customer equity: Management and measurement issues, Marketing Theory, 10 (4) 417-436.
- Speakman I & Ryals L (2010) A re-evaluation of conflict theory for the management of multiple, simultaneous conflict episodes, International Journal of Conflict Management, 21 (2) 186-201.
- Davies I, Ryals L & Holt S (2010) Relationship Management: a sales role, or a state of mind? An investigation of functions and attitudes across a business-to-business sales force, Industrial Marketing Management, 39 (7) 1049-1062.
- Davies I & Ryals L (2010) The Role of Social Capital in the Success of Fair Trade, Journal of Business Ethics, 96 (2) 317-338.
- Ryals L & Humphries A (2010) Efficiency versus value maximisation in co-manufacturing relationships, International Journal of Logistics Management, The, 21 (2) 309-330.
- Ryals L & Davies I (2010) Do you really know who your best salespeople are?, Harvard Business Review, 88 (12) 34-35.
- Ryals LJ (2009) Managing customers profitably, Management Focus (Cranfield), Spring 2009 (April) 20-22.
- Marcos Cuevas J, Marcos Cuevas J & Ryals L (2009) Hone your sales strategies to survive the economic crisis., Admap, 44 (2) 43-45.
- Davies I & Ryals L (2009) A stage model for transitioning to KAM, Journal of Marketing Management, 25 (9-10) 1027-1048.
- Ryals L & Marcos J (2009) How to remain calm, Consulting Review (Capgemini) (Winter).
- Ryals L, Davies I & Ward R (2009) Good behaviour brings rewards, Winning Edge.
- Storbacka K, Ryals L, Davies I & Nenonen S (2009) The changing role of sales: viewing sales as a strategic, cross-functional process, European Journal of Marketing, 43 (7-8) 890-906.
- Ryals LJ, Davies I, Woodburn & D (2009) Transitioning to KAM, Winning Edge 28-31.
- Ryals L & Davies I (2009) Successful Selling Behaviours, Winning Edge (May) 10-10.
- Marcos Cuevas J, Marcos Cuevas J & Ryals L (2009) Como recaccionar ante la recension, Mercadotecnia Expansion 39-44.
- Ryals LJ & Woodburn D (2008) Transitioning to KAM, Velocity, 10 (3) 20-23.
- Ryals L (2008) Determining the indirect value of a customer, Journal of Marketing Management, 24 (7-8) 847-864.
- Maklan S, Knox S & Ryals L (2008) New trends in innovation and customer relationship management: a challenge for market researchers., International Journal of Market Research, 50 (2) 221-240.
- Ryals L & Humphries A (2007) Seeing Eye to Eye, CPO Agenda, 3 (4) 52-57.
- Ryals L & Holt S (2007) Creating and capturing value in KAM relationships, Journal of Strategic Marketing, 15 (5) 403-420.
- Ryals L, Dias S & Berger M (2007) Optimising marketing spend: return maximization and risk minimization in the marketing portfolio, Journal of Marketing Management, 23 (9-10) 991-1012.
- Ryals L & Rogers B (2007) Key Account Planning: Benefits, Barriers and Best Practice., Journal of Strategic Marketing, 15 (2&3) 209-222.
- Rogers B & Ryals L (2007) Using Repertory Grid to access the underlying realities in key account relationships., International Journal of Market Research, 49 (5) 595-612.
- Ryals L & Humphries A (2007) Managing Key Business-to-Business Relationships, Journal of Service Research, 9 (4) 312-326.
- Ryals L & Knox S (2007) Measuring and managing customer relationship risk in business markets., Industrial Marketing Management, 36 (6) 823-833.
- Ryals L & Bruce L (2006) Key account management: overcoming internal conflict, Journal of Direct, Data and Digital Marketing Practice, 7 (3) 344-351.
- Ryals L & Pasura A (2006) Pricing for value in ICT, Journal of Targeting, Measurement and Analysis for Marketing, 14 (1) 47-61.
- Ryals L & Bruce L (2006) Getting the best out of KAM, Finance & Management (137) 1-4.
- Ryals L (2006) Profitable relationships with key customers: how suppliers manage pricing and customer risk, Journal of Strategic Marketing, 14 (2) 101-114.
- Ryals L & Rogers B (2006) Holding up the mirror: The impact of strategic procurement practices on account management, Business Horizons, 49 41-50.
- Ryals L & Rogers B (2005) Sales compensation plans - one size does not fit all, Journal of Targeting, Measurement and Analysis for Marketing, 13 (4) 354-362.
- Ryals L & Bruce L (2005) Risk reduction, Sales and Marketing Professional (Jan) 8-10.
- Ryals L (2005) Making customer relationship management work: The measurement and profitable management of customer relationships, Journal of Marketing, 69 (4) 252-261.
- Ryals L & Wilson H (2005) Experimental methods in market research: From information to insight, International Journal of Market Research, 47 (4) 347-366.
- Maklan S, Knox S & Ryals L (2005) Using Real Options to Help Build the Business Case for CRM Investment, Long Range Planning, 38 (4) 393-410.
- Knox S & Ryals L (2005) Measuring Risk-adjusted Customer Lifetime Value and its Impact on Relationship Marketing Strategies and Shareholder Value, European Journal of Marketing, 39 (5/6) 456-472.
- Ryals L & Bruce L (2004) Key account management: 5 common myths dispelled, Market Leader (Winter) 54-57.
- Ryals L & Rogers E (2003) How to deliver wicked CRM, Customer Management (May/June) 34-37.
- Ryals L & Dias S (2003) Evaluating marketing effectiveness, Admap (May) 46-49.
- Ryals L & Rogers E (2003) The real-time enterprise, Destination CRM (Feb).
- Ryals L (2003) Making customers pay: measuring and managing customer risk and returns, Journal of Strategic Marketing, 11 (3) 165-175.
- Ryals L (2003) Creating profitable customers through the magic of data mining., Journal of Targeting, Measurement and Analysis for Marketing, 11 (4) 343-349.
- Ryals L (2002) Are Your Customers Worth More Than Money?, Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 9 (5) 241-251.
- Ryals L (2002) Measuring Risk and Returns in the Customer Portfolio, Journal of Database Marketing and Customer Strategy Management, 9 (3) 219-227.
- Ryals L (2002) From Product-based to Relationship Pricing, Management Quarterly, 17 3-8.
- Dias S & Ryals L (2002) Options theory and options thinking in valuing returns on brand investments and brand extensions, Journal of Product and Brand Management, 11 (2) 115-128.
- Ryals L & Dias S (2001) Using real options to value marketing assets, Brand Finance.
- Ryals L & Payne A (2001) Customer Relationship Management in Financial Services: Towards Information-Enabled Relationship Marketing, Journal of Strategic Marketing, 9 (1) 3-27.
- Ward K & Ryals L (2001) Latest Thinking on Attaching a Financial Value to Marketing Strategy - Through Brands to Valuing Relationships, Journal of Targeting, Measurement and Analysis for Marketing, 9 (4) 327-340.
- Knox S & Ryals L (2001) Cross-functional issues in the implementation of relationship marketing through customer relationship management, European Management Journal, 19 (5) 534-542.
- Ryals L (2000) What are customers worth?, Management Focus (Cranfield), 2000 (15).
- Ryals L & Maklan S (2000) The Business Case for CRM: What IS Needs to Know, CSC Foundation Research Journal.
- Ryals L (2000) Market Research and Information Technology, Management Quarterly.
- Ryals LJ (1999) Creating value through customers, Management Focus (Cranfield), 1999 (13) 9-11.
- Christopher MG & Ryals L (1999) Supply Chain Strategy: Its Impact on Shareholder Value, International Journal of Logistics Management, The, 10 (1) 1-10.
- Ryals L (1998) Your Customers are Always Right - But are they Always Worth It?, Relationship Marketing Journal, 2 (1).
- Ryals L (1997) Sales and Marketing Training: Needs Analysis, Winning Business, 1 (3).
- Abdollahi S, Marcos Cuevas J, Marcos Cuevas J & Ryals L (2012) The skills and competencies of sales leaders: a survey. In: Academy of Marketing Science Annual Conference, New Orleans, 16 May 2012.
- Ryals LJ, Persson A & Dias S (2011) Risk-Adjusted Returns Maximization: An Application of Modern Portfolio Theory to Marketing Resource Management. In: Marketing Strategy Meets Wall Street II Conference, Boston University, 12 May 2011.
- Ryals L & Speakman JI (2011) Sources of Intraorganizational Conflict: A Sales Perspective. In: Academy of Marketing Science Conference 2011, Coral Gables, Florida, 24 May 2011.
- Marcos Cuevas J, Marcos Cuevas J & Ryals L (2011) The changing role of salespeople and consequences for required capabilities: a review and empirical exploration. In: Academy of Marketing Science Conference 2011, Coral Gables, Florida, 24 May 2011.
- Ryals L & Macdonald EK (2011) The domain of sustainable marketing: A framework and research agenda. In: Academy of Marketing Science Conference 2011, Coral Gables, Florida, 24 May 2011.
- Lemmens R, Marcos Cuevas J, Marcos Cuevas J & Ryals L (2011) Selling in the 21st Century: Mapping the Transformations of Selling and Sales Management. In: Sales Management Conference, Paris, 5 May 2011.
- Ryals LJ & Davies I (2010) How Companies Implement KAM: A Four-Stage Model. In: Academy of Marketing Science Conference 2010, Portland, Oregon, 26 May 2010.
- Ryals LJ & Speakman J (2010) When the going gets tough, the tough get dynamic: How key account managers use adaptive behaviour in the management of conflicts. In: Academy of Marketing Science Conference 2010, Portland, Oregon, 26 May 2010.
- Ryals LJ & Rackham N (2010) The Impact of Servitization on Sales: Complex Selling and Sales Opportunity Selection. In: Academy of Marketing Science Conference 2010, Portland, Oregon, 26 May 2010.
- Ryals L & Davies I (2009) What sales people actually do: Observations from live sales incidents. In: Academy of Marketing Science - World Marketing Congress, Oslo.
- Ryals L & Davies I (2008) Strategic intent in key customer/supplier relationships. In: European Marketing Academy Conference, Brighton.
- Maklan S, Knox S, Knox S & Ryals L (2008) The Use of Action Research in Marketing Strategy Development.. In: 37th European Marketing Academy Conference (EMAC 2008), Brighton, 27-30 May 2008.
- Ryals L & Davies I (2007) Implementing KAM successfully: How companies develop great customer relationships. In: Academy of Marketing Conference, Kingston upon Thames.
- Ryals L & Speakman I (2006) Building adaptive capabilities into organisations. In: Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Atlanta.
- Ryals L (2006) Customer profitability - the wrong measure for marketing?. In: Academy of Marketing Conference, London.
- Ryals L & Rodgers B (2005) Strategic plans for key accounts: Benefits, barriers and best practice. In: British Academy of Management Conference, Oxford.
- Ryals L (2003) The loyalty effect and zero defections: are you sure you want to keep your customers forever?. In: Academy of Marketing Science Conference, Washington.
- Knox S, Maklan S & Ryals L (2003) Managing CRM Investments as a Market-Based Asset rather than for Cash Flow. In: Academy of Marketing Conference, Birmingham.
- Ryals LJ (2002) Measuring the Total Value of the Customer. In: 1st Cranfield Research Colloquium, Cranfield.
- Ryals L (2002) CRM: a theoretical model for managing the customer portfolio. In: PMA 2002 Conference, Boston.
- Ryals L (2002) The use of control groups in customer profitability research. In: PMA 2002 Conference, Boston.
- Knox S, Maklan S, Knox S & Ryals L (2002) Developing the metrics of brand loyalty. In: PMA 2002 Conference, Boston.
- Knox S, Maklan S & Ryals L (2002) Consumer purchasing styles and brand loyalty: empirical evidence from product and service markets. In: EMAC 2002 Conference, Braga.
- Maklan S, Knox S & Ryals L (2002) Extending the marketing concept using resource-based theory. In: Academy of Marketing Conference, Nottingham.
- Ryals L (2001) Risk, Returns and the Customer Portfolio. In: Academy of Marketing Conference, Cardiff.
- Ryals L (2000) Operationalisation of PhD. In: EMAC Conference for Business, Rotterdam.
- Ryals L (2000) Operationalisation. In: 1st Cranfield Research Colloquium, Cranfield.
- Knox S, Thompson K & Ryals L (2000) Customer Relationship Management and Marketing Strategy Implementation. In: Academy of Marketing Conference, Derby, 11 July 2000.
- Knox S, Ryals L, Thompson K & Maklan S (2000) Developing Relationship Marketing through the Implementation of Customer Relationship Management Technology. In: IMP 2000 Conference, Bath.
- Ryals L, Abdollahi S, Maklan S & Wilson H (2012) Implementing Sustainable Marketing. In: Cranfield on Corporate Sustainability, Sheffield: Greenleaf, p. 133-148.
- Baines P, Dimitriu R, Knox S, Macdonald E, Marcos Cuevas J, Marcos Cuevas J, Knox S & Ryals L (2012) Issues in sustainable marketing. In: Cranfield on corporate sustainability. Grayson D and Exter N (ed.), Sheffield: Greenleaf Publishing, p. 119-132.
- Ryals L & McDonald M (2008) Key Account Plans: the Practitioners Guide to Profitable Planning. Oxford: Butterworth Heinemann.
- Ryals L (2008) Managing customers profitably. Chicester: Wiley, ed. 1st edition.
- Knox S, Maklan S, Peppard J, Payne A, Knox S & Ryals L (2003) CRM: perspectives from the market place. Oxford: Butterworth Heinemann.
- Knox S & Ryals L (2000) Marketing Management: A Relationship Marketing Perspective. Basingstoke: MacMillan.