Contact Professor Leon Williams
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 758531
- Email: email@example.com
Areas of expertise
Academically trained as a goldsmith with a doctorate from the RCA; his work has been showcased internationally from Universidade do Porto, Portugal; to Galerie Ra, Amsterdam; Milan, Korea and Hong Kong.
He has led as Principal Investigator more than 50 research funded projects and supervised many postgraduate researchers to competition from the RCA/Rochester/Cranfield (at MSc by Research/MPhil/PhD level). He is also the course tutor of the internationally acknowledged Innovation and Creativity MDes by Bloomberg Businessweek.
Dr Leon B. M. Williams is the Director of Centre for Competitive Creative Design (C4D) at Cranfield University with a specialised area of research in Prestige Design and Creative Innovation.
He has a wide knowledge base in 'technology development' but focuses his attention on the ever-changing disciplines that yield high impact for technological change and creative innovation. For this reason, precision engineering, novel materials, craftsmanship techniques and new technology development take high priority within his current research. However, most of his professional consultancy engagement focuses on problem solving for the Fast Moving Consumer Goods (FMCG) sectors, as his research and development processes are valued for being rapid and pragmatic. He focuses on developing design-led strategic tools, creative insight and working solutions to large and small enterprises, simulating ideas whilst bringing them to reality using proven R&D methodologies combined with new rapid development mechanisms.
He has been a consultant for over ten years providing guidance and support to developing FMCG companies. His key skills include:
- Rapid-innovation toolkits (theory and practice)
- Technology readiness level pipelines
- Open Innovation Management workflows
- Technology-led Innovation
- Design for manufacture innovation management best practice
- Digital technology development (concept-to-creation)
- Reverse engineering systems for rapid manufacture
- Design-led insight mechanisms (empathic data collection)
- Client-driven innovation processes
- Craftsmanship and practitioner knowledge exchange
- Innovation strategy and creative business management mechanism
- Precision engineering and rapid technology development
- Creative systems and product optimisation pathways
- Game changing innovation strategies for business growth
- Smart Materials and Processes Design Thinking Practice Technology
- Prototyping Management of Innovation and Technology.
- SABMiller Materials Department
- Housing 21
- Links of London HQ
- Benney Watches Ltd - in conjunction with Faberge Design Orchard
- Royal Mint
- Shadow Robotics
- London Tap Water
- Bombay Sapphire
- Theo Fernell
- Marant Jewellery
- Wind Power Ltd (Grimshaw Architects London HQ)
- V&A (goldsmiths)
- Jaguar Land Rover.
Articles In Journals
- Mercer E, Davey CJ, Campo-Moreno P, Fowler D, Williams L, Kolios A, Parker AH, Tyrrel S, Walton C, Cartmell E, Pidou M & McAdam EJ (2019) Quantification of liquid phase faecal odourants to evaluate membrane technology for wastewater reuse from decentralised sanitation facilities, Environmental Science: Water Research and Technology, 5 (1) 161-171.
- Fidalgo B, Chilmeran M, Somorin T, Sowale A, Kolios A, Parker A, Williams L, Collins M, McAdam EJ & Tyrrel S (2019) Non-isothermal thermogravimetric kinetic analysis of the thermochemical conversion of human faeces, Renewable Energy, 132 (March) 1177-1184.
- Kamranvand F, Davey CJ, Sakar H, Autin O, Mercer E, Collins M, Williams L, Kolios A, Parker A, Tyrrel S, Cartmell E & McAdam EJ (2018) Impact of fouling, cleaning and faecal contamination on the separation of water from urine using thermally driven membrane separation, Separation Science and Technology, 53 (9) 1372-1382.
- Zhu B, Ma Z, Wu N & Williams L (2018) Influence of original manufacturer's patent protection on technological innovation strategy of remanufacturing supply chain, Computer Integrated Manufacturing Systems, 24 (9) 2329-2340.
- Rehman S, Tiwari A, Turner C & Williams L (2018) A framework for innovation outsourcing, International Journal of Business Innovation and Research, 16 (1) 79-111.
- Kolios A, Jiang Y, Somorin T, Sowale A, Anastasopoulou A, Anthony B, Fidalgo Fernandez B, Parker A, McAdam E, Williams L, Collins M & Tyrrel S (2018) Probabilistic performance assessment of complex energy process systems – The case of a self-sustained sanitation system, Energy Conversion and Management, 163 74-85.
- Jurado N, Somorin T, Kolios AJ, Wagland S, Patchigolla K, Fidalgo B, Parker A, McAdam E, Williams L & Tyrrel S (2018) Design and commissioning of a multi-mode prototype for thermochemical conversion of human faeces, Energy Conversion and Management, 163 507-524.
- Sowale A, Kolios A, Fidalgo B, Somorin T, Parker A, Williams L, Collins M, McAdam E & Tyrrel S (2018) Thermodynamic analysis of a gamma type Stirling engine in an energy recovery system, Energy Conversion and Management, 165 528-540.
- Anastasopoulou A, Kolios A, Somorin T, Sowale A, Jiang Y, Fidalgo B, Parker A, Williams L, Collins M, McAdam E & Tyrrel S (2018) Conceptual environmental impact assessment of a novel self-sustained sanitation system incorporating a Quantitative Microbial Risk Assessment approach, Science of the Total Environment, 639 (October) 657-672.
- Jones PM, Lonne Q, Talaia P, Leighton GJT, Botte GG, Mutnuri S & Williams L (2018) A straightforward route to sensor selection for IoT systems, Research-Technology Management, 61 (5) 41-50.
- Wang CY, Mercer E, Kamranvand F, Williams L, Kolios A, Parker A, Tyrrel S, Cartmell E & McAdam EJ (2017) Tube-side mass transfer for hollow fibre membrane contactors operated in the low Graetz range, Journal of Membrane Science, 523 235-246.
- Somorin T, Kolios A, Parker A, McAdam E, Williams L & Tyrrel S (2017) Faecal-wood biomass co-combustion and ash composition analysis, Fuel, 203 781-791.
- Onabanjo T, Patchigolla K, Wagland S, Fidalgo B, Kolios A, McAdam E, Parker A, Williams L, Tyrrel S & Cartmell E (2016) Energy recovery from human faeces via gasification: A thermodynamic equilibrium modelling approach, Energy Conversion and Management, 118 364-376.
- Onabanjo T, Kolios A, Patchigolla K, Wagland ST, Fidalgo B, Jurado N, Hanak DP, Manovic V, Parker A, McAdam E, Williams L, Tyrrel S & Cartmell E (2016) An experimental investigation of the combustion performance of human faeces, Fuel, 184 (November) 780-791.
- Hanak DP, Kolios A, Onabanjo T, Wagland ST, Patchigolla K, Fidalgo B, Manovic V, McAdam E, Parker A, Williams L, Tyrrel S & Cartmell E (2016) Conceptual energy and water recovery system for self-sustained nano membrane toilet, Energy Conversion and Management, 126 352-361.
- Mercer E, Cruddas P, Williams L, Kolios A, Parker A, Tyrrel S, Cartmell E, Pidou M & McAdam EJ (2016) Selection of screw characteristics and operational boundary conditions to facilitate post-flush urine and faeces separation within single household sanitation systems, Environmental Science: Water Research and Technology, 2 (6) 953-964.
- Haines-Gadd M, Hasegawa A, Hooper R, Huck Q, Pabian M, Portillo C, Zheng L, Williams L & McBride A (2015) Cut the crap; Design brief to pre-production in eight weeks: Rapid development of an urban emergency low-tech toilet for Oxfam, Design Studies, 40 (September) 246-268.
- Collins M & Williams L (2014) A three-stage filter for effective technology selection, Research-Technology Management, 57 (3) 36-42.
- Anastasopoulou A, Kolios A, Somorin T, Sowale A, Jiang Y, Fidalgo B, Parker A, Williams L, Collins M, McAdam EJ & Tyrrel S (2018) Probabilistic life cycle assessment of the nano membrane toilet. In: ICWERS 2018: 20th International Conference on Waste-to-Energy Technologies and Sustainability, Rome, 5-6 March 2018.