Areas of expertise
- Water Science and Engineering
From a farming background, Professor Keith Weatherhead graduated in Engineering Science and Economics from Oxford University. After undertaking VSO in Ghana, he worked for international consultants in water resources and irrigation development for seven years, particularly in Indonesia, qualifying as a chartered civil engineer.
He joined Cranfield University in 1981, on the Silsoe and now Cranfield campuses. He gained his PhD on water resource management as a staff member in 2001. He is a Fellow of the Institution of Civil Engineers, the Chartered Institution of Water and Environmental Management, and the Higher Education Academy.
He has developed methodologies for predicting future agricultural water demand and for assessing irrigation water needs, and contributed to the improvement of abstraction licensing policy and legislation in England. He has led teams modelling climate change impacts in England, Sri Lanka and Spain, and assessing the potential adaptations in the irrigated agriculture and irrigated sports turf sectors.
Internationally, he has supervised research into tea and sugar cane irrigation in Africa, small scale irrigation methods, and climate adaptation in the water and sanitation sector.
Professor Keith Weatherhead undertakes research on climate change adaption, future agricultural water demand, and water resources for irrigation. On-going research projects include projects on water trading (EPSRC/LWEC) and current and water supply for agriculture (BBSRC, Defra). He is supervising PhD students researching how to handle uncertainty in climate adaptation, the role for farmer groups in water allocation, and small-scale pumped irrigation in Africa. He works closely with the UK water sector, and is a member of the CIWEM Water Resources Panel, the UK Irrigation Association executive committee, and the NFU-led Water for Food group.
Professor Weatherhead’s current and recent clients include research councils (EPSRC and BBSRC), the European Commission, the UK government sector (Defra and the Environment Agency), various water companies, and commercial businesses in the UK and internationally.
Articles In Journals
- El Chami D, Knox JW, Daccache A & Weatherhead EK (2019) Assessing the financial and environmental impacts of precision irrigation in a humid climate, Horticultural Science (Czech Republic), 46 (1) 43-52.
- Kamwamba-Mtethiwa J, Weatherhead K & Knox JW (2016) Assessing performance of small-scale pumped irrigation systems in Sub-Saharan Africa: evidence from a systematic review, Irrigation and Drainage, 65 (3) 308-318.
- Whaley L & Weatherhead E (2016) Managing water through change and uncertainty: comparing lessons from the adaptive co-management literature to recent policy developments in England, Journal of Environmental Planning and Management, 59 (10) 1775-1794.
- Rey D, Holman I, Daccache A, Morris J, Weatherhead K & Knox J (2016) Modelling and mapping the economic value of supplemental irrigation in a humid climate, Agricultural Water Management, 173 (July) 13-22.
- Henriques C, Garnett K, Weatherhead EK, Lickorish FA, Forrow D & Delgado J (2015) The future water environment – Using scenarios to explore the significant water management challenges in England and Wales to 2050., Science of the Total Environment, 512-513 (April) 381-396.
- El Chami D, Knox JW, Daccache A & Weatherhead EK (2015) The economics of irrigating wheat in a humid climate - A study in the East of England, Agricultural Systems, 133 97-108.
- Daccache A, Knox JW, Weatherhead EK, Daneshkhah A & Hess TM (2015) Implementing precision irrigation in a humid climate - recent experiences and on-going challenges, Agricultural Water Management, 147 (January) 135-143.
- Whaley L & Weatherhead EK (2015) Using the politicized institutional analysis and development framework to analyze (adaptive) comanagement: farming and water resources in England, Ecology and Society, 20 (3) Article No. 43.
- Whaley L & Weatherhead EK (2015) Competition, conflict, and compromise: Three discourses used by irrigators in England and their implications for the co-management of water resources, Water Alternatives, 8 (1) 800-819.
- Watts G, Battarbee RW, Bloomfield JP, Crossman J, Daccache A, Durance I, Elliott JA, Garner G, Hannaford J, Hannah DM, Hess T, Jackson CR, Kay AL, Kernan M, Knox J, Mackay J, Monteith DT, Ormerod SJ, Rance J, Stuart ME, Wade AJ, Wade SD, Weatherhead K, Whitehead PG & Wilby RL (2015) Climate change and water in the UK - past changes and future prospects, Progress in Physical Geography, 39 (1) 6-28.
- Weatherhead K, Knox J, Hess T & Daccache A (2015) Exploring irrigation futures Developments in demand forecasting, Outlook On Agriculture, 44 (2) 119-126.
- Green M & Weatherhead EK (2014) Coping with climate change uncertainty for adaptation planning: An improved criterion for decision making under uncertainty using UKCP09, Climate Risk Management, 1 (C) 63-75.
- Green M & Weatherhead EK (2014) A critical comparison of using a probabilistic weather generator versus a change factor approach: irrigation reservoir planning under climate change, Journal of Water and Climate Change, 5 (1) 13-24.
- Green M & Weatherhead EK (2014) The application of probabilistic climate change projections: a comparison of methods of handling uncertainty applied to UK irrigation reservoir design, Journal of Water and Climate Change, 5 (4) 652-666.
- Green M & Weatherhead EK (2014) Irrigation demand modelling using the UKCP09 weather generator: lessons learned, Journal of Water and Climate Change, 5 (2) 117-127.
- Whaley L & Weatherhead EK (2014) An integrated approach to analyzing (adaptive) co-management using the 'Politicized' IAD Framework, Ecology and Society, 19 (1) Article No. 10.
- Shamal SAM & Weatherhead K (2014) Assessing spectral similarities between rainfed and irrigated croplands in a humid environment for irrigated land mapping, Outlook On Agriculture, 43 (2) 109-114.
- Whaley L & Weatherhead E (2014) An integrated approach to analyzing (Adaptive) comanagement using the "Politicized" IAD framework, Ecology and Society, 19 (1).
- Monaghan J, Daccache A, Vickers L, Hess T, Weatherhead EK, Grove I & Knox JW (2013) More 'crop per drop': constraints and opportunities for precision irrigation in European agriculture., Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, 93 (5) 977-980.
- Knox JW, Kay MG & Weatherhead EK (2012) Water regulation, crop production, and agricultural water management-Understanding farmer perspectives on irrigation efficiency, Agricultural Water Management, 108 3-8.
- Daccache A, Keay C, Jones RJA, Weatherhead K, Stalham MA & Knox JW (2012) Climate change and land suitability for potato production in England and Wales: impacts and adaptation, Journal of Agricultural Science, 150 (2) 161-177.
- Heath TT, Parker AH & Weatherhead EK (2012) Testing a rapid climate change adaptation assessment for water and sanitation providers in informal settlements in three cities in sub-Saharan Africa, Environment and Urbanization, 24 (2) 619-637.
- Chung SO, Rodriguez-Diaz JA, Weatherhead EK & Knox JW (2011) Climate change impacts on water for irrigating paddy rice in South Korea, Irrigation and Drainage, 60 (2) 263-273.
- Rodríguez-Díaz JA, Weatherhead EK, García Morillo J & Knox JW (2011) Benchmarking irrigation water use in golf courses - A case study in Spain, Irrigation and Drainage, 60 (3) 381-392.
- Knox JW, Tyrrel SF, Daccache A & Weatherhead EK (2011) A geospatial approach to assessing microbiological water quality risks associated with irrigation abstraction, Water and Environment Journal, 25 (2) 282-289.
- Daccache A, Weatherhead EK, Stalham MA & Knox JW (2011) Impacts of climate change on irrigated potato production in a humid climate, Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 151 (12) 1641-1653.
- Daccache A, Weatherhead EK & Lamaddalena N (2010) Climate change and the performance of pressurized irrigation water distribution networks under Mediterranean conditions: Impacts and adaptations, Outlook On Agriculture, 39 (4) 277-283.
- Al-Ismaili AM, Weatherhead EK & Badr O (2010) Validation of Halasz's non-dimensional model using cross-flow evaporative coolers used in greenhouses, Biosystems Engineering, 107 (2) 86-96.
- Knox JW, Rodriguez-Diaz JA, Weatherhead EK & Kay MG (2010) Development of a water-use strategy for horticulture in England and Wales - a case study, Journal of Horticultural Science and Biotechnology, 85 (2) 89-93.
- Tompkins EL, Adger WN, Boyd E, Nicholson-Cole S, Weatherhead K & Arnell N (2010) Observed adaptation to climate change: UK evidence of transition to a well-adapting society, Global Environmental Change, 20 (4) 627-635.
- Knox J, Weatherhead K, Diaz JR & Kay M (2009) Developing a strategy to improve irrigation efficiency in a temperate climate A case study in England, Outlook On Agriculture, 38 (4) 303-309.
- Dinnis C, Curry A, Weatherhead K & Jeffrey P (2009) Resource scenarios for England and Wales: shaping planning for the 2050s, Water21, 11 (2) 21-24.
- Weatherhead EK & Howden NJK (2009) The relationship between land use and surface water resources in the UK, Land Use Policy, 26 S243-S250.
- Rodriguez-Diaz J, Weatherhead EK, Knox JW & Camacho E (2007) Climate change impacts on irrigation water requirements in the Guadalquivir river basin in Spain, Regional Environmental Change, 7 (3) 149-159.
- De Silva CS, Weatherhead EK, Knox JW & Rodriguez-Diaz JA (2007) Predicting the impacts of climate change - A case study of paddy irrigation water requirements in Sri Lanka, Agricultural Water Management, 93 (1-2) 19-29.
- Rodriguez Daz JA, Knox JW & Weatherhead EK (2007) Uso del indicador agroclimatico PSMD para la representacion y evaluacion del impacto del cambio climatico en las necesidades de agua de reigo en Espana., Ingeniería del agua, 13 (4) 311-319.
- Moeller M & Weatherhead EK (2007) Evaluating Drip Irrigation in Commercial Tea Production in Tanzania., Irrigation and Drainage Systems, 21 (1) 17-34.
- Knox JW, Weatherhead EK & Ioris A A R (2007) Assessing water requirements for irrigated agriculture in Scotland, Water International, 32 (1) 133-144.
- Rodriguez-Diaz J, Knox JW & Weatherhead EK (2007) Competing demands for irrigation water: golf and agriculture in Spain, Irrigation and Drainage, 56 (1) 1-9.
- De Silva C, Weatherhead E, Knox J & Rodriguez-Diaz J (2007) Predicting the impacts of climate change-A case study of paddy irrigation water requirements in Sri Lanka, Agricultural Water Management, 93 (1-2) 19-29.
- Rodriguez-Diaz JA, Knox JW & Weatherhead EK (2006) Caracterizacion de la demanda de agua de riego para campos de golf en Espana., Riegos y drenajes XXI (149) 34-39.
- Tyrrel SF, Knox JW & Weatherhead EK (2006) Microbiological water quality requirements for salad irrigation in the United Kingdom, Journal of Food Protection, 69 (8) 2029-2035.
- Kulecho IK & Weatherhead EK (2006) Adoption and experience of low-cost drip irrigation in Kenya, Irrigation and Drainage, 55 (4) 435-444.
- Kulecho I K & Weatherhead EK (2006) Adoption and experience of low cost drip irrigation in Kenya, Irrigation and Drainage, 55 (4) 435-444.
- Kulecho I K & Weatherhead EK (2006) Issues of irrigation of horticultural crops by small holder farmers in Kenya, Irrigation and Drainage Systems, 20.
- Kulecho I K & Weatherhead EK (2005) Reasons for smallholder farmers discontinuing with low-cost micro-irrigation: a case study from Kenya., Irrigation and Drainage Systems, 19 (2).
- Knox JW & Weatherhead EK (2005) The growth of trickle irrigation in England and Wales: Data, regulation and water resource impacts, Irrigation and Drainage, 54 (2) 135-143.
- Knox JW, Morris J, Weatherhead EK & Turner AP (2000) Mapping the financial benefits of sprinkler irrigation and potential financial impact of restrictions on abstraction: A case-study in Anglian Region, Journal of Environmental Management, 58 (1) 45-59.
- Weatherhead EK & Knox JW (2000) Predicting and mapping the future demand for irrigation water in England and Wales, Agricultural Water Management, 43 (2) 203-218.
- Knox JW & Weatherhead EK (1999) The application of GIS to irrigation water resource management in England and Wales, Geographical Journal, 165 (1) 90-98.
- Carter RC, Kay M G & Weatherhead EK (1999) Water losses in smallholder irrigation schemes, Agricultural Water Management, 40 (1) 15-24.
- Knox JW, Weatherhead EK & Bradley RI (1997) Mapping the total volumetric irrigation water requirements in England and Wales, Agricultural Water Management, 33 (1) 1-18.
- De Silva C S & Weatherhead EK (1997) Optimising the dimensions of agrowells in hard-rock aquifers in Sri Lanka, Agricultural Water Management, 33 (2-3) 117-126.
- Weatherhead EK & Knox JW (1997) Peak demands from spray irrigation, Water and Environment Journal, 11 (4) 305-309.
- Knox JW, Weatherhead EK & Bradley RI (1996) Mapping the spatial distribution of volumetric irrigation water requirements for maincrop potatoes in England and Wales, Agricultural Water Management, 31 (1-2) 1-15.
- Weatherhead EK (1994) Modelling irrigation by hosereels and rainguns, Aspects of Applied Biology, 38 263-268.
- Richards PJ & Weatherhead EK (1993) Prediction of raingun application patterns in windy conditions, Journal of Agricultural Engineering Research, 54 (4) 281-291.
- Afzal J, Noble D H & Weatherhead EK (1992) Optimisation model for alternative use of different quality irrigation waters, Journal of Irrigation and Drainage Engineering, 118 (2) 218-228.
- Afzal J, Noble DH & Weatherhead EK (1992) Optimization model for alternative use of different quality irrigation waters, Journal of Irrigation and Drainage Engineering, 118 (2) 218-228.
- Islam MJ, Weatherhead EK & Leed-Harrison PB (1988) Percolation losses for different irrigation intervals in cracking clay soil under wheat cultivation., Bangladesh Journal of Agriculture, 13 (3) 163-170.
- Shamal S, Weatherhead E & Knox J (2008) Difficulties in using spectral properties to map irrigated areas in a temperate climate: A case study of potatoes in England. In: 29th Asian Conference on Remote Sensing 2008 (ACRS 2008), Colombo, 10 November 2008.
- Knox JW, Rodriguez-Diaz JA, Weatherhead EK & Marmol JP (2006) Using water auditing to assess irrigation efficiency: a comparative assessment of trickle, sprinkler and rain-guns on potatoes in Scotland. In: International symposium on water and land management for sustainable irrigated agriculture, Cukurova University Turkey, Cukurova University, Adana, Turkey, 4 April 2006.
- Rodriguez-Diaz JA, Knox JW & Weatherhead EK (2006) Demanda de agua de riego para campos de golf. In: XXIV Congreso Nacional de Riegos (24th Spanish ICID Congress), Lugo, Spain, 6 June 2006.
- De Vries TT & Weatherhead EK (2005) Adapting to irrigation water scarcity due to climate change in eastern England. In: Impacts of Global Climate Change, EWRI 2005 World Water & Environmental Resources Congress, Alaska, Anchorage, Alaska, 1-5 May 2005.
- Knox JW & Weatherhead EK (2005) Using water auditing to assess irrigation efficiency: a comparative assessment of trickle, sprinkler and rain-guns for potato production in the UK. In: US 26th Annual Irrigation Association Show (Technical Session), Arizona, Arizona, USA, 6 November 2005.
- Morris J, Vasileiou K, Weatherhead EK, Knox JW & Leiva-Baron F (2003)
The sustainability of irrigation in England and the impact of water pricing and regulation policy options. In: International Conference on Computing and Control for the Water Industry, London, 15-17 September 2003.
- Weatherhead EK (2002) Irrigation water resources in the UK - the way forward.. In: UK Irrigation Association 2002 Spring Conference, UK, 1 July 2002.
- Knox JW, Weatherhead EK & Hess TM (2001) Integrating spatial data, GIS and a computer model to improve the management and planning of water resources for irrigated agriculture in England and Wales. In: International workshop on geo-spatial knowledge processing for natural resources management, Varese, Italy, 28 June 2001.
- Twite C L, Morris J, Weatherhead EK & Knox JW (2001) Agricultura de regadýo en el Reino Unido e implicaciones de la directiva marco de agua. In: International seminar on La agricultura de regado Europea y la directiva marco de aguas, Madrid Spain, March 2001, Madrid, Spain, 27 March 2001.
- Weatherhead EK (1999) Making the most of an essential resource. In: On the Level: newspaper of the Value in Wetness in the Humberhead Levels Conference., UK, 1 February 1999.
- Grose D J, Parkin C S & Weatherhead EK (1998) Modelling a multi-phase plume in a cross-flow - an agricultural application. In: In A.J. Yule, ed: Proceedings of the 14th international conference on liquid atomization and spray systems, 1 July 1998.
- Weatherhead EK (1996) Theory and practice in water allocation. In: In: P. Howsam & R.C. Carter, eds. Water Policy: Allocation and Management in Practice: proceedings of International Conference, Cranfield, September 1996, Cranfield, 1 September 1996.
- Kanber R, Onder S, Koksal H & Weatherhead EK (1994) Comparison of surge and continuous furrow methods in GAP (Southeastern Anatolia Project) area.. In: Proceedings of International Conference on Agricultural Engineering, Milan, Italy, 1 August 1994.
- DeSilva CS & Weatherhead EK (1994) The use of large diameter wells for supplementary irrigation in the dry zone of Sri Lanka. In: Water down under 94: proceedings of conference., Adelaide, Australia, 1 November 1994.
- Afzal J & Weatherhead EK (1991) Optimising the alternative use of different quality waters for irrigation. In: G. Tsakiris, ed. Advances in Water Resource Technology: proceedings of the European conference. , Netherlands, 1 July 1991.
- Weatherhead EK, Hipperson KR & Musa SM (1989) The potential for developing hosereel raingun irrigators. In: E. K Weatherhead, ed. Advances in Irrigation: proceedings of 2nd Northwest European Irrigation Conference, Silsoe 1987. UKIA, Cranfield Press, UK, 1 July 1989.
- Weatherhead EK (1988) Distribution of water from hosereel irrigators. In: Presented to the 1938-1988 Jubilee Conference of the Institution of Agricultural Engineers, Cambridge. London: Butterworths, UK, 1 July 1988.
- Morris J, Ahodo K, Weatherhead EK, Daccache A & Knox JW (2014) Economics of rainfed and irrigated potato production in a humid environment. Economics of Water Management in Agriculture. In: Economics of Water Management in Agriculture, Hoboken: CRC Press, p. 71-97.
- Hess TM, Knox JW, Kay MG & and Weatherhead EK (2010) Managing the Water Footprint of Irrigated Food Production in England and Wales. In: Sustainable Water, UK: Royal Society of Chemistry, p. 78-92, ed. 1st.
- Díaz J, Weatherhead E, Knox J & Camacho E (2009) Consequences of climate change on irrigation water requirements in Southern Spain.. In: Climate Variability, Modeling Tools and Agricultural Decision-Making, Nova Science Publishers, Inc., p. 203-212.
- Knox JW, Shamal SAM, Weatherhead EK & Rodriguez-Diaz JA (2009) The challenges of mapping irrigated areas in a temperate climate: experiences from England.. In: Remote Sensing of Global Croplands for Food Security. Thenkabail PS, Lyon JG, Turral H, Biradar CM (ed.), Boca Raton: CRC Press, p. 237-249.