Contact Professor Keith Mason
Areas of expertise
- Aviation Management & Operations
BackgroundKeith Mason completed his Bachelor's degree in Business and Marketing in 1990. In 1995, he completed his PhD on the marketing of short haul business travel services which he did in association with Air UK. He joined Cranfield University in 1998. His research focuses on the business travel market, and in understanding the elements of an airline's business model that leads to success.
Current activitiesKeith Mason has more than 20 years experience in developing and undertaking research for airlines, airports, governments, civil aviation directorates, and air transport industry organisations. He lectures in air transport economics, airline business models and airline marketing to graduate students.
He is a Fellow of the Royal Aeronautical Society, a member of the Executive Committee of the Air Transport Research Society, and is on the Editorial Boards of the Journal of Air Transport Management, Transportation Studies and the Journal of Air Transport Studies.
Dedicated short course clients include:
- Singapore Airlines
- Turkish Airlines
- British Airways
- Birmingham Airport
- European Consortium on Advanced Traning in Aerospace
- Singapore Aviation Academy.
- European Commission
- Omega Partnership
- Asssociation of Corporate Travel Executives
- Nyras Capital
- UK CAA
- Malaysian Airports Berhad
Articles In Journals
- Sezgen E, Mason K & Mayer R (2019) Voice of airline passenger: a text mining approach to understand customer satisfaction, Journal of Air Transport Management, 77 (June) 65-74.
- Morrison WG & Mason K (2016) Low cost carriers in the Middle East and North Africa: Prospects and strategies, Research in Transportation Business and Management, 21 (December) 54-67.
- Itani N, O'Connell JF & Mason K (2015) Towards realizing best-in-class civil aviation strategy scenarios, Transport Policy, 43 (October) 42-54.
- Fageda X, Suau-Sanchez P & Mason KJ (2015) The evolving low-cost business model: Network implications of fare bundling and connecting flights in Europe, Journal of Air Transport Management, 42 (January) 289-296.
- Laming C & Mason K (2014) Customer Experience – an analysis of the concept and its performance in airline brands, Research in Transportation Business and Management, 10 (April) 15-25.
- Itani N, O'Connell, JF & Mason K (2014) A macro-environment approach to civil aviation strategic planning, Transport Policy, 33 (May) 125-135.
- Lenartowicz M, Mason K & Foster A (2013) Mergers and Acquisitions in the EU low cost carrier market. A Product and Organisation Architecture (POA) approach to identify potential merger partners., Journal of Air Transport Management, 33 3-11.
- Ryley T, Elmirghani J, Budd T, Miyoshi C, Mason K, Moxon R, Ahmed I, Qazi B & Zanni A (2013) Sustainable development and airport surface access: the role of technological innovation and behavioural change, Sustainability, 5 (4) 1617-1631.
- Miyoshi C & Mason K (2013) The damage cost of carbon dioxide emissions produced by passengers on airport surface access: the case of Manchester Airport, Journal of Transport Geography, 28 137-143.
- Itani N, O'Connell J & Mason K (2013) The impact of emigrants' homeland relations on air travel demand in a security volatile market: a case study on Lebanon, Journal of Transport Geography, 30 170-179.
- Chacon J & Mason K (2011) An analysis of the relationship between passenger loyalty and consumer buying behaviour for network and low-cost carriers, Transportation Journal, 50 (3) 271-290.
- Miyoshi C & Mason KJ (2009) The carbon emissions of selected airlines and aircraft types in three geographic markets, Journal of Air Transport Management, 15 (3) 138-147.
- Mason KJ & Morrison WG (2008) Towards a means of consistently comparing airline business models and an application to the Low Cost Airline sector, Research in Transportation Economics, 24 (1) 75-84.
- Mason Keith J & Morrison William G (2008) Towards a means of consistently comparing airline business models with an application to the `low cost' airline sector, Research in Transportation Economics, 24 (1) 75-84.
- Iatrou K & Mason K (2008) Airline Choices for the Future: From Alliances to Mergers, International Review of Aerospace Engineering, 1 (2) 286-296.
- Mason KJ (2007) Airframe manufacturers: Which has the better view of the future?, Journal of Air Transport Management, 13 (1) 9-15.
- Mason KJ & Alamdari F (2007) EU network carriers, low cost carriers and consumer behaviour: A Delphi study of future trends, Journal of Air Transport Management, 13 (5) 299-310.
- Mason Keith (2006) The value and usage of ticket flexibility for short haul business travellers., Journal of Air Transport Management, 12 (2) 92-97.
- Alamdari FEN & Mason KJ (2006) The Future of Airline Distribution, Journal of Air Transport Management, 12 (3) 122-134.
- Mason KJ (2006) The Value and Usage of Ticket Flexibility for Short Haul Business Travellers, Journal of Air Transport Management, 12 (2) 92-97.
- Kalligiannis K, Iatrou K & Mason K (2006) How do airlines perceive that strategic airline alliances affect their individual branding?, Journal of Air Transportation, 11 (2) 3-21.
- Kalligiannis K, Iatrou K & Mason K A Questionnaire Survey on the Airlines Perception of the Alliance Brands Impact on their brands, Aerlines Magazine (32) 1-4.
- Mason KJ (2005) Observations of a Fundamental Change in the Demand for Aviation Services., Journal of Air Transport Management, 11 19-25.
- Mason KJ (2005) Observations of fundamental changes in the demand for aviation services, Journal of Air Transport Management, 11 (1) 19-25.
- Mason KJ (2004) How important is ticket flexibility really necessary for business travellers?, Airports International, Online.
- Mason KJ (2002) Future Trends in Business Travel Decision Making, Journal of Air Transportation, 7 (1) 47-68.
- Mason Keith (2001) Marketing low cost airline services to business travellers., Journal of Air Transport Management, 7 (2) 103-109.
- Mason KJ (2001) Marketing Low Cost Airlines to Business Travellers, Journal of Air Transport Management, 7 (2) 103-109.
- Mason KJ (2000) The Propensity for Business Travellers to use Short Haul, Low Cost Airlines, Journal of Transport Geography, 8 (2) 107-119.
- Mason KJ & Gray R (1999) Stakeholders in the Hybrid Market: The Example of the Air Business Passenger Travel, European Journal of Marketing, 33 (9/10) 844-858.
- Cullinane KPB, Mason KJ & Cape M (1999) A Comparison of Models for Forecasting the Baltic Freight Index: Box-Jenkins Revisited, International Journal of Maritime Economics, 1 15-39.
- Mason KJ (1999) Business Travel - Just how much control do employers have?, Avmark Aviation Economist, 16 (6) 10-12.
- Mason KJ (1999) The Effect of Corporate Influence in the Short Haul Business Travel Market, Journal of Air Transportation, 4 (2) 66-83.
- Mason KJ & Gray R (1995) Short Haul Business Travel in the European Union: A Segmentation Profile, Journal of Air Transport Management, 2 (3-4).
- Mason KJ & Gray R (1991) The liberalisation of civil aviation in the European Community, European Research Studies Journal (July) 11-14.
- Mason KJ Is the "Gateway" Concept useful of relevant to the Passenger Aviation Market?.