Contact Professor Karl Jenkins
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 758227
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Areas of expertise
- Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Computing, Simulation & Modelling
Dr Jenkins gained a PhD from the University of Manchester which focused on computational and experimental water waves breaking interacting with coastal structures. This expertise in CFD and High Performance Computing was extended in a post-doctoral position at Cambridge University as the Sir Arthur Marshall Research Fellow where he studied turbulent combustion using Direct Numerical Simulation.
Dr Jenkins has published over 60 papers and has won the Gaydon prize for the most significant paper contribution at a leading symposium on combustion held in Chicago. He is a member of the United Kingdom Consortium on Turbulent Reacting Flows (UKCTRF). He has been invited to give numerous international and domestic seminars and to participate as a discussion panel member at international HPC DNS/LES conferences in the US.
Dr Jenkins has also worked in industry for Allot and Lomax Consulting Engineers and Davy Distington Ltd, working on various commercial CFD codes and training engineers in their use. He has worked on adaptive parallel grid techniques, and has developed parallel codes for academic use and for blue chip companies such as Rolls Royce plc. He has also been actively involved in one of the Cambridge regional e-Science centre projects entitled Grid Technology for Distance CFD.
- Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD)
- High Performance Computing
- Large Data
- Computational Finance.
Dr Jenkins is the MSc Programme Director for:
- MSc in Computational and Software Techniques in Engineering
- MSc in Computational Fluid Dynamics
- MSc in Aerospace Computational Engineering
- Rolls Royce
- Tata Steel
Articles In Journals
- Zeng K, Li Z, Rana ZA & Jenkins KW (2021) Implicit large eddy simulations of turbulent flow around a square cylinder at Re=22,000, Computers and Fluids, 226 (August) Article No. 105000.
- Townsend JF, Könözsy L & Jenkins KW (2020) On the development of a rotated-hybrid HLL/HLLC approximate Riemann solver for relativistic hydrodynamics, Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, 496 (2) 2493-2505.
- Bagul P, Rana ZA, Jenkins KW & Könözsy L (2020) Computational engineering analysis of external geometrical modifications on the MQ-1 unmanned combat aerial vehicle, Chinese Journal of Aeronautics, 33 (4) 1154-1165.
- Teschner T-R, Könözsy L & Jenkins KW (2019) A generalised and low-dissipative multi-directional characteristics-based scheme with inclusion of the local Riemann problem investigating incompressible flows without free-surfaces, Computer Physics Communications, 239 (June) 283-310.
- Teschner TR, Könözsy L & Jenkins KW (2018) Predicting non-linear flow phenomena through different characteristics-based schemes, Aerospace, 5 (1) Article No. 22.
- Jadhav S, Hongmei H & Jenkins K (2018) Information gain directed genetic algorithm wrapper feature selection for credit rating, Applied Soft Computing, 69 (August) 541-553.
- Simmonds N, Tsoutsanis P, Antoniadis AF, Jenkins KW & Gaylard A (2018) Low-Mach number treatment for finite-volume schemes on unstructured meshes, Applied Mathematics and Computation, 336 (November) 368-393.
- Singh D, Antoniadis AF, Tsoutsanis P, Shin H-S, Tsourdos A, Mathekga S & Jenkins KW (2018) A multi-fidelity approach for aerodynamic performance computations of formation flight, Aerospace, 5 (2) Article No. 66.
- Tsoutsanis P, Antoniadis AF & Jenkins KW (2018) Improvement of the computational performance of a parallel unstructured WENO finite volume CFD code for implicit large eddy simulation, Computers and Fluids, 173 (September) 157-170.
- Gawryszewski K, Rana ZA, Jenkins KW, Ioannou P & Okonkwo D (2018) An automatic image analysis methodology for the measurement of droplet size distributions in liquid–liquid dispersion: round object detection, International Journal of Computers and Applications, 41 (5) 329-342.
- Witwit W, Zhao Y, Jenkins K & Addepalli S (2018) Global motion based video super-resolution reconstruction using discrete wavelet transform, Multimedia Tools and Applications, 77 (20) 27641-27660.
- Witwit W, Zhao Y, Jenkins K & Zhao Y (2017) Satellite image resolution enhancement using discrete wavelet transform and new edge-directed interpolation, Journal of Electronic Imaging, 26 (2) Article No. 23014.
- Sakellariou K, Rana ZA & Jenkins KW (2017) Optimisation of the surfboard fin shape using computational fluid dynamics and genetic algorithms, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part P: Journal of Sports Engineering and Technology, 231 (4) 344-354.
- Teschner TR, Könözsy L & Jenkins KW (2016) Progress in particle-based multiscale and hybrid methods for flow applications, Microfluidics and Nanofluidics, 20 (4) Article No. 68.
- Witwit W, Zhao Y, Jenkins K & Zhao Y (2016) An optimal factor analysis approach to improve the wavelet-based image resolution enhancement techniques, Global Journal of Computer Science and Technology : F Graphics & Vision, 16 (3).
- Jadhav S, He H & Jenkins K (2016) An academic review: applications of data mining techniques in finance industry, International Journal of Soft Computing and Artificial Intelligence, 4 (1) 79-95.
- Gilliland T, Ranga Dinesh KKJ, Fairweather M, Falle SAEG, Jenkins KW & Savill AM (2012) External Intermittency Simulation in Turbulent Round Jets, Flow, Turbulence and Combustion, 89 (3) 385-406.
- Dinesh KKJR, Jenkins KW, Savill AM & Kirkpatrick MP (2012) Mixing, intermittency and large eddy simulation of a turbulent round jet, Progress in Computational Fluid Dynamics, An International Journal, 12 (5) 342-352.
- Ranga Dinesh KKJ, Jenkins KW, Kirkpatrick MP & Malalasekera W (2012) Effects of swirl on intermittency characteristics in non-premixed flames, Combustion Science and Technology, 184 (5) 629-659.
- Riley MJW, Peachey T, Abramson D & Jenkins KW (2012) Multi-objective engineering shape optimization using differential evolution interfaced to the Nimrod/O tool, IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, 10 (1) Article No. 012189.
- Dinesh KKJR, Jenkins KW, Savill AM & Kirkpatrick MP (2012) Swirl effects on external intermittency in turbulent jets, International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow, 33 (1) 193-206.
- Breckon TP, Jenkins KW & Sonkoly P (2011) Realizing perceptive virtual reality imaging applications on conventional PC hardware, Imaging Science Journal, 59 (1) 1-7.
- Ranga Dinesh KKJ, Kirkpatrick MP & Jenkins KW (2010) Investigation of the influence of swirl on a confined coannular swirl jet, Computers and Fluids, 39 (5) 756-767.
- Dinesh KKJR, Jenkins KW, Kirkpatrick MP & Malalasekera W (2010) Modelling of instabilities in turbulent swirling flames, Fuel, 89 (1) 10-18.
- Prentner S, Allen DM, Larcombe L, Marson S, Jenkins K & Saumer M (2010) Effects of channel surface finish on blood flow in microfluidic devices, Microsystem Technologies, 16 (7) 1091-1096.
- Riley Mike, Jenkins Karl & Thompson Christopher (2010) A Study of Early Stopping, Ensembling and Patchworking for Cascade Correlation Neural Networks, IAENG International Journal of Applied Mathematics, 40 (4) 1-10.
- Dinesh KKJR, Jenkins KW, Savill AM & Kirkpatrick MP (2010) Influence of Bluff-Body and Swirl on Mixing and Intermittency of Jets, Engineering Applications of Computational Fluid Mechanics, 4 (3) 374-386.
- Dinesh KKJR, Savill AM, Jenkins KW & Kirkpatrick MP (2010) A study of mixing and intermittency in a coaxial turbulent jet, Fluid Dynamics Research, 42 (2) 1-20.
- Dinesh KKJR, Savill AM, Jenkins KW & Kirkpatrick MP (2010) Large Eddy Simulation of a turbulent swirling coaxial jet, Progress in Computational Fluid Dynamics, An International Journal, 10 (2) 88-99.
- Dinesh KKJR, Savill AM, Jenkins KW & Kirkpatrick MP (2010) LES of intermittency in a turbulent round jet with different inlet conditions, Computers and Fluids, 39 (9) 1685-1695.
- Dunstan TD & Jenkins KW (2009) The effects of hydrogen substitution on turbulent premixed methane-air kernels using direct numerical simulation, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 34 (19) 8389-8404.
- Dunstan TD & Jenkins KW (2009) Flame surface density distribution in turbulent flame kernels during the early stages of growth, Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, 32 (1) 1427-1434.
- Dinesh KKJR, Jenkins KW, Kirkpatrick MP & Malalasekera W (2009) Identification and analysis of instability in non-premixed swirling flames using LES, Combustion Theory and Modelling, 13 (6) 947-971.
- Hult J, Gashi S, Chakraborty N, Klein M, Jenkins KW, Cant S & Kaminski CF (2007) Measurement of flame surface density for turbulent premixed flames using PLIF and DNS, Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, 31 (1) 1319-1326.
- Klein M, Chakraborty N, Jenkins K & Cant R (2006) Effects of initial radius on the propagation of premixed flame kernals in a turbulent environment, Physics of Fluids, 18 (5) Article No. 055102 102-115.
- Jenkins KW, Klein M, Chakraborty N & Cant RS (2006) Effects of strain rate and curvature on the propagation of a spherical flame kernel in the thin-reaction-zones regime, Combustion and Flame, 145 (1-2) 415-434.
- Yang X, Hayes M, Jenkins KW & Cant S (2005) The Cambridge CFD grid for large-scale dsitributed CFD applications, Future Generation Computer Systems, 21 (1) 45-51.
- Gashi S, Hult J, Jenkins KW, Chakraborty N, Cant S & Kaminski CF (2005) Curvature and wrinkling of premixed flame kernels-comparisons of OH PLIF and DNS data, Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, 30 (1) 809-817.
- Jenkins KW & Cant RS (2002) Curvature effects on flame kernels in a turbulent environment, Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, 29 (2) 2023-2029.
- Wasnaa Witwita, Yitian Zhaob, Jian Yangb, Karl Jenkins & Yifan Zhaoa A new performance assessment approach for wavelet-based still image super resolution techniques, Multidimensional Systems and Signal Processing.
- Figueroa-González A, Oliveira J, Teschner T-R, Könözsy L, Moulitsas I & Jenkins KW (2018) Validation of an in-house lattice Boltzmann solver for a multiphase flow application. In: 6th European Conference on Computational Mechanics (ECCM 6) and 7th European Conference on Computational Fluid Dynamics (ECFD 7), Glasgow, 11-15 June 2018.
- Teschner TR, Könözsy L & Jenkins KW (2017) A Three-Stage Algorithm for Solving Incompressible Flow Problems. In: MultiScience - XXXI. microCAD :International Multidisciplinary Scientific Conference, Miskolc, 20-21 April 2017.
- Simmonds N, Pitman J, Tsoutsanis P, Jenkins K, Gaylard A & Jansen W (2017) Complete body aerodynamic study of three vehicles. In: WCX17: SAE World Congress Experience, Detroit, 4-6 April 2017.
- Teschner T-R, Könözsy L & Jenkins KW (2016) Numerical investigation of an incompressible flow over a backward facing step using a unified fractional step, artificial compressibility and pressure projection (ESAC-PP) method. In: microCAD International Multidisciplinary Scientific Conference, 2016, Miskolc, 21-22 April 2016.
- Klajbar C, Könözsy L & Jenkins KW (2016) A modified SSG/LRR-omega Reynolds stress model for predicting bluff body aerodynamics. In: ECCOMAS Congress 2016 VII European Congress on Computational Methods in Applied Sciences and Engineering, Crete, 5-10 June 2016.
- Jadhav S, He H & Jenkins K (2015) Prediction of earnings per share for industry. In: 7th International Joint Conference on Knowledge Discovery, Knowledge Engineering and Knowledge Management (IC3K), 2015, Lisbon, 12-14 November 2014.
- Riley MJW, Thompson CP & Jenkins KW (2010) Improving the performance of cascade correlation neural networks on multimodal functions. In: 2010 World congress on engineering (WCE 2010), London, 30 June - 2 July 2010.
- Dinesh R, Jenkins K & Kirkpatrick M (2009) Les of turbulent swirling jets: Study of jet precession, recirculation and vortex breakdown.
- Dinesh R, Jenkins K & Kirkpatrick M (2009) Simulations of unsteady oscillations in turbulent non-premixed swirling flames.
- Kipouros T, Molinari M, Dawes WN, Parks GT, Savill AM & Jenkins KW (2007) An investigation of the potential for enhancing the computational turbomachinery design cycle using surrogate models and high performance parallelisation. In: ASME Turbo Expo 2007: Power for Land, Sea, and Air (GT2007), Montreal, Québec, 14-17 May 2007.
- Lange M (2002) Direct numerical simulation of turbulent flame kernels using HPC. In: High Performance Computing in Science and Engineering ’01, Unknown.