Contact Professor John Ahmet Erkoyuncu
Areas of expertise
- Computing, Simulation & Modelling
- Throughlife Engineering Services
Prof. Erkoyuncu previously worked as a Senior Lecturer in Digital Service Engineering. His research focused on: 1) augmented reality applications in manufacturing and maintenance and 2) modelling maintenance requirements.
Prior to becoming a Senior Lecturer and Lecturer, as Research Fellow, John was based at Rolls-Royce, Derby. In this role he developed a software tool to trade-off the design requirements (e.g. unit cost, emission, noise). Prof. Erkoyuncu was also involved in an EU funded infrastructure project on visualisation. His responsibility focused on implementing augmented reality.
John’s PhD focused on how to quantify the impact
of uncertainty when estimating the cost of maintenance. His PhD was conducted
in collaboration with BAE Systems, Rolls-Royce and MoD. The project focused on
the bidding stage of availability based contracts.
Prof. Erkoyuncu is Head of the Centre for Digital Engineering and Manufacturing. In parallel to his research interests, the Centre focuses on: 1) digitalisation of manufacturing processes, 2) complex systems and optimisation, 3) digital twins and AI, and 4)virtual and augmented reality. John is a Professor of Digital Engineering. John is active with Innovate UK and EPSRC funded projects.
Prof. Erkoyuncu is currently co-supervising eight PhD projects; which are all co-funded by industry. The projects are focused on enhancing
predictability of complex maintenance, improving efficiency of
manufacturing and maintenance within the defence, aerospace, pharmaceutical, rail, health and automotive sectors. John is a Chartered Engineer, Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, a former Chair of the CIRP Research Affiliates (2018-2019) and a Member
of IET. Professor Erkoyuncu is an Associate Fellow of CIRP.
- BABCOCK International
- BAE Systems
- Fisher BioServices
- Network Rail
Articles In Journals
- Grenyer A, Erkoyuncu JA, Zhao Y & Roy R (2021) A systematic review of multivariate uncertainty quantification for engineering systems, CIRP Journal of Manufacturing Science and Technology, 33 (May) 188-208.
- Schwabe O, Bilge P, Hoessler A, Tunc T, Gaspar D, Price N, Sharir L, Pasher E, Erkoyuncu J, de Almeida NM, Formica P, Schneider L, Dietrich F & Shehab E (2021) A maturity model for rapid diffusion of innovation in high value manufacturing, Procedia CIRP, 96, 195-200.
- Farsi M & Erkoyuncu JA (2021) An agent-based model for flexible customization in product-service systems, Procedia CIRP, 96 (21) 39-44.
- Grenyer A, Schwabe O, Erkoyuncu JA & Zhao Y (2021) Dynamic multistep uncertainty prediction in spatial geometry, Procedia CIRP, 96 74-79. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.12906716
- Singh S, Shehab E, Higgins N, Fowler K, Erkoyuncu JA & Gadd P (2021) Towards information management framework for digital twin in aircraft manufacturing, Procedia CIRP, 96 163-168.
- Farsi M & Erkoyuncu JA (2021) An agent-based approach to quantify the uncertainty in product-service system contract decisions: A case study in the machine tool industry, International Journal of Production Economics, 233 (March) Article No. 108014. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.11926425
- Grenyer A, Dinmohammadi F, Erkoyuncu JA, Zhao Y & Roy R (2020) Current practice and challenges towards handling uncertainty for effective outcomes in maintenance, Procedia CIRP, 86 282-287.
- Yazdani Nezhad H, Wang X, Court SD, Thapa B & Erkoyuncu JA (2020) Development of an augmented reality equipped composites bonded assembly and repair for aerospace applications, IFAC-PapersOnLine, 53 (3) 209-215.
- Williams R, Erkoyuncu JA, Masood T & Vrabic R (2020) Augmented reality assisted calibration of digital twins of mobile robots, IFAC-PapersOnLine, 53 (3) 203-208.
- Farsi M, Latsou C, Erkoyuncu JA & Morris G (2020) RFID application in a multi-agent cyber physical manufacturing system, Journal of Manufacturing and Materials Processing, 4 (4) Article No. 103.
- Singh S, Shehab E, Higgins N, Fowler K, Reynolds D, Erkoyuncu JA & Gadd P (2020) Data management for developing digital twin ontology model, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture, Available online 09 December 2020.
- Fernández del Amo I, Erkoyuncu J, Vrabič R, Frayssinet R, Vazquez Reynel C & Roy R (2020) Structured authoring for AR-based communication to enhance efficiency in remote diagnosis for complex equipment, Advanced Engineering Informatics, 45 (August) Article No. 101096. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.12136206.v2
- Honarvar Shakibaei Asli B, Flusser J, Zhao Y, Erkoyuncu JA, Banerjee Krishnan K, Farrokhi Y & Roy R (2020) Ultrasound image filtering and reconstruction using DCT/IDCT filter structure, IEEE Access, 8 141342-141357.
- Schleich B, Dittrich MA, Clausmeyer T, Damgrave R, Erkoyuncu JA, Haefner B, de Lange J, Plakhotnik D, Scheidel W & Wuest T. (2020) Shifting value stream patterns along the product lifecycle with digital twins, Procedia CIRP, 86 3-11.
- Schwabe O, Erkoyuncu JA & Shehab E (2020) On the change of cost risk and uncertainty throughout the life cycle of manufacturing products, Procedia CIRP, 86 239-244.
- Erkoyuncu JA, Fernández del Amo I, Ariansyah D, Bulka D, Vrabič R & Roy R (2020) A design framework for adaptive digital twins, CIRP Annals - Manufacturing Technology, 69 (1) 145-148. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.12136074
- Erkoyuncu J & Khan S (2020) Olfactory-based augmented reality support for industrial maintenance, IEEE Access, 8 30306-30321. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.11587053
- Erkoyuncu JA, Roy R, Shehab E, Durugbo C, Khan S & Datta P (2019) An effective uncertainty based framework for sustainable industrial product-service system transformation, Journal of Cleaner Production, 208 160-177. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.7182446
- Farsi M, Erkoyuncu JA, Steenstra D & Roy R (2019) A modular hybrid simulation framework for complex manufacturing system design, Simulation Modelling Practice and Theory, 94 (July) 14-30.
- D’Amico D, Ekoyuncu J, Addepalli S, Smith C, Keedwell E, Sibson J & Penver S (2019) Conceptual framework of a digital twin to evaluate the degradation status of complex engineering systems, Procedia CIRP, 86 61-67.
- Ferrati F, Erkoyuncu JA & Court S (2019) Developing an augmented reality based training demonstrator for manufacturing cherry pickers, Procedia CIRP, 81 803-808.
- Rashid A, Masood T, Erkoyuncu JA, Tjahjono B, Khan N & Shami M (2018) Enterprise systems’ life cycle in pursuit of resilient smart factory for emerging aircraft industry: a synthesis of Critical Success Factors’(CSFs), theory, knowledge gaps, and implications, Enterprise Information Systems , 12 (2) 96-136.
- Fernández del Amo I, Erkoyuncu J, Roy R, Palmarini R & Onoufriou D (2018) A systematic review of Augmented Reality content-related techniques for knowledge transfer in maintenance applications, Computers in Industry, 103 (December) 47-71.
- Farsi M, Grenyer A, Sachidananda M, Sceral M, Mcvey S, Erkoyuncua J & Roy R (2018) Conceptualising the impact of information asymmetry on through-life cost: case study of machine tools sector, Procedia Manufacturing, 16 99-106.
- Schwabe O, Shehab E & Erkoyuncu J (2018) Dynamics of cost uncertainty for innovative high value manufacturing products - a geometric phenomenon, Procedia CIRP, 78 225-230.
- Wang J, Erkoyuncu J & Roy R (2018) A conceptual design for smell based augmented reality: case study in maintenance diagnosis, Procedia CIRP, 78 109-114.
- Tedeschi S, Rodrigues D, Emmanouilidis C, Erkoyuncu J, Roy R & Starr A (2018) A cost estimation approach for IoT modular architectures implementation in legacy systems, Procedia Manufacturing, 19 103-110.
- Sceral M, Erkoyuncu J & Shehab E (2018) Identifying information asymmetry challenges in the defence sector, Procedia Manufacturing, 19 127-134.
- Fernández del Amo I, Erkoyuncu JA, Roy R & Wilding S (2018) Augmented reality in maintenance: an information-centred design framework, Procedia Manufacturing, 19 148-155.
- Palmarini R, Fernández del Amo I, Bertolino G, Dini G, Erkoyuncu JA, Roy R & Farnsworth M (2018) Designing an AR interface to improve trust in Human-Robots collaboration, Procedia CIRP, 70 350-355.
- Fernández del Amo I, Galeotti E, Palmarini R, Dini G, Erkoyuncu J & Roy R (2018) An innovative user-centred support tool for Augmented Reality maintenance systems design: a preliminary study, Procedia CIRP, 70 362-367.
- Busachi A, Erkoyuncu J, Colegrove P, Drake R, Watts C & Wilding S (2018) Additive manufacturing applications in Defence Support Services: current practices and framework for implementation, International Journal of System Assurance Engineering and Management, 9 (3) 657-674.
- Palmarini R, Erkoyuncu JA, Roy R & Torabmostaedi H (2018) A systematic review of augmented reality applications in maintenance, Robotics and Computer-Integrated Manufacturing, 49 (February) 215-228.
- Grenyer A, Addepalli S, Zhao Y, Oakey L, Erkoyuncu JA & Roy R (2018) Identifying challenges in quantifying uncertainty: case study in infrared thermography, Procedia CIRP, 73 108-113.
- Busachi A, Erkoyuncu J, Colegrove P, Drake R, Watts C, Martina F, Tapoglou N & Lockett H (2018) A system approach for modelling additive manufacturing in defence acquisition programs, Procedia CIRP, 67 209-214.
- Shen J, Erkoyuncu JA, Roy R & Wu B (2018) A framework for cost evaluation in product service system configuration, International Journal of Production Research, 55 (20) 6120-6144.
- Erkoyuncu JA, Khan S, Eiroa AL, Butler N, Rushton K & Brocklebank S (2017) Perspectives on trading cost and availability for corrective maintenance at the equipment type level, Reliability Engineering and System Safety, 168 (December) 53-69.
- Khan S, Farnsworth M & Erkoyuncu J (2017) A novel approach for No Fault Found decision-making, CIRP Journal of Manufacturing Science and Technology, 17 (May) 18-31.
- Erkoyuncu J, Fernández del Amo I, Dalle Mura M, Roy R & Dini G (2017) Improving efficiency of industrial maintenance with context aware adaptive authoring in augmented reality, CIRP Annals - Manufacturing Technology, 66 (1) 465-468.
- Palmarini R, Erkoyuncu JA & Roy R (2017) An Innovative Process to Select Augmented Reality (AR) Technology for Maintenance, Procedia CIRP, 59 23-28.
- Busachi A, Erkoyuncu J, Colegrove P, Martina F, Watts C & Drake R (2017) A review of additive manufacturing technology and cost estimation techniques for the defence sector, CIRP Journal of Manufacturing Science and Technology, 19 (November) 117-128.
- Erkoyuncu JH, Khan S, Hussain SMF & Roy R (2016) A framework to estimate the cost of No-Fault Found events,, International Journal of Production Economics, 173 (March) 207-222. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.5472904.v1
- Schwabe O, Shehab E & Erkoyuncu J (2016) A framework for geometric quantification and forecasting of cost uncertainty for aerospace innovations, Progress in Aerospace Sciences, 84 (July) 29-47.
- Busachi A, Erkoyuncu J, Colegrove P, Drake R, Watts C & Martina F (2016) Defining next-generation additive manufacturing applications for the Ministry of Defence (MoD), Procedia CIRP, 55 302-307.
- Schwabe O, Shehab E & Erkoyuncu J (2016) An approach for selecting cost estimation techniques for innovative high value manufacturing products, Procedia CIRP, 55 41-46.
- Schwabe O, Shehab E & Erkoyuncu J (2016) Short interval control for the cost estimate baseline of novel high value manufacturing products – a complexity based approach, Procedia CIRP, 55 29-34.
- Sachidananda M, Erkoyuncu J, Steenstra D & Michalska S (2016) Discrete event simulation modelling for dynamic decision making in biopharmaceutical manufacturing, Procedia CIRP, 49 39-44.
- Marzano A, Friel I, Erkoyuncu JA & Court S (2015) Design of a virtual reality framework for maintainability and assemblability test of complex systems, Procedia CIRP, 37 242-247.
- Erkoyuncu J, Busachi A, Colegrove P, Martina F & Ding J (2015) Designing a WAAM based manufacturing system for defense applications, Procedia CIRP, 37 48-53.
- Sabaei D, Erkoyuncu J, Roy R & Roy R (2015) A review of multi-criteria decision making methods for enhanced maintenance delivery, Procedia CIRP, 37 30-35.
- Rodrigues D, Erkoyuncu J, Starr A, Wilding S, Dibble A, Laity M, Owen R, (2015) A conceptual framework to assess the impact of training on equipment cost and availability in the military context, Procedia CIRP, 38 112-117.
- Rajagopal S, Erkoyuncu J A & Roy R (2014) Software obsolescence in defence, Procedia CIRP, 22 76-80.
- Masood T, Erkoyuncu JA, Roy R & Harrison A (2014) Integrating design attributes, knowledge and uncertainty in aerospace sector, CIRP Journal of Manufacturing Science and Technology, 7 (2) 83-96.
- Erkoyuncu JA, Roy R, Shebab E & Kutsch E (2014) An Innovative Uncertainty Management Framework to Support Contracting for Product-Service Availability, Journal of Service Management, 25 (5) 603-638.
- Erkoyuncu JA, Stanley O & Rajkumar R (2014) Mitigating the risk of software obsolescence in the oil and gas sector, Procedia CIRP, 22 81-86.
- Erkoyuncu JA, Durugbo C, Shehab E, Roy R, Parker R, Gath A & Howell D (2013) Uncertainty driven service cost estimation for decision support at the bidding stage, International Journal of Production Research, 51 (19) 5771-5788.
- Roy R, Shaw A, Erkoyuncu J, Redding L & Roy R (2013) Through-life Engineering Services, Measurement and Control, 46 (6) 172-175.
- Erkoyuncu JA, Durugbo C & Roy R (2013) Identifying uncertainties for industrial service delivery: a systems approach, International Journal of Production Research, 51 (21) 6295-6315.
- Xu Y, Elgh F, Erkoyuncu J, Bankole O, Goh Y, Cheung W, Baguley P, Wang Q, Arundachawat P, Shehab E, Newnes L & Roy R (2012) Cost Engineering for manufacturing: Current and future research, International Journal of Computer Integrated Manufacturing, 25 (4-5) 300-314.
- Erkoyuncu JA, Roy R, Shehab E & Cheruvu K (2011) Understanding service uncertainties in industrial product-service system cost estimation, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 52 (9-12) 1223-1238.
- Durugbo C, Erkoyuncu JA, Tiwari A, Alcock JR, Roy R & Shehab E (2010) Data uncertainty assessment and information flow analysis for product-service systems in a library case study, International Journal of Services Operations and Informatics, 5 (4) 330-350.
- Grenyer A, Erkoyuncu JA, Addepalli S & Zhao Y (2020) An uncertainty quantification and aggregation framework for system performance assessment in industrial maintenance. In: TESConf 2020 - 9th International Conference on Through-life Engineering Services, Online, 3-4 November 2020. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.12906443
- Rodrigues D, Erkoyuncu J, Starr A, Wilding S, Dibble A & Laity M (2015) Review of the modelling approaches for availability contracts in the military context. In: 7th Industrial Product-Service Systems Conference - PSS, industry transformation for sustainability and business, Ecole des Mines Saint-Etienne, France, 21-22 May 2015.
- Busachi A, Erkoyuncu J, Colegrove P, Martina F & Ding J (2015) Designing a WAAM based manufacturing system for defence applications. In: 4th CIRP global Web conference (CIRPe 2015): understanding the life cycle implications of manufacturing, Online, 29 September - 1 October 2015.
- Erkoyuncu JA, Salbrechter F, Steenstra D & Roy R (2013) Building a software platform to guide doctors and nurses with ultrasound scanning. In: IEEE 4th International Conference on Cognitive Infocommunications (CogInfoCom), 2013, Budapest, 2-5 December 2013.
- Durugbo C, Bankole OO, Erkoyuncu JA, Tiwari A, Alcock JR, Roy R & Shehab E (2010) Product-Service Systems across Industry Sectors: Future Research Needs and Challenges. In: 2nd CIRP Industrial Product Service Systems (IPS2) Conference, Linköping, 14 April 2010.
- Roy R, Datta P, Romero Rojo FJ & Erkoyuncu J (2009) Cost of industrial product-service systems (IPS2). In: 16th CIRP international conference on life cycle engineering (LCE 2009), Cairo, 4-6 May 2009.
- Erkoyuncu JA, Roy R, Datta P, Wardle P & Murphy F Service Uncertainty and Cost for Product Service Systems (PSS). In: Complex Engineering Service Systems. Ng I, Parry G, Wild PJ, McFarlane D, Tasker P (ed.), London: Springer, p. 129-149, ed. 1.