Contact Professor John Ahmet Erkoyuncu
Areas of expertise
- Computing, Simulation & Modelling
- Throughlife Engineering Services
Prof. Erkoyuncu previously worked as a Senior Lecturer in Digital Service Engineering. His research focused on: 1) augmented reality applications in manufacturing and maintenance and 2) modelling maintenance requirements.
Prior to becoming a Senior Lecturer and Lecturer, as Research Fellow, John was based at Rolls-Royce, Derby. In this role he developed a software tool to trade-off the design requirements (e.g. unit cost, emission, noise). Prof. Erkoyuncu was also involved in an EU funded infrastructure project on visualisation. His responsibility focused on implementing augmented reality.
John’s PhD focused on how to quantify the impact
of uncertainty when estimating the cost of maintenance. His PhD was conducted
in collaboration with BAE Systems, Rolls-Royce and MoD. The project focused on
the bidding stage of availability based contracts.
Prof. Erkoyuncu is Head of the Centre for Digital Engineering and Manufacturing. In parallel to his research interests, the Centre focuses on: 1) digitalisation of manufacturing processes, 2) complex systems and optimisation, 3) digital twins and AI, and 4) virtual and augmented reality. John is a Professor of Digital Engineering. John is active with Innovate UK and EPSRC funded projects.
Prof. Erkoyuncu is currently co-supervising eight PhD projects; which are all co-funded by industry. The projects are focused on enhancing
predictability of complex maintenance, improving efficiency of
manufacturing and maintenance within the defence, aerospace, pharmaceutical, rail, health and automotive sectors. John is a Chartered Engineer, Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, a former Chair of the CIRP Research Affiliates (2018-2019) and a Member
of IET. He is currently the co-chair of the Through-life Engineering Services Council. Professor Erkoyuncu is an Associate Member of CIRP.
- BABCOCK International
- BAE Systems
- Fisher BioServices
- Network Rail
Articles In Journals
- Fernández del Amo I, Erkoyuncu JA, Farsi M & Ariansyah D (2022) Hybrid recommendations and dynamic authoring for AR knowledge capture and re-use in diagnosis applications, Knowledge-Based Systems, 239 (March) Article No. 107954. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.17814002.v1
- Grenyer A, Schwabe O, Erkoyuncu JA & Zhao Y (2022) Multistep prediction of dynamic uncertainty under limited data, CIRP Journal of Manufacturing Science and Technology, 37 (May) 37-54. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.14381987
- Cao J, Zhao Y, Shan X, Wei H-L, Guo Y, Chen L, Erkoyuncu JA & Sarrigiannis PG (2022) Brain functional and effective connectivity based on electroencephalography recordings: a review, Human Brain Mapping, 43 (2) 860-879.
- Ariansyah D, Erkoyuncu JA, Eimontaite I, Johnson T, Oostveen A-M, Fletcher S & Sharples S (2022) A head mounted augmented reality design practice for maintenance assembly: toward meeting perceptual and cognitive needs of AR users, Applied Ergonomics, 98 (January) Article No. 103597. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.15195594.v1
- Honarvar Shakibaei Asli B, Zhao Y & Erkoyuncu JA (2021) Motion blur invariant for estimating motion parameters of medical ultrasound images, Scientific Reports, 11 (1) Article No. 14312.
- Farsi M & Erkoyuncu JA (2021) An agent-based approach to quantify the uncertainty in product-service system contract decisions: a case study in the machine tool industry, International Journal of Production Economics, 233 (March) Article No. 108014. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.11926425
- Latsou C, Farsi M, Erkoyuncu JA & Morris G (2021) Digital twin integration in multi-agent cyber physical manufacturing systems, IFAC-PapersOnLine, 54 (1) 811-816.
- Vrabic R, Erkoyuncu JA, Farsi M & Ariansyah D (2021) An intelligent agent-based architecture for resilient digital twins in manufacturing, CIRP Annals - Manufacturing Technology, 70 (1) 349-352.
- Singh S, Shehab E, Higgins N, Fowler K, Reynolds D, Erkoyuncu JA & Gadd P (2021) Data management for developing digital twin ontology model, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture, 235 (14) 2323-2337.
- Schwabe O, Bilge P, Hoessler A, Tunc T, Gaspar D, Price N, Sharir L, Pasher E, Erkoyuncu J, de Almeida NM, Formica P, Schneider L, Dietrich F & Shehab E (2021) A maturity model for rapid diffusion of innovation in high value manufacturing, Procedia CIRP, 96 195-200.
- Latsou C, Erkoyuncu JA & Farsi M (2021) A multi-objective approach for resilience-based system design optimisation of complex manufacturing systems, Procedia CIRP, 100 536-541.
- Addepalli S, Zhao Y, Erkoyuncu JA & Roy R (2021) Quantifying uncertainty in pulsed thermographic inspection by analysing the thermal diffusivity measurements of metals and composites, Sensors, 21 (16) Article No. 5480. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.11919987
- Chi J, Latsou C, Erkoyuncu JA, Grenyer A, Rushton K & Brocklebank S (2021) A design framework for technology prioritisation in the context of through-life engineering services, Procedia CIRP, 100 524-529.
- Farsi M, Ariansyah D, Erkoyuncu JA & Harrison A (2021) A digital twin architecture for effective product lifecycle cost estimation, Procedia CIRP, 100 506-511.
- Grenyer A, Erkoyuncu JA, Zhao Y & Roy R (2021) A systematic review of multivariate uncertainty quantification for engineering systems, CIRP Journal of Manufacturing Science and Technology, 33 (May) 188-208.
- Farsi M & Erkoyuncu JA (2021) An agent-based model for flexible customization in product-service systems, Procedia CIRP, 96 (21) 39-44.
- Grenyer A, Schwabe O, Erkoyuncu JA & Zhao Y (2021) Dynamic multistep uncertainty prediction in spatial geometry, Procedia CIRP, 96 74-79. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.12906716
- Singh S, Shehab E, Higgins N, Fowler K, Erkoyuncu JA & Gadd P (2021) Towards information management framework for digital twin in aircraft manufacturing, Procedia CIRP, 96 163-168.
- Williams R, Erkoyuncu JA, Masood T & Vrabic R (2020) Augmented reality assisted calibration of digital twins of mobile robots, IFAC-PapersOnLine, 53 (3) 203-208.
- Farsi M, Bailly A, Bodin D, Penella V, Pinault P-L, Nghia ETT, Sibson J & Erkoyuncu JA (2020) An optimisation framework for improving supply chain performance: case study of a bespoke service provider, Procedia Manufacturing, 49 185-192. Dataset/s: doi.org/10.1016/j.promfg.2020.07.017
- Yazdani Nezhad H, Wang X, Court SD, Thapa B & Erkoyuncu JA (2020) Development of an augmented reality equipped composites bonded assembly and repair for aerospace applications, IFAC-PapersOnLine, 53 (3) 209-215.
- Grenyer A, Dinmohammadi F, Erkoyuncu JA, Zhao Y & Roy R (2020) Current practice and challenges towards handling uncertainty for effective outcomes in maintenance, Procedia CIRP, 86 282-287.
- Farsi M, Latsou C, Erkoyuncu JA & Morris G (2020) RFID application in a multi-agent cyber physical manufacturing system, Journal of Manufacturing and Materials Processing, 4 (4) Article No. 103.
- Fernández del Amo I, Erkoyuncu J, Vrabič R, Frayssinet R, Vazquez Reynel C & Roy R (2020) Structured authoring for AR-based communication to enhance efficiency in remote diagnosis for complex equipment, Advanced Engineering Informatics, 45 (August) Article No. 101096. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.12136206.v2
- Honarvar Shakibaei Asli B, Flusser J, Zhao Y, Erkoyuncu JA, Banerjee Krishnan K, Farrokhi Y & Roy R (2020) Ultrasound image filtering and reconstruction using DCT/IDCT filter structure, IEEE Access, 8 141342-141357.
- Schleich B, Dittrich MA, Clausmeyer T, Damgrave R, Erkoyuncu JA, Haefner B, de Lange J, Plakhotnik D, Scheidel W & Wuest T. (2020) Shifting value stream patterns along the product lifecycle with digital twins, Procedia CIRP, 86 3-11.
- Schwabe O, Erkoyuncu JA & Shehab E (2020) On the change of cost risk and uncertainty throughout the life cycle of manufacturing products, Procedia CIRP, 86 239-244.
- Erkoyuncu JA, Fernández del Amo I, Ariansyah D, Bulka D, Vrabič R & Roy R (2020) A design framework for adaptive digital twins, CIRP Annals - Manufacturing Technology, 69 (1) 145-148. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.12136074
- Erkoyuncu J & Khan S (2020) Olfactory-based augmented reality support for industrial maintenance, IEEE Access, 8 30306-30321. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.11587053
- Erkoyuncu JA, Roy R, Shehab E, Durugbo C, Khan S & Datta P (2019) An effective uncertainty based framework for sustainable industrial product-service system transformation, Journal of Cleaner Production, 208 160-177. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.7182446
- Farsi M, Erkoyuncu JA, Steenstra D & Roy R (2019) A modular hybrid simulation framework for complex manufacturing system design, Simulation Modelling Practice and Theory, 94 (July) 14-30.
- D’Amico D, Ekoyuncu J, Addepalli S, Smith C, Keedwell E, Sibson J & Penver S (2019) Conceptual framework of a digital twin to evaluate the degradation status of complex engineering systems, Procedia CIRP, 86 61-67.
- Ferrati F, Erkoyuncu JA & Court S (2019) Developing an augmented reality based training demonstrator for manufacturing cherry pickers, Procedia CIRP, 81 803-808.
- Busachi A, Erkoyuncu J, Colegrove P, Drake R, Watts C, Martina F, Tapoglou N & Lockett H (2018) A system approach for modelling additive manufacturing in defence acquisition programs, Procedia CIRP, 67 209-214.
- Schwabe O, Shehab E & Erkoyuncu J (2018) Dynamics of cost uncertainty for innovative high value manufacturing products - a geometric phenomenon, Procedia CIRP, 78 225-230.
- Wang J, Erkoyuncu J & Roy R (2018) A conceptual design for smell based augmented reality: case study in maintenance diagnosis, Procedia CIRP, 78 109-114.
- Rashid A, Masood T, Erkoyuncu JA, Tjahjono B, Khan N & Shami M (2018) Enterprise systems’ life cycle in pursuit of resilient smart factory for emerging aircraft industry: a synthesis of Critical Success Factors’(CSFs), theory, knowledge gaps, and implications, Enterprise Information Systems , 12 (2) 96-136.
- Fernández del Amo I, Erkoyuncu J, Roy R, Palmarini R & Onoufriou D (2018) A systematic review of Augmented Reality content-related techniques for knowledge transfer in maintenance applications, Computers in Industry, 103 (December) 47-71.
- Farsi M, Grenyer A, Sachidananda M, Sceral M, Mcvey S, Erkoyuncua J & Roy R (2018) Conceptualising the impact of information asymmetry on through-life cost: case study of machine tools sector, Procedia Manufacturing, 16 99-106.
- Tedeschi S, Rodrigues D, Emmanouilidis C, Erkoyuncu J, Roy R & Starr A (2018) A cost estimation approach for IoT modular architectures implementation in legacy systems, Procedia Manufacturing, 19 103-110.
- Sceral M, Erkoyuncu J & Shehab E (2018) Identifying information asymmetry challenges in the defence sector, Procedia Manufacturing, 19 127-134.
- Fernández del Amo I, Erkoyuncu JA, Roy R & Wilding S (2018) Augmented reality in maintenance: an information-centred design framework, Procedia Manufacturing, 19 148-155.
- Palmarini R, Fernández del Amo I, Bertolino G, Dini G, Erkoyuncu JA, Roy R & Farnsworth M (2018) Designing an AR interface to improve trust in Human-Robots collaboration, Procedia CIRP, 70 350-355.
- Fernández del Amo I, Galeotti E, Palmarini R, Dini G, Erkoyuncu J & Roy R (2018) An innovative user-centred support tool for Augmented Reality maintenance systems design: a preliminary study, Procedia CIRP, 70 362-367.
- Busachi A, Erkoyuncu J, Colegrove P, Drake R, Watts C & Wilding S (2018) Additive manufacturing applications in Defence Support Services: current practices and framework for implementation, International Journal of System Assurance Engineering and Management, 9 (3) 657-674.
- Palmarini R, Erkoyuncu JA, Roy R & Torabmostaedi H (2018) A systematic review of augmented reality applications in maintenance, Robotics and Computer-Integrated Manufacturing, 49 (February) 215-228.
- Grenyer A, Addepalli S, Zhao Y, Oakey L, Erkoyuncu JA & Roy R (2018) Identifying challenges in quantifying uncertainty: case study in infrared thermography, Procedia CIRP, 73 108-113.
- Shen J, Erkoyuncu JA, Roy R & Wu B (2018) A framework for cost evaluation in product service system configuration, International Journal of Production Research, 55 (20) 6120-6144.
- Erkoyuncu JA, Khan S, Eiroa AL, Butler N, Rushton K & Brocklebank S (2017) Perspectives on trading cost and availability for corrective maintenance at the equipment type level, Reliability Engineering and System Safety, 168 (December) 53-69.
- Khan S, Farnsworth M & Erkoyuncu J (2017) A novel approach for No Fault Found decision-making, CIRP Journal of Manufacturing Science and Technology, 17 (May) 18-31.
- Erkoyuncu J, Fernández del Amo I, Dalle Mura M, Roy R & Dini G (2017) Improving efficiency of industrial maintenance with context aware adaptive authoring in augmented reality, CIRP Annals - Manufacturing Technology, 66 (1) 465-468.
- Palmarini R, Erkoyuncu JA & Roy R (2017) An Innovative Process to Select Augmented Reality (AR) Technology for Maintenance, Procedia CIRP, 59 23-28.
- Busachi A, Erkoyuncu J, Colegrove P, Martina F, Watts C & Drake R (2017) A review of additive manufacturing technology and cost estimation techniques for the defence sector, CIRP Journal of Manufacturing Science and Technology, 19 (November) 117-128.
- Erkoyuncu JH, Khan S, Hussain SMF & Roy R (2016) A framework to estimate the cost of No-Fault Found events,, International Journal of Production Economics, 173 (March) 207-222. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.5472904.v1
- Schwabe O, Shehab E & Erkoyuncu J (2016) A framework for geometric quantification and forecasting of cost uncertainty for aerospace innovations, Progress in Aerospace Sciences, 84 (July) 29-47.
- Busachi A, Erkoyuncu J, Colegrove P, Drake R, Watts C & Martina F (2016) Defining next-generation additive manufacturing applications for the Ministry of Defence (MoD), Procedia CIRP, 55 302-307.
- Schwabe O, Shehab E & Erkoyuncu J (2016) An approach for selecting cost estimation techniques for innovative high value manufacturing products, Procedia CIRP, 55 41-46.
- Schwabe O, Shehab E & Erkoyuncu J (2016) Short interval control for the cost estimate baseline of novel high value manufacturing products – a complexity based approach, Procedia CIRP, 55 29-34.
- Sachidananda M, Erkoyuncu J, Steenstra D & Michalska S (2016) Discrete event simulation modelling for dynamic decision making in biopharmaceutical manufacturing, Procedia CIRP, 49 39-44.
- Marzano A, Friel I, Erkoyuncu JA & Court S (2015) Design of a virtual reality framework for maintainability and assemblability test of complex systems, Procedia CIRP, 37 242-247.
- Erkoyuncu J, Busachi A, Colegrove P, Martina F & Ding J (2015) Designing a WAAM based manufacturing system for defense applications, Procedia CIRP, 37 48-53.
- Sabaei D, Erkoyuncu J, Roy R & Roy R (2015) A review of multi-criteria decision making methods for enhanced maintenance delivery, Procedia CIRP, 37 30-35.
- Rodrigues D, Erkoyuncu J, Starr A, Wilding S, Dibble A, Laity M, Owen R, (2015) A conceptual framework to assess the impact of training on equipment cost and availability in the military context, Procedia CIRP, 38 112-117.
- Rajagopal S, Erkoyuncu J A & Roy R (2014) Software obsolescence in defence, Procedia CIRP, 22 76-80.
- Masood T, Erkoyuncu JA, Roy R & Harrison A (2014) Integrating design attributes, knowledge and uncertainty in aerospace sector, CIRP Journal of Manufacturing Science and Technology, 7 (2) 83-96.
- Erkoyuncu JA, Roy R, Shebab E & Kutsch E (2014) An Innovative Uncertainty Management Framework to Support Contracting for Product-Service Availability, Journal of Service Management, 25 (5) 603-638.
- Erkoyuncu JA, Stanley O & Rajkumar R (2014) Mitigating the risk of software obsolescence in the oil and gas sector, Procedia CIRP, 22 81-86.
- Erkoyuncu JA, Durugbo C, Shehab E, Roy R, Parker R, Gath A & Howell D (2013) Uncertainty driven service cost estimation for decision support at the bidding stage, International Journal of Production Research, 51 (19) 5771-5788.
- Roy R, Shaw A, Erkoyuncu J, Redding L & Roy R (2013) Through-life Engineering Services, Measurement and Control, 46 (6) 172-175.
- Erkoyuncu JA, Durugbo C & Roy R (2013) Identifying uncertainties for industrial service delivery: a systems approach, International Journal of Production Research, 51 (21) 6295-6315.
- Xu Y, Elgh F, Erkoyuncu J, Bankole O, Goh Y, Cheung W, Baguley P, Wang Q, Arundachawat P, Shehab E, Newnes L & Roy R (2012) Cost Engineering for manufacturing: Current and future research, International Journal of Computer Integrated Manufacturing, 25 (4-5) 300-314.
- Erkoyuncu JA, Roy R, Shehab E & Cheruvu K (2011) Understanding service uncertainties in industrial product-service system cost estimation, The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 52 (9-12) 1223-1238.
- Durugbo C, Erkoyuncu JA, Tiwari A, Alcock JR, Roy R & Shehab E (2010) Data uncertainty assessment and information flow analysis for product-service systems in a library case study, International Journal of Services Operations and Informatics, 5 (4) 330-350.
- D'Amico RD, Addepalli P & Erkoyuncu JA (2022) Is a top level ontology based digital twin the solution to human-machine interoperability?. In: TESConf 2021: 10th International Conference on Through-life Engineering Services, Virtual Event: Host: University of Twente, 16-17 November 2021.
- Farsi M & Erkoyuncu JA (2021) Industry 5.0 transition for an advanced service provision. In: TESConf 2021: 10th International Conference on Through-life Engineering Services, Virtual Event: Host: University of Twente, 16-17 November 2021.
- Farsi M, Mishra RK & Erkoyuncu JA (2021) Industry 5.0 for sustainable reliability centered maintenance. In: TESConf 2021: 10th International Conference on Through-life Engineering Services, Virtual Event: Host: University of Twente, 16-17 November 2021.
- Shakibaei BH, Flusser J, Zhao Y, Erkoyuncu JA & Roy R (2021) DCT/IDCT filter design for ultrasound image filtering. In: 25th International Conference on Pattern Recognition (ICPR 2020), Milan, 10-15 January 2021.
- Farsi M & Erkoyuncu JA (2020) Toward an integrated sustainability assessment in through-life engineering services. In: TESConf 2020: 9th International Conference on Through-life Engineering Services, Virtual Event: Host: Cranfield University, 3-4 November 2020.
- Farsi M, Erkoyuncu JA & Harrison A (2020) A super simple life-cycle cost estimation model with minimum data requirement. In: TESConf 2020: 9th International Conference on Through-life Engineering Services, Virtual Event: Host: Cranfield University, 3-4 November 2020.
- Grenyer A, Erkoyuncu JA, Addepalli S & Zhao Y (2020) An uncertainty quantification and aggregation framework for system performance assessment in industrial maintenance. In: TESConf 2020: 9th International Conference on Through-life Engineering Services, Virtual Event: Host: Cranfield University, 3-4 November 2020. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.12906443
- Rodrigues D, Erkoyuncu J, Starr A, Wilding S, Dibble A & Laity M (2015) Review of the modelling approaches for availability contracts in the military context. In: 7th Industrial Product-Service Systems Conference - PSS, industry transformation for sustainability and business, Ecole des Mines Saint-Etienne, France, 21-22 May 2015.
- Busachi A, Erkoyuncu J, Colegrove P, Martina F & Ding J (2015) Designing a WAAM based manufacturing system for defence applications. In: 4th CIRP global Web conference (CIRPe 2015): understanding the life cycle implications of manufacturing, Online, 29 September - 1 October 2015.
- Erkoyuncu JA, Salbrechter F, Steenstra D & Roy R (2013) Building a software platform to guide doctors and nurses with ultrasound scanning. In: IEEE 4th International Conference on Cognitive Infocommunications (CogInfoCom), 2013, Budapest, 2-5 December 2013.
- Durugbo C, Bankole OO, Erkoyuncu JA, Tiwari A, Alcock JR, Roy R & Shehab E (2010) Product-Service Systems across Industry Sectors: Future Research Needs and Challenges. In: 2nd CIRP Industrial Product Service Systems (IPS2) Conference, Linköping, 14 April 2010.
- Roy R, Datta P, Romero Rojo FJ & Erkoyuncu J (2009) Cost of industrial product-service systems (IPS2). In: 16th CIRP international conference on life cycle engineering (LCE 2009), Cairo, 4-6 May 2009.
- Erkoyuncu JA, Roy R, Datta P, Wardle P & Murphy F Service Uncertainty and Cost for Product Service Systems (PSS). In: Complex Engineering Service Systems. Ng I, Parry G, Wild PJ, McFarlane D, Tasker P (ed.), London: Springer, p. 129-149, ed. 1.