Areas of expertise
- Aircraft Design
BackgroundHoward Smith has particular interests in advanced aircraft configuration design, the design of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles and aircraft static loads analysis. He is a Fellow of the Royal Aeronautical Society, a Senior Member of the American Institute for Aeronautics and Astronautics and a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy. He was recently awarded a Boeing Welliver Faculty Fellowship, a position previously given to only one non-US citizen since 1995.
Current activitiesProf Howard Smith is head of the Aircraft Design Group at Cranfield University's School of Engineering. His multidisciplinary team excels at the integration of technologies, such as structures, airframe systems and avionics, to find solutions to aviation related challenges such as the environment, defence and airline operations. He has been responsible for the creation of a wide range of innovative aircraft concept studies.
Howard Smith currently teaches aircraft conceptual design and aircraft loads analysis to graduate students from all over the world. The unique approach to teaching emphasises learning and assessment through immersion in virtual industrial team projects. The scale of the projects initiated is probably unique in the academic world and attracts interest from aerospace manufacturers and operators alike.
Articles In Journals
- Sun Y & Smith H (2019) Low-boom low-drag optimization in a multidisciplinary design analysis optimization environment, Aerospace Science and Technology, 94 (November) Article No. 105387.
- Sepulveda E & Smith H (2019) Impact of mission requirements on the design of low observable UCAV configurations, Aircraft Engineering and Aerospace Technology, 91 (10) 1295-1307.
- Sun Y & Smith H (2019) Low-boom low-drag solutions through the evaluation of different supersonic business jet concepts, The Aeronautical Journal, Available online 21 October 2019.
- Gomez A & Smith H (2019) Liquid hydrogen fuel tanks for commercial aviation: structural sizing and stress analysis, Aerospace Science and Technology, Available online 30 September 2019, Article No. 105438.
- Sepulveda E, Smith H & Sziroczak D (2018) Multidisciplinary analysis of subsonic stealth unmanned combat aerial vehicles, CEAS Aeronautical Journal, 10 (2) 431-442.
- Rajendran P & Smith H (2018) Sensitivity analysis of design parameters of a small solar-powered electric unmanned aerial vehicle, Journal of Engineering Science and Technology, 13 (12) 3922-3931.
- Rajendran P & Smith H (2018) Development of design methodology for a small solar-powered unmanned aerial vehicle, International Journal of Aerospace Engineering, 2018 Article No. 2820717.
- Smith H, Sziroczák D, Abbe GE & Okonkwo P (2018) The GENUS aircraft conceptual design environment, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part G: Journal of Aerospace Engineering, Early online (8).
- Rajendran P & Smith H (2018) Experimental study of solar module and maximum power point tracking system under controlled temperature conditions, International Journal on Advanced Science, Engineering and Information Technology, 8 (4) 1147-1153.
- Rajendran P & Smith H (2018) Experimental assessment of various batteries and propellers for small solar-powered unmanned aerial vehicle, Journal of Engineering and Technological Sciences, 50 (3) 382-391.
- Rajendran P, Mazlan NM & Smith H (2017) Single Cell Li-Ion Polymer Battery Charge and Discharge Characterizations for Application on Solar-Powered Unmanned Aerial Vehicle, Key Engineering Materials, 728 428-433.
- Sepulveda E & Smith H (2017) Technology challenges of stealth unmanned combat aerial vehicles, The Aeronautical Journal, 121 (1243) 1261-1295.
- Rajendran P & Smith H (2016) Modelling of solar irradiance and daylight duration for solar-powered UAV sizing, Energy Exploration and Exploitation, 34 (2) 235-243.
- Abbe G & Smith H (2016) Technological development trends in Solar-powered Aircraft Systems, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 60 (July) 770-783.
- Jiménez Manzanera RA & Smith H (2015) Flight in nature I: Take-off in animal flyers, The Aeronautical Journal, 119 (1213) Article No. 4202 257-280.
- Rajendran P & Smith H (2015) Implications of longitude and latitude on the size of solar-powered UAV, Energy Conversion and Management, 98 (July) 107-114.
- Jiménez Manzanera RA & Smith H (2015) Flight in nature II: How animal flyers land, The Aeronautical Journal, 119 (1213) 281-299.
- Rajendran P & Smith H (2015) Review of solar and battery power system development for solar-powered electric unmanned aerial vehicles, Advanced Materials Research, 1125 641-647.
- Rajendran P, Smith H & Hazim bin Masral M (2014) Modeling and simulation of solar irradiance and daylight duration for a high-power-output solar module system, Applied Mechanics and Materials, 629 (Chapter 9) 475-480.
- Rajendran Parvathy & Smith Howard (2014) The Development of a Small Solar Powered Electric Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Systems, Applied Mechanics and Materials, 465-466 (Chapter 3) 345-351.
- Smith H & Rajendran P (2014) Review of the Elementary Aspect of small Solar-Powered Electric Unmanned Aerial Vehicles, Australian Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences, 8 (15) 252-259.
- Smith H (2014) Airframe integration for an LH2 hybrid-electric propulsion system, Aircraft Engineering and Aerospace Technology, 86 (6) 562-567.
- Okonkwo P & Smith H (2014) Packaging in a Multivariate Conceptual Design Synthesis of a BWB Aircraft, World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, International Journal of Chemical, Molecular, Nuclear, Materials and Metallurgical Engineering, 8 (6) 1059-1068.
- Linares C, Lawson CP & Smith H (2013) Multidisciplinary Optimisation Framework for Minimum Rotorcraft Fuel and Air Pollutants at Mission Level, The Aeronautical Journal, 117 (1193) 749-767.
- Chudoba B, Coleman G, Smith H & Cook MV (2008) Generic stability and control for aerospace flight vehicle conceptual design, Aeronautical Journal -New Series-, 112 (1132) 293-306.
- Smith H (2007) A review of supersonic business jet design Issues, The Aeronautical Journal, 111 (1126) 761-776.
- Smith H (2007) The self-regenerating engineering design course: A top-down approach, International Journal of Engineering Education, 23 (1) 141-149.
- Loughlan J, Thompson SP & Smith H (2002) Buckling control using embedded shape memory actuators and the utilisation of smart technology in future aerospace platforms, Composite Structures, 58 (3) 319-347.
- Smith H (2001) U-99 uninhabited tactical aircraft preliminary structural design, Aircraft Engineering and Aerospace Technology, 73 (1) 31-56.
- Smith H (1997) Advanced short take‐off vertical landing combat aircraft: part 2 ‐ the powerplant installation, Aircraft Engineering and Aerospace Technology, 69 (1) 3-18.
- Smith H (1997) Systems design for an advanced short take-off vertical landing combat aircraft - Part 3, Aircraft Engineering and Aerospace Technology, 69 (2) 129-144.
- Smith H (1996) The structural design of an advanced short take-off vertical landing combat aircraft - part 1, Aircraft Engineering and Aerospace Technology, 68 (6) 3-17.
- Sepulveda E & Smith H (2019) Conceptual design of a fifth generation unmanned strike fighter. In: AIAA Scitech 2019 Forum, San Diego, 7-11 January 2019.
- Sun Y & Smith H (2018) Supersonic business jet conceptual design in a multidisciplinary design analysis optimization environment. In: 2018 AIAA/ASCE/AHS/ASC Structures, Structural Dynamics, and Materials Conference, AIAA SciTech Forum, Kissimmee, FL, 8-12 January 2018.
- Sun Y & Smith H (2018) Sonic boom and drag evaluation of supersonic jet concepts. In: 2018 AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference, Atlanta, 25-29 June 2018.
- Okonkwo P & Smith H (2014) Packaging in a Multi Conceptual Design Synthesis of a BWB Aircraft. In: 16th International Conference on Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering (ICAAE 2014), New York, USA, 5-6 June 2014.
- Fielding JP, Stocking P & Smith H (2010) Comparison of fuel burn and noise characteristics of novel aircraft configurations. In: 27th Congress of International Council of the Aeronautical Sciences, Nice, 19 September 2010.
- Mistry S, Smith H & Fielding JP (2008) Novel design concepts for aircraft with reduced noise and global warming characteristics. In: 26th Congress of International Council of the Aeronautical Sciences, 2008, Anchorage, 14 September 2008.
- Mistry S, Smith H & Fielding JP (2007) Development of novel aircraft concepts to reduce noise and global warming effects. In: 7th AIAA Aviation Technology, Integration, and Operations Conference, Belfast, Northern Ireland, 18-20 September 2007.
- Chudoba B & Smith H (2003) A Generic Stability and Control Methodology for Noval Aircraft Conceptual Design. In: AIAA atmospheric flight mechanics conference and exhibit, 2003, Austin, Texas, 11-14 August 2003.
- Fielding JP & Smith H
FLAVIIR, An Innovative University/Industry Research Program for Collaborative Research and Demonstration of UAV Technologies. In: 25th International Congress of the Aeronautical Sciences, Hamburg, Germany, 3 September 2006.
- Siegers F & Smith H Numerical Synthesis Methodology for Conceptual Design of New Generations of Combat Aircraft. In: 1st AIAA aircraft engineering, technology, and operations congress, Los Angeles, 19 September 1995.
- Smith H Collage of Aeronautics Blended Wing Body Development Programme. In: 22nd International Congress of Aeronautical Sciences, 2000, Harrogate, 27 August 2000.
- Ghoreyshi MG, Pilidis P, Yarf-Abbassy A & Smith H Analysis of An Exhaust Nozzle Performance Integrated With Co-Flow Fluidic Thrust-Vectoring. In: 18th International Symposium of Air Breathing Engines (ISABE), 2007, Beijing, 3 September 2007.
- Sun Y & Smith H Turbofan Airliner Conceptual Design in Multidisciplinary Design Analysis Optimization Environment. In: 1st International Conference in Aerospace for Young Scientists (ICAYS 2016), Beijing, 12 November 2016.
- Smith H & Laskaridis P Airframe Integration for LH2 fuelled Distributed Propulsion Systems. In: ISABE 22nd International Symposium on Air Breathing Engines 2015 Phoenix, Arizona USA, Phoenix, Arizona USA, 25-30 October 2015.
- Smith H (2012) Innovation in supersonic passenger air travel. In: Innovation in aeronautics. Young T, Hirst M (ed.), Cambridge: Woodhead Publishing, p. 155-193.
- Mistry S, Smith H & Fielding JP (2009) Commercial Aircraft Design for Reduced Noise and Environmental Impact. In: Variational Analysis and Aerospace Engineering. Buttazzo G, Frediani A (ed.), New York: Springer, p. 291-312.