Contact Professor Chris Fogwill
Chris joined Cranfield University as Pro-Vice Chancellor and Head of the School of Water, Energy and Environment in October 2021.
Chris obtained his BSc in Geological Oceanography at the University of Bangor in North Wales in 1995, and then joined the Department of Earth Sciences at Cambridge University as a postgraduate research assistant in the palaeoceanography group. This was followed by a PhD at the University of Edinburgh focused on ice-sheet reconstruction and modelling in Antarctica and Patagonia. After a NERC-funded postdoctoral research position within the School of Geoscience at Edinburgh, Chris took up a position as Senior Lecturer and Director of Programme in Physical Geography at the University of Exeter in 2007. This was followed by the Australian Research Council Future Fellowship in 2012 at the University of New South Wales, Sydney, where he was awarded an Australian Research Council Future Fellowship in 2012 based at the Climate Change Research Centre (CCRC), the leading hub for climate system modelling in the Southern Hemisphere, where he remains as Adjunct Professor.
ENGIE / Equans
Articles In Journals
- Armbrecht L, Weber ME, Raymo ME, Peck VL, Williams T, Warnock J, Kato Y, Hernández-Almeida I, Hoem F, Reilly B, Hemming S, Bailey I, Martos YM, Gutjahr M, Percuoco V, Allen C, Brachfeld S, Cardillo FG, Du Z, Fauth G, Fogwill C, Garcia M, Glüder A, Guitard M, Hwang JH, Iizuka M, Kenlee B, O’Connell S, Pérez LF, Ronge TA, Seki O, Tauxe L, Tripathi S & Zheng X (2022) Ancient marine sediment DNA reveals diatom transition in Antarctica, Nature Communications, 13 Article No. 5787.
- Fan Z, Cao J, Jamal T, Fogwill C, Samende C, Robinson Z, Polack F, Ormerod M, George S, Peacock A & Healey D (2022) The role of ‘living laboratories’ in accelerating the energy system decarbonization, Energy Reports, 8 (November) 11858-11864.
- Gonzalez SV, Clark GF, Johnston EL, Turney CS, Fogwill CJ, Steinberg PD & Marzinelli EM (2022) Spatial variation in microbial communities associated with sea-ice algae in Commonwealth Bay, East Antarctica, Microbiology, 168 (4) Article No. 001176.
- Weber ME & et al (2022) Antiphased dust deposition and productivity in the Antarctic Zone over 1.5 million years, Nature Communications, 13 (1) Article No. 2044.
- Cooper A et al (2021) A global environmental crisis 42,000 years ago, Science, 371 (6531) 811-818.
- Weber ME, Golledge NR, Fogwill CJ, Turney CSM & Thomas ZA (2021) Decadal-scale onset and termination of Antarctic ice-mass loss during the last deglaciation, Nature Communications, 12 (1) Article No. 6683.
- Turney C & Fogwill C (2021) The implications of the recently recognized mid-20th century shift in the Earth system, The Anthropocene Review, Available online 24 February 2021.
- Golledge NR, Clark PU, He F, Dutton A, Turney CS, Fogwill CJ, Naish TR, Levy RH, McKay RM, Lowry DP, Bertler NA, Dunbar GB & Carlson AE (2021) Retreat of the Antarctic Ice Sheet During the Last Interglaciation and Implications for Future Change, Geophysical Research Letters, 48 (17) Article No. e2021GL094513.
- Noble TL, Rohling EJ, Aitken AR, Bostock HC, Chase Z, Gomez N, Jong LM, King MA, Mackintosh AN, McCormack FS, McKay RM, Menviel, L, Phipps SJ, Weber ME, Fogwill CJ, Gayen B, Golledge NR, Gwyther DE, Hogg AM, Martos YM, Pena-Molino B, Roberts J, van de Flierdt T & Williams T (2020) The sensitivity of the Antarctic ice sheet to a changing climate: past, present, and future, Reviews of Geophysics, 58 (4) Article No. e2019RG000663.
- Thomas ZA, Jones RT, Turney CS, Golledge N, Fogwill C, Bradshaw CJ, Menviel L, McKay NP, Bird M, Palmer J, Kershaw P, Wilmshurst J.,Muscheler R & Muscheler R (2020) Tipping elements and amplified polar warming during the Last Interglacial, Quaternary Science Reviews, 233 Article No. 106222.
- Fogwill CJ, Turney CS, Menviel L, Baker A, Weber ME, Ellis B, Thomas ZA, Golledge NR, Etheridge D, Rubino M, Thornton DP, van Ommen TD, Moy AD, Curran MAJ, Davies S, Bird MI, Munksgaard NC, Rootes CM, Millman H, Vohra J, Rivera A, Mackintosh A, Pike J, Hall IR, Bagshaw EA, Rainsley E, Bronk-Ramsey C, Montenari M, Cage AG, Harris MRP, Jones R, Power A, Love J, Young J, Weyrich LS & Cooper A (2020) Southern Ocean carbon sink enhanced by sea-ice feedbacks at the Antarctic Cold Reversal, Nature Geoscience, 13 (7) 489-497.
- Shiggins CJ, Harris MR, Knight PG & Fogwill CJ (2020) Micro-Scale isotopic analysis of ice facies frozen from supercooled water, Geografiska Annaler. Series A. Physical Geography, 102 (2) 104-117.
- Turney CS et al (2020) Early Last Interglacial ocean warming drove substantial ice mass loss from Antarctica, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 117 (8) 3996-4006.
- Turney CS, Jones RT, McKay NP, Van Sebille E, Thomas ZA, Hillenbrand CD & Fogwill CJ (2020) A global mean sea surface temperature dataset for the Last Interglacial (129-116 ka) and contribution of thermal expansion to sea level change, Earth System Science Data, 12 (4) 3341-3356.
- Thomas ZA, Turney CS, Hogg A, Williams AN & Fogwill CJ (2019) Investigating Subantarctic 14C Ages of Different Peat Components: Site and Sample Selection for Developing Robust Age Models in Dynamic Landscapes, Radiocarbon, 61 (4) 1009-1027.
- Dougherty AJ, Thomas ZA, Fogwill C, Hogg A, Palmer J, Rainsley E, Williams AN, Ulm S, Rogers K, Jones BG & Turney C (2019) Redating the earliest evidence of the mid-Holocene relative sea-level highstand in Australia and implications for global sea-level rise, PLoS ONE, 14 (7) Article No. e0218430.
- Clark GF, Pastorino S, Marzinelli EM, Turney CS, Fogwill CJ & Johnston EL (2019) Nearshore marine communities at three New Zealand sub-Antarctic islands, Polar Biology, 42 (12) 2193-2203.
- Bian F, Coleborn K, Flemons I, Baker A, Treble PC, Hughes CE, Baker A, Andersen MS, Tozer MG, Duan W, Fogwill CJ & Fairchild IJ (2019) Hydrological and geochemical responses of fire in a shallow cave system, Science of the Total Environment, 662 180-191.
- Bracegirdle TJ et al (2019) Back to the future: Using long-term observational and paleo-proxy reconstructions to improve model projections of antarctic climate, Geosciences (Switzerland), 9 (6) Article No. 255.
- Rainsley E, Turney CS, Golledge NR, Wilmshurst JM, McGlone MS, Hogg AG, Li B, Thomas ZA, Roberts R, Jones RT, Palmer JG, Flett V, de Wet G, Hutchinson DK, Lipson MJ, Fenwick P, Hines BR, Binetti U & Fogwill CJ (2019) Pleistocene glacial history of the New Zealand subantarctic islands, Climate of the Past, 15 (2) 423-448.
- Rainsley E, Menviel L, Fogwill CJ, Turney CS, Hughes AL & Rood DH (2018) Greenland ice mass loss during the Younger Dryas driven by Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation feedbacks, Scientific Reports, 8 (1) Article No. 11307.
- Turney CS et al (2018) Global peak in atmospheric radiocarbon provides a potential definition for the onset of the anthropocene epoch in 1965, Scientific Reports, 8 (1) Article No. 3293.
- Thomas ZA, Jones RT, Fogwill CJ, Hatton J, Williams AN, Hogg A, Mooney S, Jones P, Lister D, Mayewski P & Turney CS (2018) Evidence for increased expression of the Amundsen Sea Low over the South Atlantic during the late Holocene, Climate of the Past, 14 (11) 1727-1738.
- Palmer JG, Turney CS, Fogwill C, Fenwick P, Thomas Z, Lipson M, Jones RT, Beaven B, Richardson SJ & Wilmshurst JM (2018) Growth response of an invasive alien species to climate variations on subantarctic Campbell Island, New Zealand Journal of Ecology, 42 (1) 31-39.
- Wilson KJ, Barthel A, Lipson M, Fogwill C & Turney C (2018) New breeding records of seabirds at carnley harbour (Auckland Islands), cossack rock (Campbell Island) and south coast of the snares, Notornis, 65 (3) 168-173.
- Turney CSM et al (2017) Tropical forcing of increased Southern Ocean climate variability revealed by a 140-year subantarctic temperature reconstruction, Climate of the Past, 13 (3) 231-248.
- Turney CSM et al (2017) Rapid global ocean-atmosphere response to Southern Ocean freshening during the last glacial, Nature Communications, 8 Article No. 520.
- Jones RT, Turney CSM, Lang B, Brooks SJ, Rundgren M, Hammarlund D, Björck S & Fogwill CJ (2017) Delayed maximum northern European summer temperatures during the Last Interglacial as a result of Greenland Ice Sheet melt, Geology, 45 (1) 23-26.
- Fogwill CJ et al (2017) Antarctic ice sheet discharge driven by atmosphere-ocean feedbacks at the Last Glacial Termination, Scientific Reports, 7 Article No. 39979.
- Golledge NR, Thomas ZA, Levy RH, Gasson EG, Naish TR, McKay RM, Kowalewski DE & Fogwill CJ (2017) Antarctic climate and ice-sheet configuration during the early Pliocene interglacial at 4.23 Ma, Climate of the Past, 13 (7) 959-975.
- Bracegirdle TJ et al (2016) A multidisciplinary perspective on climate model evaluation for Antarctica, Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, 97 (2) ES23-ES26.
- Wilson K. Turney CSM, Fogwill CJ & Blair E (2016) The impact of the giant iceberg B09B on population size and breeding success of Adélie penguins in Commonwealth Bay, Antarctica, Antarctic Science, 28 (3) 187-193.
- Wood JR, Wilmshurst JM, Turney CSM & Fogwill CJ (2016) Palaeoecological signatures of vegetation change induced by herbivory regime shifts on subantarctic Enderby Island, Quaternary Science Reviews, 134 51-58.
- Turney CSM, Palmer J, Hogg A, Fogwill CJ, Jones RT, Bronk Ramsey C, Fenwick P, Grierson P, Wilmshurst J, O'Donnell A, Thomas ZA & Lipson M (2016) Multidecadal variations in Southern Hemisphere atmospheric 14C: Evidence against a Southern Ocean sink at the end of the Little Ice Age CO2 anomaly, Global Biogeochemical Cycles, 30 (2) 211-218.
- Turney CSM, McGlone M, Palmer J, Fogwill C, Hogg A, Thomas ZA, Lipson M, Wilmshurst JM, Fenwick P, Jones RT, Hines BE & Clark GF (2016) Intensification of Southern Hemisphere westerly winds 2000-1000 years ago: Evidence from the subantarctic Campbell and Auckland Islands (52-50°S), Journal of Quaternary Science, 31 (1) 12-19.
- Phipps SJ, Fogwill CJ & Turney CSM (2016) Impacts of marine instability across the East Antarctic Ice Sheet on Southern Ocean dynamics, Cryosphere, 10 (5) 2317-2328.
- Turney CSM, Palmer J, Ramsey CB, Adolphi F, Muscheler R, Hughen KA, Staff RA, Jones RT, Thomas ZA, Fogwill CJ & Hogg A (2016) High-precision dating and correlation of ice, marine and terrestrial sequences spanning Heinrich Event 3: Testing mechanisms of interhemispheric change using New Zealand ancient kauri (Agathis australis), Quaternary Science Reviews, 137 126-134.
- Fogwill CJ, Sebille EV, Cougnon EA, Turney CS, Rintoul SR, Galton-Fenzi BK, Clark GF, Marzinelli EM, Rainsley EB & Carter L (2016) Brief communication: Impacts of a developing polynya off Commonwealth Bay, East Antarctica, triggered by grounding of iceberg B09B, Cryosphere, 10 (6) 2603-2609.
- Winter K, Woodward J, Dunning SA, Turney CS, Fogwill CJ, Hein AS, Golledge NR, Bingham RG, Marrero SM, Sugden DE & Ross N (2016) Assessing the continuity of the blue ice climate record at Patriot Hills, Horseshoe Valley, West Antarctica, Geophysical Research Letters, 43 (5) 2019-2026.
- Turney CSM, Jones RT, Lister D, Jones P, Williams AN, Hogg A, Thomas ZA, Compo GP, Yin X, Fogwill CJ, Palmer J, Colwell S, Allan R & Visbeck M (2016) Anomalous mid-twentieth century atmospheric circulation change over the South Atlantic compared to the last 6000 years, Environmental Research Letters, 11 (6) Article No. 064009.
- Turney CS, Jones RT, Fogwill C, Hatton J, Williams AN, Hogg A, Thomas ZA, Palmer J, Mooney S & Reimer RW (2016) A 250-year periodicity in Southern Hemisphere westerly winds over the last 2600 years, Climate of the Past, 12 (2) 189-200.
- Turney CSM, Thomas ZA, Hutchinson DK, Bradshaw CJ, Brook BW, England MH, Fogwill CJ, Jones RT, Palmer J, Hughen KA & Cooper A (2015) Obliquity-driven expansion of North Atlantic sea ice during the last glacial, Geophysical Research Letters, 42 (23) 10382-10390.
- Fogwill CJ, Turney CSM, Hutchinson DK, Taschetto AS & England MH (2015) Obliquity control on Southern Hemisphere climate during the last glacial, Scientific Reports, 5 Article No. 11673.
- Wilson KJ, Turney C, Fogwill C & Hunter J (2015) Low numbers and apparent long-term stability of South Polar Skuas Stercorarius maccormicki at Commonwealth Bay, Antarctica, Marine Ornithology, 43 (1) 103-106.
- Clark GF, Marzinelli EM, Fogwill CJ, Turney CSM & Johnston EL (2015) Effects of sea-ice cover on marine benthic communities: a natural experiment in Commonwealth Bay, East Antarctica, Polar Biology, 38 (8) 1213-1222.
- Van Sebille E, Waterman S, Barthel A, Lumpkin R, Keating SR, Fogwill C & Turney C (2015) Pairwise surface drifter separation in the western Pacific sector of the Southern Ocean, Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans, 120 (10) 6769-6781.
- Jones RS, Mackintosh AN, Norton KP, Golledge NR, Fogwill CJ, Kubik PW, Christl M & Greenwood SL (2015) Rapid Holocene thinning of an East Antarctic outlet glacier driven by marine ice sheet instability, Nature Communications, 6 Article No. 8910.
- Fogwill CJ, Phipps SJ, Turney CSM & Golledge NR (2015) Sensitivity of the Southern Ocean to enhanced regional Antarctic ice sheet meltwater input, Earth's Future, 3 (10) 317-329.
- Golledge NR, Kowalewski DE, Naish TR, Levy RH, Fogwill CJ & Gasson EGW (2015) The multi-millennial Antarctic commitment to future sea-level rise, Nature, 526 (7573) 421-425.
- Turney CS, Fogwill CJ, Klekociuk AR, Van Ommen TD, Curran MA, Moy AD & Palmer JG (2015) Tropical and mid-latitude forcing of continental Antarctic temperatures, Cryosphere, 9 (6) 2405-2415.
- Hein AS, Fogwill CJ, Sugden DE & Xu S (2014) Geological scatter of cosmogenic-nuclide exposure ages in the Shackleton Range, Antarctica: Implications for glacial history, Quaternary Geochronology, 19 52-66.
- Sugden DE, Fogwill CJ, Hein AS, Stuart FM, Kerr AR & Kubik PW (2014) Emergence of the Shackleton Range from beneath the Antarctic Ice Sheet due to glacial erosion, Geomorphology, 208 190-199.
- Fogwill CJ, Turney CSM, Golledge NR, Rood DH, Hippe K, Wacker L, Wieler R, Rainsley EB & Jones RS (2014) Drivers of abrupt Holocene shifts in West Antarctic ice stream direction determined from combined ice sheet modelling and geologic signatures, Antarctic Science, 26 (6) 674-686.
- Golledge NR, Menviel L, Carter L, Fogwill CJ, England MH, Cortese G & Levy RH (2014) Antarctic contribution to meltwater pulse 1A from reduced Southern Ocean overturning, Nature Communications, 5 Article No. 5107.
- The RAISED Consortium (2014) A community-based geological reconstruction of Antarctic Ice Sheet deglaciation since the Last Glacial Maximum, Quaternary Science Reviews, 100 1-9.
- Hillenbrand CD, Bentley MJ, Stolldorf TD, Hein AS, Kuhn G, Graham AG, Fogwill CJ, Kristoffersen Y, Smith JA, Anderson JB, Larter RD, Melles M, Hodgson DA, Mulvaney R & Sugden DE (2014) Reconstruction of changes in the Weddell Sea sector of the Antarctic Ice Sheet since the Last Glacial Maximum, Quaternary Science Reviews, 100 111-136.
- Fogwill C, Bingham R, Mackintosh A & Marchant D (2014) Standing on the shoulders of giants [Editorial], Antarctic Science, 26 (6) 601-602.
- Fogwill CJ, Turney CS, Meissner KJ, Golledge NR, Spence P, Roberts JL, England MH, Jones RT & Carter L (2014) Testing the sensitivity of the East Antarctic Ice Sheet to Southern Ocean dynamics: Past changes and future implications, Journal of Quaternary Science, 29 (1) 91-98.
- Turney C, Fogwill C, Van Ommen TD, Moy AD, Etheridge D, Rubino M, Curran MA & Rivera A (2013) Late Pleistocene and early Holocene change in the Weddell Sea: A new climate record from the Patriot Hills, Ellsworth Mountains, West Antarctica, Journal of Quaternary Science, 28 (7) 697-704.
- Golledge NR, Levy RH, McKay RM, Fogwill CJ, White DA, Graham AG, Smith JA, Hillenbrand CD, Licht KJ, Denton GH, Ackert Jr RP, Maas SM & Hall BL (2013) Glaciology and geological signature of the Last Glacial Maximum Antarctic ice sheet, Quaternary Science Reviews, 78 225-247.
- Boex J, Fogwill C, Harrison S, Glasser NF, Hein A, Schnabel C & Xu S (2013) Rapid thinning of the late Pleistocene Patagonian Ice Sheet followed migration of the Southern Westerlies, Scientific Reports, 3 Article No. 2118.
- Golledge NR, Fogwill CJ, Mackintosh AN & Buckley KM (2012) Dynamics of the last glacial maximum Antarctic ice-sheet and its response to ocean forcing, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 109 (40) 16052-16056.
- Fogwill CJ, Hein AS, Bentley MJ & Sugden DE (2012) Do blue-ice moraines in the Heritage Range show the West Antarctic ice sheet survived the last interglacial?, Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, 335-336 61-70.
- Hughes ALC, Rainsley E, Murray T, Fogwill CJ, Schnabel C & Xu S (2012) Rapid response of Helheim Glacier, southeast Greenland, to early Holocene climate warming, Geology, 40 (5) 427-430.
- Hein AS, Fogwill CJ, Sugden DE & Xu S (2011) Glacial/interglacial ice-stream stability in the Weddell Sea embayment, Antarctica, Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 307 (1-2) 211-221.
- Le Brocq AM, Bentley MJ, Hubbard A, Fogwill CJ, Sugden DE & Whitehouse PL (2011) Reconstructing the Last Glacial Maximum ice sheet in the Weddell Sea embayment, Antarctica, using numerical modelling constrained by field evidence, Quaternary Science Reviews, 30 (19-20) 2422-2432.
- Bentley MJ, Fogwill CJ, Le Brocq AM, Hubbard AL, Sugden DE, Dunai TJ & Freeman SP (2010) Deglacial history of the West Antarctic Ice Sheet in the Weddell Sea embayment: Constraints on past Ice volume change, Geology, 38 (5) 411-414.