Contact Professor Andrew Starr
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 758374
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Twitter: @@AndrewGStarr
- Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/starrandrew/
- Blog: http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Throughlife-Engineering-Services-3852571?gid=3852571&trk=hb_side_g
Areas of expertise
- Aeronautical Systems
- Electric and Hybrid Vehicles
- Engines, Powertrains & Alternative Fuels
- Industrial Automation
- Instrumentation & Sensors
- Mechatronics & Advanced Controls
- Sensor Technologies
- Systems Engineering
- Throughlife Engineering Services
- Vehicle Health Management
Professor Starr is Head of the Through-life Engineering Services Institute, a world-leading centre of excellence in maintenance and asset management for high value systems. The TES Institute works in partnership with industry in research and education.
Professor Starr read Mechanical Engineering at the University of Leeds, while sponsored by British Aerospace (Civil Aircraft), for which he was awarded first prize in the final year of his apprenticeship. He studied for his doctoral thesis in condition based maintenance for robotic production plant at the University of Manchester, sponsored by Ford and Wolfson Maintenance. He has held academic posts at the University of Huddersfield, the University of Manchester, and the University of Hertfordshire, as Head of the School of Aerospace, Automotive and Design Engineering.
His research work has been funded by EPSRC, the EU, and a wide range of industrial partners. He is a Chartered Engineer, a Fellow of the Royal Aeronautical Society, a Fellow of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, a member of the British Institute of Non-Destructive Testing and a member of the Institute of Asset Management. He has published over 150 technical papers from a wide range of collaborative projects with industry, helping to solve real problems and to devise innovative products and services.
- Industrial maintenance research, including systems, failure modes, vibration and wear debris, wireless sensing, automation, decision-making mathematics, and management processes
- IGear: Intelligent Gearbox for Endurance Advanced Rotorcraft - Cleansky 2 738144 - focusing on algorithms for reliable helicopters
- iBearing: Intelligent Bearing - Cleansky 2 687091 - developing automatic health monitoring for high-speed aero generators
- Chariot: powder sensing technology - detecting real-time change in processes with acoustic emissions
- Linear actuators - modelling and experimental degradation, diagnostics and prognostics
- Gearbox degradation: surface damage and root cracking
- Integrated through-life support for high-value systems: aiming to enable improved integration between architectural levels in data-rich environments in automated, intelligent maintenance, responding to business pull and demonstrating value
- Director of Education for the School of Aerospace, Transport and Manufacturing - responsible for academic quality and innovation.
- Active Space Technologies
- Avio Aero
- BAE Systems
- Barden Bearings
- Network Rail
- Procter & Gamble
- Sellafield Ltd
- UK Space Agency
Articles In Journals
- Ruiz-Carcel C & Star A (2018) Data-based detection and diagnosis of faults in linear actuators, IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, 67 (9) 2035-2047.
- Durazo-Cardenas I, Starr A, Turner CJ, Tiwari A, Kirkwood L, Bevilacqua M, Tsourdos A, Shehab E, Baguley P & Xu Y (2018) An autonomous system for maintenance scheduling data-rich complex infrastructure: Fusing the railways’ condition, planning and cost, Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies, 89 (April) 234-253.
- Ruiz-Carcel C, Starr A & Nsugbe E (2018) Estimation of powder mass flow rate in a screw feeder using acoustic emissions, Powder Technology, 336 122-130.
- Nsugbe E, Starr A, Jennions I & Ruiz Carcel C (2017) Particle size distribution estimation of a mixture of regular and irregular sized particles using acoustic emissions, Procedia Manufacturing, 11 2252-2259.
- Khan MA, Basit K, Khan SZ, Khan KA & Starr AG (2017) Experimental assessment of multiple contact wear using airborne noise under dry and lubricated conditions, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part J: Journal of Engineering Tribology, Early online (12).
- Turner C, Ravi PT, Tiwari A, Starr A & Blacktop K (2017) A software architecture for autonomous maintenance scheduling: Scenarios for UK and European rail, International Journal of Transport Development and Integration, 1 (3) 371-381.
- Nsugbe E, Starr A, Jennions I & Ruiz-Carcel C (2017) Online particle size distribution estimation of a mixture of similar sized particles with acoustic emissions, Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 885 (Conference 1) Article No. 012009 - .
- Nsugbe E, Starr A & Ruiz Carcel C (2016) Monitoring the particle size distribution of a powder mixing process with acoustic emissions: a review, Engineering & Technology (E&T) Reference, 2016 1-12.
- Turner C, Tiwari A, Starr A & Blacktop K (2016) A review of key planning and scheduling in the rail industry in Europe and UK, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part F: Journal of Rail and Rapid Transit, 230 (3) 984-998.
- Rodrigues D, Erkoyuncu J, Starr A, Wilding S, Dibble A, Laity M, Owen R, (2015) A conceptual framework to assess the impact of training on equipment cost and availability in the military context, Procedia CIRP, 38 112-117.
- Durazo-Cardenas I, Starr A, Tsourdos A, Bevilacqua M & Morineau J (2014) Precise vehicle location as a fundamental parameter for intelligent selfaware rail-track maintenance systems, Procedia CIRP, 22 219-224.
- Rzeszucinski PJ, Sinha JK, Edwards R, Starr A & Allen B (2012) Amplitude of probability density function (APDF) of vibration response as a robust tool for gearbox diagnosis, Strain, 48 (6) 510-516.
- Rzeszucinski PJ, Sinha JK, Edwards R, Starr A & Allen B (2012) Normalised Root Mean Square and Amplitude of Sidebands of Vibration Response as Tools for Gearbox Diagnosis, Strain, 48 (6) 445-452.
- Phillips P, Diston D & Starr A (2011) Perspectives on the commercial development of landing gear health monitoring systems, Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies, 19 (6) 1339-1352.
- Phillips P, Diston D & Starr A (2011) Towards a business enterprise strategy to support the integration of proactive aerospace maintenance technologies, Insight: Non-Destructive Testing & Condition Monitoring, 53 (9) 502-506.
- Albarbar A, Gu F, Ball AD & Starr A (2010) Acoustic monitoring of engine fuel injection based on adaptive filtering techniques, Applied Acoustics, 71 (12) 1132-1141.
- Anvari F, Edwards R & Starr A (2010) Evaluation of overall equipment effectiveness based on market, Journal of Quality in Maintenance Engineering, 16 (3) 256-270.
- Anvari F, Edwards R & Starr A (2010) Methodology and theory evaluation of overall equipment effectiveness based on market, Journal of Quality in Maintenance Engineering, 16 (3) 256-270.
- Khan MA, Cooper D & Starr A (2009) BS-ISO helical gear fatigue life estimation and wear quantitative feature analysis, Strain, 45 (4) 358-363.
- Albarbar A, Badri A, Sinha JK & Starr A (2009) Performance evaluation of MEMS accelerometers, Measurement, 42 (5) 790-795.
- Khan MA, Starr AG & Cooper D (2008) A methodology for online wear debris morphology and composition analysis, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part J: Journal of Engineering Tribology, 222 (7) 785-796.
- Albarbar A, Mekid S, Starr A & Pietruszkiewicz R (2008) Suitability of MEMS accelerometers for condition monitoring: An experimental study, Sensors, 8 (2) 784-799.
- Albarbar A, Ball A & Starr A (2008) On acoustic measurement-based condition monitoring of internal combustion engines, Insight: Non-Destructive Testing & Condition Monitoring, 50 (1) 30-34.
- Khan MA & Starr AG (2007) Theoretical and experimental working life comparison for a helical gear under linear pitting failure, Applied Mechanics and Materials, 7-8 95-100.
- Albarbar A, Gu F, Ball A & Starr A (2007) Internal combustion engine lubricating oil condition monitoring based on vibro-acoustic measurements, Insight: Non-Destructive Testing & Condition Monitoring, 49 (12) 715-718.
- Khan MA, Starr AG & Cooper D (2007) Academic and commercial efforts in Wear Debris Analysis Automation (WDAA), Insight: Non-Destructive Testing & Condition Monitoring, 49 (12) 726-732.
- Moore WJ & Starr AG (2006) An intelligent maintenance system for continuous cost-based prioritisation of maintenance activities, Computers in Industry, 57 (6) 595-606.
- Khan MA & Starr AG (2006) Wear debris: basic features and machine health diagnostics, Insight: Non-Destructive Testing & Condition Monitoring, 48 (8) 470-476.
- Willetts R, Starr AG, Doyle A & Barnes J (2005) Generating adaptive alarms for condition monitoring data, International Journal of Comadem, 8 (3) 26-36.
- Esteban J, Starr A, Willetts R, Hannah P & Bryanston-Cross P (2005) A review of data fusion models and architectures: Towards engineering guidelines, Neural Computing and Applications, 14 (4) 273-281.
- Moore T, Starr A & Hesketh G (2004) A hierarchical multi-stage data fusion approach to non-destructive evaluation of aero engine components, Insight: Non-Destructive Testing & Condition Monitoring, 46 (8) 468-472.
- Hu W, Starr AG & Leung AYT (2003) Operational fault diagnosis of manufacturing systems, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 133 (1-2) 108-117.
- Starr A, Hannah P, Esteban J & Willetts R (2002) Data fusion as a model for advanced condition-based maintenance, Insight - Non-Destructive Testing & Condition Monitoring, 44 (8) 503-507.
- Hu W, Starr A, Zhou Z & Leung A (2001) An intelligent integrated system scheme for machine tool diagnostics, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 18 (11) 836-841.
- Hu W, Starr A & Leung A (2001) A multisensor-based system for manufacturing process monitoring, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture, 215 (9) 1165-1175.
- Starr A & Ball A (2000) Systems integration in maintenance engineering, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part E: Journal of Process Mechanical Engineering, 214 (2) 79-95.
- Hu W, Starr AG, Zhou Z & Leung AYT (2000) Systematic approach to integrated fault diagnosis of flexible manufacturing systems, International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, 40 (11) 1587-1602.
- Stanley P & Starr AG (2000) Stress concentrations at an oblique hole in a thick plate, Journal of Strain Analysis for Engineering Design, 35 (2) 143-147.
- Rajendran S, Leung AYT, Starr AG & Chan JKW (1999) Bifurcation and stability of a three-hinged rod under a conservative load, International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, 44 (5) 657-696.
- Hu W, Starr AG & Leung AYT (1999) Two diagnostic models for PLC controlled flexible manufacturing systems, International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, 39 (12) 1979-1991.
- Starr AG, Wynne RJ & Kennedy I (1999) Failure analysis of mature robots in automated production, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture, 213 (8) 813-824.
- Emmanouilidis C, Pistofidis P, Fournaris A, Bevilacqua M, Durazo-Cardenas I, Botsaris PN, Katsouros V, Koulamas C & Starr AG (2016) Context-based and human-centred information fusion in diagnostics. In: 3rd IFAc Workshop on Advanced Maintenance Engineering, Services and Technology AMEST 2016, Biarritz, 19-21 October 2016.
- Bevilacqua M, Tsourdos A & Starr A (2016) Egomotion estimation for monocular camera visual odometer. In: 2016 IEEE International Instrumentation and Measurement Technology Conference, Taipei, 23-26 May 2016.
- Durazo-Cardenas I, Amaraegbeni C & Starr A (2016) Fusion of railway network data streams for asset usage in intelligent maintenance systems. In: EuroMaintenance 2016, Athens, 30 May - 1 June 2016.
- Nsugbe E, Starr A, Foote P, Ruiz-Carcel C & Jennions I (2016) Size Differentiation Of A Continuous Stream Of Particles Using Acoustic Emissions. In: 20th Innovative Manufacturing Engineering and Energy Conference (IManEE 2016), Kozani, Greece, 23-25 September 2016.
- Ruiz-Carcel C & Starr A (2015) Development of a novel condition monitoring tool for linear actuators. In: 12th International Conference on Condition Monitoring and Machinery Failure Prevention Technologies, Oxford, 9-11 June 2015.
- Turner CJ, Tiwari A, Starr A, Durazo-Cardenas I & Blacktop K (2015) An intelligent framework and prototype for autonomous maintenance planning in the rail industry. In: 1st international conference on vehicle technology and intelligent transport systems (VEHITS 2015), Lisbon, 20-22 May 2015.
- Bevilacqua M, Tsourdos A, Starr A & Durazo-Cardenas I (2015) Data fusion strategy for precise vehicle location for intelligent self-aware maintenance systems. In: IEEE 6th International Conference on Intelligent Systems, Modelling and Simulation (ISMS), 2015, Kuala Lumpur, 9-12 February 2015.
- Rodrigues D, Erkoyuncu J, Starr A, Wilding S, Dibble A & Laity M (2015) Review of the modelling approaches for availability contracts in the military context. In: 7th Industrial Product-Service Systems Conference - PSS, industry transformation for sustainability and business, Ecole des Mines Saint-Etienne, France, 21-22 May 2015.
- Kirkwood L, Shehab E, Baguley P & Starr A (2015) Uncertainty of net present value calculations and the impact on applying integrated maintenance approaches to the UK rail industry. In: 4th International Conference on Through-life Engineering Services (TESConf 2015), Cranfield University, 3-4 November 2015.
- Durazo-Cardenas I, Starr A, Turner C, Kirkwood L, Bevilacqua M, Baguley P & Shehab E (2015) An Intelligent Maintenance System for the Rail: Integrating Condition, Planning and Cost. In: Railway Engineering 2015, Edinburgh, 30 June 2015.
- Starr A, Hannah P, Esteban J & Willetts R (2001) Data fusion as a model for advanced condition based maintenance. In: 2001 International Congress on Condition Monitoring and Diagnostic Engineering Management (COMADEM '01), Manchester.
- Moore TD & Starr A (2001) Development of an automated fluorescent dye penetrant inspection system. In: 14th International Congress on Condition monitoring and diagnostic engineering management (COMADEM 2001), Manchester, 4 September 2001 - 6 September 2011.
- Hannah P, Starr A & Bryanston-Cross P (2001) Condition monitoring and diagnostic engineering - A data fusion approach. In: 14th International Congress on Condition monitoring and diagnostic engineering management (COMADEM 2001), Manchester, 4 September 2001 - 6 September 2011.
- Starr A, Esteban J, Hannah P, Willetts R & Bryanston-Cross P (2000) Strategies in data fusion for condition monitoring. In: Quality, Reliability and Maintenance 2000 (QRM 2000), Oxford, 30-31 March 2000.
- Starr A, Desforges M & Esteban J (1999) Strategies in data fusion - A condition monitoring approach. In: 1999 International congress on condition monitoring and diagnostic engineering management (COMADEM '99), Sunderland.
- Starr AG (1997) Structured approach to the selection of condition based maintenance. In: 5th International Conference on Factory 2000: The Technology Exploitation Process, 1997, Cambridge, 2-4 April 1997.
- Boyd A, Connolly C & Starr A (1997) Surface defect and texture identification in construction materials. In: 6th International Conference on Image Processing and Its Applications, Dublin, 14-17 July 1997.
- Starr A (1995) 3D machine vision metrology. In: 2nd International Conference and Exhibition on Laser Metrology and Machine Performance (LAMDAMAP 95), Southampton, 11 July 1995.
- Starr A, Wynne RJ & Kennedy I (1994) Using condition monitoring to enhance robot position control. In: 12th IFAC World Congress 1993, Sydney, 8-23 July 1993.
- Gilabert E, Jantunen E, Emmanouilidis C, Starr A & Arnaiz A (2013) Optimizing E-maintenance through intelligent data processing systems. In: Engineering Asset Management 2011, London: Springer, p. 1-9.
- Starr A, Al-Najjar B, Holmberg K, Jantunen E, Bellew J & Albarbar A (2010) Maintenance today and future trends. In: E-maintenance. Holmberg K, Jantunen E, Adgar A, Mascolo J, Arnaiz A, Mekid S (ed.), London: Springer, p. 5-37, ed. 1.
- Mekid S, Starr A, Pietruszkiewicz & R (2010) Intelligent Wireless Sensors. In: E-maintenance. Holmberg K, Jantunen E, Adgar A, Mascolo J, Arnaiz A, Mekid S (ed.), London: Springer, p. 83-123.