Contact Professor Andrew Starr
Areas of expertise
- Aeronautical Systems
- Engines, Powertrains & Alternative Fuels
- Industrial Automation
- Instrumentation, Sensors and Measurement Science
- Mechatronics & Advanced Controls
- Sensor Technologies
- Systems Engineering
- Through-life Engineering Services
- Vehicle Health Management
Professor Starr is Head of the Centre for Life-cycle Engineering and Management (CLEM), a world-leading centre of excellence in maintenance and asset management for high value systems. CLEM works in partnership with industry in research and education.
Professor Starr read Mechanical Engineering at the University of Leeds, while sponsored by British Aerospace (Civil Aircraft), for which he was awarded first prize in the final year of his apprenticeship. He studied for his doctoral thesis in condition based maintenance for robotic production plant at the University of Manchester, sponsored by Ford and Wolfson Maintenance. He has held academic posts at the University of Huddersfield, the University of Manchester, and the University of Hertfordshire, as Head of the School of Aerospace, Automotive and Design Engineering.
His research work has been funded by EPSRC, the EU, and a wide range of industrial partners. He is a Chartered Engineer, a Fellow of the Royal Aeronautical Society, a Fellow of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, a member of the British Institute of Non-Destructive Testing, a member of the Institute of Asset Management, a member of the International Society for Condition Monitoring, and a member of the Permanent Way Institute. He has published over 150 technical papers from a wide range of collaborative projects with industry, helping to solve real problems and to devise innovative products and services.
Prof Starr supervises research students focusing on machine and structural damage detection; diagnostics and prognostics; autonomous inspection, detection and robotics; "big data" for system monitoring and control; process monitoring; novel sensing and signal processing; algorithms and artificial intelligence; applications in railway infrastructure and vehicles; aerospace machines especially gearboxes; manufacturing, and defence systems.
Current activitiesProjects focus on industrial maintenance research, including autonomous systems, failure modes, vibration and wear debris, wireless sensing, automation, decision-making mathematics, and management processes
- 2017-2022, EPSRC Platform Grant EP/P019358/1, Through-life performance: From science to instrumentation, £1.18m, Starr et al (PI), with Rolls-Royce, Bombardier Transportation, Network Rail, HVM Catapult.
- 2020-2022, Network Rail, 22245/02/6559, System Integration (part of In2Smart 2 Grant number 881574 WP13 in Shift2Rail) - unmanned ground vehicle
- 2020-2021, Network Rail, ECM22352, Autonomous Track Geometry Repair (part of In2Track2 Grant number 826255 22.214.171.124 in Shift2Rail)
- 2020-2021, Network Rail, ECM21659, Autonomous ultrasonic testing, (part of In2Track2 Grant number 826255 126.96.36.199 in Shift2Rail) (PI Durazo)
- 2020-2021, Network Rail, Remote monitoring of rail defects (part of In2Track2 Grant number 826255 188.8.131.52 in Shift2Rail), (PI Durazo)
- 2020-2023, Network Rail, PhDs in location, navigation and scale; modelling and test.
- 2018, Network Rail, 13453/02/6559 Rail Robot Demonstrator and Cobots, part of Shift2Rail In2Smart WP10, Grant number 730569 CIs Tomiyama, Durazo Cardenas, Kirkwood
- 2018, Network Rail, 13451/02/6559 Simulations and V&V for Railway Inspection and Repair System (RIRS), part of Shift2Rail In2Smart WP10, Grant number 730569, CI Tomiyama
- 2018, Network Rail, 11032/02/6559 Non-contact system for detecting rail defects based on laser Doppler vibrometry and thermography, part of Shift2Rail In2Smart WP3, Grant number 730569 CI Durazo Cardenas
- 2017-2020, Unipart Rail, PhD Studentship in “Big data” for predictive maintenance
- 2020-2021, SNCF, Whole system design of next generation Switches and Crossings (part of In2Track 2 Grant number 826255 in Shift2Rail)
- 2018, Network Rail, 3441804 Self-adjusting Switches and Crossings, £49,000, part of Shift2Rail In2Track WP2, Grant number 730841, CI Durazo Cardenas
- 2016-2021 IGear: Intelligent Gearbox for Endurance Advanced Rotorcraft - Cleansky 2 738144 - focusing on algorithms for reliable helicopters (coordinator)
- Active Space Technologies
- Avio Aero
- BAE Systems
- Barden Bearings
- Network Rail
- Procter & Gamble
- Sellafield Ltd
- UK Space Agency
- Unipart Rail
Articles In Journals
- Alqahtani IM, Starr A & Khan M (2022) Experimental and theoretical aspects of crack assisted failures of metallic alloys in corrosive environments – a review, Materials Today: Proceedings, 66 (4) 2530-2535.
- Omar I, Khan M & Starr A (2022) Compatibility and challenges in machine learning approach for structural crack assessment, Structural Health Monitoring, 21 (5) 2481-2502.
- Samuel OC, Starr A & Muhammad KA (2022) Monitoring evolution of debris-filled damage using pre-modulated wave and guided wave ultrasonic testing (GWUT), Measurement, 199 (August) Article No. 111558.
- Rahimi M, Liu H, Durazo Cardenas I, Starr A, Hall A & Anderson R (2022) A review on technologies for localisation and navigation in autonomous railway maintenance systems, Sensors, 22 (11) Article No. 4185.
- Khalel H, Khan M, Starr A, Khan KA & Muhammad A (2021) Performance of engineered fibre reinforced concrete (EFRC) under different load regimes: a review, Construction and Building Materials, 306 (November) Article No. 124692.
- Liu H, Du W, Nezhad Hamed Y, Starr A & Zhao Y (2021) A dissection and enhancement technique for combined damage characterisation in composite laminates using laser-line scanning thermography, Composite Structures, 271 (September) Article No. 114168. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.14668968
- Olisa SC, Khan MA & Starr A (2021) Review of current guided wave ultrasonic testing (GWUT) limitations and future directions, Sensors, 21 (3) Article No. 811.
- Liu H, Tinsley L, Lam W, Addepalli S, Liu X, Starr A & Zhao Y (2020) A novel inspection technique for electronic components using thermography (NITECT), Sensors, 20 (17) Article No. 5013.
- Zhao Y, Liu H, Tinsley L, Addepalli P & Starr A (2020) Detectability evaluation of attributes anomaly for electronic components using pulsed thermography, Infrared Physics and Technology, 111 (December) Article No. 103513.
- Al-Shdifat A, Emmanouilidis C, Khan M & Starr AG (2020) Ontology – based context resolution in internet of things enabled diagnostics, IFAC-PapersOnLine, 53 (3) 251-256.
- Namoano B, Emmanouilidis C, Ruiz Carcel C & Starr A (2020) Change detection in streaming data analytics: a comparison of Bayesian online and martingale approaches, IFAC-PapersOnLine, 53 (3) 336-341.
- Fleet T, Kamei K, He F, Khan MA, Khan KA & Starr A (2020) A machine learning approach to model interdependencies between dynamic response and crack propagation, Sensors, 20 (23) Article No. 6847.
- Al-Shdifat A, Emmanouilidis C, Khan M & Starr AG (2020) Ontology-based context modeling in physical asset integrity management, Frontiers in Computer Science, 2 (October) Article No. 578673.
- Nsugbe E, Starr A, Jennions I & Ruiz-Carcel C (2019) Estimation of online particle size distribution of a particle mixture in free fall with acoustic emission, Particulate Science and Technology, 37 (8) 953-963.
- Ruiz-Carcel C, Starr A & Nsugbe E (2018) Estimation of powder mass flow rate in a screw feeder using acoustic emissions, Powder Technology, 336 (August) 122-130.
- Ruiz-Carcel C & Star A (2018) Data-based detection and diagnosis of faults in linear actuators, IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, 67 (9) 2035-2047.
- Nsugbe E, Ruiz-Carcel C, Starr A & Jennions I (2018) Estimation of fine and oversize particle ratio in a heterogeneous compound with acoustic emissions, Sensors, 18 (3) Article No. 851.
- Durazo-Cardenas I, Starr A, Turner CJ, Tiwari A, Kirkwood L, Bevilacqua M, Tsourdos A, Shehab E, Baguley P & Xu Y (2018) An autonomous system for maintenance scheduling data-rich complex infrastructure: Fusing the railways’ condition, planning and cost, Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies, 89 (April) 234-253.
- Khan M, Khan K, Khan S, Nisar S & Starr A (2018) Fracture life estimation of Al-1050 thin beams using empirical data and a numerical approach, Insight: Non-Destructive Testing & Condition Monitoring, 60 (7) 363-368.
- Tedeschi S, Rodrigues D, Emmanouilidis C, Erkoyuncu J, Roy R & Starr A (2018) A cost estimation approach for IoT modular architectures implementation in legacy systems, Procedia Manufacturing, 19 103-110.
- Durazo-Cardenas I, Starr A, Sousa R, Ferreira J, Mota A, Kram M, Hughes G, Bytnar P & Bel F (2018) Towards health monitoring of hybrid ceramic bearings in aircraft starter/generators, Procedia Manufacturing, 19 50-57.
- Khan MA, Basit K, Khan SZ, Khan KA & Starr AG (2017) Experimental assessment of multiple contact wear using airborne noise under dry and lubricated conditions, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part J: Journal of Engineering Tribology, 231 (12) 1503-1516.
- Nsugbe E, Starr A, Jennions I & Ruiz Carcel C (2017) Particle size distribution estimation of a mixture of regular and irregular sized particles using acoustic emissions, Procedia Manufacturing, 11 2252-2259.
- Turner C, Ravi PT, Tiwari A, Starr A & Blacktop K (2017) A software architecture for autonomous maintenance scheduling: Scenarios for UK and European rail, International Journal of Transport Development and Integration, 1 (3) 371-381.
- Nsugbe E, Starr A & Ruiz Carcel C (2016) Monitoring the particle size distribution of a powder mixing process with acoustic emissions: a review, Engineering & Technology (E&T) Reference, 2016 1-12.
- Emmanouilidis C, Pistofidis P, Fournaris A, Bevilacqua M, Durazo-Cardenas I, Botsaris PN, Katsouros V, Koulamas C & Starr AG (2016) Context-based and human-centred information fusion in diagnostics, IFAC-PapersOnLine, 49 (28) 220-225.
- Turner C, Tiwari A, Starr A & Blacktop K (2016) A review of key planning and scheduling in the rail industry in Europe and UK, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part F: Journal of Rail and Rapid Transit, 230 (3) 984-998.
- Kirkwood L, Shehab E, Baguley P & Starr A (2015) Uncertainty of net present value calculations and the impact on applying integrated maintenance approaches to the UK rail industry, Procedia CIRP, 38 245-249.
- Rodrigues D, Erkoyuncu J, Starr A, Wilding S, Dibble A, Laity M, Owen R, (2015) A conceptual framework to assess the impact of training on equipment cost and availability in the military context, Procedia CIRP, 38 112-117.
- Durazo-Cardenas I, Starr A, Tsourdos A, Bevilacqua M & Morineau J (2014) Precise vehicle location as a fundamental parameter for intelligent selfaware rail-track maintenance systems, Procedia CIRP, 22 219-224.
- Rzeszucinski PJ, Sinha JK, Edwards R, Starr A & Allen B (2012) Amplitude of probability density function (APDF) of vibration response as a robust tool for gearbox diagnosis, Strain, 48 (6) 510-516.
- Rzeszucinski PJ, Sinha JK, Edwards R, Starr A & Allen B (2012) Normalised Root Mean Square and Amplitude of Sidebands of Vibration Response as Tools for Gearbox Diagnosis, Strain, 48 (6) 445-452.
- Phillips P, Diston D & Starr A (2011) Perspectives on the commercial development of landing gear health monitoring systems, Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies, 19 (6) 1339-1352.
- Phillips P, Diston D & Starr A (2011) Towards a business enterprise strategy to support the integration of proactive aerospace maintenance technologies, Insight: Non-Destructive Testing & Condition Monitoring, 53 (9) 502-506.
- Anvari F, Edwards R & Starr A (2010) Evaluation of overall equipment effectiveness based on market, Journal of Quality in Maintenance Engineering, 16 (3) 256-270.
- Anvari F, Edwards R & Starr A (2010) Methodology and theory evaluation of overall equipment effectiveness based on market, Journal of Quality in Maintenance Engineering, 16 (3) 256-270.
- Albarbar A, Gu F, Ball AD & Starr A (2010) Acoustic monitoring of engine fuel injection based on adaptive filtering techniques, Applied Acoustics, 71 (12) 1132-1141.
- Khan MA, Cooper D & Starr A (2009) BS-ISO helical gear fatigue life estimation and wear quantitative feature analysis, Strain, 45 (4) 358-363.
- Albarbar A, Badri A, Sinha JK & Starr A (2009) Performance evaluation of MEMS accelerometers, Measurement, 42 (5) 790-795.
- Khan MA, Starr AG & Cooper D (2008) A methodology for online wear debris morphology and composition analysis, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part J: Journal of Engineering Tribology, 222 (7) 785-796.
- Albarbar A, Mekid S, Starr A & Pietruszkiewicz R (2008) Suitability of MEMS accelerometers for condition monitoring: An experimental study, Sensors, 8 (2) 784-799.
- Albarbar A, Ball A & Starr A (2008) On acoustic measurement-based condition monitoring of internal combustion engines, Insight: Non-Destructive Testing & Condition Monitoring, 50 (1) 30-34.
- Khan MA & Starr AG (2007) Theoretical and experimental working life comparison for a helical gear under linear pitting failure, Applied Mechanics and Materials, 7-8 95-100.
- Albarbar A, Gu F, Ball A & Starr A (2007) Internal combustion engine lubricating oil condition monitoring based on vibro-acoustic measurements, Insight: Non-Destructive Testing & Condition Monitoring, 49 (12) 715-718.
- Khan MA, Starr AG & Cooper D (2007) Academic and commercial efforts in Wear Debris Analysis Automation (WDAA), Insight: Non-Destructive Testing & Condition Monitoring, 49 (12) 726-732.
- Moore WJ & Starr AG (2006) An intelligent maintenance system for continuous cost-based prioritisation of maintenance activities, Computers in Industry, 57 (6) 595-606.
- Khan MA & Starr AG (2006) Wear debris: basic features and machine health diagnostics, Insight: Non-Destructive Testing & Condition Monitoring, 48 (8) 470-476.
- Willetts R, Starr AG, Doyle A & Barnes J (2005) Generating adaptive alarms for condition monitoring data, International Journal of Comadem, 8 (3) 26-36.
- Esteban J, Starr A, Willetts R, Hannah P & Bryanston-Cross P (2005) A review of data fusion models and architectures: Towards engineering guidelines, Neural Computing and Applications, 14 (4) 273-281.
- Moore T, Starr A & Hesketh G (2004) A hierarchical multi-stage data fusion approach to non-destructive evaluation of aero engine components, Insight: Non-Destructive Testing & Condition Monitoring, 46 (8) 468-472.
- Hu W, Starr AG & Leung AYT (2003) Operational fault diagnosis of manufacturing systems, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 133 (1-2) 108-117.
- Starr A, Hannah P, Esteban J & Willetts R (2002) Data fusion as a model for advanced condition-based maintenance, Insight - Non-Destructive Testing & Condition Monitoring, 44 (8) 503-507.
- Hu W, Starr A, Zhou Z & Leung A (2001) An intelligent integrated system scheme for machine tool diagnostics, The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 18 (11) 836-841.
- Hu W, Starr A & Leung A (2001) A multisensor-based system for manufacturing process monitoring, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture, 215 (9) 1165-1175.
- Starr A & Ball A (2000) Systems integration in maintenance engineering, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part E: Journal of Process Mechanical Engineering, 214 (2) 79-95.
- Hu W, Starr AG, Zhou Z & Leung AYT (2000) Systematic approach to integrated fault diagnosis of flexible manufacturing systems, International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, 40 (11) 1587-1602.
- Stanley P & Starr AG (2000) Stress concentrations at an oblique hole in a thick plate, Journal of Strain Analysis for Engineering Design, 35 (2) 143-147.
- Rajendran S, Leung AYT, Starr AG & Chan JKW (1999) Bifurcation and stability of a three-hinged rod under a conservative load, International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, 44 (5) 657-696.
- Hu W, Starr AG & Leung AYT (1999) Two diagnostic models for PLC controlled flexible manufacturing systems, International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, 39 (12) 1979-1991.
- Starr AG, Wynne RJ & Kennedy I (1999) Failure analysis of mature robots in automated production, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture, 213 (8) 813-824.
- Starr A, Wynne RJ & Kennedy I (1994) Using condition monitoring to enhance robot position control, IFAC Proceedings Volumes, 26 (2, pt.5) 823-826.
- Rahman M, Liu H, Rahimi M, Ruiz Carcel C, Kirkwood L, Durazo Cardenas I & Starr A (2021) Investigating precision and accuracy of a robotic inspection and repair system. In: TESConf 2021: 10th International Conference on Through-life Engineering Services, Virtual Event: Host: University of Twente, 16-17 November 2021.
- Rahimi M, Liu H, Rahman M, Ruiz Carcel C, Durazo Cardenas I, Starr A, Hall A & Anderson R (2021) Localisation and navigation framework for autonomous railway robotic inspection and repair system. In: TESConf 2021: 10th International Conference on Through-life Engineering Services, Virtual Event: Host: University of Twente, 16-17 November 2021.
- Wood A, Kirkwood L, Feng Z, Alhaydhal S, Alomran A, Bin Taleb R, Durazo-Cardenas I & Starr A (2021) Cost data visualisation. In: Advances in Manufacturing Technology XXXIV, Derby, 7-10 September 2021.
- Rahman M, Liu H, Durazo Cardenas I, Starr A, Hall A & Anderson R (2021) Towards an autonomous RIRS: design, structure investigation and framework. In: 7th International Conference on Mechatronics and Robotics Engineering, 2021 (ICMRE), Budapest, Hungary, 3-5 February 2021.
- Namoano B, Starr A, Emmanouilidis C & Ruiz Carcel C (2019) Online change detection techniques in time series: an overview. In: 2019 IEEE International Conference on Prognostics and Health Management (ICPHM), San Francisco, 17-20 June 2019.
- Nsugbe E, Starr A, Foote P, Ruiz-Carcel C & Jennions I (2016) Size differentiation of a continuous stream of particles using acoustic emissions. In: 20th Innovative Manufacturing Engineering and Energy Conference (IManEE 2016), Kozani, Greece, 23-25 September 2016.
- Durazo-Cardenas I, Amaraegbeni C & Starr A (2016) Fusion of railway network data streams for asset usage in intelligent maintenance systems. In: EuroMaintenance 2016, Athens, 30 May - 1 June 2016.
- Bevilacqua M, Tsourdos A & Starr A (2016) Egomotion estimation for monocular camera visual odometer. In: 2016 IEEE International Instrumentation and Measurement Technology Conference, Taipei, 23-26 May 2016.
- Durazo-Cardenas I, Starr A, Turner C, Kirkwood L, Bevilacqua M, Baguley P & Shehab E (2015) An Intelligent Maintenance System for the Rail: Integrating Condition, Planning and Cost. In: Railway Engineering 2015, Edinburgh, 30 June - 1 July 2015.
- Turner CJ, Tiwari A, Starr A, Durazo-Cardenas I & Blacktop K (2015) An intelligent framework and prototype for autonomous maintenance planning in the rail industry. In: 1st international conference on vehicle technology and intelligent transport systems (VEHITS 2015), Lisbon, 20-22 May 2015.
- Bevilacqua M, Tsourdos A, Starr A & Durazo-Cardenas I (2015) Data fusion strategy for precise vehicle location for intelligent self-aware maintenance systems. In: IEEE 6th International Conference on Intelligent Systems, Modelling and Simulation (ISMS), 2015, Kuala Lumpur, 9-12 February 2015.
- Rodrigues D, Erkoyuncu J, Starr A, Wilding S, Dibble A & Laity M (2015) Review of the modelling approaches for availability contracts in the military context. In: 7th Industrial Product-Service Systems Conference - PSS, industry transformation for sustainability and business, Ecole des Mines Saint-Etienne, France, 21-22 May 2015.
- Ruiz-Carcel C & Starr A (2015) Development of a novel condition monitoring tool for linear actuators. In: 12th International Conference on Condition Monitoring and Machinery Failure Prevention Technologies, Oxford, 9-11 June 2015.
- Badi N, Phang A, Edwards R, Chen Y, Rzeszucinski P, Sinha J, Mao K, Jones R, Curran A, Shepherd D, Starr A, Khan M, Allen B & Marshall M (2011) The EUCAMS gear partnership - a model of industry/academic collaboration. In: 8th International Conference on Condition Monitoring and Machinery Failure Prevention Technologies Conference, 2011, Cardiff, 20-22 June 2011.
- Starr A, Hannah P, Esteban J & Willetts R (2001) Data fusion as a model for advanced condition based maintenance. In: 2001 International Congress on Condition Monitoring and Diagnostic Engineering Management (COMADEM '01), Manchester.
- Moore TD & Starr A (2001) Development of an automated fluorescent dye penetrant inspection system. In: 14th International Congress on Condition monitoring and diagnostic engineering management (COMADEM 2001), Manchester, 4 September 2001 - 6 September 2011.
- Hannah P, Starr A & Bryanston-Cross P (2001) Condition monitoring and diagnostic engineering - A data fusion approach. In: 14th International Congress on Condition monitoring and diagnostic engineering management (COMADEM 2001), Manchester, 4 September 2001 - 6 September 2011.
- Starr A, Esteban J, Hannah P, Willetts R & Bryanston-Cross P (2000) Strategies in data fusion for condition monitoring. In: Quality, Reliability and Maintenance 2000 (QRM 2000), Oxford, 30-31 March 2000.
- Starr A, Desforges M & Esteban J (1999) Strategies in data fusion - A condition monitoring approach. In: 1999 International congress on condition monitoring and diagnostic engineering management (COMADEM '99), Sunderland.
- Boyd A, Connolly C & Starr A (1997) Surface defect and texture identification in construction materials. In: 6th International Conference on Image Processing and Its Applications, Dublin, 14-17 July 1997.
- Starr AG (1997) Structured approach to the selection of condition based maintenance. In: 5th International Conference on Factory 2000: The Technology Exploitation Process, 1997, Cambridge, 2-4 April 1997.
- Starr A (1995) 3D machine vision metrology. In: 2nd International Conference and Exhibition on Laser Metrology and Machine Performance (LAMDAMAP 1995), Southampton, 11 July 1995.
- Gilabert E, Jantunen E, Emmanouilidis C, Starr A & Arnaiz A (2013) Optimizing E-maintenance through intelligent data processing systems. In: Engineering Asset Management 2011, London: Springer, p. 1-9.
- Mekid S, Starr A, Pietruszkiewicz & R (2010) Intelligent Wireless Sensors. In: E-maintenance. Holmberg K, Jantunen E, Adgar A, Mascolo J, Arnaiz A, Mekid S (ed.), London: Springer, p. 83-123.
- Starr A, Al-Najjar B, Holmberg K, Jantunen E, Bellew J & Albarbar A (2010) Maintenance today and future trends. In: E-maintenance. Holmberg K, Jantunen E, Adgar A, Mascolo J, Arnaiz A, Mekid S (ed.), London: Springer, p. 5-37, ed. 1.