Areas of expertise
- Aeronautical Systems
- Electric and Hybrid Vehicles
- Engines, Powertrains & Alternative Fuels
- Industrial Automation
- Instrumentation & Sensors
- Mechatronics & Advanced Controls
- Sensor Technologies
- Systems Engineering
- Throughlife Engineering Services
- Vehicle Health Management
Professor Starr is Head of the Through-life Engineering Services Institute, a world-leading centre of excellence in maintenance and asset management for high value systems. The TES Institute works in partnership with industry in research and education.
Professor Starr read Mechanical Engineering at the University of Leeds, while sponsored by British Aerospace (Civil Aircraft), for which he was awarded first prize in the final year of his apprenticeship. He studied for his doctoral thesis in condition based maintenance for robotic production plant at the University of Manchester, sponsored by Ford and Wolfson Maintenance. He has held academic posts at the University of Huddersfield, the University of Manchester, and the University of Hertfordshire, as Head of the School of Aerospace, Automotive and Design Engineering.
His research work has been funded by EPSRC, the EU, and a wide range of industrial partners, including Corus, Fiat, Messier-Dowty, QinetiQ, Rolls-Royce, and Volvo. Professor Starr is a Chartered Engineer, a Fellow of the Royal Aeronautical Society, a Fellow of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, a member of the British Institute of Non-Destructive Testing and a member of the Institute of Asset Management. He has published over 100 technical papers from a wide range of collaborative projects with industry, helping to solve real problems and to devise innovative products and services.
- Industrial maintenance research, including systems, failure modes, vibration and wear debris, wireless sensing, automation, decision-making mathematics, and management processes
- Gearbox degradation: surface damage and root cracking
- Integrated through-life support for high-value systems: aiming to enable improved integration between architectural levels in data-rich environments in automated, intelligent maintenance, responding to business pull and demonstrating value
- Course Tutor for the Through-life System Sustainment MSc course.
- Network Rail
- BAE Systems
- UK Space Agency.
- Procter & Gamble
Articles In Journals
- Turner C, Ravi PT, Tiwari A, Starr A & Blacktop K (2017) A software architecture for autonomous maintenance scheduling: Scenarios for UK and European rail, International Journal of Transport Development and Integration, 1 (3) 371-381.
- Turner C, Tiwari A, Starr A & Blacktop K (2016) A review of key planning and scheduling in the rail industry in Europe and UK, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part F: Journal of Rail and Rapid Transit, 230 (3) 984-998.
- Emmanouilidis C, Pistofidis P, Fournaris A, Bevilacqua M, Durazo-Cardenas I, Botsaris PN, Katsouros V, Koulamas C & Starr AG (2016) Context-based and human-centred information fusion in diagnostics, IFAC papers online, 49 (28) 220-225.
- Nsugbe E, Starr A & Ruiz Carcel C (2016) Monitoring the particle size distribution of a powder mixing process with acoustic emissions: a review, Engineering & Technology (E&T) Reference, 2016 1-12.
- Nsugbe E, Starr A, Foote P, Ruiz Carcel C & Jennions I (2016) Size differentiation of a continuous stream of particles using acoustic emissions, Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 139, article number 2066.
- Rodrigues D, Erkoyuncu J, Starr A, Wilding S, Dibble A, Laity M, Owen R, (2015) A conceptual framework to assess the impact of training on equipment cost and availability in the military context, Procedia CIRP, 38 112-117.
- Durazo-Cardenas I, Starr A, Tsourdos A, Bevilacqua M & Morineau J Precise vehicle location as a fundamental parameter for intelligent selfaware rail-track maintenance systems, Procedia CIRP, 22 219-224.
- Rzeszucinski PJ, Sinha JK, Edwards R, Starr A & Allen B (2012) Amplitude of probability density function (APDF) of vibration response as a robust tool for gearbox diagnosis, Strain, 48 (6) 510-516.
- Rzeszucinski PJ, Sinha JK, Edwards R, Starr A & Allen B (2012) Normalised Root Mean Square and Amplitude of Sidebands of Vibration Response as Tools for Gearbox Diagnosis, Strain, 48 (6) 445-452.
- Phillips P, Diston D & Starr A (2011) Perspectives on the commercial development of landing gear health monitoring systems, Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies, 19 (6) 1339-1352.
- Phillips P, Diston D & Starr A (2011) Towards a business enterprise strategy to support the integration of proactive aerospace maintenance technologies, Insight - Non-Destructive Testing & Condition Monitoring, 53 (9) 502-506.
- Anvari F, Edwards R & Starr A (2010) Evaluation of overall equipment effectiveness based on market, Journal of Quality in Maintenance Engineering, 16 (3) 256-270.
- Anvari F, Edwards R & Starr A (2010) Methodology and theory evaluation of overall equipment effectiveness based on market, Journal of Quality in Maintenance Engineering, 16 (3) 256-270.
- Albarbar A, Gu F, Ball AD & Starr A (2010) Acoustic monitoring of engine fuel injection based on adaptive filtering techniques, Applied Acoustics, 71 (12) 1132-1141.
- Khan MA, Cooper D & Starr A (2009) BS-ISO helical gear fatigue life estimation and wear quantitative feature analysis, Strain, 45 (4) 358-363.
- Albarbar A, Badri A, Sinha JK & Starr A (2009) Performance evaluation of MEMS accelerometers, Measurement, 42 (5) 790-795.
- Khan MA, Starr AG & Cooper D (2008) A methodology for online wear debris morphology and composition analysis, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part J: Journal of Engineering Tribology, 222 (7) 785-796.
- Albarbar A, Mekid S, Starr A & Pietruszkiewicz R (2008) Suitability of MEMS accelerometers for condition monitoring: An experimental study, Sensors, 8 (2) 784-799.
- Albarbar A, Ball A & Starr A (2008) On acoustic measurement-based condition monitoring of internal combustion engines, Insight - Non-Destructive Testing & Condition Monitoring, 50 (1) 30-34.
- Khan MA & Starr AG (2007) Theoretical and experimental working life comparison for a helical gear under linear pitting failure, Applied Mechanics and Materials, 7-8 95-100.
- Albarbar A, Gu F, Ball A & Starr A (2007) Internal combustion engine lubricating oil condition monitoring based on vibro-acoustic measurements, Insight - Non-Destructive Testing & Condition Monitoring, 49 (12) 715-718.
- Khan MA, Starr AG & Cooper D (2007) Academic and commercial efforts in Wear Debris Analysis Automation (WDAA), Insight - Non-Destructive Testing & Condition Monitoring, 49 (12) 726-732.
- Moore WJ & Starr AG (2006) An intelligent maintenance system for continuous cost-based prioritisation of maintenance activities, Computers in Industry, 57 (6) 595-606.
- Khan MA & Starr AG (2006) Wear debris: Basic features and machine health diagnostics, Insight - Non-Destructive Testing & Condition Monitoring, 48 (8) 470-476.
- Willetts R, Starr AG, Doyle A & Barnes J (2005) Generating adaptive alarms for condition monitoring data, International Journal of Comadem, 8 (3) 26-36.
- Esteban J, Starr A, Willetts R, Hannah P & Bryanston-Cross P (2005) A review of data fusion models and architectures: Towards engineering guidelines, Neural Computing and Applications, 14 (4) 273-281.
- Moore T, Starr A & Hesketh G (2004) A hierarchical multi-stage data fusion approach to non-destructive evaluation of aero engine components, Insight - Non-Destructive Testing & Condition Monitoring, 46 (8) 468-472.
- Hu W, Starr AG & Leung AYT (2003) Operational fault diagnosis of manufacturing systems, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 133 (1-2) 108-117.
- Starr A, Hannah P, Esteban J & Willetts R (2002) Data fusion as a model for advanced condition-based maintenance, Insight - Non-Destructive Testing & Condition Monitoring, 44 (8) 503-507.
- Hu W, Starr A, Zhou Z & Leung A (2001) An intelligent integrated system scheme for machine tool diagnostics, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 18 (11) 836-841.
- Hu W, Starr A & Leung A (2001) A multisensor-based system for manufacturing process monitoring, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture, 215 (9) 1165-1175.
- Starr A & Ball A (2000) Systems integration in maintenance engineering, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part E: Journal of Process Mechanical Engineering, 214 (2) 79-95.
- Hu W, Starr AG, Zhou Z & Leung AYT (2000) Systematic approach to integrated fault diagnosis of flexible manufacturing systems, International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, 40 (11) 1587-1602.
- Stanley P & Starr AG (2000) Stress concentrations at an oblique hole in a thick plate, Journal of Strain Analysis for Engineering Design, 35 (2) 143-147.
- Rajendran S, Leung AYT, Starr AG & Chan JKW (1999) Bifurcation and stability of a three-hinged rod under a conservative load, International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, 44 (5) 657-696.
- Hu W, Starr AG & Leung AYT (1999) Two diagnostic models for PLC controlled flexible manufacturing systems, International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, 39 (12) 1979-1991.
- Starr AG, Wynne RJ & Kennedy I (1999) Failure analysis of mature robots in automated production, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture, 213 (8) 813-824.
- Bevilacqua M, Tsourdos A & Starr A (2016) Egomotion estimation for monocular camera visual odometer. In: 2016 IEEE International Instrumentation and Measurement Technology Conference, Taipei, 23 May 2016.
- Nsugbe E, Starr A, Foote P, Ruiz-Carcel C & Jennions I (2016) Size Differentiation Of A Continuous Stream Of Particles Using Acoustic Emissions. In: 20th Innovative Manufacturing Engineering and Energy Conference (IManEE 2016), Kozani, Greece, 23 September 2016.
- Bevilacqua M, Tsourdos A, Starr A & Durazo-Cardenas I (2015) Data fusion strategy for precise vehicle location for intelligent self-aware maintenance systems. In: IEEE 6th International Conference on Intelligent Systems, Modelling and Simulation (ISMS), 2015, Kuala Lumpur, 9 February 2015.
- Rodrigues D, Erkoyuncu J, Starr A, Wilding S, Dibble A & Laity M (2015) Review of the modelling approaches for availability contracts in the military context. In: 7th Industrial Product-Service Systems Conference - PSS, industry transformation for sustainability and business, Ecole des Mines Saint-Etienne, France, 21 May 2015.
- Kirkwood L, Shehab E, Baguley P & Starr A Uncertainty of net present value calculations and the impact on applying integrated maintenance approaches to the UK rail industry. In: 4th international conference on through-life engineering services (TESConf 2015), Cranfield, 3 November 2015.
- Durazo-Cardenas I, Starr A, Turner C, Kirkwood L, Bevilacqua M, Baguley P & Shehab E (2015) An Intelligent Maintenance System for the Rail: Integrating Condition, Planning and Cost. In: Railway Engineering 2015, Edinburgh, 30 June 2015.
- Turner CJ, Tiwari A, Starr A, Durazo-Cardenas I & Blacktop K (2015) An intelligent framework and prototype for autonomous maintenance planning in the rail industry. In: 1st international conference on vehicle technology and intelligent transport systems (VEHITS 2015), Lisbon, 20 May 2015.
- Starr A, Hannah P, Esteban J & Willetts R (2001) Data fusion as a model for advanced condition based maintenance. In: 2001 International Congress on Condition Monitoring and Diagnostic Engineering Management (COMADEM '01), Manchester.
- Moore TD & Starr A (2001) Development of an automated fluorescent dye penetrant inspection system. In: 14th International Congress on Condition monitoring and diagnostic engineering management (COMADEM 2001), Manchester, 4 September 2001.
- Hannah P, Starr A & Bryanston-Cross P (2001) Condition monitoring and diagnostic engineering - A data fusion approach. In: 14th International Congress on Condition monitoring and diagnostic engineering management (COMADEM 2001), Manchester, 4 September 2001.
- Starr A, Esteban J, Hannah P, Willetts R & Bryanston-Cross P (2000) Strategies in data fusion for condition monitoring. In: Quality, Reliability and Maintenance 2000 (QRM 2000), Oxford, 30 March 2000.
- Starr A, Desforges M & Esteban J (1999) Strategies in data fusion - A condition monitoring approach. In: 1999 International congress on condition monitoring and diagnostic engineering management (COMADEM '99), Sunderland.
- Starr A (1995) 3D machine vision metrology. In: 2nd International Conference and Exhibition on Laser Metrology and Machine Performance (LAMDAMAP 95), Southampton, 11 July 1995.
- Starr A, Wynne RJ & Kennedy I (1994) Using condition monitoring to enhance robot position control. In: 12th IFAC World Congress 1993, Sydney, 8 July 1993.
- Gilabert E, Jantunen E, Emmanouilidis C, Starr A & Arnaiz A (2013) Optimizing E-maintenance through intelligent data processing systems. In: Engineering Asset Management 2011. Jay Lee, Jun Ni, Jagnathan Sarangapani, Joseph Mathew (ed.), London: Springer, p. 1-9.
- Starr A, Al-Najjar B, Holmberg K, Jantunen E, Bellew J & Albarbar A (2010) Maintenance today and future trends. In: E-maintenance. Holmberg K, Jantunen E, Adgar A, Mascolo J, Arnaiz A, Mekid S (ed.), London: Springer, p. 5-37, ed. 1.
- Mekid S, Starr A, Pietruszkiewicz & R (2010) Intelligent Wireless Sensors. In: E-maintenance. Holmberg K, Jantunen E, Adgar A, Mascolo J, Arnaiz A, Mekid S (ed.), London: Springer, p. 83-123.