Contact Professor Amer Hameed
- Tel: +44 (0) 1793 785020
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Areas of expertise
- Gun Technologies
- Vehicle Engineering & Mobility
- Weapons Engineering
- BSc (Honours) Mechanical Engineering, NWFP University of Engineering and Technology, Peshawar Pakistan
- MSc Gun Systems Design, Cranfield University, UK
- PhD Gun Barrel Design Optimisation, Cranfield University, UK
- Projectile range enhancement using rocket and base bleed
- Gun barrel heat transfer
- Concept Design of an unmanned ground vehicle for IEDs neutralisation
Teaching and Administration
- Head for Centre for Defence Engineering
- Course Director of Vehicle and Weapon Engineering, USA
- Module manager of BTC - Lethality
- Module Manager of Gun Systems Design
- Programme Manager or team leader of various CPD courses delivered abroad including Fighting Vehicle Design
- BP, GPO, USA
- TARDEC, USA
- KADDB, Jordan
- BAE Systems
- General Dynamics Land Systems, UK and USA
- Ricardo, UK
- DE&S, UK
- Dstl, UK
- Frontier Ballistic Ventures Ltd
- Brighton University UK
- Hale university KSA
- RMC Canada,
Articles In Journals
- Muster M, Hameed A & Wood D (2020) Ricochet quantification using a multiple sensor approach, Defence Technology, Available online 20 February 2020.
- Lesmana D, Arifurrahman F, Hameed A, Appleby-Thomas GJ & Santosa SP (2019) On the importance of the bullet jacket during the penetration process: reversed-ballistic experimental and numerical study, Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, 34 (5) 1871-1877.
- Appleby-Thomas GJ, Jaansalu K, Hameed A, Painter J, Shackel J & Rowley J (2019) A comparison of the ballistic behaviour of conventionally sintered and additively manufactured alumina, Defence Technology, 16 (2) 275-282.
- Muster M, Hameed A, Wood D & Wasmer K (2019) Push-out force and impulse measurement of seven types of small arms ammunition with three different surface states, AIP Advances, 9 (11).
- Agu HO, Hameed A & Appleby-Thomas GJ (2019) Comparison of the microstructure of machined and laser sintered shaped charge liner in the hydrodynamic regime, Journal of Dynamic Behavior of Materials, 5 484-494.
- Muster M, Hameed A, Wood D, Appleby-Thomas G & Wasmer K (2019) Damping of post-impact vibrations, Applied Acoustics, 156 (December) 427-433.
- Norris J, Hameed A, Economou J & Parker S (2019) A review of dual-spin projectile stability, Defence Technology, Available online 6 June 2019 (1).
- Tırak E, Moniruzzaman M, Degirmenci E & Hameed A (2019) Closed vessel burning behavior and ballistic properties of artificially-degraded spherical double-base propellants stabilized with diphenylamine, Thermochimica Acta, 680 (October) Article No. 178347.
- Muster M, Hameed A & Wood D (2019) Dynamic qualitative bolt force measurements for investigating influence factors on the pushout effect of small calibre ammunition, AIP Advances, 9 (6) Article No. 065020.
- Agu HO, Hameed A, Appleby-Thomas GJ & Wood DC (2019) The dynamic response of dense 3 dimensionally printed polylactic acid, Journal of Dynamic Behavior of Materials, Early online.
- Appleby-Thomas GJ, Fitzmaurice B, Hameed A, Painter J, Gibson M, Wood DC, Hazael R & Hazell PJ (2018) On differences in the equation-of-state for a selection of seven representative mammalian tissue analogue materials, Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials, 77 (January) 586-593.
- Agu HO, Hameed A & Appleby-Thomas GJ (2018) Application of shell jetting analysis to determine the location of the virtual origin in shaped charges, International Journal of Impact Engineering, 122 (December) 175-181.
- Wood DC, Appleby-Thomas GJ, Hameed A, Barnes NR, Hughes A & Hazell PJ (2018) The variance on the shock response of a carbon fibre composite due to the orientation of the weave, Journal of Materials Science, 53 (16) 11415-11425.
- Townsend D, Parry S, Bourne NK, Withers PJ, Wood DC, Appleby-Thomas GJ & Hameed A (2017) On the compression of aluminium foam structures under shock, AIP Conference Proceedings, 1793.
- Wood DC, Appleby-Thomas GJ, Fitzmaurice BC, Hameed A, Millett JCF & Hazell PJ (2017) On the shock response of PCTFE (Kel-F 81 (R), AIP Conference Proceedings, 1793 (1) Article No. 050005.
- Appleby-Thomas GJ, Fitzmaurice BC, Hameed A, Wood DC, Gibson MC & Painter J (2017) The shock response and suitability of Synbone (R) as a tissue simulant, AIP Conference Proceedings, 1793 (1) Article No. 140009.
- Appleby-Thomas GJ, Wood DC, Hameed A, Painter J & Fitzmaurice B (2017) On the effects of powder morphology on the post-comminution ballistic strength of ceramics, International Journal of Impact Engineering, 100 (February) 46-55.
- Appleby-Thomas GJ, Wood DC, Hameed A, Painter J, Le-Seelleur V & Fitzmaurice BC (2016) Investigation of the high-strain rate (shock and ballistic) response of the elastomeric tissue simulant Perma-Gel, International Journal of Impact Engineering, 94 (August) 74-82.
- Appleby-Thomas GJ, Wood DC, Hameed A & Leighs JA (2015) On the ballistic response of an aerospace-grade composite panel to non-spheroidised fragment simulants, Composite Structures, 119 (January) 90-98.
- Hameed A, Appleby-Thomas GJ, Wood DC, Hazell PJ & Jaansalu KM (2014) On the ballistic response of comminuted ceramics, Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 500 (11).
- Leighs JA, Appleby-Thomas GJ, Wood DC, Goff MJ, Hameed A & Hazell PJ (2014) The bactericidal effect of shock waves, Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 500 (18) Article No. 182026.
- Petel OE, Appleby-Thomas GJ, Hameed A, Capozzi A, Goroshin S, Frost DL & Hazell PJ (2014) Lateral stress evolution in Chromium Sulfide, Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 500 (18).
- Gibson MC, Hameed A & Hetherington JG (2014) Investigation of residual stress development during swage autofrettage, using finite element analysis, Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology, 136 (2) 021206-1-021206-7.
- Hameed A, Azavedo M & Pitcher P (2014) Experimental investigation of a cook-off temperature in a hot barrel, Defence Technology, Vol. 10 (2) 86-91.
- Hussain G, Hameed A, Hetherington JG, Barton PC & Malik AQ (2013) Hydrocode simulation with modified Johnson-Cook model and experimental analysis of explosively formed projectiles, Journal of Energetic Materials, 31 (2) 143-155.
- Hussain G, Hameed A, Hetherington JG, Malik AQ & Sanaullaha K (2013) Analytical performance study of explosively formed projectiles, Journal of Applied Mechanics and Technical Physics, 54 (1) 10-20.
- Wielewski E, Appleby-Thomas GJ, Hazell PJ & Hameed A (2013) An experimental investigation into the micro-mechanics of spall initiation and propagation in Ti-6Al-4V during shock loading, Materials Science and Engineering A: Structural Materials: Properties, Microstructures and Processing, 578 331-339.
- Appleby-Thomas GJ, Hazell PJ, Sheldon RP, Stennett C, Hameed A & Wilgeroth JM (2013) The high strain-rate behaviour of selected tissue analogues, Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials, 33.
- Hussain G, Hameed A, Hetherington JG, Malik AQ & Sanaullah K (2013) The Explosively Formed Projectile (EFP) as a standoff sea mine neutralization device, Journal of Energetic Materials, 31 (2) 100-114.
- Gibson MC, Hameed A & Hetherington JG (2012) Investigation of driving force variation during swage autofrettage, using finite element analysis, Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology, 134 (5) Article No. 051203.
- Leighs JA, Appleby-Thomas GJ, Stennett C, Hameed A, Wilgeroth JM & Hazell PJ (2012) A sealed capsule system for biological and liquid shock-recovery experiments, Review of Scientific Instruments, 83 (11) Article No. 115113.
- Hussain G, Hameed A, Horsfall I, Barton P & Malik AQ (2012) Experimental and simulation optimization analysis of the Whipple shields against shaped charge, Acta Mechanica Sinica, 28 (3) 877-884.
- Parker AP, Gibson MC, Hameed A & Troiano E (2012) Material modeling for autofrettage stress analysis including the "Single Effective Material", Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology, 134 (4) 041004-041004-7.
- Gibson MC, Parker AP, Hameed A & Hetherington JG (2012) Implementing realistic, nonlinear, material stress-strain behavior in ANSYS for the autofrettage of thick-walled cylinders, Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology, 134 (5) Article No. 051202.
- Hussain G, Hameed A, Barton P, Malik AQ, Khan MB & Hussain A (2012) Liner material's output characteristics of explosively formed projectiles (EFPs), Key Engineering Materials, 510-511 (1) 148-155.
- Hussain G, Malik AQ & Hameed A (2011) Gradient valued profiles and L/D ratio of Al EFP with modified Johnson Cook model., Journal of Materials Science and Engineering, 5 (5) 599-604.
- Mishra A, Hameed A & Lawton B (2010) Transient thermal analyses of midwall cooling and external cooling methods for a gun barrel, Journal of Heat Transfer, 132 (9) 1-8.
- Mishra A, Hameed A & Lawton B (2010) A Novel scheme for computing gun barrel temperature history and its experimental validation, Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology, 132 (6).
- Allen P, Hameed A & Goyder H (2007) Measurement and modelling of carbon black filled natural rubber components, International Journal of Vehicle Systems Modelling and Testing, 2 (4) 315-344.
- Gibson MC, Hameed A, Parker AP & Hetherington JG (2006) A Comparison of Methods for Predicting Residual Stresses in Strain-Hardening, Autofrettaged Thick Cylinders, including the Bauschinger Effect, Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology, 128 (2) 217-222.
- Allen P, Hameed A & Goyder HGD (2006) Automotive damper model for use in multi-body dynamic simulations, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering, 220 (D9) 1221-1233.
- Leng JS, Hameed A, Winter D, Barnes RA, Mays GC & Fernando GF (2006) Fibre optic protection system for concrete structures, Journal of Materials Science and Technology, 22 (3) 404-410.
- Leng JS, Barnes RA, Hameed A, Winter D, Tetlow J, Mays GC & Fernando GF (2006) Structural NDE of concrete structures using protected EFPI and FBG sensors, Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, 126 (2) 340-347.
- Iremonger MJ, Showichen A, Hameed A & Hetherington JG (2005) Simulation of Plate Structure Subjected to Anti-Tank Mine Blast, Journal of Battlefield Technology, 8 (1) 1-7.
- Hameed A, Hetherington JG & Brown RD (2004) Design Trends in the Development of Large Calibre Kinetic Energy Round, Journal of Battlefield Technology, 7 (3) 9-16.
- Hameed A, Brown RD & Hetherington JG (2004) A Study of the Residual Stress Distribution in an Autofrettaged Thick-Walled Cylinder with Cross-Bore, Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology, 126 (4) 497-503.
- Fernando GF, Hameed A, Winter D, Tetlow J & Leng J (2003) Structural Integrity Monitoring of Concrete Structures via Optical Fibre Sensors and Sensors Protection Systems, Structural Health Monitoring, 2 (2) 123-135.
- Hameed A, Brown RD & Hetherington JG (2003) Numerical Analysis of the Effect of Machining on the Depth of Yield, Maximum Firing Pressure and Residual Stress Profile in an Autofrettaged Gun Tube, Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology, 125 (3) 342-346.
- Hameed A, Fernando GF, Hetherington JG, Leng J & Barnes RA (2002) Investigation of Strain Transfer to a Sensor Protection System Embedded in Concrete using Finite Element Analysis, Materials and Structures, 35 (253) 557-563.
- Appleby-Thomas G, Fitzmaurice B, Hameed A, Wood D, Gibson M & Painter J (2015) On the suitability of Synbone® as a tissue simulant.. In: 19th Biennial International Conference of the APS Topical Group on Shock Compression of Condensed Matter (SCCM-2015), Tampa, Florida, 14-19 June 2015.
- Zagorecki A, Hameed A & Shukla A (2011) Lethality analysis based on a fragmentation model for naturally fragmenting shells.
- Talukdar S, Awan MA & Hameed DA (2011) Implementation of low cost inertial measurement unit (IMU) integrated with a global positioning system (GPS) receiver- a study. In: SAE 2011 World Congress & Exhibition,, Detroit, MI, 12 April 2011.
- Gibson MC, Hameed A & Hetherington JG (2010) Investigation of residual stress development during swage autofrettage, using finite element analysis. In: ASME 2009 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition (IMECE2009), Lake Buena Vista, FL, 13-19 November 2009.
- Mishra A, Hameed A & Lawton B (2009) Assessment of variable thermophysical properties on temperature history of a 155 mm gun barrel using ANSYS. In: 2009 International Conference on Methods and Models in Computer Science (ICM2CS 2009), New Delhi, 14-15 December 2009.
- Ahmed N, Brown RD & Hameed A (2008) Finite element modelling and simulation of gun dynamics using 'ANSYS'. In: Tenth International Conference on Computer Modeling and Simulation, 2008 (UKSIM 2008), Cambridge, 1-3 April 2008.
- Parker AP, Gibson MC, Hameed A, Troiano E & Hetherington JG (2008) Material Modeling for Autofrettage Stress Analysis Including the 'Single Effective Material'. In: ASME 2008 Pressure Vessels and Piping Conference (PVP 2008), Chicago, Illinois, 27-31 July 2008.
- Gibson M, Hameed A, Hetherington J & Parker A (2007) Custom material modeling within FEA for use in autofrettage simulation. In: ASME 2007 Pressure Vessels and Piping Conference (PVP2007), San Antonio, TX, 22-26 July 2007.
- Krishnamurthy S, Badcock RA, Fernando GF & Hameed A (2005) Novel prestressing methodology for autoclave processing of composites: Fabrication and mechanical performance. In: SAMPE 2005, Long Beach, CA, 1 May 2005.
- Sunitha P, Jelic Z, Kumar S, Hameed A, Gibson M, Ali A & Ram M J Analysis on grain structural integrity of gun launched rocket assisted projectile - Range Enhanced Projectile (REP). In: 8th International High Energy Materials Conference & Exhibit, Terminal Ballistics Research Laboratory, Sector 30, Chandigarh, 10 November 2011.