Contact Paul Lighterness
Areas of expertise
- Agrifood Systems
- Aircraft Design
- Human Factors
- Product and Service Design
- Water Science and Engineering
Paul Lighterness is a Lecturer in Breakthrough Innovation. Graduating from the Royal College of Art in Design Products under the tutorage of some of the worlds most established designers he has since worked in Industry and Education, both internationally and throughout the UK.
He has worked as a design consultant working with SME’s (Small to Medium sized Enterprises), as well as established global brands, contributing to the design and development of a wide range of products, processes, services and marketing solutions meeting Client and Customer needs.
He is a Fellow of the RSA (Royal Society for the Encouragement of Arts, Manufacturers and Commerce), Member of the Institute of Engineering Designers and Member of the Chartered Society of Designers. He has worked with the Design Council and their “Designers in Schools” programme to encourage the development of Design education in Schools, and presented talks and workshops on Design and design realisation in South Korea, Japan and Malaysia.
As part of Anglo Japanese design collective CO/EX he has exhibited work at the Milan Furniture Fair, 100% Design, Designers Block amongst many more events. His work has received many International accolades and prizes, and features in the world’s press.
- User Centric Research methods
- Concept Ideation (Generating designs through traditional sketching and rendering methods)
- Early prototyping and modelling
- Product prototyping and realisation
- Product production.
Current ActivitiesPaul Lighterness is currently working on a number of confidential research projects for established brands within the Aerospace, Food production and FMCG sectors to design and develop new product solutions for globally recognised brands and organisations, and continues to promote and educate about design methodologies to practicing designers, business groups and engineers amongst others.
· European Commission (Research - Technical Office Management Project)
· British Council/ Keio University (Experience Japan)
· Design Council (Designers in Schools)
· Unilever (Branding and Consultation)
· Volleyball England (Product Development/ Research)
Fjord Design (Product
· The Bradley Collection (Market Research/Product Development)
Things (Product Development)
Table Top Cooking Company (Product
· Ummah Foods Ltd (Product Development)
· NewCo Ltd (Product Development)
· Sustainability Research Institute (University of East London)
· Product Design Lab (Client Product Development)
Articles In Journals
- Zhang M, Shi H, Williams L, Lighterness P, Li M & Khan AU (2023) An empirical test of the influence of rural leadership on the willingness to participate in public affairs from the perspective of leadership identification, Agriculture, 13 (10) Article No. 1976.
- Zhu B, Williams L, Lighterness P & Gao P (2021) Impact of crowdsourcee’s vertical fairness concern on the crowdsourcing knowledge sharing behavior and its incentive mechanism, Journal of Systems Science and Complexity, 34 (3) 1102-1120.
- Xie J, Unnikrishnan D, Williams L, Encinas-Oropesa A, Mutnuri S, Sharma N, Jeffrey P, Zhu B & Lighterness P (2020) Influence of domain experience on icon recognition and preferences, Behaviour and Information Technology, Available online 31 July 2020 (1).
- Quqandi S, Lighterness P & Williams L (2022) Design for sentiment-ancy: conceptual framework to improve user’s well-being through fostering emotional attachment in the user experience with their assistive devices. In: 24th International Conference on Engineering and Product Design Education (E&PDE 2022), London, 8-9 September 2022.