Areas of expertise
- Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Computing, Simulation & Modelling
- Gas Turbines & Propulsion
Dr. Righi holds the title of Research Fellow in the School of Aerospace Transport and Manufacturing at Cranfield University.
Dr. Righi holds a BSc in “Aerospace Engineering” from the Politecnico di Milano, an MSc in “Aeronautic Engineering” from the Politecnico di Milano, and an MSc in “Thermal Power” from Cranfield University. He received his PhD Degree in “Advanced Compressor Aerodynamics” from Cranfield University in 2018.
He joined Cranfield University as a researcher after completion of his PhD, to continue his study and transfer the new program developed to the sponsor company.
Dr. Righi is affiliated with the Gas Turbine Engineering Group and the Rolls-Royce University Technology at Cranfield University. His current research interests include compressor stall, operability and sub-idle performance as well as numerical schemes for Computational Fluid Dynamics. The focus of his work is the creation of a low-order through-flow unsteady model to simulate the whole compression system operation during compressor stall with acceptable computational cost.
His research on compressor stall modelling and sub-idle performance prediction has been published in a high-impact journal and presented in conferences.
Articles In Journals
- Righi M, Ferrer-Vidal LE & Pachidis V (2020) Body-force and mean-line models for the generation of axial compressor sub-idle characteristics, The Aeronautical Journal, 124 (1281) 1683-1701.
- Righi M, Pachidis V & Konozsy L (2020) On the prediction of the reverse flow and rotating stall characteristics of high-speed axial compressors using a three-dimensional through-flow code, Aerospace Science and Technology, 99 (April) Article No. 105578.
- Righi M, Pachidis V, Könözsy L, Zhao F & Vahdati M (2020) Three-dimensional low-order surge model for high-speed axial compressors, Journal of the Global Power and Propulsion Society, 4 274-284.
- Righi M, Pachidis V, Könözsy L & Pawsey L (2018) Three-dimensional through-flow modelling of axial flow compressor rotating stall and surge, Aerospace Science and Technology, 78 (July) 271-279.
- Righi M, Ferrer-Vidal LE, Allegretti A & Pachidis P (2020) Low-order models for the calculation of compressor sub-idle characteristics. In: ISABE 2019: 24th Conference of the International Society of Air Breathing Engines, Canberra, Australia, 22-27 September 2019.
- Righi M, Pachidis V, Konozsy L, Zhao F & Vahdati M (2020) Three-dimensional low-order surge model for high-speed axial compressors. In: GPSS Global Power and Propulsion Chania 20 Technical Conference, Online, 7-9 September 2020.