Contact Matteo Migliorini
Areas of expertise
- Test and Evaluation
- Gas Turbines & Propulsion
- Instrumentation, Sensors and Measurement Science
Matteo Migliorini is a Reseach Fellow in Experimental Propulsion Aerodynamics within the Propulsion Engineering Centre. He holds a MSc and a BSc in Mechanical Engineering from the Polytechnic University of Turin, Italy. During his MSc, he also studied also at the Ostbayerische Technische Hochschule (OTH) in Regensburg, Germany for the Master Thesis project in the LWS wind tunnel, with Dr. Stephan Laemmlein. Since 2017, he is undertaking a PhD research project at Cranfield University under the supervision of Prof. David MacManus and Dr. Pavlos Zachos. He focuses on Particle Image Velocimetry (PIV) measurements for aero-engine complex intakes.
- Experimental investigation on the aerodynamics of complex aero-engine intakes at the UTC for Aero Systems Design, Integration and Performance.
- Use of Stereo Particle Image Velocimetry (S-PIV) to measure non-intrusively the S-duct intake flow distortion
- Testing of S-duct intakes with inlet total pressure and swirl distortion
- Development of tools and methods for unsteady flow distortion analysis.
- Spectral analysis, Proper Orthogonal Decomposition and methods to track unsteady swirl distortion features.
- Extreme distortion modelling with statistical methods such as Extreme Value Theory
- Development of rigs and facilities for testing complex intakes
Articles In Journals
- Migliorini M, Zachos PK & MacManus DG (2022) Novel method for evaluating intake unsteady flow distortion, Journal of Propulsion and Power, 38 (1) 135-147.
- Migliorini M, Zachos PK, MacManus DG & Haladuda P (2022) S-duct flow distortion with non-uniform inlet conditions, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part G: Journal of Aerospace Engineering, Available online 24 May 2022.
- Doll U, Migliorini M, Baikie J, Zachos PK, Röhle I, Melnikov S, Steinbock J, Dues M, Kapulla R, MacManus DG & Lawson NJ (2022) Non-intrusive flow diagnostics for unsteady inlet flow distortion measurements in novel aircraft architectures, Progress in Aerospace Sciences, 130 (April) Article No. 100810.
- McLelland G, MacManus DG, Zachos PK, Gil-Prieto D & Migliorini M (2020) Influence of upstream total pressure profiles on S-duct intake flow distortion, Journal of Propulsion and Power, 36 (3) 346-356.
- Migliorini M, Zachos PK, MacManus DG & Monnier V (2022) A study on the development of the flow distortion downstream of an s-duct intake. In: ICAS 2022: 33rd Congress of the International Council of the Aeronautical Sciences, Stockholm, 4-9 September 2022.
- Guerrero-Hurtado M, Zachos PK, MacManus DG, Migliorini M & Trapani G (2019) Unsteady swirl distortion characteristics for S-ducts using Lattice Boltzmann and time-resolved, stereo PIV methods. In: AIAA Propulsion and Energy 2019 Forum, Indianapolis, 19-22 August 2019.
- Migliorini M, Zachos PK & MacManus DG (2019) An assessment on the unsteady flow distortion generated by an S-duct intake. In: AIAA Propulsion and Energy 2019 Forum, Indianapolis, 19-22 August 2019.
- Migliorini M, Zachos PK & MacManus (2019) The impact of inlet boundary layer thickness on the unsteady aerodynamics of S-duct intakes. In: AIAA Propulsion and Energy 2019 Forum, Indianapolis, 19-22 August 2019.