Contact Luis Ferrer-Vidal Espana-Heredia
Areas of expertise
- Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Computing, Simulation & Modelling
- Gas Turbines & Propulsion
- Instrumentation, Sensors and Measurement Science
- Power Systems & Turbines
Dr. Ferrer-Vidal is a Research Fellow in Aero Engine Aerodynamics and Performance, within the Centre for Propulsion Engineering (School of Aerospace, Transport and Manufacturing) at Cranfield University.
Prior to joining Cranfield University, Luis worked as a Project Engineer at Mitsubishi Hitachi Power Systems Americas, dealing mostly with auxiliary systems for Gas Turbine Combined Cycle power plants. He holds BS and MS degrees in Aerospace Engineering from Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University.
Dr. Ferrer-Vidal is an "Engineer Intern" by the Florida Board of Professional Engineers and holds an FAA Private Pilot certificate (ASEL), an FAA Instrument Rating, and an EASA Private Pilot license (ASEP). He is a member of "Sigma Gamma Tau" and "Tau Beta Pi" engineering honor societies as well as an AIAA member.
Dr. Ferrer-Vidal is affiliated with Prof. Pachidis' Gas Turbine Engineering Group and the Rolls-Royce University Technology Centre at Cranfield. Current activities include EU and UK funded programs looking at the performance and operability of future large bypass engine architectures during start-up and relight.
Research interests include: aerospace propulsion, fluid dynamics, gas turbine performance, numerical modelling (CFD), and experimental aerodynamics.
Articles In Journals
- Ferrer-Vidal LE, Iglesias-Perez A & Pachidis V (2020) Characterization of axial compressor performance at locked rotor and torque-free windmill conditions, Aerospace Science and Technology, Available online 28 April 2020.
- Ferrar-Vidal LE, Schneider M, Allegretti A & Pachidis V (2019) A loss and deflection model for compressor blading and high negative incidence, Journal of Turbomachinery, Available online 25 September 2019, (12) Article No. TURBO-19-1050.
- Righi M, Ferrer-Vidal LE, Allegretti A & Pachidis P (2020) Low-order models for the calculation of compressor sub-idle characteristics. In: ISABE 2019: 24th Conference of the International Society of Air Breathing Engines, Canberra, Australia, 22-27 September 2019.
- Ferrer-Vidal LE, Pachidis V & Tunstall RJ (2018) An enhanced compressor sub-idle map generation method. In: GPPS Forum 18, Zurich, 10-12 January 2018.