Areas of expertise
- Instrumentation, Sensors and Measurement Science
- Vehicle Aerodynamics
Research related to ground vehicle aerodynamics with a focus on drag reduction/ improved fuel economy in passenger cars and HGV's.
Articles In Journals
- Lawson NJ, Jacques H, Gautrey JE, Cooke AK, Holt JC & Garry KP (2017) Jetstream 31 National Flying Laboratory: Lift and drag measurement and modelling, Aerospace Science and Technology, 60 (January) 84-95.
- Lawson NJ, Correia R, James SW, Partridge M, Staines SE, Gautrey JE, Garry KP, Holt JC & Tatam RP (2016) Development and application of optical fibre strain and pressure sensors for in-flight measurements, Measurement Science and Technology, 27 (10) Article No. 104001.
- Holt JC, Garry KP & Velikov S (2015) A wind tunnel investigation into the effects of roof curvature on the aerodynamic drag experienced by a light goods vehicle, International Journal of Vehicle Design, 67 (1) 45-62.
- Lawson NJ, Gautrey JE, Salmon N, Garry KP & Pintiau A (2014) Modelling of a Scottish Aviation Bulldog using reverse engineering, wind tunnel and numerical methods, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part G: Journal of Aerospace Engineering, 228 (14) 2736-2742.
- Howell J, Holt JC & Garry KP (2014) The Aerodynamics of a Small Car Overtaking a Truck, SAE International Journal of Passenger Cars - Mechanical Systems, 7 (2) 626-638.
- Holt JC & Garry KP (2013) The impact of inlet flow conditions on the aerodynamic performance of a NACA submerged intake for ground vehicle applications., Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering, 227 (10) 1471-1479.
- Bennett M, Christie SM, Graham A, Garry KP, Velikov S, Poll DIA, Smith MG, Mead MI, Olalekan A, Popoola M, Gregor Stewart G & Jones RL (2013) Abatement of an aircraft exhaust plume using aerodynamic baffles, Environmental Science and Technology, 47 (5) 2346-2352.
- Moraris VM, Lawson NJ & Garry KP (2012) Aerodynamic and performance characteristics of a passive leading edge Kruger flap at low Reynolds numbers, Aeronautical Journal -New Series-, 116 (1181) 759-769.
- Dinesh KKJR, Savill AM, Garry KP, Holt JC, Poll DIA & Kirkpatrick MP (2012) Modelling of coaxial jet efflux mixing using LES, International Journal of Fluid Mechanics Research, 39 (1) 20-39.
- Estruch D, MacManus DG, Richardson DP, Lawson NJ, Garry KP & Stollery JL (2010) Experimental study of unsteadiness in supersonic shock-wave/turbulent boundary-layer interactions with separation, The Aeronautical Journal, 114 (1155) 299-308.
- Estruch D, MacManus DG, Stollery JL, Lawson NJ & Garry KP (2010) Hypersonic interference heating in the vicinity of surface protuberances, Experiments in Fluids, 49 (3) 683-699.
- Estruch D, Lawson NJ, MacManus DG, Garry KP & Stollery JL (2009) Schlieren visualization of high-speed flows using a continuous LED light source, Journal of Visualization, 12 (4) 289-290.
- Estruch D, Lawson NJ & Garry KP (2009) Application of Optical Measurement Techniques to Supersonic and Hypersonic Aerospace Flows, Journal of Aerospace Engineering, 22 (4) 383-395.
- Estruch D, Lawson NJ, MacManus DG, Garry KP & Stollery JL (2008) Measurement of shock wave unsteadiness using a high-speed schlieren system and digital image processing, Review of Scientific Instruments, 79 (12) 126108-1-126108-3.
- Lawson NJ, Garry KP & Faucompret N (2007) An investigation of the flow characteristics in the bootdeck region of a scale model notchback saloon vehicle, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering, 221 (6) 739-754.
- Williams SP & Garry KP (1996) An experimental investigation into yaw control at high alpha on a chined forebody using slot blowing, Aeronautical Journal -New Series-, 100 (998 (10)) 355-363.
- Proenca AR, Gerhard K, Prince SA, Garry KP & Tragin T (2022) Roughness effects on the aerodynamic forces and wake flowfield of spinning cylinders. In: AIAA Aviation 2022 Forum, Chicago, IL, 27 June - 1 July 2022.
- Prince SA, Di Pasquale D & Garry K (2020) Progress towards a rapid method for conceptual aerodynamic design for transonic cruise. In: 2020 AIAA SciTech Forum, Orlando, Florida, 6-10 January 2020.
- Barzic JB, Garry K & Prince S (2019) A study of an aero-elastic twisted inverted wing in close ground proximity. In: AIAA Scitech 2019 Forum, San Diego, 7-11 January 2019.
- Prince S, Di Pasquale D, Garry K & Nuzzo C (2018) A rapid aerodynamic prediction method for unconventional transonic aircraft configurations. In: 31st Congress of the International Council of the Aeronautical Sciences, 2018, Belo Horizonte, 9-14 September 2018.
- Papageorgiou G, Barden J, Whidborne JF & Garry K (2018) Extremum seeking control for truck drag reduction. In: UKACC 12th International Conference on Control (CONTROL 2018), Sheffield, 5-7 September 2018. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.6491846
- Garry K, Di Pasquale D, Prince S & Lawson N (2018) The influence of SPIV data processing parameters on aircraft wing wake vortex assessment. In: 31st Congress of the International Council of the Aeronautical Sciences, 2018, Belo Horizonte, 9-14 September 2018.
- Soares RF, Garry K, Holt J & Di Pasquale D (2018) A wake analysis of four DrivAer configurations: on the experimental measurements using total pressure rake. In: International Conference on Vehicle Aerodynamics, Birmingham, 16-17 October 2018.
- Soares RF, Gonalons Olives S, Knowles A, Garry K & Holt J (2018) On the aerodynamics of an enclosed-wheel racing car: an assessment and proposal of add-on devices for a fourth, high-performance configuration of the DrivAer model. In: WCX18: World Congress Experience, 2018, Detroit, 10-12 April 2018.
- Soares RF, Garry KP & Holt J (2017) Comparison of the far-field aerodynamic wake development for three DrivAer model configurations using a cost-effective RANS simulation. In: WCX17: SAE World Congress Experience, Detroit, 4-6 April 2017.
- Holt JC, Garry KP & Smith T (2016) A preliminary investigation of the aerodynamic characteristics of a lifting body in ground proximity. In: 34th AIAA Applied Aerodynamics Conference, 2016, Washington, 13-17 June 2016.
- Garry KP, Holt JC, Tanguy G & Prince SA (2016) The influence of a local change in wing dihedral on the low speed flow characteristics of rectangular planform wings. In: 30th Congress of the International Council of the Aeronautical Sciences, Daejeon, 25-30 September 2016.
- Correia R, Staines SE, James SW, Lawson N, Garry K & Tatam RP (2014) Wind tunnel unsteady pressure measurements using a differential optical fiber Fabry-Perot pressure sensor. In: 23rd international conference on optical fibre sensors (OFS-23), 2014, Santander, 2-6 June 2014.
- Spanelis A, Savill AM & Garry KP (2013) Large eddy simulations of tubofan engine exhaust plume dispersion on a take-off runway. In: ASME Turbo Expo 2013: Turbine Technical Conference and Exposition, (GT2013), San Antonio, TX, 3-7 June 2013.
- Estruch-Samper D, MacManus DG, Lawson NJ & Garry KP (2009) Hypersonic interference heating: a semi-empirical hot spot predictive approach. In: 16th AIAA/DLR/DGLR International Space Planes and Hypersonic Systems and Technologies Conference, Bremen, 19-22 October 2009.
- Chehura E, James SW, Tatam RP, Lawson N & Garry KP (2009) Pressure measurements on aircraft wing using phase-shifted fibre Bragg grating sensors. In: 20th international conference on optical fibre sensors (OFS-20), Edinburgh, 5-9 October 2009.
- Holt J & Garry K Dynamic Wind Tunnel Simulation of Aircraft Wake Vortex Trajectory in Ground Proximity. In: 54th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting, 2016, San Diego, 4-8 January 2016.
- Holt J, Garry K & Soares R Vortex induced aerodynamic forces on a flat plate in ground proximity. In: 34th AIAA Applied Aerodynamics Conference, 2016, Washington, 13-17 June 2016.