Contact Kerrie Smith
Areas of expertise
- Structures and Materials
- BSc (Physics) Warwick University, 2010-2013
- MSc (by Research), Department of Physics, Warwick University, 2013-2015
- Currently a full time PhD student at Cranfield University under the supervision of Professor Keith Rogers.
Current activitiesThe aim of this project is to develop the detection of illicit materials. Current focus, within X-ray diffraction technologies, is on utilizing the pre-existing dual-energy X-ray systems to extract more information from the data to characterise the concealed materials. Simulations of this work are done using McXtrace, a recently developed Monte Carlo simulation x-ray tracing tool. Progress in this area would have many applications not just in the aviation security industry but in areas such as medicine, validation of imported goods and weapon dismantlement verification.
- Forensics in Defence and Security, September 2015 (Poster - Won poster prize)
- Defence and Security Doctoral Symposium, November 2016 (Poster)
- Arms Control in Practice: Government and Academia Briefing day, July 2016 (Poster)
- Forensics in Defence and Security, September 2016 (Poster)
- Concealed Explosive Detection, September, 2016 (Poster)
- Defence and Security Doctoral Symposium, November 2016 (Installation)